| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Might be doing a startup instead of getting a job... Scary!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I quit my job a couple of months ago. It was boring and there wasn't any room for growth or promotion, so overall an awesome choice. Plus, I was lucky enough to save up enough to live for a while without a job and be able to travel a bit while not working.

Now I'm thinking about what to do next. I could wait it out through summer and then look for another office job (I'm in finance), but I sort of hate working 9-5... I don't mind working, but I hate when I just have to have my asparagus in a chair during certain hours no matter what the workload is.

I have a friend from grad school who I am talking about doing a tech startup with! He did his MBA when I did my MSF (masters in finance), but we never actually took a class together or worked together in school. However, I think we would work really well together, I love the idea he presented, and I have the time now that I can work on it. Is it a ridiculous idea to get involved with a startup, as one of the founders, when I will really be figuring it all out as I go and don't have a real idea of what all is involved? I'm totally willing to work my asparagus off, and I learn quickly, and I'm sure that many startups were done on a figure it out as needed basis, but I'm still a bit nervous about it. The couple of friends I've talked to about it are actually pretty supportive. One close friend is great at poking holes in ideas, but really with this he's just given me more to research and not discouraged me from moving forward at all (and his is the opinion I value most).

I'm generally super adventurous and willing to make changes in my life when things aren't working. But so far, my decisions have only affected me. Partnering up with someone for a business will mean that my actions will affect him too! Being an adult is exciting, but scary!

Post subject: Re: Might be doing a startup instead of getting a job... Sca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

If anyone has any book recommendations, please share! I'm going to start doing research into our niche, but I also want to read up on general startup business stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

no advice, just good luck! Oh, at our university they have an office specifically offering advice to students who want to go into start-ups, maybe they have something at your former university as well?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Good luck! My friend's husband did that out of his MBA at Wharton and he has done so well. Oh and another friend did the same after leaving McKinsey and sold their startup for a ton of money.

I hope things work well for you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:08 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

That's scary, for sure. But also exciting! It's risky, but it could also result in you being in your happiest career-place possible. That's the thing about startups... A lot of risk, but a lot of reward. I think it's worth continuing to research and think about at the very least, but it sounds pretty cool overall. Good luck!!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:42 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

i've worked at various startups as both a software engineer and now a consultant. i'm zero help when it comes to general startup book recommendations because books that i've read try to make the experience seem grander than what it is. my recommendation is to research and then start doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

I think you're brave. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Well, I've agreed to it! We had our first official business call last night (most of it will be worked out via phone and video chat). I'm SUPER excited!

m.iau, we'll definitely tap our university. At the very least, we are still in touch with a number of professors who would probably love/hate to hear from us!

SweetT, I'll keep that in mind as I speedread a few general startup books to get a feel. Research will begin in earnest tonight!

Thanks everyone else for the encouragement! My sister was super supportive and the few friends that I've told are being great about it, so when I inevitably get bummed out I have people close to me to remind me how awesome I am! I think I need to stock up on coffee and create a more regular "work" schedule for myself. It's on though!!