| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women who have chosen not to have kids
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

or maybe it was part of a joke, like "is your refrigerator running," and you threw the person off by making the punchline unusable. next time shout after them, "but i do have prince albert in a can, and i'm never letting him out!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I visited my friend and her one week old baby today! It was wonderful and I loved every minute of it and I left knowing absolutely 100% that I did not want to do it myself.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:00 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'll get to see my friend's baby when I go back for a visit in April and I know I'll feel the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ugh. Some idiot on Facebook posted a thing that said "the best parents get promoted to grandparents."

Yuck, fork you. I am an only child, and don't have kids - and that has absolutely nothing to do with how my parents parented. They did pretty well, actually. Certainly netter than some people who are now grandparents.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh geez. My mom was a pretty great parent. If anyone "deserves" to be "promoted," it's her. But sorry, that's just not how it works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yeah, my father is a grandparent and was one of the worst fathers ever, and definitely did nothing to get promoted. I think when people post that stuff, it's just because it makes them feel good or they're complimenting someone, but they haven't given any thought to how it affects others who aren't in that situation. I see things saying similar things about women who have given birth and even about women who gave birth completely naturally with no medical intervention. Now that crepe really peas me off too. But again, I don't think people mean to be dicks by posting it and they probably don't actually think that this person is better than that person.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Is it wrong that when people tell me stories about their babies I try to relate by talking about my dogs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:39 pm 
Chip Strong

LazySmurf wrote:
Is it wrong that when people tell me stories about their babies I try to relate by talking about my dogs?

Oh god I sure hope not! Our cats are our teenage daughters with an obscene amount of self-entitlement - always wanting a ride to the mall in our imagination.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 pm 
Chip Strong

Actually my friends with kids are really cool and will ask after the girls because they know they're like my children. But yeah, some folks don't take to kindly to the human/ fur children comparison at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:52 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

LazySmurf wrote:

Only in the eyes of people who think that comparing humans to other animals is offensive.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

mrsbadmouth wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

Only in the eyes of people who think that comparing humans to other animals is offensive.

Yeah, I've actually been shut down before for talking about my dogs during kid discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am 
WELFARIST!

I've managed to bond with a somewhat cranky older lady at my new workplace over our cats, and yesterday she said to me, 'I have 6 babies that will never grow up!' I dunno if she has grown kids or not, but I definitely saw a glimpse of my future there, haha.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

So, I really like kids, babies included, but I don't like holding babies. I just don't want to. I'm worried I'll do it wrong, I find it awkward, I don't even hold my cats. My cousin had a sweet baby boy that I totally adore, he is four months old now, but at every family gathering people are like "here, hold the baby!" And I have to be like "No thank you!" And then assure my cousin that I love her kid, I'm just not a baby holder! Blah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I never held babies whenever co-workers brought them in. I got over it with my sister's baby, but it still felt pretty awkward. Then again, I don't really like babies all that much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 pm 

dakini wrote:
So, I really like kids, babies included, but I don't like holding babies. I just don't want to. I'm worried I'll do it wrong, I find it awkward, I don't even hold my cats. My cousin had a sweet baby boy that I totally adore, he is four months old now, but at every family gathering people are like "here, hold the baby!" And I have to be like "No thank you!" And then assure my cousin that I love her kid, I'm just not a baby holder! Blah.

YES! That's been me for years, but I usually get forced to. I always feel bad, because I don't know if people see it as an insult "NO! I don't wanna hold that thing!" When it's actually "No, I don't want to kill it!"

Also, I always think of my cats when I see kids/babies and when people talk about them. Depending on how comfortable I feel, I'll make a comment about it. I always feel better when someone else makes the comment that I'm thinking and then I can at least agree, and usually the parents are like "That's so true!" I think everyone must see the pet similarity (if they have pets).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:52 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I love holding babies. For some reason they like me. But holding them and playing with them is all I really like. I don't even get when people say they don't like babies but like when they get older. Before they can talk and walk and have opinions is the best part. I'm so awkward around kids, I just don't know what you're supposed to talk about. And they say blatantly incorrect things and I'm not sure what to do with that. Are you supposed to laugh at their unfunny jokes? Is it okay to feed them after midnight? I just don't get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:34 pm 

Fee wrote:
Is it okay to feed them after midnight?

I'm going to go with yes, because newborns need to feed all through the night, so I don't see why it wouldn't apply to older kids too. Bright light is OK, but not directly in their eyes. Sunlight is OK, but they should wear sunscreen and sunglasses. They can be out in the rain and they can also take baths/showers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:00 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Nope, water is too risky. I've heard of those things drowning in just an inch of water. Indoor kids only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I get that awkwardness around kids, especially when they're at that age where they don't enunciate that well. Usually I just ignore the stuff I cant understand. I don't know if that invalidates the kids or not but they don't seem to care.

I was playing with my fil's girlfriend's 3 yo granddaughter (whew!) and we had a blast with a can of play dough. It makes me want to carry some play dough around in my purse when I know I'll be near kids. It was really easy to interact in that way. Also I need to stop talking to kids in the way I talk to dogs. For some reason I bring out the squeaky high pitched excited voice and I bet it annoys the shiitake out of kids.

eta, regarding holding babies. It's not really my thing unless I'm really invested in the child, like my good friend's 3 mo old. It's kinda weird when people just assume you want to hold a baby. My friend showed me how to hold the baby in a cool way, which is under the arm pits and supporting her neck with my fingers. It was much more interactive and fun than cradling and the baby seemed to dig it, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Its funny, I didn't like holding other people's babies before I had L, and I still don't! And I don't really get the interest in having other people hold your baby - newborns are so vulnerable to infection and in NJ every high fever before 10 weeks gets treated as a suspected meningitis, with catheterization for urine samples and lumbar puncture. So I was totally happy that almost no one besides me and B held Leela! One of my friends wanted to hold her, but had a giant cold sore on her upper lip, so I didn't let her, because even a cold sore infection can cause problems in a newborn. I think people wanting to hold my baby was pretty much my number one fear at the beginning!

So your friends may be totally cool if you don't want to hold the baby, or you could just say that you feel a slight sniffle coming on and don't want to pass anything on to the baby. And for what its worth, I think most babies aren't all that thrilled being passed around either :)

Last edited by Tofulish on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:33 pm 
Semen Strong

... Meant to edit and hit quote. Derp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

couroupita wrote:
It's kinda weird when people just assume you want to hold a baby.

And when you're a woman almost everyone assumes you will want to hold the baby. Cause the ladies just love the babies.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tofulish wrote:
... Meant to edit and hit quote. Derp.

When this happens you can either hit "cancel" or just close the window so long as you realize before you hit "submit".

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 pm 
Chip Strong

It's funny when I was in my teens and twenties and had NO interest in babies, everyone assumed (because I was female) that I must want to hold their baby. People could be really pushy about it, and I was shamed into holding many babies when I really didn't care to. Now that I'm older and would very much like to hold babies there's really very little opportunity.

I feel awkward around kids too, after the age of 3 and before the age of 14, well, I really don't know how to deal with them and I secretly just wish they'd just go away. Then I feel guilty for having those thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Sadly it was too late.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 84  Next