| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 84  Next
 Post subject: Re: Women who have chosen not to have kids
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:

And there are "utilitarians" who take the opposite view - more life = more potential for happiness, even with all of the suffering that usually happens through life. This is an actual argument people make in favor of animal agriculture - it's better to have the chance at life with its attendant joys than to not have that chance. I think that argument is stupid and I think the opposite argument is equally stupid. You can't make any predictions about the worth of a life that doesn't exist (that fetus you aborted would've been Mozart! No, it would've been Pol Pot! It would've suffered! No, it would've had unending joy!) and you can't make any value judgments about a life you're not living yourself.

I know, thats why I said Im utilitarian AND think that, not "therefore I think that".

Again, maybe my life view is so weak that I'm projecting. But the biggest joy I ever had in life has never been as big as the greatest suffering. I guess there's no way to proof it, I just got a hunch if you anyone could do the math the suffering of people greatly outranks the joy.

Quote:
And what puts you in a position to judge others' choices when you (quite rightly) object to being judged for yours

I don't object to people judging my choices if they have good arguments. Moral subjects are about right and wrong and everything in between, there's no way in discussing this if we can't voice our opinions. of course I judge people when I think they do something that I might morally object, too. That doesn't mean I go up and scream it into their faces or want to make laws against their acts. But really, I can't question the morality of child birth in a thread about not having kids? Where else is the right setting besides my philosophy classes maybe?

Quote:
We are mammals that have intercourse and give live birth to our young.

Quote:
Telling people that acting on one of the most basic instincts we can have as animals is selfish because you think the world is a shitty place doesn't make sense.

I certainly don't doubt that having children is natural. I don't think morality and naturality are the same thing, though. In fact basing morality on "basic instincts" is a rather scary concept to me.

Quote:
What you do with a child already born is society's business (which is why there are children's protective agencies, laws against child abuse/neglect/labor, laws about schooling children and communal control over school curricula, social services available especially to children - ex. WIC, etc.) even though society entrusts individual parents to take on the bulk of the responsibility.

I don't understand this. We can judge parents once the kid is born but not before the kid is born...?

Quote:
you can't make any value judgments about a life you're not living yourself.

Neither can anyone else. So the possibility that there's more suffering caused than joy is definitely there. And I wonder what the implications would be. I don't claim this is true. But if is and it could be shown than there would be a clear moral superiority in one action. And even if we could I surely wouldn't go around wanting laws made against giving birth. (Besides I could imagine that for some people not being able to have children is such suffering that it could outweigh the suffering of a child, maybe?).

Quote:
I think that argument is stupid and I think the opposite argument is equally stupid.

Actually I think the same thing when it comes to animal rights. I would wish for all animals in slaughter houses to never be born. That doesn't mean I would want to kill them.

I'm sorry if I offended people in this thread. I some to blend my own views of parenthood and child birth a bit too much with philosophical musings. Will try to make the distinction clearer now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I don't think most vegans would disagree that it would be better for most farmed animals if they hadn't existed in the first place (and I would also tend to agree), although I still wonder about the worth of our judgment in that case. Since most animals, when given the choice, seem to want to keep existing (and seem to enjoy existing when put in a positive living situation) and most humans, when given the choice (as we all are, nothing keeps us from killing ourselves if we think our lives not worth living) seem to want to keep existing and place the value of existing over the value of not existing, I think it's already shown through actual lives lived that all kinds of animals, including humans, prefer to exist rather than not exist. I don't think we have to do the mental exercise about it - we vote with our lives actually lived.

And again, I don't think the conversation about suffering vs. joy is a conversation worth having regarding children - we can't grade others' lives and whether you see life as joy or suffering seems to have much more to do with your religious/spiritual/philosophical persuasion than any objective standards. I don't experience normal hunger, thirst, the desire to excrete waste, etc. as suffering, even though I experience eating, drinking, etc. as pleasurable and sometimes joyful. I definitely understand the argument against childbirth including a fear of a future child's suffering, but I don't think that's the same as saying "life is suffering." (And even established religions that say that life is suffering don't advocate for suicide or not having children! I think it's a pretty extreme philosophical viewpoint in the history of world thought to think the potential suffering of life should make people stop having children.)

VeganInBerlin wrote:

I don't understand this. We can judge parents once the kid is born but not before the kid is born...?

Well, they're not parents before the kid is born, are they? They're individual people, making choices about their individual lives. Nothing we do has no consequences for others.

And I agree with you that nature does not equal either destiny or morality; people's natural impulses don't have much to do with how we should make moral choices.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
Since most animals, when given the choice, seem to want to keep existing (and seem to enjoy existing when put in a positive living situation) and most humans, when given the choice (as we all are, nothing keeps us from killing ourselves if we think our lives not worth living) seem to want to keep existing and place the value of existing over the value of not existing

I have tried to take my life at moments when my survival instincts were lower than the misery. I don't think a natural survival instinct is an argument for unborn lives because you can negate the survival instinct for this, I would think? At least I don't say why it's morally relevant.
I do want to keep living but if I hadn't existed in the first place it wouldn't have mattered. Even if the thought is strange, I can't find a logical reason why it would matter.

Quote:
Nothing we do has no consequences for others.

I guess there are different shades. Bringing someone into the world is definitely one of the bigger ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Quote:
Nothing we do has no consequences for others.

I guess there are different shades. Bringing someone into the world is definitely one of the bigger ones.
And if you choose not to do so based on your beliefs about the state of the world, the prevalence of suffering, or anything else, that is absolutely your decision, your right, and your own business. It is not your right or your business to critique the deeply personal choices and decisions of people about whose experiences you are not in a position to judge.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

That's just a circular argument. Obviously not every life brought into the world is a tortured one. Some make it better for everyone else. Look at Isa.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
That's just a circular argument. Obviously not every life brought into the world is a tortured one. Some make it better for everyone else. Look at Isa.
Or our dogs and cats! (They may not have invented cashew ricotta, but they sure make the world more fun!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:40 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

For me it's really simple: I don't like children. I don't like looking at them, or being around them, or listening to parents talk about them. I just have no interest. I've felt this way practically since I was a child myself. I'm 25 now and don't see it changing.

There is a tiny part of me that thinks it would be cool to raise someone to be a badass little vegan, but that's mostly just a selfish thing. I don't really want to be a parent. I'm often selfish and sometimes really lazy, and having a dog is about all I can handle. Sometimes even that feels like too much care giving for me. I am not a nurturer, and I'm cool with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

rhelune wrote:
Benatar argues, and I agree, that every sentient life is full of suffering. Every day we're hungry, we're thirsty, we're hot or cold, we need to go, and the relief is only temporary. We often get sick if only with a cold. We fear losing our health, our loved ones. We suffer when others suffer because we're capable of empathy. In the end, there are degenerative diseases, cancer, incontinence, frailty, death.

But, somebody who never is, can't be denied anything. If we don't bring another sentient being to life, we're not denying anybody anything.

- How would you feel if your mother didn't decide to have you?
- Oh, yeah, those who don't exist, they're really pissed.

This is such a sad and sick way to view the world.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Jigglypuff wrote:
rhelune wrote:
Benatar argues, and I agree, that every sentient life is full of suffering. Every day we're hungry, we're thirsty, we're hot or cold, we need to go, and the relief is only temporary. We often get sick if only with a cold. We fear losing our health, our loved ones. We suffer when others suffer because we're capable of empathy. In the end, there are degenerative diseases, cancer, incontinence, frailty, death.

But, somebody who never is, can't be denied anything. If we don't bring another sentient being to life, we're not denying anybody anything.

- How would you feel if your mother didn't decide to have you?
- Oh, yeah, those who don't exist, they're really pissed.

This is such a sad and sick way to view the world.
Yeah, I was never really a fan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:20 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't have kids and don't plan on having them. This isn't for a philosophical reason, I'm just not into them. Plus, with my job, I'm gone so much I'd be an absentee mom. I don't care if other people have kids, much like I don't care if you like football or fast cars, I just am not interested.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I also have a major aversion to the sticky factor that comes along with children. Kids are sticky and therefore gross.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
Yeah, I was never really a fan.

This is the best thing that has been posted in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Moon wrote:
I also have a major aversion to the sticky factor that comes along with children. Kids are sticky and therefore gross.

Haha this is so true. One of my nephews (age 7) LOVES to give and receive hugs and high-fives, but of course he's the one that's always all clammy and sweaty and gross or has like eight days of Tings dust on his hands. Yes, my sister feeds her kids Tings, even though their family isn't vegan. Nothing like a little sweaty/noochy hand in your face.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh and the pictures on STFU Parents where the kids have shiitake all up their back...I just remembered why that site was birth control! I don't like dealing with other people's poop.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm 

Limone wrote:
Moon wrote:

Haha this is so true. One of my nephews (age 7) LOVES to give and receive hugs and high-fives, but of course he's the one that's always all clammy and sweaty and gross or has like eight days of Tings dust on his hands. Yes, my sister feeds her kids Tings, even though their family isn't vegan. Nothing like a little sweaty/noochy hand in your face.

I don't like when my own hands are clammy, never mind being touched but little clam balls covered with snot and so on.

Here's a story from a friend, who works retail.

"So, this kid comes in to work. And he's carrying a rock. It just fits in his hand, its not big or anything, but he's really in to this rock. After they all leave, I notice he left his rock on the counter. And EVEN THE ROCK IS STICKY."

That means the sticky is contagious. Not even rocks are immune.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

This thread has been an entertaining rollercoaster of a read! Here is my personal view, which may or may not change at some point in the future. Most of my life, I have wanted children. Like, really badly. I always just felt like there was something missing and that it was a kid. During my last relationship, my partner and I decided to try to have one. It was a really stupid decision, looking back on it. Our relationship wasn't great, and neither of us had any savings, and we were working dead-end, low-paying McJobs. Not that you have to have tons of money or a good job to have kids and raise them successfully, but I figure it helps. Anyway, I got pregnant and ended up having a miscarriage. It was devastating. For a while. It's still sad to think about, sometimes, but now I don't regret not having that child (not least of all because I can't fathom having to be in constant contact with my lunatic of an ex for the rest of forever, or however long a kid is around). One of the things that helped me move forward was putting my focus on my career. I never really cared much before about what I did for a living, and always kind of used the (completely crazy, seeing as I didn't have any sort of stable relationship) philosophy that I would someday just be a stay-at-home mom anyway, when I had kids, so what was the point? So anyway, now that I'm single and working jobs that I really, really enjoy, I have another focus. I haven't thought about wanting kids again at all. And I don't think that I'm just distracted because I'm busy. I really think that that 'hole' I felt in my life before was not doing meaningful (to me) work.

Isn't that wild? Also, I have a couple of friends who are new parents and they are never alone and never sleep and don't have money and can't stay out late, ever, and their houses are so loud all the time. I'm really kind of shocked at my change in position over the last year, and sometimes I still think it would be cool to raise a little vegan of my own, except I don't want any of the things that go along with raising a child. I'm really thinking that kid-free is the way to be (for me!). Who knows how I'll feel in 5 years. My mom used to tell me that if I didn't have a kid with someone by the time I was 30 (which I currently am), that I should just go do it myself. I can't imagine doing that alone, by choice, now. Also, I'm pretty sure that my cats would hate being around a baby.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

I knew when I was a kid I didn't want kids. Every once and a while in my 20's I'd hear the old clock ticking, but then I also get puppy urges when I see a cute one. Then my best friend had kids. After that I was sure I could never do all of that, no matter all of the "oh, it's different when it's your own." I seriously doubt that. I'm selfish and know it, I'm horrible with money, I like my things and don't want to share. I was also reminded by my siblings and parents at times that I was a "mistake", an unplanned pregnancy. Thanks Dad, for bringing that up every Thanksgiving as a kid. Some people shouldn't have children, and even though I though when younger that I'd adopt if I really wanted one, I know that it wouldn't be for me now. I just wish more people that I see that really shouldn't have kids would have though it out a little before having one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:15 pm 

Yeah, retail will make you hate kids. Once time, when I worked in the kids department at Sears, I went to clean out the fitting room and put my hand directly into a bathing suit bottom filled with some kid's shiitake. The had kid tried on the bathing suit, shiitake in it, took it off, and left it there in a pile of other clothes.

To sum up, I am not doing the following things ever in my life: working retail again (!) or having kids.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but two things.

1) Check your ageism. Saying you hate a whole group of people = not cool.
2) Calm down and don't be offended by people not wanting kids. Who cares? Don't be offended that not everyone wants to be a parent. Go have fun in one of the parenting threads. The topic of this thread is not being a parent. If this thread is offending you, please just leave it.

I know there has to be a respectful way to discuss this topic, even on the internet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but two things.

1) Check your ageism. Saying you hate a whole group of people = not cool.
2) Calm down and don't be offended by people not wanting kids. Who cares? Don't be offended that not everyone wants to be a parent. Go have fun in one of the parenting threads. The topic of this thread is not being a parent. If this thread is offending you, please just leave it.

I know there has to be a respectful way to discuss this topic, even on the internet.

1) did anyone say they hated a whole group of people? I may have missed it. I'm pretty drugged up. Unless you're taking about those dirty hippie vegans who deserve to be hated. Damn dirty vegan hippies and their carob.

2) I haven't seen any procreators post about being offended by anything, I actually feel like this has been a pretty good and diverse thread, so far.

Or maybe you're just reminding everyone to play nice. Thanks Momma Isa!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:10 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Yes. Saying you hate kids is saying you hate a whole group of people. I'm glad that you think it's a good thread, though! We are getting reports every which way about it, so not everyone agrees.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:14 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Moon wrote:
1) did anyone say they hated a whole group of people? I may have missed it.

ashley wrote:
For me it's really simple: I don't like children. I don't like looking at them, or being around them, or listening to parents talk about them. I just have no interest.

Yup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I find it interesting that the title of the thread has not provoked any discussion. It's not about people who have chosen not to parent but specifically about women who have chosen not to be mothers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 pm 

strawberryrock wrote:
Moon wrote:
1) did anyone say they hated a whole group of people? I may have missed it.

ashley wrote:
For me it's really simple: I don't like children. I don't like looking at them, or being around them, or listening to parents talk about them. I just have no interest.

Yup.

Okay, sorry to offend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vantine wrote:
I find it interesting that the title of the thread has not provoked any discussion. It's not about people who have chosen not to parent but specifically about women who have chosen not to be mothers.

I went to ask boyfriend what he thought, and he said he had no real reason, he just doesn't have the urge and only thinks of it in negatives.

I think its very impressed on women that they need to be mothers one day (and from a young age, we're the ones typically playing with baby dolls while the boys get dinosaurs) and while I do think men get pressure, like my boyfriend's mom really wants kids, women are expected to have a natural maternal instinct that will kick in. Plus, if you don't have babies now, later your biological clock will start ticking and it'll be too late and you'll be more likely to die in a terrorist attack than find a man who will bless you with his sperm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 84  Next