| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help for an english essay about PPK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

For my composition class, I was assigned to write a brief essay about a specific discourse community, and I chose to focus on the online vegan community (the PPK specifically). I would really appreciate it if some of you would be able to answer a few questions and allow me to use your responses as sources for my research. If I do choose to use one of your responses as a reference, I will PM you because I will just need your full name for the essay citation. Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

Here are some questions that I am looking to address in my essay. Feel free to answer any/all of them:

1. What about the PPK specifically do you think has helped make it such a popular forum and online community for vegans?

2. What role do you think the PPK community has had either in our own personal social life or for vegans in general?

3. Do you believe that the PPK has shaped the vegan community's collective identity?

4. How has the vegan community benefited from the expansion of online forums and social media?

5. What are some shared values of members of the PPK?

Post subject: Re: Help for an english essay about PPK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Do you post under another name? Or lurk? Are you vegan?

For me, personally, at least, this is a pretty big ask from someone who does not appear to be part of this community.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:44 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am slightly disappointed that this wasn't a spambot post.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

j-dub wrote:
Do you post under another name? Or lurk? Are you vegan?

For me, personally, at least, this is a pretty big ask from someone who does not appear to be part of this community.

Lurker, look at their join date which was in 2010.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

alakin2 wrote:
1. What about the PPK specifically do you think has helped make it such a popular forum and online community for vegans?

2. What role do you think the PPK community has had either in our own personal social life or for vegans in general?

3. Do you believe that the PPK has shaped the vegan community's collective identity?

4. How has the vegan community benefited from the expansion of online forums and social media?

1. the Veganomicon - like its namesake the message it conveys is that power is not given, it is inherent and acknowledged from within. It was a beacon that drew me to others and gave us all something delicious in common - a vehicle to discover what else we might (and might not) share.

2. It is a lot like high school/college/life- if you can avoid the bullies, what you learn will propel you forward... and in the process you sometimes find a group that you fit in with to pass the time.

3. The Vegan Community does not have a collective identity. It is as diverse as any other group that only has one thing in common... just ask Ingrid Newkirk.

4. I believe anything that increases awareness of the horror that results from the brain-washed consumption of tortured animals brings the Vegan Community closer to its one and only common goal. Sharing our outrage, joy and recipes reassures us that we are not alone.

5. Being Vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am not at all a spammer. While I do not post regularly, I have been a member of the PPK for years and read the forums regularly. The reason that I have chosen to focus my essay on the PPK is exactly because I am familiar with it and it has played an significant role in my own veganism. I am simply hoping to get some other perspectives.

If you still do not wish to help me by responding to these questions, I completely understand, but please do not think that I am some spammer on here trying to waste everyone's time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:57 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Why certainly.

There's an air of openness and like it's okay to ask questions and not be perfect. Isa and Terry are just punkrock girls who had their own cable access show, and I think that being the foundation of this community makes it special.

The PPK has been a huge part of my growth as a human over the last 5 years, and I've made a lot of personal discoveries through conversations I've had here. And I've met a lot of people from it in real life, so that's cool, too.

oh, for sure. Even people who I know who are not members of the forum have heard of it. I once had a server at a restaurant comment when I was wearing a PPK shirt: "That's so cool! I love the PPK!"

It's made it literally so easy to connect with people who share some of the same values as you. Being vegan before the advent of the internet/social media would have been a far more isolating time.

I think the PPK represents a group of people who are generally very left-leaning, secular, knowledge-seeking folks. And of course, the unifying idea that veganism is a worthwhile undertaking for a variety of reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:55 pm 
WRETCHED

I think the PPK is fairly open and welcoming. I think it is also generally welcoming toward new vegans and non-vegans that want to learn about and incorporate aspects of a vegan lifestyle. I also think the phrase 'progress not perfection' embodies a lot of the PPK because people recognize that 'vegan purity' is truly a myth but we can do our best to be as vegan as possible. It is also about sharing good recipes and various aspects of our lives.

I don't know about vegans in general but I've met a lot of good friends here. I think being vegan can feel isolating sometimes and having an online community helps you feel connected.

I don't think there is a collective identity. Vegans are diverse but I think it is a useful resource out there for anyone to use.

I think what I stated above about veganism sometimes feeling isolating as well as not knowing how to handle certain situations, especially as a new vegan, online communities can help provide support and information. Also just being a resource is useful. I lurked on the PPK for a good year while I wasn't even thinking of becoming vegan, I just wanted to cook more plant-based foods. Without the PPK though, I'm not sure how successful I would've been at going vegan or even staying vegan. Plus good recipes, people like good recipes if they want to learn how to cook vegan foods.

I think members of the ppk are generally open to discourse, being vegan and a willingness to help others be vegan. We also just generally love good food. I appreciate that the ppk rejects a lot of 'crazy' that you can see out there promoted by various vegans and an understanding that people here are diverse and may not share the same experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

For me, it's how open the community is. People here are very welcoming. Also, we are not the vegan police. There's much more acceptance here that, though we are almsot all vegans, people are doing their best.

I've met several really great people here. I don't know almost any other vegans in real life, so this place feels like a community my daily life lacks. I feel reassured here, reaching out and seeing other people see things like I do.

Perhaps. The ppk is really the only vegan community I know.

Oh my gosh! So much more information is available now. Recipes, nutrition info, clothing info, political connections. And places like the ppk are critical to helping new vegans adapt to the new lifestyle, I think. I think it makes the whole vegan thing more accessible, especially to people living in very rural spots, like me.

Generally speaking, we are left leaning, secular, non-PETA, welcoming, and skeptical of "woo".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

It's fun and mostly welcoming, and people here are mostly pretty knowledgeable about food, which is useful.

For me, personally, it hasn't made a difference to my social life. I've met a couple of PPKers in real life, but that was through something totally unrelated and it was really just coincidental. I gather that for some people it has been a big thing, though.

I don't really consider myself part of the/a vegan community, so I couldn't say.

Convenience! You can make connections with people all round the world as if it were nothing.

There's a strong Left-leaning culture on this board, fart jokes abound, forum subnicks mystify all but a few and everyone's very quick to remind posters that the internet is not your doctor (all of these are good).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:28 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

alakin2 wrote:
For my composition class, I was assigned to write a brief essay about a specific discourse community, and I chose to focus on the online vegan community (the PPK specifically). I would really appreciate it if some of you would be able to answer a few questions and allow me to use your responses as sources for my research. If I do choose to use one of your responses as a reference, I will PM you because I will just need your full name for the essay citation. Thanks so much for your help, everyone!

Here are some questions that I am looking to address in my essay. Feel free to answer any/all of them:

Here, we have a sense that we'd probably like to have coffee with one another. I have seen wonderful, supportive behaviour with new folks, even if it takes a while to feel like you are not an outsider. Having the cookbooks as focus probably helps in that. [\color]

[color=#800040] personally, I needed a vegan board that wasn't dominated by AR bullies, but rather by the main focus day to day, food (and hidden ingredients). That helped me be kinder in personal interactions with omnivores.[\color]

[color=#800040 I know a typical PPKer is different from the ranting vegan in the local vegetarian restaurant. Like the vegan food blogger movement, PPK allows foodies to flourish.[\color]

[color=#804000]I think online interaction has created community in areas where there are not physical numbers of vegans. It has allowed sharing of information quickly, such as ingredient changes by prepared food makers, or meet ups in person, or sharing of new ways of thinking about vegan diet and lifestyle (such as raw vegan).

humor, passion about food, being silly online, posting typos in Isa's books..... Really, care for creatures, living our most authentic life, good food with good people, walking our talk, supporting people wanting to be vegan.