| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone waiting on grad school apps?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Is it killing you?

I have just made a pact with myself that I will not check the admissions website until March unless I receive an email telling me to. I don't know if I can make it!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post subject: Re: Anyone waiting on grad school apps?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:51 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yes.
waiting for 3 more sweet sweet rejection letters to roll in.
KILLIN ME, YO.

where are you waiting for responses from? how many places? top schools? LETS ALL OBSESS!!

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 am 

York (in Toronto) and SFU (in Vancouver). I really don't want to go to SFU and really DO want to go to York. They are both excellent programs and very well regarded in the field.

And Canada has a different academic culture so it's kind of hard to define "top schools". Like, we have schools that have a lot of prestige, but that doesn't mean much for the education you get. Well...not so different from the States, heh. But in terms of what would be considered "top schools" in Canada I can only think of a handful and only one of those even has the program I'm applying for, but doesn't have the focus (public health as a tool for social justice) that I'm looking for.

Today is the first day in a week or so that I haven't checked the admissions site and it is KILLING ME. AHHHHH!

What about you? How many schools in total? Any admits yet? Fingers are crossed for you!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oh! I totally meant "top schools" in the "top choice out of what you applied to" not like, top schools in the field! that must have sounded obnoxious, sorry!

I applied to 4 schools for their MFA in printmaking programs, I've gotten one rejection so far (woo) it's sort of a crapshoot because I only applied to programs I was really interested in and they all seem to have like 7-10% acceptance rates, but this is also my first time applying and am not expecting much.

still, the waiting is killer!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:22 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Oy vey! I was right there two years ago and I can't believe I survived it: by which I mean it's a miracle my partner didn't kill me in my sleep because I was such a pain to live with. Take deep breaths, stay busy with stuff you enjoy, and try not to obsess (I know this is so much easier said than done) and I swear it will be FINE. No, really, it will! And next year you will be banging your head against the walls about papers or exams or grading or whatever else is on your plate and asking yourself what on Earth you were thinking of wanting to go to grad school! XOXOXOXOXO

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:32 am 

booberthefraggle wrote:
oh! I totally meant "top schools" in the "top choice out of what you applied to" not like, top schools in the field! that must have sounded obnoxious, sorry!

No, no, it's me too! I've been hanging out a bit on a potential-grad student forum (such a bad idea!) and everyone there is all about "top schools".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

omg don't worry, I have too (though specifically MFA related), watching people get letters about interviews (round two of application process, you only interview if you've gotten through the first round, I don't know if you guys have this system as well?) gives me sooo much anxiety.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

3 masters of Social Work programs....second round applying for MSW programs as I suck at life. Still, it would be so lovely if I got in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Like Desdemona said, just try to chill at this point. It will be ok! The waiting is excruciating but no matter where you get in, you will get a good education if you apply your wonderful, intelligent, and talented selves :) And if you don't get in this year, it is really not the end of the world and it in no way means that you suck at life (Rowan!)! In 20 years, it won't really matter if you took a year off between undgrad and grad school in terms of your career advancement and life goals, and even if it takes several years to be accepted, the life and work experience that you will gain in between will only help you to refine and focus your goals.

I'm not waiting on any grad school apps right now but I am waiting to find out about some post-doc fellowships I applied for :S I am terrified to be reaching the end of grad school.

Also, when I saw the title of this thread I was like "Apps? Like for phones? Like reference organizers? That would rule!" Then I was like, "Oh, duh, It's probably apps, like appetizers." And then after I clicked it I was like "OH! This makes way more sense." I'm still not sure what grad school appetizers would have been.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 am 
Chard Martyr

Good luck! When I was waiting to hear about UBC I didn't even have the internet. I would go to a coffee shop every day and hyperventilate at my inbox.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Desdemona wrote:
Oy vey! I was right there two years ago and I can't believe I survived it: by which I mean it's a miracle my partner didn't kill me in my sleep because I was such a pain to live with. Take deep breaths, stay busy with stuff you enjoy, and try not to obsess (I know this is so much easier said than done) and I swear it will be FINE. No, really, it will! And next year you will be banging your head against the walls about papers or exams or grading or whatever else is on your plate and asking yourself what on Earth you were thinking of wanting to go to grad school! XOXOXOXOXO

This. Best of luck to you all. Everyone is awesome, so you will all be fine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:05 am 
Flounceiad 2011

j-dub wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

No, no, it's me too! I've been hanging out a bit on a potential-grad student forum (such a bad idea!) and everyone there is all about "top schools".
If you're taking about grad cafe all I can say is GET OFF THERE AND STAY OFF. I am not even joking; I know people who have made themselves insane, and no good ever comes of it. My partner is an academic (who happened to be PhD director at his own university the year I was applying to schools; fun domestic times!), and one of the best pieces of advice I got was to never, ever log on to the grad cafe, and although I was occasionally tempted, I resisted the urge. Which I remain convinced helped save what little sanity I retained during the waiting process; I can't imagine how much crazier I would have been if I'd been checking that shiitake 75 times a day. GAAAH.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Oh gosh, I'm there too... I decided to apply for a preparatory year in contemporary dance technique and soon the auditions will start. Eek!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Desdemona wrote:
j-dub wrote:
booberthefraggle wrote:

If you're taking about grad cafe all I can say is GET OFF THERE AND STAY OFF. I am not even joking; I know people who have made themselves insane, and no good ever comes of it. My partner is an academic (who happened to be PhD director at his own university the year I was applying to schools; fun domestic times!), and one of the best pieces of advice I got was to never, ever log on to the grad cafe, and although I was occasionally tempted, I resisted the urge. Which I remain convinced helped save what little sanity I retained during the waiting process; I can't imagine how much crazier I would have been if I'd been checking that shiitake 75 times a day. GAAAH.

There's a forum like this for people trying to get into vet school. I look at it sometimes and it drives me insane so I'm trying to stay the fork away.

Can I play in this thread? Vet school isn't technically grad school but maybe it's close enough?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Hang in there everyone! I hope you start getting responses soon! Waiting was terrible when I was applying to 4 really competitive schools, and it was terrible when I was applying to one not very competitive school too.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm 

DrakeRedcrest wrote:

Can I play in this thread? Vet school isn't technically grad school but maybe it's close enough?

NO!

Just kidding. Of course! More stressed out worriers the better! I mean...more people definitely going to get into their number one (or top choice!) school the better!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

the weekends are KILLER because there is no mail at all anymore :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

woo! just got my first acceptance via phone!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

still waiting on 2 others

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

booberthefraggle wrote:
woo! just got my first acceptance via phone!
YES - congratulations! I found that the first acceptance went a long way in helping diffuse my psychosis...er, "anxiety" because I knew I was going somewhere! I'm willing to bet you'll have some choices to make when all the results are in, but for now, you should do something to celebrate!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yessss I am so much less of a neurotic mess now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Way to go boober!! That's so great! I think it's awesome that they called you to tell you, I imagine it feels nicer than just getting a letter (although that would still feel pretty damn great).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm 

Congratulations!!