| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Alaina wrote:
It's kind of weird to me that so many people judge service by the waiter/waitresses attitude. I could care less if they smile and are nice. As long as they don't take too long to do anything, get my order right and the food comes out in a reasonable time period I'm happy. Oh and constantly refill my water too. That's all that matters to me!

Most of those don't have anything to do with the server, though. I feel bad for servers who get the brunt of anger over how long their food is taking or an order is wrong when that's the kitchen most of the time, not them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Alaina wrote:
It's kind of weird to me that so many people judge service by the waiter/waitresses attitude. I could care less if they smile and are nice. As long as they don't take too long to do anything, get my order right and the food comes out in a reasonable time period I'm happy. Oh and constantly refill my water too. That's all that matters to me!

Yep, this is more important to me too. I'd generally prefer a server whose demeanor is more neutral. An overly cheerful attitude can sometimes be annoying, depending on your mood and who you are dining with, but I generally wouldn't fault someone for too many smiles unless it was really over the top and forced.

Unfortunately, poor service pretty much seems to be the norm most places I've been recently. I don't think veg restaurants are an exception. There is a local Indian place that I really like (veg-friendly, but not a vegetarian restaurant), but we only get take out from there anymore because we are always waiting a long time for everything - for someone to take our order, for the food to arrive, for water refills. They gave me tea in a cracked cup once, and it probably took 30 minutes for us to flag someone down for a replacement. All the tea had leaked out onto the saucer. Plus the replacement they brought was chai with dairy milk. The worst part is waiting for the check, because by then I am completely sick of all the waiting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Fee wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Most of those don't have anything to do with the server, though. I feel bad for servers who get the brunt of anger over how long their food is taking or an order is wrong when that's the kitchen most of the time, not them.

Uh, when your talking about service at a restaurant how long stuff takes is a key component. And shouldn't the server check to see that the dish the kitchen gave them is actually what they wrote down on the ticket, before they bring it out to you.
I don't think that the servers attitude is really a good measure of how to judge the overall service of a restaurant. Even if I had server that was an asparagus, if they took my order, were on top of the refills, and the food came out in a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't think that I had bad service. I'd think good restaurant that persons an asparagus.
Meanwhile if they take too long to take an order, for the food to come out, I don't care how nice the server is or if it's their fault or not, the service was bad.

Last edited by Alaina on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 pm 

Beanitarian wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Yep, this is more important to me too. I'd generally prefer a server whose demeanor is more neutral. An overly cheerful attitude can sometimes be annoying, depending on your mood and who you are dining with, but I generally wouldn't fault someone for too many smiles unless it was really over the top and forced.

Unfortunately, poor service pretty much seems to be the norm most places I've been recently. I don't think veg restaurants are an exception. There is a local Indian place that I really like (veg-friendly, but not a vegetarian restaurant), but we only get take out from there anymore because we are always waiting a long time for everything - for someone to take our order, for the food to arrive, for water refills. They gave me tea in a cracked cup once, and it probably took 30 minutes for us to flag someone down for a replacement. All the tea had leaked out onto the saucer. Plus the replacement they brought was chai with dairy milk. The worst part is waiting for the check, because by then I am completely sick of all the waiting!

Too many smiles may me want to throw up. Totally agree on the neutral demeanor thing. I'd rather just see people doing their jobs properly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

When you get poor service (and I am not talking no smiles, but really poor service) do you just not tip? Or do you take it up with management?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 pm 
ugh

I don't think I've ever not tipped, but I'll tip lower if the poor service was the fault of the server (rather than the kitchen, being understaffed, etc.) But that's only because the tip is actually part of the server's wages. I really wish that servers could just get normal wages like other jobs and tips were just for above-and-beyond service.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

b.vicious wrote:
I really wish that servers could just get normal wages like other jobs and tips were just for above-and-beyond service.

yes!

i usually always tip 20% no matter what, just because i don't think that servers making a decent wage should be so performance-based.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for your response Q, I was racking my brain!

Quarantined wrote:
b.vicious wrote:
I really wish that servers could just get normal wages like other jobs and tips were just for above-and-beyond service.

yes!

i usually always tip 20% no matter what, just because i don't think that servers making a decent wage should be so performance-based.

Hellz yes. I agree with Fee that normally the customer has no idea why things didn't go they exact way they would have liked. And while I have gotten some horrible service in Europe where servers get normal wages, I don't think it is worse than here.

I worked as a wait person one summer during college and it was such a frustrating job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Alaina wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Too many smiles may me want to throw up. Totally agree on the neutral demeanor thing. I'd rather just see people doing their jobs properly.

Well, as a (female) former server I can tell you that a lot of customers feel entitled to your smile. So you're best off leading with it because if you don't you may get a shitty tip, you may be told to smile (holy fork does that peas me off)* or they may go to your manager.

*One night the place was done for the night and some guy came in and ordered take-out (honestly, had the owner not been there we would have all told him we were closed...because we were!). I was cleaning up the bar area, facing half away from him and he yelled at me "SMILE!". I swear to god I almost decked him.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I try not to notice the servants--it's just so middle class.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:19 pm 

j-dub wrote:
Alaina wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:

Well, as a (female) former server I can tell you that a lot of customers feel entitled to your smile. So you're best off leading with it because if you don't you may get a shitty tip, you may be told to smile (holy fork does that peas me off)* or they may go to your manager.

*One night the place was done for the night and some guy came in and ordered take-out (honestly, had the owner not been there we would have all told him we were closed...because we were!). I was cleaning up the bar area, facing half away from him and he yelled at me "SMILE!". I swear to god I almost decked him.

I tip the smiley people less and the unsmiley people more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Alaina wrote:
j-dub wrote:

Well, catering my service to your preferences would have left me unable to pay my bills.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

I always tip. Even if they smashed a plate of food over my head, I'd still tip.

An employee in Noah's once rolled her eyes at me when I asked for a tex-mex samosa, but that's my rudest veg experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm not reading any of these, but I figure a lot of places don't need to hire good employees because people will eat there anyways, it also seems like a lot of veg places that aren't Indian hire people that have probably never worked food service before.

Exhibit A: Cafe Green in DC.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Beanitarian wrote:
Alaina wrote:

I agree, service isn't really exceptional either way, except this one time the boyfriend took me to this seafood place that will make something vegan for you if you ask. It turned out to be a rich person place, and the waiter was super overly friendly, we got samples of food while we waited, it just made us feel a little ridiculous XD Most things on the menu were like fifty dollars, so he got sashimi, which was 18 dollars, and I got coconut curry for the same price. He got just a few thin slivers of fish for that, and I got a TUB full of curry. It was hilarious, I was expecting the reverse to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I even tipped the bisque who always blatantly flirted with the guy I was with. She did her job (mostly) but just happened to be a miserable bisque who made me feel like invisible pond scum.

I just can't not tip. Also, when I make the decision to go to a restaurant, the tip money is already considered spent, so why be petty? If I'm unhappy with the service, I just won't round up. I'll leave $3.50 and not $5.

I do feel that servers should do stuff like update customers if the meal is slow or whatever. I'm not going to be annoyed if I'm told what to expect. Or at least, not very.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My mom was a waitress for a lot of my childhood, my sister's waited off and on throughout her life, and I used to bus when I was a teen so... I know how important tips are and I very, very, very rarely tip less than 20%. You kinda have to do something remarkably shitty to get me to drop down to 15%.

But even though I tip well, I do always remember bad service and will sometimes avoid places where the service was really bad.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Alaina wrote:
Fee wrote:
Alaina wrote:

Uh, when your talking about service at a restaurant how long stuff takes is a key component. And shouldn't the server check to see that the dish the kitchen gave them is actually what they wrote down on the ticket, before they bring it out to you.
I don't think that the servers attitude is really a good measure of how to judge the overall service of a restaurant. Even if I had server that was an asparagus, if they took my order, were on top of the refills, and the food came out in a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't think that I had bad service. I'd think good restaurant that persons an asparagus.
Meanwhile if they take too long to take an order, for the food to come out, I don't care how nice the server is or if it's their fault or not, the service was bad.

Contrary to popular belief, the server is not making your food! The kitchen staff is! Mind-blowing, I know. If the kitchen is taking forever, it most likely is not your server's fault. Also, if something is not obviously wrong with the food, your server is going to take it out. They're not going to open up your sandwich to make sure there's no tomato on there if it's not obvious to begin with. I wish people could just be a little more forgiving. Mistakes happen!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
I'm not reading any of these, but I figure a lot of places don't need to hire good employees because people will eat there anyways, it also seems like a lot of veg places that aren't Indian hire people that have probably never worked food service before.

Exhibit A: Cafe Green in DC.

Oops, that came off as rude! I meant I haven't read all of these

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

allularpunk wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, the server is not making your food! The kitchen staff is! Mind-blowing, I know. If the kitchen is taking forever, it most likely is not your server's fault. Also, if something is not obviously wrong with the food, your server is going to take it out. They're not going to open up your sandwich to make sure there's no tomato on there if it's not obvious to begin with. I wish people could just be a little more forgiving. Mistakes happen!

meh, i've been a hostess, server. kitchen staff and a manager over the years. people pay a fair amount to go get a meal out. the server is the go-between for the kitchen and the customer. if the food's not right, the server shouldn't serve it. if the wait is too long, they need to let the customer know, and tell the manager so that food can be comped or something. if a kitchen is run badly, it really does suck for the server, but there are things the server can do to mitigate the damage. it is mostly definitely the server's responsibility to CHECK that the food that is being served is the food that was ordered. obviously mistakes happen, but that doesn't mean it wasn't their responsibility.

honestly though, if anything goes wrong during your meal, it's actually the manager's fault. it's their fault if the kitchen isn't running smoothly, it's their fault if the servers are forking around behind the bar instead of checking on their tables... it's their responsibility to make sure customers are getting good food and good service. if you have a problem with something, tell the manager!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

Alaina wrote:

I don't know what to say about this other than I hope to never have to wait on you. God forbid I don't make my facial expressions to your specific liking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

When I go into a restaurant I know how much I'm tipping = 20% + amount of change to round it up to make it a whole dollar number. And there's no realistic scenario that is going to change it. Unless I know my server personally, which would probably make me tip more. And I might get a little overgenerous on a payday or if someone else paid the check - neither of which the server had any control over.

Don't most people do this? And then just overanalyze tipping culture later and like to think they tip the nice people the most and then the lazy, mean, rude people the least when in reality they tipped the same? Or do people really sift through their money trying to match the dollar amount to the attitude of the server?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:09 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, my tip is predetermined before I get in. Pie in the face, food fight, pitcher of beer over my head, waitstaff revolt, come what may, when the meal is over, I will mop off my face, primly shake off my bills, put them on the table, politely thank everyone for the fine meal and leave.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Here wait staff are paid the same minimum wage as anyone, but I still tip regardless of how much I liked the service, unless it was absolutely horrible and I vaguely remember that may have happened only once or twice in my whole adult life. I used to work as a bartender and my mom was a waitress for a few years, its not easy work! I know some people in retail who are bitter that waiters get tipped and we don't, but I feel my job isn't anywhere near as stressful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Tipping is more of a pain in the arse here as generally you're supposed to tip 12.5% and I am shiitake at math.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next