| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wow! I just got to Springs response to the person who tipped $10 on $100 and the server asked about it. I just, I can't even believe this person. She would take the $10 back! Who does that?

ETA: Angelina is a gem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I know people who don't tip. They are always shocked that I will not go out with them. Or that I will tip for them. Having survived off of tips more than once... I take that stuff seriously.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

la vie sale wrote:
How about tipping at coffee houses, hair salons, esthetician, dog groomers etc, how much do you all generally tip? I am always confused. If I buy a $4 latte, I used to put an extra dollar in the tip jar. But that is way more than 20%. What if the dog groomer is the business owner, do you tip then? Or only if they go above and beyond if it's their own business? I just don't know and when I see the tip line printed out on my receipt it makes me feel anxious when I don't know what is customary. I know it sounds dumb. Probably just do 20% everywhere so I don't have to second guess it. Interest to hear what you all think (hope I am not derailing this thread too much).

I generally do 20% at restaurants, hair dresser, etc.; I don't always tip at coffee places, but if I have a dollar or two or there's a line for a tip, I'll add a little something. I'm always curious about what to give the person who washes my hair at the salon if there's a different person than the hair dresser. I usually give like $3-$5, depending on how much cash I have.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
la vie sale wrote:
How about tipping at coffee houses, hair salons, esthetician, dog groomers etc, how much do you all generally tip? I am always confused. If I buy a $4 latte, I used to put an extra dollar in the tip jar. But that is way more than 20%. What if the dog groomer is the business owner, do you tip then? Or only if they go above and beyond if it's their own business? I just don't know and when I see the tip line printed out on my receipt it makes me feel anxious when I don't know what is customary. I know it sounds dumb. Probably just do 20% everywhere so I don't have to second guess it. Interest to hear what you all think (hope I am not derailing this thread too much).

I generally do 20% at restaurants, hair dresser, etc.; I don't always tip at coffee places, but if I have a dollar or two or there's a line for a tip, I'll add a little something. I'm always curious about what to give the person who washes my hair at the salon if there's a different person than the hair dresser. I usually give like $3-$5, depending on how much cash I have.

I hate it when someone separate washes my hair because it's just awkward. If I don't know ahead of time then I won't have cash in my pocket to give to them, and for some reason handing them the cash while my hair is all wet and up in a towel is awkward. If I wait until after, when I 'm paying for the haircut they are usually busy with someone else and that's even more awkward. if I know their name I guess I could just leave it at the desk, but whatever I do seems to feel wrong and strange. recently I didn't tip the hair washer at all for these reasons.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:09 am 
WRETCHED

la vie sale wrote:

Coffee houses - I rarely go but it depends from no tip to extra change to dollar
Hair salons, esthetician - When I had laser hair treatments, I didn't tip and it was more like a doctor's office than a salon but generally 20% I think.

I think I really don't know a lot of situations where people might tip normally. I know restaurants and what not because of the crappy wage system where part of their wages are expected to be tips.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i hate the awkwardness of tipping. like in some places i dont know when/if im supposed to tip.
when we travel i always make my husband tip taxi/shuttle drivers cause i get weirded out.

it's not that i dont want to tip it's that im unsure what the proper protocol is.

for the longest time ever i had NO IDEA you were supposed to tip hairdressers.
now i usually do 20%

ive never had either of my dogs groomed because they are just mutts with short coats but i am honestly not sure i would have thought of it if i did! see! awkward!!
i would have felt TERRIBLE if i had my dog groomed, didnt tip, and then found out later its common practice.
ugh.
i havent even brushed my dogs myself in months.......
poor skanky pups!!

restaurants we usually do 15%-20% depending on circumstances. often if we can tell someone is stressed/busy/short handed we will tip more even if the service is a little spotty cause like this whole thing started i feel it's usually not the server's fault. (hides under my desk and looks around expectantly for Springs to appear) it takes A LOT for us to not tip. in fact i think we have only not tipped once and it was like beyond the worst service ever.
even if we have subpar service we usually do 15% cause we're just pushovers in general.

taxis/shuttles we usually do a couple bucks mostly because we have no clue what the norm is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I feel super awkward tipping outside restaurant situations. Luckily I don't take my dogs to the groomers and my best friend cuts my hair usually, so I don't find myself in the situation often.

I don't really get why some people in the service industry get tipped and others don't. If a hairdresser gets to set their own prices and hours and I go in and get a haircut and its fine but doesn't blow me away.... Why should I tip? They didn't go above and beyond, open early for me or stay late for me, and they're doing their job.

Why tip hairdressers but not the nurses at my great grandmother's nursing home?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, I really would love clarification why society dictates tipping for some and not others. I've always felt weird about it.

When I was young someone explained tipping at a restaurant as, because we're seated at a table and the sever runs back and forth and literally makes it so we shouldn't have to do anything, and I accepted that. That's what made it different from, say, a fast food joint or deli.

When I ran the daycare I had a new customer say to me "please tell me honestly, is this something I should tip you for? I honestly don't know!" I was blown away, I never would have expected a tip. Occasionally people would tell me to keep the change on a cash transaction, but that was rare and honestly often because they were in a rush.

As for tip jars, why do they get to put tips jars out at coffee places and not where I work? I work at a frozen food store, and have to often spend quite a bit of time with customers, making suggestions, offering samples, opening boxes and presenting the product, and often going in and out of the freezer to get stuff we don't have space at the front for. I make minimum wage, and I'm pretty sure we would have to refuse a tip if offered it. And I'm totally fine with that, I like being able to help people find what they want and make suggestions. But why is that less worthy of a tip than the person in the coffee place who gets a tip for a black coffee? Why don't the people in te movie concessions get tips? That's pretty similar.

I sound like I am bisqueing about tipping, and I'm totally not. I think people deserve to be rewarded for doing a good job. I just don't know why the line is drawn for some and not others.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh coffee houses and takeout i usually dont tip.
maybe im a jerk but if i pick up takeout i dont tip unless im paying wtih cash (rare) and am given back some change.

for coffee i usually use my starbucks card or my credit card so i never have cash on me.
if for some bizarre i actually have cash to pay with i will usually tip the change.

i really hate leaving tips at Dunkin Donuts though because roughly 80% of the time they get your order wrong and i swear everyone they hire is mean.

if i ever had cash at Starbucks i would totally tip the people there because every SB i go to the people have always been super friendly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I agree, Moon. I'm not sure why people in retail aren't tipped, since they make measly wages and are in customer-oriented jobs. If my hairdresser pretty much expects a tip (and I always deliver), but I'm pretty sure she makes more than me before tips...what is the logic behind that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:32 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Oh, and do people tip on takeout food? Like if you go into a restaurant, having called and ordered ahead, and are picking it up to go? I don't because there's no server involved, but maybe that's wrong. I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

paprikapapaya wrote:
Oh, and do people tip on takeout food? Like if you go into a restaurant, having called and ordered ahead, and are picking it up to go? I don't because there's no server involved, but maybe that's wrong. I don't know.

i dont unless i pay with cash (very rare i never have cash on me) then if they have a tip bucket i might put the (coin) change in

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

paprikapapaya wrote:
I agree, Moon. I'm not sure why people in retail aren't tipped, since they make measly wages and are in customer-oriented jobs. If my hairdresser pretty much expects a tip (and I always deliver), but I'm pretty sure she makes more than me before tips...what is the logic behind that?

when i worked in retail we were not allowed to accept tips. it was like FORBIDDEN!
not that this was a huge problem mind you cause most people were super rude rather than wanting to tip.

i worked in a Borders and they did free wrapping. a couple people i wrapped a book for tried to tip me and i was like "AHHHHH NOOOOOO I CANT TAKE THAT" i think one nice elderly man pretty much forced me to take it.
they were way nicer than the raging bisque who bitched me out because she didnt like the way i wrapped her book. (it's a free service, what do you want? im not a professional wrapper!)

someone also tried to bribe me once to sell them a Harry Potter book before the midnight release time. hahahaha.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ok, I am glad I am not the only one who feels awkward about tipping. I almost feel this deserves its own thread. I just feel pressured every time I get a coffee out (not that often, I always make my own and take it to go), but I feel pressured when I see a tip jar. Or nowadays, a lot of smaller restaurants hand you an Ipad thing to sign and the tip thing pops up and they stare at you while you're putting in your signature. At a coffee shop they are making a coffee and that's it, they aren't really waiting on you like in a restaurant where they spend a considerable amount of time serving you and cleaning up after you etc.
Hairstylists work on commissions usually I believe. My hairdresser friend gets 50% of what the haircut is. So she gets $15 per haircut plus tips. She generally cuts two peoples hair an hour I think, so she makes pretty good money if she is consistently busy. Other hairstylists rent their chair and I presume pay some of the haircuts back to the salon. It's complicated.
For my dog, I get her hair cut about 3 times a year because she has skin issues and it helps her stay more comfortable in the summer. I usually tip about $5 for a $50 grooming session. It's just the tip jars EVERYWHERE that just make me feel anxious and awkward. God forbid you don't tip for a drip coffee. I generally don't anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I don't tip for take out btw. When I worked retail I got tipped every now and then and I would keep the money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

paprikapapaya wrote:

I definitely do! But maybe like 15% instead of 20%. The kitchen staff and the minimum-wage dishwashers get tipped out too.

I have a question, since this thread is now about tipping. The florist doing my bouquet for my wedding: I LOVE her. I want to steal her and make her my new second mum, but failing that, what should I tip her? She is being really accommodating to my vision and very limited budget, so I want to tip something extra special. I think I can only afford 20%--is that still going to be in the proper zone for receiving outstanding service? Would it be weird if I threw in a nice bottle of cider or something? (not 'or something' because cider is what I can get for free)

Oh and PSA. If you use a groupon or coupon, tip for god's sake. I used a groupon for a haircut and they told me all I had to do was pay the tax, and when I asked about how to tip, they were shocked that I'd even mentioned it because most people don't have it in their heads to tip on Groupons because they've "pre-paid". This happened at my workplace too. Groupon was HELL. We worked so hard to accommodate so many people and our serving staff were rarely acknowledged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:

Oh and PSA. If you use a groupon or coupon, tip for god's sake. I used a groupon for a haircut and they told me all I had to do was pay the tax, and when I asked about how to tip, they were shocked that I'd even mentioned it because most people don't have it in their heads to tip on Groupons because they've "pre-paid". This happened at my workplace too. Groupon was HELL. We worked so hard to accommodate so many people and our serving staff were rarely acknowledged.

I always tip on the full amount but i wonder how many people do so. I can see how some people might get confused though about how to tip on Groupons. It's kind of a shitty system because there's so much potential for the servers to get screwed on the tips.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm 

Yes, I would actually advocate Groupon (and its myriad of copycat sites) to somehow include the gratuity in the cost of the purchase, to simplify how awkward it can be as a server to communicate that we have not received gratuities (I never did--only on the very rare occasion that someone asked). Having a Groupon at your business is extremely stressful on its employees, as everyone books right before expiry, some people don't book at all because they don't read the fine print, and many people waltz in with an expired groupon and expect you to honour it. Shudder. Groupon. Every single day last spring I cursed Groupon, and now I feel guilty buying them but like, I can't afford a full-priced haircut and a proper tip, so the Groupon allows me to tip more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vijita wrote:
Yes, I would actually advocate Groupon (and its myriad of copycat sites) to somehow include the gratuity in the cost of the purchase, to simplify how awkward it can be as a server to communicate that we have not received gratuities

That would be a good idea, the problem is that most people go over the cost of the original Groupon so if the gratuity was included on the Groupon amount, the customer would still have to tip based on the extra amount. Ugh, it's just shitty that people can't figure this out. I'm kind of shocked that not tipping on coupons is so widespread!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm 

what do you do for a hairstylist who owns the salon and it's just them since all the money goes to them? i've been getting my haircut by my sister's friend who has a work/live space. She gives me a good deal so I always give her extra, but the people who just come to see her at regular price, should they tip? of course it's nice to tip, but if it's already an expensive haircut, i dunno what the protocol is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

LisaPunk wrote:

when i worked in retail we were not allowed to accept tips. it was like FORBIDDEN!
not that this was a huge problem mind you cause most people were super rude rather than wanting to tip.

i worked in a Borders and they did free wrapping. a couple people i wrapped a book for tried to tip me and i was like "AHHHHH NOOOOOO I CANT TAKE THAT" i think one nice elderly man pretty much forced me to take it.

It's a tax thing. If you accept tips and don't declare them you are a TAX EVADER and so is, I suppose, the place you work.

When I worked at Safeway carrying groceries out to cars in high school, a nice old man offered me 50 cents, and when I sadly apologized he just dropped some quarters into the pocket on my apron and winked and clapped me on the shoulder. It was kind of cute.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I don't know if this is translatable to hairdressing services, but in massage services (as far as I've seen) it's generally expected that you would tip someone who is an employee of a clinic or spa, and it's not expected that you would tip someone who is working for themself. But it's always appreciated, if you can afford to pay more!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Like solip said, the tipping is now a tax thing mostly and as a corollary, if you accepted tips your employer could legally pay you the tipped employees' minimum wage, which is much lower than regular minimum wage - that would probably work out worse for you in the end. When I waited tables, the person who was on take-out duty (answering the phone, interacting with the customer when they came to pick up food) was paid regular minimum wage that day and was not permitted to take tips. On the other hand, everybody I worked with was a tax evader. We all collectively agreed to report an 8% tip rate (so it wouldn't look suspicious?). Luckily nobody got audited.

Historically, though, I imagine that not tipping in retail also has something to do with commissions. Nicer department stores still give their workers commissions on what they sell, so they are being indirectly tipped as a percentage of what they sell.

Tipping hair washers: wait till the end of your haircut, tuck a couple bucks in their apron pocket and say thank you, even if they're in the middle of washing someone else's hair. They're used to it.

ETA: I just put the change in the tip jar if there's a place that has one. I don't consider it an obligation in any way. I just don't like change. Many places I eat at have a box for a charity instead of a tip jar, in which case I'd put my change there.

ETA again: If your employer pays you the tipped employees' minimum wage, they are supposed to ensure that between that wage and your tips you make at least the regular minimum wage and if not, pay you the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the funny thing about Borders is there was a tip jar in the cafe so the cafe employees could accept tips. which i understand it's a food thing again.
almost everyone who worked in the cafe also worked as a bookseller so their salary was that of a general store employee.

all the cafe people split all the tips evenly i think per day (not sure)
i was used as cafe backup every once in awhile and every now and then i would get like a $2 cut of the tips and i was always like "dudes just split it up between you guys i dont even know what the fizzle im doing when im in there" ;-)

when i worked scooping ice cream we got tips and i never reported them as income (TAX EVADER!) but im pretty sure an ice cream scooper's wages plus tips is still below the poverty level since i was in high school.

ive never tipped a hair washer at a salon. i always tip the person who cuts my hair and let them figure it out.
see way too stressful!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Vijita, you needn't tip your florist as high as 20% unless she's working for someone else. Granted, if you can afford the 20%, you should because it sounds like she's really made you happy...but the way it usually works for wedding vendors: if they own their own business, a tip isn't expected because they can set their prices at whatever they want to be making/whatever they need to cover rent. A good example would be our wedding photographer: he's been doing this for twenty years so he's acquired all the really expensive equipment; he doesn't have a boss who's taking a cut of what we're paying him and he works out of his home. You can always include tips with the thank-you notes to your vendors but if it's someone for whom a tip isn't required, any amount is going to be appreciated.

And because I like lists:

On tipping for takeout: Like Vijita, when I was serving, all the takeout tips went to the kitchen and dishwashers, which was fair. Echoing the reminder upthread that the kitchen staff makes minimum wage but not a living one (and cooking/washing dishes are really hard on the body). 10% is the standard for tipping on takeout (and it is considered poor etiquette to not tip at all). You may not have table service but if you're ordering from a restaurant that gets a lot of takeout orders, the kitchen has to speed up its pace. It's like the equivalent of getting seated five tables at once for any of the cooks. And someone is still boxing up your food and keeping it warm until you get there. It's not for nothing.

Tipping aestheticians, hairdressers, dog groomers, etc...: The reason tipping is standard in these industries is that hair stylists, et. al. are usually paying a pretty high rent for their space. They don't usually own their own buildings--even a salon owner is likelier to be renting the real estate than to own it. These jobs don't necessarily provide regular hours or a known amount of wages for the month...The cost of a haircut includes rent and their own supplies. If you know the rare person who owns their building, they can set their own prices and the tip isn't as imperative. That's just the logic behind tipping in these cases.

Tipping at the coffee shop: While it is completely unfair that minimum-wage jobs outside of food service can't put out a tip jar...that unfairness isn't created by those working in a coffee place. That's our completely forked up system of not having a living wage in the first place. So leave change/a dollar if you can; don't feel too guilty if you only have a card with you and there's no tip line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Brian's sister does my hair and the stylists wash the clients hair themselves, so I don't know how that tipping thing works, like if the stylist gives them a small cut of their tips or not. I'll have to ask her about it.

I do know she makes a ton of money in tips though, I don't know what the salon pays her hourly but she is really good at her job, so she has a lot of dedicated clients who tip her well.

Sometimes I bring her coffee or we go out to lunch and I buy it since she's doing my hair for free. She won't take money from me though. I mostly make up for it at Christmas by spending a good $30-40 dollars than I would on anyone else.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next