| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poor Service in Vegetarian Restaurants?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

tinglepants! wrote:
Tipping aestheticians, hairdressers, dog groomers, etc...: The reason tipping is standard in these industries is that hair stylists, et. al. are usually paying a pretty high rent for their space. They don't usually own their own buildings--even a salon owner is likelier to be renting the real estate than to own it. These jobs don't necessarily provide regular hours or a known amount of wages for the month...The cost of a haircut includes rent and their own supplies. If you know the rare person who owns their building, they can set their own prices and the tip isn't as imperative. That's just the logic behind tipping in these cases.

Dog groomer here, chiming in! Most groomers that don't own their own businesses make 50% of what you pay for the groom (so if you get a $50 groom, I only actually get $25 of that), and most of us are hired as independent contractors, which means we pay a higher percentage of taxes than a normal employee. Plus, there's the upkeep of our equipment and supplies that have to be replaced regularly. Also, there may be days that I only have one or two appointments and hardly make any money, so I'm not guaranteed $x amount every day/week. I imagine this is different from a retail job, where you spend time with your customer, sure, but you don't necessarily invest any of your own money into the business, and unless you work on commission, your wages aren't directly related to the time spent with customers, which I think is why it's not customary to tip people in retail positions.

As far as tipping goes, I'm bummed when someone gushes over how much they love a groom but doesn't bother tipping. That said, I think only about a third of my customers tip me at all, so it's not expected, but it's nice!

I always tip hair dressers and coffee shop people (if they make me a drink), and I always tip for delivery, but not for take-out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

I wonder...does the Groupon website say anything on there about tipping at least? Even if its not forced in on the purchase price, it could be listed on the printed voucher? Maybe we could suggest it to them if they don't. I haven't ever used a groupon but I did once do a valpack knockoff and I tipped the 20% on what the full price would be, but obviously many aren't, and probably a few might at least be people who just don't know. I actually have my first groupon, but its a dentist and I don't think people tip them. Maybe in this case I ought to since the price is hacked down so much?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

LisaPunk wrote:
oh coffee houses and takeout i usually dont tip.
maybe im a jerk but if i pick up takeout i dont tip unless im paying wtih cash (rare) and am given back some change.

for coffee i usually use my starbucks card or my credit card so i never have cash on me.
if for some bizarre i actually have cash to pay with i will usually tip the change.

i really hate leaving tips at Dunkin Donuts though because roughly 80% of the time they get your order wrong and i swear everyone they hire is mean.

if i ever had cash at Starbucks i would totally tip the people there because every SB i go to the people have always been super friendly

I never have cash either, so rarely tip at SB. Once in a while when I do have cash for some reason, I'll leave $10-20 in the tip jar to make up for my habitual non-tipping. I haven't been to a SB in almost a month now though! The soy milk thing was just too much. My budget is much happier now, although I do miss the friendly people in the mornings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

creep wrote:
tinglepants! wrote:
Tipping aestheticians, hairdressers, dog groomers, etc...: The reason tipping is standard in these industries is that hair stylists, et. al. are usually paying a pretty high rent for their space. They don't usually own their own buildings--even a salon owner is likelier to be renting the real estate than to own it. These jobs don't necessarily provide regular hours or a known amount of wages for the month...The cost of a haircut includes rent and their own supplies. If you know the rare person who owns their building, they can set their own prices and the tip isn't as imperative. That's just the logic behind tipping in these cases.

Dog groomer here, chiming in! Most groomers that don't own their own businesses make 50% of what you pay for the groom (so if you get a $50 groom, I only actually get $25 of that), and most of us are hired as independent contractors, which means we pay a higher percentage of taxes than a normal employee. Plus, there's the upkeep of our equipment and supplies that have to be replaced regularly. Also, there may be days that I only have one or two appointments and hardly make any money, so I'm not guaranteed $x amount every day/week. I imagine this is different from a retail job, where you spend time with your customer, sure, but you don't necessarily invest any of your own money into the business, and unless you work on commission, your wages aren't directly related to the time spent with customers, which I think is why it's not customary to tip people in retail positions.

As far as tipping goes, I'm bummed when someone gushes over how much they love a groom but doesn't bother tipping. That said, I think only about a third of my customers tip me at all, so it's not expected, but it's nice!

I always tip hair dressers and coffee shop people (if they make me a drink), and I always tip for delivery, but not for take-out.

My groomers in TN had a jar right on the counter, or else honestly, it wouldn't have occurred to me. I always tossed in a few dollars, depending on how much cash I had in my wallet. Even though they were always trying to give Bonny 'the yorkie head' even though I said not to every time...

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My groomers in TN had a jar right on the counter, or else honestly, it wouldn't have occurred to me. I always tossed in a few dollars, depending on how much cash I had in my wallet. Even though they were always trying to give Bonny 'the yorkie head' even though I said not to every time...

I think it's pretty common that people just don't know to tip groomers (or aestheticians, etc...) unless they're told because for any of us who haven't worked those jobs, it's a little boggling that there exists any place of employment in which one has to pay to work there...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

our favorite burrito place had a groupon last fall and i bought like 3 cause i was like OMG HALF PRICE BURRITOS NOMS!

it would never in a million years occur to me NOT to tip on top of that. i think it even said right on it "gratuity not included"

we always tipped on the full amount of the bill and sometimes even a little more cause we had paid almost nothing for the meal.

i do wonder though if you have $20 in groupon whatever and you spend $17 i wonder if some people think the server gets that remaining $3. i assume groupon gets it. i dont think the server sees a thing from groupon.

not sure how it works though. ALWAYS LEAVE A TIP WITH YOUR GROUPON!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my husband and i have this problem where occasionally (not frequently! but sometimes) will forget to leave a tip in our room at a hotel when checking out and i always remember like an hour later at the airport and i am beyond mortified.

my sad pathetic excuse is i think we are trying to hard to remember all out crepe that we forget the tip :-( if i was a dog i would post a picture of myself on dog shaming over that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 pm 
WRETCHED

I think I saw a tip envelope in a room for the first time maybe 6 or 7 years ago? and I was like "wow, you are supposed to tip!?", I never knew.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have never left a tip in a hotel room, and I travel a lot. And I thought I was a generous tipper. It never even occurred to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i feel better now. i thought that was standard? we usually leave like $2 per day. it goes to the housekeeping staff.

the other thing about dog grooming that just occurred to me (creep correct me if im wrong) is they do some of the more unpleasant things owners may not want to or know how to do like nail trims and anal sac expression if needed.

ive taken my hound mix with butt issues to the vet a few times to have his anal glands expressed and im pretty sure it was like $30.
one time it must have been a new tech that did it cause he came out and he WREAKED. i put him in my car before paying because he is terrified of the vet office and i thought he would be better in my car while i was paying and he jumped in my front seat and leaked anal juice all over one of my seats.
WORST.SMELL.EVER.

i would tip someone well to do that for me. it might not occur to me at first to tip a dog groomer but once i realized it i would tip well for that service!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm 
WRETCHED

Dog groomers express anal glands? We go to the vet, it is $25. I tried to do it once but failed. I had diagrams and gloves but still couldn't figure it out. The vet told us that they'd teach us to do it though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 pm 
***LIES!!!***

You should definitely, definitely, definitely tip in hotel rooms. Also, strip your sheets if you can, and collect towels in one place. Housekeeping is backbreaking labor that is way underpaid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I'm kind of shocked that no one tips housekeeping. I try to remember to do it when I very rarely stay in hotels. I think it might have something to do with the fact that people who do cleaning are very invisible in our society. People seem to regard them on a lower level than servers and sort of untouchable.

It brings to my mind Barbara Ehrenreich's book Nickel and Dimed, how she observed in there how differently she was treated out in public when she was wearing her waitress uniform, versus when she was wearing a cleaning uniform.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

linanil my husband tried several times and even watched youtube videos. lol.

i *think* some do. it may depend on the groomer but for some reason i thought that small dogs like maltese and stuff get their anal glands expressed when they go to the groomer (my inlaws have 2 maltese and i thought they said this)

why they would need them regularly done im not sure. usually it's a problem that comes up once in awhile.

maybe creep can clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

it is indeed the foulest smell ever. Cat juice doesn't smell much better though, blegh.

Nickel and Dimed is such a good book.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I hate when I forget to leave a tip in the hotel room. Generally I'm pretty good about tipping, but this is definitely one that slips my mind. The 'rule' I heard is $1 per day per person.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Yes please tip the hotel housekeeper. They work so hard and get paid very little.

Please make it obvious that the tip is for them by leaving it obviously on the pillow or in an envelope/with a note marked 'housekeeping'. Sometimes they don't know it's for them and they are afraid of getting in trouble for stealing. I was on a business trip with a group of people and one guy was collecting change on his nightstand for laundry. The housekeeper thought it was a tip and took it. This crasshole went ballistic about his stupid quarters and complained to the management. I couldn't believe I was sharing air with such a dirtbag. I told him how mean it was to go after the person with the worst job in the hotel but he was hell bent on being a prick over those quarters. So make it obvious that your tip is a tip because that housekeeper might be afraid of being accused of stealing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

That is a good tip about the envelopes. I always put my towels in one area and leave the room clean enough. I have cleaned before for a living and it was pretty awful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm 
WRETCHED

la vie sale wrote:
Nickel and Dimed is such a good book.

I actually disliked it, I thought she was very arrogant.

I guess I also never considered housekeepers invisible because I don't know, I usually say Hi if I see them? And when I was young, we were always in hotels that would skimp on towels (especially for a room of 3 people) so I'd be sent to go get extra towels and what not and generally they were friendly.

And unless I'm staying in a hotel for longer than a few days, I don't usually get daily housekeeping. 2-3 nights, I can go without it so usually do so if we do leave a tip, it would be at the end of our stay so I'd think they'd realize 'hey they are checking out, this is a tip'.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Ariann wrote:
Like solip said, the tipping is now a tax thing mostly and as a corollary, if you accepted tips your employer could legally pay you the tipped employees' minimum wage, which is much lower than regular minimum wage - that would probably work out worse for you in the end.

Apparently we have a wage difference here for "liquor servers", so anyone in a licensed establishment who would typically receive tips. Which is something I did not know! But people in coffee houses and other typically tipped workers would be paid a typical minimum wage, unless they're students.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:27 pm 
WRETCHED

students aren't subject to the minimum wage? They are in the US.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yep, we do anal glands. Everywhere I've ever worked, it costs $10, but most groomers do it externally unless they were a vet tech at some point and know how to do it internally. Externally doesn't work for all dogs though.

As for people not knowing to tip a groomer, that's what I thought too, but even with a tip line on the credit card voucher, or a jar, or envelopes that say "Groom Tips," the tipping situation doesn't seem dramatically different. I did, however, make slightly more tips in the two places I worked that actually had to ask the customer if they'd like to add a tip to the transaction. I guess those people got shamed into tipping? There was this grumpy old lady who wanted to tell me her life's story every time she came in (but didn't want to know anything about me), and every time the manager would ask if she wanted to leave a tip, she'd say "a couple!" (as in, two dollars)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I like to get my waitstaff to express my dog's anal glands. They have to earn that tip.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:35 pm 
WRETCHED

Yeah, I think our beagle needs internal anal gland expressing. You should've seen his face when I was digging around trying to 'get it'. Also, we tested it outside as there was no way I'd do it inside.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
students aren't subject to the minimum wage? They are in the US.

It goes by province in Canada. In Ontario the minimum wage is $10.25 and the student wage (under 18 and working less than 28 hours a week) is... $9.60

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next