| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The linguists club
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

Ariann wrote:
Native Hebrew speakers have a really hard time with words like "squirrel," which they pronounce "skvirl." A lot of difficulty with the "w" sound in general, but especially in combination with other consonants.

I have an unreasonable love for the way native Hebrew speakers speak English. It reminds me of my college boyfriends mothers and its just incredibly endearing. I kind of want to hug someone when I hear it.

I speak English, German (grew up in Austria and then lived, studied and worked in Germany and Austria as an adult) and French (got a French law degree there). I would really like to have Leela learn both languages, because really learning languages has been one of my great joys.

We met a little boy today who spoke English, Hindi and Spanish at 2 and I was so impressed.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Oh, I know it's not just about the grammar. It's just that I was wondering where Korean was grammar-wise as I wondered if it'd be easier than Chinese was for me. Chinese grammar was easy, at least for the "basic" stuff, but pronounciation and writing was horribly difficult. Japanese pronounciation is much easier but the writing is still problematic and the grammar is much more difficult. I was just curious to see where Korean fit in there.

The only grammar I studied that I found difficult was Icelandic, Finnish and Welsh so far. I think because most of the time it's because it just seems easier than my mother tongue German.

The grammar is definitely far more difficult than Chinese grammar (for native English speakers), and is very similar to Japanese grammar--so much so that as someone who has high proficiency in Japanese I can often recognize Korean grammatical components that I've never seen before. I'm in my second semester of Korean language studies currently, and thanks to knowing Japanese I never really have to review grammar at all, but I imagine that for non-Japanese speakers it's pretty tough to learn. That said, Korean is muuuuch easier than Japanese (and Chinese) writing-wise since you don't have to deal with hanzi, just the alphabet. I still struggle with pronunciation and aural comprehension a bit (mostly the former) because of dipthongs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv9GjTBQ2JA
Which one of these is difficult for you/English speakers? Or is it difficult to always use the right one?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:01 pm 
Grandfathered In

I've watched every K-WOW episode!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:42 am 
Double double, toil and trouble

FootFace wrote:
I've watched every K-WOW episode!

I love K-Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Native Hebrew speakers have a really hard time with words like "squirrel," which they pronounce "skvirl." A lot of difficulty with the "w" sound in general, but especially in combination with other consonants.

I have an unreasonable love for the way native Hebrew speakers speak English. It reminds me of my college boyfriends mothers and its just incredibly endearing. I kind of want to hug someone when I hear it.

I don't speak English like an Israeli generally, but I now work with so many Israelis and get to speak and hear Hebrew so often with them that I find myself falling into an Israeli accent or Hebrew syntax in English sometimes.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2