| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Karaoke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Last time I did My Chick Bad by Ludacris...that was epic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:25 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Yeah...don't do Bohemian Rhapsody! Even if you're the best singer in the world, nobody wants to hear that song at karaoke.

I usually pick something from the '90s alt rock vein...a song that everyone loves, but doesn't hear very much anymore. Like recently I've done "Cumbersome" by 7 Mary 3, "Good" by Better Than Ezra, and "Lightning Crashes" by Live.

It helps to pick a song you've sung along with in the car or something before...so you'll know if it's going to be in your range. If you care about that sort of thing. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

"Baby got Back". Oh my god Becky, look at her butt...This used to be my go-to song. And it's fun to shake your asparagus to! I can carry a tune, but I'm not the best singer out there. However, I can pose and swagger with the best of them after a couple of glasses of scotch.

Also, "She's Crafty"/Beasties, (if you can sing along with that one on your ipod already-it's a little tricky but fun to pull off). "Big Balls"- AC/DC. "I Like Beer". by...I can't remember right now. And a long song that I've made work without the audience cringing is "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash. L to the mutha forking D is in the house, yo! But it has to be later in the night when people are drinking heavily and already dancing.

Love Shack sucks. It seems like it would be awesome, but it's hard. At least for me and my friends.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:53 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

My friend allays gets great reactions when she does 'It's oh so Quiet' by Bjork... however I've seen another person do this one and it was terrible, so only do this one if you know you're good at the screamy bits (and don't sing them) and you have to move you're body around a lot too.

Oh and, audiences seem to like 90's R&B/Pop, I think it's because of the average age of people who go to Karaoke now, but Destiny's Child and TLC, that kind of stuff, seem to get a lot of love. You'd think Spice Girls would get a lot of love but it seems real hit or miss.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:58 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I did:
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton
Wide Open Spaces by Dixie Chicks
Don't Cry for Me Argentina
Don't Stop Believing

and a few more I don't remember at this point....that's the joy of private room karaoke...you can sing a lot!

I don't think I'll ever have the balls to sing in front of an actual crowd!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FabulouslyFierce wrote:
Don't Stop Believing

i so wanted to suggest this, but i was afraid everyone would groan and tell me it was the "free bird" cry of karaoke. i love this song deeply and unironically and have shouted along to it while washing dishes or brushing my teeth many, many, many times. i especially love it at karaoke because it has that longish instrumental break in the middle that's so awkward for everyone if you just stand there looking around at your audience while you wait for the vocals to come back in. maybe that part is more fun when the audience doesn't know you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

acr wrote:
FabulouslyFierce wrote:
Don't Stop Believing

i so wanted to suggest this, but i was afraid everyone would groan and tell me it was the "free bird" cry of karaoke. i love this song deeply and unironically and have shouted along to it while washing dishes or brushing my teeth many, many, many times. i especially love it at karaoke because it has that longish instrumental break in the middle that's so awkward for everyone if you just stand there looking around at your audience while you wait for the vocals to come back in. maybe that part is more fun when the audience doesn't know you.

Don't Stop Believing works if you own the hell out of it. I once saw a great big metal dude go all out on it, complete with down-on-the-floor air guitar through the instrumental break...if you can pull off something like that, turn it into a crazy performance rather than just getting up there and singing it off the screen, then you can do Don't Stop Believing. Otherwise...well, yeah, then it's the Free Bird cry of karaoke.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Man, I wish karaoke started before f-ing 10pm. Noone does karaoke in this town before 10, so I've never gone because I'm way to old to be starting something at 10.