| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ? about ordering books on amazon w/o prime shipping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hello, a few months ago i ordered a non-book item (eligible for free shipping) at such a good price directly from amazon.com, i didn't care that it took nearly a week for them to ship my item. once it left their warehouse, it arrived in a very timely manner.

however, my hubby's b'day is coming up, and although we are bn.com members, amazon.com has some really good prices on some specific books so i was thinking of filling my cart with at least $25 in books to get the free super saver shipping. i don't mind that it might take 5 - 8 days to get the books once my order leaves their warehouse, but in your experience, does amazon.com ship out book orders fairly quickly (within 24 to 48 hours) to those of us that don't subscribe to amazon prime???

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: ? about ordering books on amazon w/o prime shipping
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My experience with Amazon is that they ship stuff scary-fast. Like I don't even understand how they get things to me so quickly. I'd go for it!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, I never had to wait the time that they claim. They just say that because if they have a backlog of priority orders, they'll delay yours.

Especially if they usually ship to you from nearby, you'll be fine.

I have prime only because it's cheaper or I break even for me to pay $70/year than try to make $25 orders when I only want a $12 book. Plus, I can share it with my parents, so they get the free shipping too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
My experience with Amazon is that they ship stuff scary-fast. Like I don't even understand how they get things to me so quickly. I'd go for it!

This. I am beginning to think Amazon is magic and run by wizards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:25 am 
Discovered unobtainium

There was a lengthy article somewhere a while back on the unpleasant and very demanding working conditions at all the mega warehouses Amazon and other similar retailers ship from.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

if it's coming directly from amazon and not a seller who sells on amazon then i think you will get it way faster than they claim.

if it's not shipped by amazon.com then it could/probably will take longer.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

lavawitch wrote:
There was a lengthy article somewhere a while back on the unpleasant and very demanding working conditions at all the mega warehouses Amazon and other similar retailers ship from.

It made me really want to not buy from amazon anymore :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 am 
WRETCHED

Moon wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I think there is some discrepancies though. If I'm correct, a spouse of a PPK works at an Amazon warehouse and said it wasn't like the article described. Some warehouses do better than others. If you are getting super fast shipping, it is most likely mechanized and I believe that the recently acquired warehouses for amazon weren't mechanized but they are in the process of doing it for all their warehouses.

I'd also expect online stores with slower shipping (ShoeBuy I'm looking at you) are probably not mechanized meaning there could be not ideal labor conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think that article y'all are referring to came out around the holiday season......

And again, thanks for y'alls opinions on amazon. I ended up going with bn.com anyway as I didn't want to risk any unexpected shipping delays. Perhaps will consider amazon.com in the future, but I don't like that there is no 800# to contact them and no actual physical location to do a return. It is quite convenient that if I need to return a purchase from bn.com I can just drive over to the actual store and make the return.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

linanil wrote:
Moon wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I think there is some discrepancies though. If I'm correct, a spouse of a PPK works at an Amazon warehouse and said it wasn't like the article described. Some warehouses do better than others. If you are getting super fast shipping, it is most likely mechanized and I believe that the recently acquired warehouses for amazon weren't mechanized but they are in the process of doing it for all their warehouses.

I'd also expect online stores with slower shipping (ShoeBuy I'm looking at you) are probably not mechanized meaning there could be not ideal labor conditions.

viewtopic.php?p=507205#p507205

This was the thread about the warehouse, but it was never actually named as Amazon. I wouldn't say to just order from B&N as a solution to the problems in the article, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have never had a problem with Amazon shipping. I do think they ship things fairly quickly. The times I did not care for it is when I pre-ordred a book. If you select the 'free shipping' they do not ship it until after the book is released. So I usually get the book one week after it is released. But that is because I take the free shipping.

I also buy many of my books at overstock.com - they are pretty comparable on prices with Amazon. At times, I got the books cheaper at overstock. If I have a big order I price compare the two. Overstock charges for shipping but it is minor. And many times even with shipping I came slightly under the Amazon price and got the books quicker - since now I'm paying for the shipping and not getting the free shipping with Amazon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:58 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I know you already placed your B&N order but I had to chime in...

The few times I have placed a B&N order it has taken forever to ship and the shipping is crazy long. A calendar around xmas took 2 weeks to get here after a week of having placed my order...Amazon has been rather good on all our orders, we order a lot of books and DVDs, even from seller stuff has been timely!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am 
Chard Martyr

Amazon.ca and B&N are crazy slow in Canada, but when I lived in the US, it was nuts how fast stuff was shipped (just for regular shipping). They must have warehouses everywhere in the US, because my amazon.ca stuff always comes from Ontario, which is an ocean and four huge provinces away.

In summary, you should be fine!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I buy Chester's liver meds from amazon because it's half the price it would be from the vet, last week I ordered two boxes on Thursday morning and they were delivered Friday and I was kind of creeped out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

you can buy pet meds on amazon?
do you need an Rx?

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Not for this one - it's called Denosyl and it's OTC, but the only local place I could get it would be the vet's office.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:55 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You can buy flea and heartworm stuff on amazon too, but I've always had to get my vet to fax the company an rx for the heartworm stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I buy all my supplements, chinchilla supplies, and pretty much any book I need on amazon. I've never waited more than a few days. I get three to four packages a month from them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
I know you already placed your B&N order but I had to chime in...

The few times I have placed a B&N order it has taken forever to ship and the shipping is crazy long. A calendar around xmas took 2 weeks to get here after a week of having placed my order...Amazon has been rather good on all our orders, we order a lot of books and DVDs, even from seller stuff has been timely!

i consistently have good experiences with bn.com (knock on wood!) bummer about your calendar order though....
it would have been nice to save a few bucks but i went with bn.com cuz i knew what to expect. i had no idea if amazon.com would ship my books ASAP since i am not a member.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fee wrote:
This was the thread about the warehouse, but it was never actually named as Amazon. I wouldn't say to just order from B&N as a solution to the problems in the article, though.

nope, but i'm a member at bn.com and that's why i ordered from there. most major retailers have warehouses, unfortuantely i suppose that not all the workers work in a safe environment and are treated well :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:02 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I love how fast Amazon ships. They've only freaked me out once - I wanted to try some new cat litter, which they had for a good price. Ordered it one day with the basic free shipping, and it was at my door the next day. I always seem to get pre-orders before the release date, even with the free shipping, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

i don't know if you've done this before, but you can get a free trial of Amazon prime if you have a special occasion and want stuff fast for a month. Or if you're a student you can get a year free and discounted prices after that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We have prime on my husband's account, but sometimes I'll order from my own account if I'm getting him a gift or something, and it pretty much never takes longer than like 4-5 days with standard shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 pm 
ugh

creep wrote:
We have prime on my husband's account, but sometimes I'll order from my own account if I'm getting him a gift or something, and it pretty much never takes longer than like 4-5 days with standard shipping.

He should add you to his account! "Free or paid Amazon Prime members can share their shipping benefits with up to four additional family members living in the same household, or up to four coworkers." http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200444180

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

b.vicious wrote:
creep wrote:

He should add you to his account! "Free or paid Amazon Prime members can share their shipping benefits with up to four additional family members living in the same household, or up to four coworkers." http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... =200444180

I wish I knew this back when I had prime! I got the free trial and forgot about it and ended up paying. Oops!

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next