| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Gmail proficient?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I have some things I'm wanting to do in Gmail and I'm not sure how they work and don't want to chance it and embarrass myself.

First of all - what are the circles? If someone's in your circle do they know? If I add all these non-gmail people to a work circle are they going to be told they're in my circle and send me 36 confused emails about what I've signed them up for?

Second - I have emails I send out daily to groups of people and I always just copy and paste all the emails but I know there's an easier way of doing this - hey, it might involve the circles. Is there a way of just ...this email goes out to everyone at X company so I just put X company in the To: line and it lists all those emails automatically?

Post subject: Re: Anyone Gmail proficient?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

1) People get a notice they're in "your" circle, but they don't know which one. Just that you were gracious enough to add them.
2) In Gmail > Contacts you can set up groups. Create a group, name it, an add all folks you want. When you want to email the group, compose a new message and type the group name (e.g. "PPKBFFs" or whatever).

If you want better directions than that, send a pm and we can screenshare or chat.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am 

If they're non-gmail, they might get an invite to g-plus (which uses circles). So if you just want to create something for emailing groups of people easily, do it through your contacts and forget the circles. Circles are like fb filters for g+.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am 

Thankyou!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

my work switched to Google as our email system and Google+ is driving me nuts. I stay away from social networking, I'm not on FB etc., and it annoys me that I'm now visible on there through my work. I'm afraid people going to try to add me.

Sorry, I had to derail with this rant.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am 

I like it sooo much better than Outlook. In fact, I hate Outlook and wish everyone at work would just give in and switch. But I don't want to do this circle business or make anything social networkey at work. I say as I ppk at work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yeah I like it as email but I am wary of this potential blending of work and personal life, and social networking etc.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Quarantined wrote:
my work switched to Google as our email system and Google+ is driving me nuts. I stay away from social networking, I'm not on FB etc., and it annoys me that I'm now visible on there through my work. I'm afraid people going to try to add me.

My work just switched to Gmail, too! Weird!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

My work just switched to Gmail, too! Weird!

I saw on the T the other day all these posters of companies switching to Google, I think a bunch of places are doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:43 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I saw that, too! My company wasn't listed though; I was looking for it. Everyone freaked OUT here. I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm 

Yeah, I love it. I have all my university (etc.) accounts routed through gmail. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to have the convo. feature for their emails (tracking everything by thread, rather than sender or whatever), and I get really confused whenever I see anyone trying to deal with Outlook or other webinterfaces.

But yeah. Yeah. Work stuff and social networky stuff is best kept separate. 20001%

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:26 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I love gmail at work rather than having to deal with Outlook. It really makes all the e-mails and calendaring seamless between my various devices the way Outlook couldn't. On the other hand, I am not a fan of the gmail interface - I can't have the text big enough on the page unless the page itself is way too big for my screen and there's a lot of annoying scrolling involved and usually I can't figure out how to scroll because there are like 3 nested scrollbars. Very annoying. I also don't like the layout of the stuff in the column on the left. There's probably a way to modify that, but I am lazy so I haven't looked into it. I don't seem to be connected to G+ through my work account.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 pm 

Yeah, I don't like the column to the left either. But if there's not a simple way to change it that's not immediately apparent I just throw my hands up in frustration, give up, and post about it on the internet.