| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about publishing a cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So I'm writing a cookbook (as everyone seems to be atm, for some reason) and I want to finish it this summer (while also writing my BA thingie, nevermind..).

Anyway, last week I talked to this guy who published a great German book on veganism last year with one of the big publishing houses. He asked me if I'd already found a publisher and I said no and that I wasn't sure whether I would want to selfpublish instead. He said I could always opt for self publishing if I didn't find anything, but that I should get an agent anyway.

Do you guys agree? My brother works in the internet marketing industry and I think I might actually reach more people (and do my own thing..) if I self published. Yet, it also sounds like a lot more work. I think I'd love to get published somewhere just for the feeling of "yeah! book contract! almost like a writer!". And agents? I mean, they get payed whether I find a publisher or not, right?

Oh and to make it clear: I'm writing this in German, so it would be for a German-speaking market. Not sure how much that matters for my question, though.

Post subject: Re: Questions about publishing a cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Agents only get paid if they sell your book. Any agency who gets money fom you is a scam and should be avoided!

Good luqk with your project!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

They get money if I sign or if they can find any publisher who would publish the book?

The book author I mentioned said he might be able to help me find a good agent, so maybe I will try that, thanks.

Has everyone else on this board who's published a cookbook used an agent? Or has anyone self-published books and/or cookbooks? Any experiences?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

They only get money out of your royalties if the book sells. If they fail to get a contract for you, they don't get paid. This is why finding a good agent can be as hard, or harder, than finding a publisher.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Good luck! I agree with trying to find an agent. They know what will sell well, so they will sign you if they think your book is good and will do well. With self publishing, I'm not sure how you'd reach more people because your book wouldn't be in stores.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

An agent will take a percentage of your sales and advance, and won't charge you anything until this point. They will also give you content advice, edit your work, and deal with your contract for you. Most publishers will only look at work that comes through an agent nowadays, so if you want to get a broad distribution of your cookbook, and this is your first book, an agent will probably be the best option.

On the other hand, if you just want to get the book out there, and you don't care about becoming the next cookbook guru, and you don't want an agent or publisher to take their cut of your earnings, self-publishing could be a good idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:19 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Quote:
With self publishing, I'm not sure how you'd reach more people because your book wouldn't be in stores.

It probably wouldn't be in a lot of stores if I publish with a small publishing agent, either.

And I would get a ISBN number and stuff like this. I also thought about doing book-on-demand so it would be as easy for a bookshop to sell it as everything else. But I know most bookshops only go through the top 10 publishers and don't even see what the others got.

I guess I will try to email his agent and maybe she can help me out with where/how to look for some one. And if it doesn't work out, I could still selfpublish and spend some money on marketing, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Quote:
On the other hand, if you just want to get the book out there, and you don't care about becoming the next cookbook guru, and you don't want an agent or publisher to take their cut of your earnings, self-publishing could be a good idea.

This sums it up. I'm just not sure what exactly it is I want!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

A book I read last year about Alzheimer's was self published and made it on the NYTimes best sellers list just from online marketing alone. So it's possible to get a wide audience, even if you're self published. But beyond that tidbit I've got nothing to help you!