| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegans Needed for Online Survey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm a college student working on a research project about Food and Farming. I could really use some more vegan/vegetarian participants. The survey should only take about 5 minutes.

http://www.surveypie.com/survey101936

If you find the survey interesting, please pass it along to your veg or non-veg friends.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Vegans Needed for Online Survey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i dood it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I dood it too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thank you! I'm very excited to compare the results for veg vs. non-veg. Already I'm seeing the results are going to be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

I started to take it but when it gets to the part about farm animals and animal welfare I don't know how to answer because farming animals for food isn't good for their welfare at all. I just don't understand how to answer honestly. It looks like a "humane" meat thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I started to take it but when it gets to the part about farm animals and animal welfare I don't know how to answer because farming animals for food isn't good for their welfare at all. I just don't understand how to answer honestly. It looks like a "humane" meat thing.

I thought the same thing, especially the one that said "Veal is inhumane." Uhh, yes, but I think any meat is inhumane, soooo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Mr. Shankley, I totally understand what you mean. I encourage you to finish the survey and offer your opinion about what is important for farm animal welfare even though you don't agree with animals being used for food. There is a place at the end of the survey where you can write additional comments and you can mention this there in whatever depth you wish. I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

Survey taken. Can I offer one suggestion, for this or future surveys? Add a "prefer not to answer" button or an "other" option to the gender section or make it a non-required question. Not everyone can just pick one or the other.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Abolitionist vs. Welfare questions made a couple of the answers tricky but I did it. I am in Canada and there was a space for Canada in location which made me happy I didn't have to lie and say Washington. I think vegans have pretty similar views whichever side of the border.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

parkerk wrote:
Survey taken. Can I offer one suggestion, for this or future surveys? Add a "prefer not to answer" button or an "other" option to the gender section or make it a non-required question. Not everyone can just pick one or the other.

Noted! I can't change it now for this survey, but will consider it in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

done

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

Another thing, I find words like "frequently," "occasionally," and the such to not be very good in research when they're not defined. #/week, #/day, #/month, #/year- those words need to be defined. What may be frequent to me may not be frequent to someone else so it's hard for me to judge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Done! Will you be able to share any results/conclusions with the ppk?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Did it, looks like you took some time on making it. What is your research question or what you are trying to conclude?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Would like to see the results too!

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

vegetable_assassin wrote:
Did it, looks like you took some time on making it. What is your research question or what you are trying to conclude?

I'm investigating the relationships between food choices and awareness of farm animal production as well as public concern for animal welfare. One question is, do people with veg*an diets or who choose "humane" animal products have a greater awareness of animal welfare issues? Another question is, how does public concern for animal welfare compare with current industry practices? Those are just a few of the areas I am looking into.

I will gladly share the results of this survey, in some form or another, with PPK after the survey closes and I have completed the research project (in April or May). So far I have over 150 responses, 20% of which are from vegans. Thanks for everyone who took the time to do the survey. Anyone else who wants to do it is welcome to!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Tofu wrote:
parkerk wrote:

Noted! I can't change it now for this survey, but will consider it in the future.

Yeah, I have to say, I was pretty frustrated to find that after I took the time to fill out that entire survey, I could not even submit it, because it required me to say I was male or female, and I am not male or female.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:10 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Another suggestion: an "I don't know" option for the sentence-completion thing.

Also, I found the Urban/Suburban/Rural option confusing, because I have no idea how how I live compares to how Americans live. I would also make it more explicit at the beginning that it has a US-bias. I just genuinely have no idea about how American laws work; I'm pretty hazy about the whole state/federal/national thing works if I'm honest.

But I dood it all the same!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:41 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Gulliver wrote:

Also, I found the Urban/Suburban/Rural option confusing, because I have no idea how how I live compares to how Americans live. I would also make it more explicit at the beginning that it has a US-bias.

It says in the intro bit:
Quote:
You were chosen as a participant because you live in the United States

so I just assumed you had to be American to participate, so I didn't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:42 am 
Inflexitarian

I did it.

I'm gonna whine too though:

In questions 3-4 on the last page, it would help if you specified what you meant by confinement, since pretty much all farm animals are by definition confined (they're not allowed to leave!). I think you mean something more specific (kept in cages?), but I'm not sure.

In earlier questions (not sure about numbers), it would help if you specified what you meant by "access to outdoors"... if a giant hen house has one tiny door and a small space that only a few hens can ever fit in, is that "access to outdoors"?

A lot of the wording is wishy-washy.... When I say that I do not want an animal to experience painful procedures, that means I do not support slaughter. Someone else might not see slaughter as a painful procedure... so instead of asking about "painful procedures" (vague) it might help to break that into several more specific questions about debeaking, slaughter, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:16 am 

Done! Also interested in results.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

jogirl wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Also, I found the Urban/Suburban/Rural option confusing, because I have no idea how how I live compares to how Americans live. I would also make it more explicit at the beginning that it has a US-bias.

Quote:

Ah! Derp. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:12 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Gulliver wrote:
jogirl wrote:
Gulliver wrote:

Quote:

Ah! Derp. Sorry!

You don't *have* to be in the U.S. to take it. I am focusing on the U.S. food system so Americans are the most relevant audience.

I am SO thankful for all of you who have taken the survey. Sorry if there's been some frustration when answering some of the questions. My professor gave our class no instruction on how to create a survey, let alone an effective one, so I just did my best. On a side note, I'm aware that some of the wording is vague or undefined, though mostly this was purposeful.

Regardless of the survey results, the most important thing is that I get to present this subject in my Sustainable Foods class of about 30 people. I am the only one in my class doing research related to animal welfare. Considering I go to an ag school in Montana, where this topic is practically heresy, the response from the class should be quite interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:15 pm 

Would it be useful for a UK-based person to do it? Presumably you have a specific research question, such as attitudes to food amongst different dietary groups in the United States or similar? If so, could you share it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Imogen wrote:
Would it be useful for a UK-based person to do it? Presumably you have a specific research question, such as attitudes to food amongst different dietary groups in the United States or similar? If so, could you share it?

Yup, that's about right. I'm looking into how food choices relate to awareness and concern of farm animal production. The focus is on the U.S. food system, but I think it would still be useful if someone from the UK wants to take the survey. Below the list of US states there is an option for Canada and a generic category for "other countries" (sorry). In the comments box at the end you can specify your country, talk about animal welfare in your own country or anything else you want to share.