| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Dubious Claim to Not-Quite-Fame
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quote:
dont make me bust out my list of indie rock stars im "friends" (cough cough read as friendly acquaintances) with!!!

do it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ummm. I passed John Waters going down the stairs a month or so ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kitten Cakes wrote:
Ummm. I passed John Waters going down the stairs a month or so ago.

nice, where were you? I'm a big fan.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Peri wrote:
My internet bff just got her first book published and it's now available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Devil-Shawn ... wna+romkey

So, just waiting on her to become famous.

That's pretty cool. It's got some good reviews so she's bound to be famous soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Quarantined wrote:

It was after seeing Hairspray at the Meyeroff in Baltimore, which John Waters directed and narrated. Ohhhh it was so good. Anyway, I guess that would be a pretty good place to come thisclose to bumping into his shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Kitten Cakes wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

It was after seeing Hairspray at the Meyeroff in Baltimore, which John Waters directed and narrated. Ohhhh it was so good. Anyway, I guess that would be a pretty good place to come thisclose to bumping into his shoulder.

awesome, I love him. I recently read his book Role Models and it was so good. The section on Baltimore dive bars is especially great.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am 
Dead by dawn

Ooh, ooh... I have one! My junior prom dress went to the Oscars in 1988. I was, unfortunately, not in it at the time. Another one of my high school dance dresses went to the Oscars the next year. Same non-me person wearing it as the year before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:38 am 
WRETCHED

In the dubious category, my grandmother was heavily courted by a famous latino author (like his books on Amazon are 500+ positive reviews) between her first marriage (my biological grandfather) and her second marriage (my true grandfather). She turned him down though to date and marry my (true) grandfather. My grandfather was a much better man having met the author.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

The movie We Are Marshall was filmed in the town where I live, and I went to the college where it takes place. I know a bunch of people that are extras in it. It was a giant pain in the asparagus while they were here and I never saw Matthew McConaughey (I was in a big too cool for school period, so I avoided the whole thing).

Jennifer Garner was born in my state capital, 45 minutes from where I live.

Also, a friend of mine's cousin is married to Billy Joel. She hosted the first season of Top Chef but was horrible at it, and then they got awesome Padma instead.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Melissa Etheridge bought cockatoo stuff from us. We also shipped boatloads of stuff to weird studio ciy addresses, paid for by anonymous accountant checks, so we can just invent the celebs, right?

And, ooh, ooh. I was in the stacks of Crerar (u Chicago med school library) when the production crew came in film Harrison Ford being chased. He broke his leg whole filming and hobbled around his trailers for a few days. He was super nice about giving students autographs.

Joe Pesci filmed scenes for a movie across from the Oriental Institute, where I was working. They had it all rigged up with fake snow. It was the seminary school at U Chicago but was pretending to be Harvard because Harvard doesn't allow idiotic movies to be filmed on campus.

I had my first kiss at the place where Harry and Sally drove off from at the start of the movie. Not on purpose though.

Last edited by lavawitch on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I walked past Julia Louis-Dreyfus on the sidewalk once. Her husband, Brad Hall, was with her. She's tiny and he's super tall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I worked for one day at this fancy coffee subscription place and packaged orders addressed to Amy Grant & Vince Gill, Oprah's boyfriend Stedman and her BFF Gayle.

I totally looked up their addresses when I got home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:52 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

In high school I was friends with Grimes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Henry Winkler kissed me on the cheek when I found his baton. He is very petite.
I sold John Kennedy Jr some tee-shirts once.
Lili Taylor might be coming to our fundraiser next month - does that count?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I went to college with Liz Phair and although I didn't know her, she dated a guy at the end of my hall freshman year.

When I lived in Seattle, I lived two blocks away from the building where they filmed Singles and my bus stop was right across the street. (You can see the bus stop in the scene where Matt Dillon shatters the car windows by turning the stereo too high.) I never saw anyone famous coming in or out during the filming but I did see crew and catering staff running around.

My uncle was Rick James's lawyer.

I had a brief fling with a guy right after college who is now a pretty well-known comics artist. He's not a household name, but he does have his own Wikipedia page.

Oh, and my mom went to kindergarten with Jeroen Krabbe and his father was her art teacher.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:36 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

My husband sold a huge box of bandannas to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top a couple months ago.

I once held the affection of one of the dudes from Death from Above 1979 before he was in that band. I sent him a message a few years ago at the height of their fame to say congratulations and he suggested a booty call.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

jerusha wrote:
My friend works for Sesame Street Germany. And she had her picture taken with Bert, Ernie and Elmo.

Of all the things in this thread, this is the one I am most jealous of. I would probably die if I met Bert and Ernie, and I don't even care that they're not real.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm 
WELFARIST!

I take yoga classes at Will Arnett's high school!

Perry Como once sent my mother a drink!

My mother once curtsied before the Queen Mother and Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York once looked at me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

paprikapapaya wrote:
NHL player Joe Thornton was my reading buddy in public school.

I am so famous, guyz.

Jealous!

Hmm...most recently, I realized that the new guy on the office (Dwight's younger brother, soon to appear in the spin-off show) was my tap-out partner in theatre school. I think we made out once too.

Oooh! I had the same babysitter as Jason Priestly.

And one of the X-Men films filmed at my university campus just outside my apartment building. They turned the Fine Arts building (where I studied, and we were kicked out for a week) into a dilapidated warehouse, which was surprisingly easy, and a fine herald for the state of arts funding.

My best friend growing up's dad was BFF with Leonard Cohen.

Elvis Costello was at my graduation for undergrad!

Oh yeah, when I was sixteen, I sat beside Raine Maida from Our Lady Peace at a movie and then hung out with him for a bit afterwards. He was a bit of a jerk though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ooh I just remembered another one! One of my mom's friends* was friends with Rivers Cuomo when they were in high school. She said he was really weird.

*I'm not 12, my mom's friend is a good deal younger than she is.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I live in Nashville so you get lots of celebrity sightings. A good high school friend is Amy Grant's niece so i've seen her a lot. People often think I look like her. Weird! My husband helped do Vince Gill's daughter's wedding and he talked to Amy Grant in her bathrobe when he went to give her some keys after the wedding. I've seen Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban at Whole Foods and kd Lang walking in the park near my house. My kids and I have walked past film crews filling for the TV show Nashville in our neighborhood. I've eaten across from Miranda Lambert and the Pistol Annies (country music) in a neighborhood restaurant. My favorite one is meeting Minnie Pearl (from grand ole opry really named Sarah Cannon) when I was nine (1983ish) in a book store. She stopped and talked to me for a while. She was so kind. oh Robert Plant was in my local health food store while I was buying nooch last year!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

seitanicverses wrote:
My mother once curtsied before the Queen Mother and Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York once looked at me!

Oh! The Queen Mother totally (according to my mum) was all over me once when I was a baby. I still don't really believe that one, but my mum did kind of stalk Buckingham Palace when we lived in England.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

I once cooked in the same kitchen with Alton Brown. He asked me for some cling wrap and aluminum foil. I said it wasn't mine but he could have some anyway.

My daughter went to school with the daughter of the lead singer of Superchunk. He went on a couple field trips when I was there. I think I'm said hi to him and number of times.

Before I was born my dad used to do the sound for the Mister Rogers Show.

My wife's best friend from childhood was roommates with Cockroach from the Cosby Show.

Gorzong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

paprikapapaya wrote:
I once held the affection of one of the dudes from Death from Above 1979 before he was in that band. I sent him a message a few years ago at the height of their fame to say congratulations and he suggested a booty call.

Ha! This reminded me that for over a year, I had a sexy instant messaging relationship with with the lead singer of Good Riddance, which was a huge deal to me because I was such a big fan. He sent me a picture of his dick, which I sadly no longer have.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Quote:
dont make me bust out my list of indie rock stars im "friends" (cough cough read as friendly acquaintances) with!!!

do it!

Ok these are my not very famous acquaintances! (I mean best friends!!!)

Ill give a dollah to anyone who knows who they are ;-)

The one I know the best and who knows who I am is Tanya Donelly. She was in Throwing Muses, the Breeders, Belly, and has solo stuff. Belly was pretty famous in the early 90s during the “alt-rock” craze. Anyone remember the song Feed the Tree? One of my good friends who I normally go to shows with in Boston is really good friends with her and is in charge of her website and social media stuff. So I can officially say Tanya knows who I am and I am friendly with her. She gave me a wedding gift because she is one of the nicest people on the face of the planet. I actually verbally invited her to my wedding and she seemed really like she wanted to go but supposedly (more name dropping of people only famous to me!) Blake Hazard and John Dragonetti (aka Jack Drag) were getting married the very same day. I don’t know if she was just being polite and made up an excuse or what. Blake and John both have solo stuff but they are also in a really awesome band called the Submarines. Blake is also one of the nicest people on the face of the planet.

Next up is Kristin Hersh, also of Throwing Muses and then also 50 Foot Wave and solo. I sorta kinda know Kristin. In case you haven’t figured it out Throwing Muses is my favorite band ever so ive been to all their solo and other band shows and then some of the Throwing Muses reunion shows (they seem to like to play in Boston when im out of town). Ive met Kristin a bunch of times and I would say she knows who I am and recognizes me but I probably wouldn’t go any further than that. Her husband/manager always recognizes me and remembers who I am which I think is crazy considering how many people they probably talk to/meet when they are on the road. I am also friend’s with Kristin’s web mistress.

To round out the weird “I know a lot of rock star’s web site managers” category I am also friendly with Juliana Hatfield’s website person. This is starting to sound strange as I type it like I stalk people through their website creators but it’s more a lot of people who like the same music seem to “hang out” in the same circles. I met Juliana once and she pretty much ran away from me. hahaha.

Kay Hanley is another semi acquaintance. She was in Letters to Cleo, another semi-popular 90s alt rock band. They had a “hit” with the song Here & Now. I wouldn’t have included her except I went to her first solo cd release “party” at Newbury Comics and she like recognized me. I was like WAAHHHH??!?!??!?! It’s only because ive seen her play live 800000 times.

To round them all out someone not actually from Boston is my BFF Tammy Ealom from Dressy Bessy. She is crazy and kooky and wacky and I love her and her music and her art. she always remembers us when they come to Boston and sometimes she’ll randomly comment on one of my facebook posts or like wish me happy birfday on my birfday.

Mainly I have a lot of friends who know these people better than I do so im like a friend by acquaintance. HAHAHAHA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next