| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Dubious Claim to Not-Quite-Fame
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

When I moved away from Knoxville, TN, I spent one last, glorious night at the downtown grill and brewery (I remember about a third of that night, unfortunately). Apparently, Quentin Tarantino was downstairs while I was upstairs getting hammered. My friend even got a picture with him, then came upstairs to see me. She never mentioned it.

Also, my grandmother is somehow related to the family that was haunted by the Bell witch. I don't really know that story so well, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

starrynight87 wrote:
I live in the town that has the diner that was used in the movie The Blob.

Really? I thought that was in Downingtown!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I went to the same university as linanil and my dad went to the same HS as IDJI (but like in the 60s), so those claims to fame are duplicates! My mom rode in a elevator with Dustin Hoffman in the 70s. And last year at a PPK meetup I'm pretty sure we were eating a few tables over from Steve Jobs.

And I have a few science claims to not-quite-fame. I met Kary Mullis (Nobel Prize for PCR) and I almost met Francis Crick at the same dinner but he ended up not being able to make it. I also met Bob Grubbs (Nobel Prize for olefin metathesis), who apparently likes to go hiking with my undergrad advisor in the Lake District?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 am 
Grandfathered In

You guys remember, way back in '13 when I started this thread? Something about some Macklemore thread?

Well, tonight I find out that two guys in Mrs. Face's band got call-backs to be in an upcoming Macklemore video.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 am 
Nailed to the V

Ahhh! ^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am 
Dead by dawn

couroupita wrote:
My mom rode in a elevator with Dustin Hoffman in the 70s.

In the 70s, my mom knew Chief Dan George, who was in Little Big Man with Dustin Hoffman (although he was just Dan to her... I mean, I guess I knew him too, but I was like 5.) So, number one, I think that means we are practically related. And two, my dubious claim to not-quite-fame is two degrees of separation from Dustin Hoffman.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh yeah, apparently my grandfather gave William Shatner a ride to Montreal (from either Toronto or Ottawa, I forget) before Star Trek.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Two of my kids were taught by Mark Lanegan's (of Screaming Trees fame) sister. She and I were friends back in the day.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:06 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

a friend just posted shane koyczan's "to this day" video on facebook, and it reminded me that shane braided my hair once while he was staying with a friend of mine when i was in college. *sigh* i miss poets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lilyyw wrote:
James Franco went to my college (not for his undergrad, but for the MFA in writing program). Also Bill Pullman's sons currently go there. . . which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's a really small school (around nine hundred students).

Apparently James Franco's fave place to go when he was there was a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant that is the closest place for me to run to for lunch @ work, and one of my coworker's was there when he was eating there once.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:33 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Also, not me but my grandma was a waitress for Henry Ford back when she was a teenager during the depression, working at some country club in Marquette, Michigan, where all those old-timey industrialists would spend their summers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

lycophyte wrote:
lilyyw wrote:
James Franco went to my college (not for his undergrad, but for the MFA in writing program). Also Bill Pullman's sons currently go there. . . which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it's a really small school (around nine hundred students).

Apparently James Franco's fave place to go when he was there was a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant that is the closest place for me to run to for lunch @ work, and one of my coworker's was there when he was eating there once.

Not Cocula is it? Or Ole's Guacamoles? I'm trying to think of hole-in-the-wall Mexican places close to Warren Wilson and the Parkway. . . anyhow, that's cool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

This is extremely dubious but I've seen the name "Norm Hiscock" over the years as a comedy writer in Canadian and some American sketch shows (Kids in the Hall, SNL and other stuff) and I remember the first time I saw his name, I thought to myself, "I know I'm related to that dude. I can feel it in my blood." The old Hiscock blood in me veins was congealing in some clansman-like recognition at the very sight of someone with my same surname. Anyway, I googled a picture of him recently and he even looks like a younger and huskier version of my friggin' Dad. I'm pretty sure he's my kin. Like a cousin or something like that. My Dad had fourteen brothers and sisters in Newfoundland and I really don't know any of them...so....One of these days, I'll get to the bottom of it. So it's dubious, but this has been on my mind for, like, twenty years, since Kids in the Hall days when I first noticed his name in the writing credits. And he looks like my Dad. Like, similar bone structure in the face and his eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Does this count--I once saw Ben Affleck in a CVS in my neighborhood. (He's real purty.) And, according to Whole Foods employees, I just missed him and Jennifer Garner on several occasions in my local WF.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My sister (julialegume) was an extra on Portlandia, in the coffee shop episode! She's on camera when they're standing in line and the line is dwindling down!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:09 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I guess I'll just keep posting these as I think of them. As a kid I was in workshops taught by Carrie Brownstein, Janet Weiss and Corin Tucker at Rock n Roll Camp for Girls, and I volunteered with Beth Ditto as an adult. Her younger sister was in the band I "managed" at camp.

Last edited by strawberryrock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm 
Mediocre Tart

strawberryrock wrote:
I guess I'll just keep posting these as I think of them. As a kid I was in workshops taught by Carrie Brownstein, Janet Weiss and Corin Tucker at Rock n Roll Camp for Girls, and I volunteered with Beth Ditty as an adult. Her younger sister was in the band I "managed" at camp.

WHUT?!?!
I kinda hate you right now.
WAIT. NO. I love you.
Jeebus.
Swoonage.
AH!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

interrobang?! wrote:
MBM's Carrie Brownstein moment tho...

I want to hear about this!

And since she's not been posting much lately, I'm going to post for VFR. She once met Ben Affleck and got a picture with him. I think the story was that she and her friend saw him and then kind of chased him down for a photo.

Oh! And my friends and I met and got to hang out with The Vegan Zombie and we got him to sign VFR's cast annndddd I have a photo with him annndddd he sung karaoke with us. So did the woman who owns Sugar Mama's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

nicole kidman's new movie (Stoker?) was filmed in the town that i live in. i thought i saw her in a trailer bc i was "walking my dog" nearby, but then i found out she never set foot in town. c'mon kidman! we're only, like, 90mi from nashville!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:39 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Remembered some even more dubious ones. My sister taught Justin Timberlake's half-brother in preschool in Memphis (late 90's?). My husband met the then king of Bhutan (2004 I think) and the four queens (all sisters) when we lived there. He was teaching at the national institute of education. He talked to the queens for a while. One is a huge Elvis fan and she was super excited that he was from Tennessee. She was carrying an Elvis purse that the crown prince (now king) had given her. They were all so friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am related to the famous "Mrs. O'Leary" of the Great Chicago Fire!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:24 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

lilyyw wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

Not Cocula is it? Or Ole's Guacamoles? I'm trying to think of hole-in-the-wall Mexican places close to Warren Wilson and the Parkway. . . anyhow, that's cool.

Cocula it is. I kinda liked Ole Guac better, but they did put some creamy sauce on it (they held the cheese but there was a sauce I didn't know about) and I was like halfway through before I got a big enough bite to notice it :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:39 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

couroupita wrote:
I went to the same university as linanil and my dad went to the same HS as IDJI (but like in the 60s), so those claims to fame are duplicates! My mom rode in a elevator with Dustin Hoffman in the 70s. And last year at a PPK meetup I'm pretty sure we were eating a few tables over from Steve Jobs.

And I have a few science claims to not-quite-fame. I met Kary Mullis (Nobel Prize for PCR) and I almost met Francis Crick at the same dinner but he ended up not being able to make it. I also met Bob Grubbs (Nobel Prize for olefin metathesis), who apparently likes to go hiking with my undergrad advisor in the Lake District?

your dad went to Clairemont? that's crazy! I wonder if Mr. Meyers went there the same time as your dad. I have no idea when he went there, but he was my biology teacher and also had gone to CHS. Go Chieftains!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:53 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

strawberryrock wrote:
I guess I'll just keep posting these as I think of them. As a kid I was in workshops taught by Carrie Brownstein, Janet Weiss and Corin Tucker at Rock n Roll Camp for Girls,

and then i died of jealousy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

Ooh, a high school related one: my dad's high school was the very beautiful school used for the exterior shots in 10 Things I Hate About You. That's Not-Quite-Fame right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next