| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Dubious Claim to Not-Quite-Fame
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Quote:
A girl in Whole Body is dating one of the guys from Wilco. They get wine recommendations and hang out at the wine bar fairly regularly.

Makes me kinda sad considering Tweedy's alcoholism :/

I thought he had gotten clean?
I love that man. We both suffer from panic disorder and I relate to him so much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:03 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

He's clean? Really? I must have missed this. That'd really make me happy (sorry if this sounds weird).

I had sushi with victorian english gentlemen's club.

I told Adam Green he was a good Jimmy Hendrix Impersonator. He didn't get it. I think he was very stoned.

I was in the kid's jury at 11 & the teenage jury at 14 for the Berlin Film Festival and met lots of famous people I didn't know... I missed Gael Garcia Bernal though, my favourite actor (then & now). Typical me. We hung out a lot with

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 am 
Grandfathered In

Sure I've said it before, but Will Shortz once called me ingenious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:47 am 
Dead by dawn

The guy who writes The Oatmeal used to be on my triathlon team. Like, the season before I joined but still. He was interviewed for, I don't know, Spain's version of Men's Health or somesuch, and they ran a pic of him in our kit. My friend B knows him (from the team, I suppose) and he recently drew a cartoon based on an absurd conversation B had with her boyfriend and had it printed on a canvas for her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:

Oh yeah? That's pretty high praise. What for?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:39 am 
Naked Under Apron

I'm a blurry faceless person on Google Street View. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=650+West ... urce=embed (I'm the one in blue shirt and tan shorts.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

solipsistnation wrote:
FootFace wrote:

Spoilers for boring wordnerd junk:
Spoiler: show
It was at Book Fest in Seattle in, like, 1998? Will Shortz was there doing a live Puzzle Master Presents-type thing. People lined up for their turn at the mic. There were two mics, and if your team/mic got beat by the other team/mic, your team added the next person in line. Or something. Anyway, it was me against an increasingly large team.

The challenge: Will Shortz would name a kind of tree, and you had to come up with a word that has that tree inside it, with at least one letter added to the front and at least one letter added to the back.

The first one I remember: PINE. I said, "Spinet!"

The other one: PECAN. My answer: "Cape Canaveral!"

He said, "No, that doesn't wor— Wait, it does! It has to be one word, though. But that was ingenious."

Then after he gave some kind of hint, I got it: Tippecanoe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Long, long ago I helped a friend get on The Real World. The final interview involved following he and I around to see how he was on camera. So somewhere out there is archived footage of my friend and I being total idiots around New York.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
It was at Book Fest in Seattle in, like, 1998? Will Shortz was there doing a live Puzzle Master Presents-type thing. People lined up for their turn at the mic. There were two mics, and if your team/mic got beat by the other team/mic, your team added the next person in line. Or something. Anyway, it was me against an increasingly large team.

The challenge: Will Shortz would name a kind of tree, and you had to come up with a word that has that tree inside it, with at least one letter added to the front and at least one letter added to the back.

He said, "No, that doesn't wor— Wait, it does! It has to be one word, though. But that was ingenious."

That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

FootFace wrote:

Now that's a compliment!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Moon wrote:
My husband used to work on Chantal Kreviazuk's (sp?) car. He said it stank because she always drove around barefoot.

My husband used to drink with her brother back in high-school. (She's from my city.) He said she was a spoiled brat. In 2001 she played a Canada Day festival... she walked into my store (I worked at the gift shop at the Radisson) and asked for "room-temperature water." I didn't have any (it was all in coolers on this, the hottest day of the year) and I wasn't sorry, cuz in 1998 she told-off a friend of mine who was just trying to get Raine Maida's autograph.

I've met/drank with a lot of musicians and independent wrestlers (on accound of my husband).

Oh, and my mom once cooked for Pope John Paul at one of his big visits in (I think) the 70s.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Oh and I've got a friend I met at a vegan meet-up who plays guitar for Comeback Kid and Figure Four.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I once hung out and ate pho with someone who has been called "ingenious" by Will Shortz.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Oh! Jeff Thatcher* told me I have the best shoes ever!

*the guy who sings bass in Rockapella!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I once fixed my coffee at the Au Bon Pain in a building I worked at in NYC and Geraldo was RIGHT NEXT TO ME. He likes blueberry muffins.

I have been tweet replied to by tons of ABC News people (Sam Champion, Ginger Zee, Elizabeth Vargas, Ron Claiborne) and I get replies from various YA Authors I love (Richelle Mead, Maggie Stiefvater, Cassandra Clare, Claudia Gray, Ally Carter, Beth REvis, Amy Tintera, Veronica Rossi, Rachel Caine, Siobhan Vivian, and more).

Also, the guy who wrote the movie Flatliners went to the same school as me, and this kid I knew in elementary and middle school and high school now warms up the crowds at America's Got Talent, American Idol, and more.

I think that's all I have.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:57 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I was one of Chris Colfer's teachers.

Secret fear: He always talks about how high school was so awful. I hope I didn't do anything to make it worse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:13 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I kind of love this thread.

I went to the same college as Matt Lauer?

Ben Folds walked by me in a coffeeshop (in the aforementioned Ohio college town) and I almost didn't notice it was him (all nerdy/hipstery guys kind of look the same when they have those huge glasses on, but he and his crew looked vaguely fancier/older/more conspicuous than the college kids around them who couldn't give a fork). I have no real love of the dude, but he was my only real famous person encounter.

ETA: I thought I saw Ira Glass once on some escalators and almost peed myself. But it wasn't him. See above re: glasses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Jeffrey Lewis drew on my shoes.
Malcolm Middleton was very nice to me when I was clinically depressed and he meant the world to me.
I talked about Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther" with Gustaf of Mando Diao.

Dandelion, Ben Folds is so wonderful live! Mostly because of the way he interacts with the crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I performed on stage with Philip Schofield, when he was in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (and still had dark hair many years ago lol). I was 15 at the time :)
(one for the UK bods heh :D )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

FootFace wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:
FootFace wrote:

ooh, that's awesome! have you listened to the newish NPR quiz show Ask Me Another? They do sort of similar sounding puzzles. It's really fun.
http://www.npr.org/programs/ask-me-another/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Jeffrey Lewis drew on my shoes.
Malcolm Middleton was very nice to me when I was clinically depressed and he meant the world to me.
I talked about Goethe's "The Sorrows of Young Werther" with Gustaf of Mando Diao.

Dandelion, Ben Folds is so wonderful live! Mostly because of the way he interacts with the crowd.

I've heard this! And tried repeatedly to listen to his stuff, but I always get bored instantly... Plus I find his twee cover of a certain Dr. Dre song kind of annoying?

I'm sure he's a good dude, just not my cuppa. Though to get back on point, we've shared cuppas in close proximity! Okay, lattes (americanos?).

I saw Hank Green hugging some girl on a street corner! And I freaked out because it was right when I moved to Missoula but had to explain to my roommate that he's a "minor internet celebrity" and she will forever think I'm a weirdo. Also: I always look for Ze Frank in airports, haven't found him yet...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Alice Cooper and his band once stayed the night at my dad's house (back when my dad still lived with his parents, and before AC was big).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:57 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I met Avril Lavigne. Does that even count?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I totally forgot about this until it came up this weekend, but back in 1996 I ended up at a party with Mike Tyson. This was pre-face tattoo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I stole Fran Healy's (Travis) bottle of coke off the stage and later asked him if he wanted it back. Not surprisingly, he didn't. He was also very nice. But Andy (the guitarist) was a lot nicer, mainly because he was so drunk.

I got a lot of autographs when I was a teenager, but that's pretty boring. I got most of them just by writing to people. I remember Devon Murray (he played Seamus Finnegan in the Harry Potter films) wrote back this 3-page letter to me. That was awesome. But I also got a nice reply from Josh Hartnett and Keira Knightley..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next