| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California Pizza Kitchen - Rant!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:01 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Last night I went out to dinner with a friend. We don't see each other a whole lot. She took time to search the internet for a place that could make vegan food. (She's so sweet) And we landed on The California Pizza Kitchen. It is new to our area and neither of us had been yet.

They have a fact sheet about their vegetarian and vegan options on their website, so I figured they must know what they are doing.
http://cpk.com/menu/pdfs/vegetarian.pdf

Not so much!

Option 1: Tuscan Hummus (substitute thin crust for the pizza-pita bread)
I was told that they don't offer the thin crust for the hummus. I spent 5 minutes arguing with our waitress that I saw this on their website. She did not believe and I said never mind, I'll skip the hummus.
Option 2: Asparagus Soup (no croutons)
It came with croutons!
Option 3: Grilled Vegetable Salad (no Dijon balsamic) Substitute Fat-Free Balsamic
I took 3 bites and realized it had Dijon on it.

Realizing that I was out to spend time with my friend and that it really wasn't worth it to raise hell. I wound up putting my food fury aside, paid the bill, and left. I am thinking about emailing the company though. I spent 35 dollars on food that I didn't eat! I've never been a waitress/server but if your customer is clearly not eating what they ordered, wouldn't you ask them if something was wrong with their food?

Post subject: Re: California Pizza Kitchen - Rant!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

that is such a bummer! but...you really should have returned your food! it really isn't your waitresses responsibility to find out why you didn't eat. You can return your food without coming off as a weirdo picky eater. Your friend made an effort to find a vegan place so she probably wouldn't have minded if you had just let the waitress know that your food wasn't right.

you should definitely email the restaurant about the hummus thing because you should be able to get what you want on a pizza especially if it says so on the website, but the rest of the problems were kitchen mistakes that could have been fixed.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Under normal circumstances I would have returned it. But my friend has been having some personal issues and we were really out to talk it up and I was trying to be there for her. So I just didn't feel like being bothered with it. I didn't want to make it all about me being vegan while I was trying to console her.

But, yes I agree that if a restaurant offers vegan items or says that they cater to special dietary needs then we should hold them to it.

I was pissed that the server was not in line with what the company offers. And she was not willing to ask anyone if it could be done. I guess that can be due to lack of training and not entirely her fault. The hummus was an appetizer that would normally come with some type of flat bred. Traditional or honey-wheat. I really wanted to whip out my phone and show her the site.

I just sent an email and you didn't sound like a jerk at all! Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 am 
WRETCHED

Oh I'm so sorry :( I actually had a pretty decent experience at CPK although I didn't try to order the hummus.

Also, generally I order dressing on the side, no matter where I'm at. So when I had a salad there, it was dry/no salad dressing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Aww, that sucks! I had a pretty bad experience at CPK, too. I ended up getting pizza crust with a drizzle of pesto (supposedly vegan) and a few mushrooms. It was so not worth it.

ETA: You shouldn't have paid for that crepe if you didn't eat it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was there with work for lunch a few weeks ago. Not very vegan friendly (though that online link is awesome) and WAY overpriced for me, but that asparagus soup was awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

ijustdiedinside wrote:
that is such a bummer! but...you really should have returned your food!
you should definitely email the restaurant about the hummus thing because you should be able to get what you want on a pizza especially if it says so on the website, but the rest of the problems were kitchen mistakes that could have been fixed.

Good advice!

I'm really surprised that you had such a bad time (and sorry, too!)- I like CPK for what it's worth (limited options, a little pricy- but I know that going in, so I'm not complaining).
I love the salad and like that I can get something other than a sad iceberg lettuce salad when I go out. I don't even need the dressing really (though I get the balsamic on the side and just drizzle a bit on).

I'm pretty sure that they will accommodate you in some way and hope that you go back and try them out again. I'm also sorry that your friend is having a rough time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks Meggs. It wasn't the worst restaurant experience I've ever had. I think I was just disappointed because I saw the pdf on their site. So I figured they would be understanding and try a little harder then most places.

This is the response I got from them today:

Thank you for contacting California Pizza Kitchen.

We are sorry to learn that our Cherry Hill Mall, Nj restaurant did not meet your expectations.

We strive to provide our guests with excellent service, great food and welcoming hospitality during each and every visit and we appreciate you taking your time to share your feedback regarding your recent experience.

Your concerns will be shared with the Restaurant Management Team to ensure these issues are addressed.

We hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

That's kind of annoying. I'm surprised they didn't offer you a gift certificate or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

You hope wrong, Pizza Kitchen!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yup, no gift certificate or anything. Just a standard response. It's all good, I just won't ever go again. And really that's fine by me. There are a million chain restaurants in my area, so I'm not missing out.