| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stupid questions regarding Easter/Christianity
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:28 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

can anyone who understands Christianity better than me explain the progression of Easter and Lent type days to me.
i was baptized Catholic but was not raised religiously and it's not something i believe in but occasionally my husband who was raised Jewish will ask me a question and im like "i have NO idea" it's just things i never thought about but now i want to know the answers.

i asked my mom a couple of our questions. she went to Catholic school and was raised Catholic and she never gave us what we thought was an adequate answer!

someone please explain the progression of days to me! im just confused.

what is Ash Wednesday exactly?

apparently Jesus was crucified on Good Friday? my cousin who never posts anything on facebook chose Good Friday to post on facebook to remind us all Jesus died for us on that day. so why is it called "GOOD" Friday?

so then Jesus was resurrected on Easter? here's me and my husband's big question:
where did he go?!?!?!? i dont get it. maybe we think too concretely and not spirtually enough but like if he was resurrected where did he go after?

and then my husband's other recent question was about Christmas. he thought Jesus and Santa Claus was the same person :-P i explained to him one had nothing to do with the other but i guess now he wonders why Santa Claus is going around doling out gifts on Jesus' birthday.

again im honestly just trying to understand.....

Post subject: Re: stupid questions regarding Easter/Christianity
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:

what is Ash Wednesday exactly?

The first day of Lent! Lent commemorates when Jesus spent 40 days in the desert and was tempted by Satan. And we commemorate that by putting ash on our face and giving up something.

Quote:
apparently Jesus was crucified on Good Friday? my cousin who never posts anything on facebook chose Good Friday to post on facebook to remind us all Jesus died for us on that day. so why is it called "GOOD" Friday?

Actually not sure! In other languages its often referred to as Holy Friday. It was always explained to me though that its "good" because Jesus died for our sins and that was a good thing.
Quote:
so then Jesus was resurrected on Easter? here's me and my husband's big question:
where did he go?!?!?!? i dont get it. maybe we think too concretely and not spirtually enough but like if he was resurrected where did he go after?

According to church tradition, he ascended up into heaven.

Quote:
and then my husband's other recent question was about Christmas. he thought Jesus and Santa Claus was the same person :-P i explained to him one had nothing to do with the other but i guess now he wonders why Santa Claus is going around doling out gifts on Jesus' birthday.

Santa Claus is more of a folklore character than a Christian character, that evolved over a long period of time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my husband was brought up buddhist but for a year or two was catholic and the questions he asks sometimes are along this line.

so ash wednesday is the beginning of Lent, 40 days of mourning/fasting before easter that represent the 40 days jesus spent in the desert.
then you get holy week, and i am a bit iffy on what happened on saturday so i am copping out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week

as for good friday, for a long time i shared the confusion. i guess if you believe in salvation through christ's death in an inevitable sort of way then you celebrate him dying-- gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, so to speak. Honestly i think that good friday services are usual not happy and usually very sad. Easter is the celebration, because the happy thing is that he came back to life [in a sense, you know what i mean and i am already a heretic] not that he died, so it's a bit odd to say Happy Good Friday.

Also, this is only anecdotal, but i've heard tell of a place in japan where there was an easter display with a crucified santa claus.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:48 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I asked my husband about this earlier because I was not brought up at all religiously & I realised I had no idea what Easter's even about!

He said that according to the story Jesus died on Good Friday (on the cross right?) and is believed to have been resurrected on Easter Sunday. Apparently he was only seen "resurrected" by two or three of his closest disciples so what probably happened was that the disciples removed him from the tomb, hid his body and told people he'd been resurrected.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:

HAHAHAHA I thought that too!!! I was also raised Jewish, and I think when I asked about Jesus as a child I was told that he was just a normal person who used to be alive, but after he died Christians made up a lot of "pretend stories" about him, which was the same thing they told me when I asked about Santa Claus. (I wouldn't say it that way to a Christian myself, but that's just what my parents taught me!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok i think im getting it now.

Ash Wednesday starts Lents.

Good Friday is "Good" because Christ died for our sins and humanity was washed of its sins. so not good he was killed, good we were sin free for a bit.

Easter he was resurrected and ascended to Heaven.

guess my next question would be why didnt he go to Heaven after he died like supposedly Christians do if they were good. why did he come back and go or something but again thinking concretely/scientifically and not spiritually.

and Santa Claus has as much to do wtih Jesus' birthday as the Easter bunny has to do with Jesus being resurrected.

thanks for the explanations!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

He did go to Heaven after the resurrection.

From the Lard's prayer - "On the third day He arose from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty."

(And no I did not type lard there, it's the filter.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

according to legend he descended into hell. the gospel references state nothing about what happened except for that pilate posted guards for three days because of the prophecy that Jesus would rise again and was afraid that the disciples would steal the body and claim he had risen.

whilst in hell depending on what you read he may have been spreading the good news to those in purgatory, or alternatively to the "bosom of Abraham" which some interpret as giving the Jews who had died before his coming a chance to get in on salvation. apparently only the son of god was able to do this and that was why he was delayed on his way to heaven.

in any case, after that he ascended into heaven [while appearing to the disciples here and there] on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:23 pm 
Mediocre Tart

LisaPunk wrote:
and Santa Claus has as much to do wtih Jesus' birthday as the Easter bunny has to do with Jesus being resurrected.

Well, yes and no. Jesus was hiding out eating chocolate with the Easter Bunny in a cave all that time. To celebrate that awesome illicit snuggle-fest we have an extra special bank holiday weekend. Where we eat chocolate eggs. Or if you're me with my parents you get given a 30p bar of chocolate because it's cheaper than an egg of capitalistic fervour and anyway they were no fun. But the bunny had no hand in the resurrection because bunnies do not have magical powers. Unless they are Anya all dressed up for Hallowe'en.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

It's fun reading this thread as I grappled with these same questions back in my Sunday school days and when it came to Good Friday, no one had a satisfactory answer, meaning--the answer I heard was similar to yours in that "good" being Jesus died for our sins and we should celebrate but I could never get past the violence of his terrible death and how awful that was. I always considered the facts of his death very viscerally and gave a hoot about the spiritually because, for me, such deliberate brutality eclipses all else. If this is spirituality, I want no part of it, thanks was the conclusion of my seven-year-old mind. And I haven't really thought about it in any serious way since.

And I also had a ton of practical questions back then about how Jesus could be resurrected because once he's dead, he's dead and then it suddenly seemed possible that anyone could be resurrected and what made Jesus so special (besides him being the son of God, but how can the son of God look like the rest of us?) because the bottom line is, Jesus seemed so everyday, I mean, he looked like every hippie I knew (try growing up in the hippie era and buying the visual concept of Jesus) so I never could believe he was divine. He resembled the barefoot stoner wearing a psychedelic shirt and bandana and blaring the Grateful Dead from his gaping garage hole for all hours down the street.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

interrobang?! wrote:
Or if you're me with my parents you get given a 30p bar of chocolate because it's cheaper than an egg of capitalistic fervour

holy crepe that is me. [i am a twinge more generous, but not by much. fork the capitalist eggs!!!]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

seitanicverses wrote:
And I also had a ton of practical questions back then about how Jesus could be resurrected because once he's dead, he's dead and then it suddenly seemed possible that anyone could be resurrected and what made Jesus so special ......

again, are you sure you're not me??? and let me guess, these questions never went over well with the grownups.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

torque wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Or if you're me with my parents you get given a 30p bar of chocolate because it's cheaper than an egg of capitalistic fervour

holy crepe that is me. [i am a twinge more generous, but not by much. fork the capitalist eggs!!!]

"There is more chocolate in a wee bar than there is in a forking egg! damn eggs!" (paraphrasing... slightly.)

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

torque wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
And I also had a ton of practical questions back then about how Jesus could be resurrected because once he's dead, he's dead and then it suddenly seemed possible that anyone could be resurrected and what made Jesus so special ......

again, are you sure you're not me??? and let me guess, these questions never went over well with the grownups.....

I was always sternly shut up with a non-explanation that suggested it was all mysterious and any understanding was beyond my infantile mind and besides, most cheeky child, how dare I ask, how dare I question the law of God? since it is universal and eternal and greater than me, a mere mortal and yaddayadda.

*edited to include quote I was addressing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

seitanicverses wrote:

And I also had a ton of practical questions back then about how Jesus could be resurrected because once he's dead, he's dead and then it suddenly seemed possible that anyone could be resurrected and what made Jesus so special (besides him being the son of God, but how can the son of God look like the rest of us?) because the bottom line is, Jesus seemed so everyday, I mean, he looked like every hippie I knew (try growing up in the hippie era and buying the visual concept of Jesus) so I never could believe he was divine. He resembled the barefoot stoner wearing a psychedelic shirt and bandana and blaring the Grateful Dead from his gaping garage hole for all hours down the street.

i think this is one of the biggest things that fractures the church. at least that's what my outside view in is. some people believe that Jesus was an everyday dude and loved every one and was not above others. and that was his message. and then there are a lot of people that are very holier-than-thou in their interpretations.

i see it in my own family.

it makes me ill. i very much dislike "religion" as an institution. but i know many people who are "spiritual" and i get their vibe. it's important to them but they know that it doesnt have to apply to everyone.
not sure if i explained that right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

interrobang?! wrote:
torque wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:

"There is more chocolate in a wee bar than there is in a forking egg! damn eggs!" (paraphrasing... slightly.)

overheard somewhere in Brazil last week:

"look at the big ball of Alpino, mom!"
"hm, $38 for 350g. each 150g bar is $3. are people complete and total idiots?"
"mom you're embarrassing me, can we go home"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

LisaPunk wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

And I also had a ton of practical questions back then about how Jesus could be resurrected because once he's dead, he's dead and then it suddenly seemed possible that anyone could be resurrected and what made Jesus so special (besides him being the son of God, but how can the son of God look like the rest of us?)

i think this is one of the biggest things that fractures the church. at least that's what my outside view in is. some people believe that Jesus was an everyday dude and loved every one and was not above others. and that was his message. and then there are a lot of people that are very holier-than-thou in their interpretations.

religion got very boring to me when all i could see was hypocrisy.

then got interesting again when i started talking to people who said "i don't know" or "does it matter" or "why are we debating about the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin when there are hungry people in this city?". note you don't hear too much of this, especially that last one there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

it makes me ill. i very much dislike "religion" as an institution. but i know many people who are "spiritual" and i get their vibe. it's important to them but they know that it doesnt have to apply to everyone.

Well, Christians don't actually believe that Jesus was an everyday dude. That's the part that makes them Christians instead of, say, Jews or Muslims.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

karichelle wrote:
He did go to Heaven after the resurrection.

From the Lard's prayer - "On the third day He arose from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty."

(And no I did not type lard there, it's the filter.)

[pedant]

That's actually from the Apostle's Creed not the Lard's Prayer/Our Father. Some churches include "He descended into Hell." right before the lines you quoted and some don't.

[/pedant]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Vantine wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:

Well, Christians don't actually believe that Jesus was an everyday dude. That's the part that makes them Christians instead of, say, Jews or Muslims.

no i understand Jesus is Holy to Christians. maybe regular dude was a bad phrase. but some people seem to take the teachings of "Jesus loves ALL" more than others who think Jesus loves certain Christians only!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Here the churches owned all the schools and most had religious classes when I was a kid (and AFAIK not all religious stuff is phased out), so most people I grew up with learned about Bible stories and church history. I converted to Buddhism a number of years ago and few of my friends are observant Christians, but still when I talk to people and I'm like "oh, do you know that Bible story where..." and they don't know, I have this moment where I can't even compute how that happens XD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

In the Church of Sweden, we have a separate holiday for Jesus' ascension to heaven. It's on the 9th of May this year, I'm sure it's a certain number of days after Easter every year. In the time between I think he's supposed to have hung around and occasionally shown himself to the disciples.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LisaPunk wrote:
"Good" was a synonym of "holy" in Middle English, according to etymonline.com and the Oxford English Dictionary. Ash Wednesday used to be called Good Wednesday. I suspect that the exclamations "good Lard", and "good heavens!" might have this origin as well.

... which is much less interesting than the folk etymology, but there we are.

Incidentally, my partner didn't know which day "Easter Egg Day" was, and I expect I'll have to remind him next year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:

Easter he was resurrected and ascended to Heaven.

He doesn't go to heaven right away, though. The ascension of Jesus to Heaven happens 40 days after Easter - so, since Easter is on a Sunday, Ascension is always on a Thursday. That's awesome in countries where it's a public holiday, because it means you get a 4 day weekend in May and can hope to have good weather!

I'm not too sure what Jesus did between his resurrection on Easter and his Ascension, though. I know he goes out to see St. Thomas the skeptic and has him put his finger through his stigmata.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 am 
Grandfathered In

Wait a sec. He was resurrected after 3 days?

From Friday to Sunday is 2 days.

Edited: oh! ON the third day, not AFTER three days. Okay, religion now makes sense to me.