| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me write an email (long and ranty)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have another predicament for which I require the help of calmer voices of the PPK. Here's the situation - we're going to a nice-ish restaurant for my work Xmas do. It's about £28 per person not including drinks. I've been trying to work out an option for myself, and this is what they came back with:

Starter: Cauliflower Soup or an Avocado and Rocket Salad with raspberry vinaigrette
Mains: Wild Mushroom Risotto or Red lentil, cauliflower and coconut dhal
Desert: Fruit Plate

Now, the soup and risotto are fine, but I think you all know what my problem is. I'll be damned if we're gonna pay £28 (we're a goddamn charity, and I have to pay £10 of it anyway) to be served a forking fruit plate for my dessert. Not only that, but I sent them three recipes for vegan desserts, and their professional chef came up with a fruit plate when everyone else gets toffee ripple cheesecake with caramelised bananas or chocolate fudge pudding with mascarpone. And I don't even like fruit! If I get served a fruit plate, I won't be eating it.

Can anyone think of a way for me to put these thoughts into an email that will result in me getting something other than a fruit plate instead of us getting our reservation cancelled?

Post subject: Re: Help me write an email (long and ranty)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Something that strokes their egos first is probably a good idea. "I'm thrilled to try the soup and risotto, they sound wonderful. As a vegan, it is difficult to find chefs who know how to prepare a satisfying meal without animal products, so I appreciate the effort. I noticed your establishment creates some lovely desserts. Is it possible to have something similar to what is going to be served to the other guests at the event, but made with vegan substitutes? Earth balance, soymilk/ricemilk, agar agar, egg replacement, ect...are perfectly fine with me. Thank you for considering..."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Can you suggest some desserts that can be made with smaller servings? I bet they don't want to make an entire cake or pie or whatever for one person. Vegan chocolate pudding should be pretty easy and not require a bunch of new ingredients.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Good suggestions. I did send them cupcake recipes (not like they couldn't sell them as a special, but whatever), but smaller things are probably better. We sent a recipe for these apple/almond parcel things for Mike's dad's wedding, and they were really nice. The recipe was meant to use leftover pie crust or something. I'm sure they could do that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just re-read and noticed that you already sent them some recipes. Which leads me to believe they don't want to put the effort into it...or that somehow the chef was offended anyone tried to suggest something.

Maybe you even need to point out how a vegan dessert is suitable for people with dairy allergies. Also, you might even need to allude to how the fruit plate is unsuitable to get the point across.

"Although fruit is vegan, I was rather hoping for something on par with what the rest of the guests are being served for desert. Could you put some ingredients aside from what you are serving the others and substitute with vegan butter/milk, ect."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, £28 for salad, lentils, and a fruit plate is ridiculous, but to be honest, I'd be too afraid of eating spit soup instead that I wouldn't make much of a fuss.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:52 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I don't go to my work xmas meal anymore. I went in the past and just didn't have a desert (which is crepe as I was paying the same as everyone else); I couldn't imagine asking a restaurant to make me something special during an xmas set meal. I'm a bit meek though, I guess! Sucks especially for me as I have to stay in work while the rest of them get two hours off.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, I'm the one setting everything up, and since I'm putting the most work into this thing, I'm trying to make sure I enjoy it. And I won't if I sit there watching everyone else eat chocolate cake while I'm not eating some shitty fruit plate. Also, this whole thing will be going on from about 2.30 until 11 PM-ish, so I need some real damn food.

I'm definitely going for the soup since I'm allergic to avocado. And seriously, if they can make me a vegan risotto, they can make me an individual cake or something. They can make me a mug cake - I won't know the difference (especially if they take it out of the mug).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm 
Mediocre Tart

ha! yes! get them to make you a mug cake!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Personally I wouldn't push the issue too much because I would worry that they will make you a non-vegan fancy dessert because how will you ever know? But I am also paranoid like that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:00 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I probably have a different perspective on this having worked as a chef... making an entire dessert for a special diet for 1 person would probably not be something I could have done easily, especially if I was already making other courses to accommodate the person.

..... but having said that, I probably would have tried to figure out a way to make the entire dessert vegan or whatever the person wanted so everyone could enjoy it.

Since I am vegan ( and mostly gluten free ) I totally get how hard it is to eat out and how few options are available.

Also, having worked with other chefs, I would not push it. There is nothing like the ( often times male ) ego of a chef who wants to punish a vegan by sneaking bacon fat into their meals. Trust me on that one. I was HORRIFIED by the attitudes of others towards vegans and vegetarians.. Sad but true!