| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which is more gross?
Dirty Socks 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
Dirty Underwear 86%  86%  [ 74 ]
Total votes : 86
 Post subject: Dirty underwear, or socks?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:48 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Which is worse? Dirty meanin your average wear for a day kind of dirty, not 'soiled'.

My roommate recently said she had been wearing dirty socks for for days because she needs to do laundry but 'a least she has clean underwear'.

I contemplated this and decided the idea of wearing dirty socks is far more disturbing to me. If I could have my way I'd change my socks twice a day. Underwear I wouldn't really care if I had to wear a day-old pair or even just go commando.

Post subject: Re: Dirty underwear, or socks?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:01 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've been known to wear socks more than once if laundry day has come and gone. I NEVER wear underwear twice.

To me, dirty underwear is grosser because, you know, secretions. Plus, my feet don't really sweat much, so maybe that sways my decision.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 am 
Inflexitarian

Underwear is definitely grosser. I never really find my socks stinky, and I have been known to wear them more than once if I've neglected my washing. Like lepelaar said.... secretions. Would never wear underwear two days in a row. However, if I had to choose between going without socks and going without underwear, I'd lose the knickers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Underwear is so much grosser! Things come out of your bits and bobs! I will wear socks two days in a row, never more, but they gross me out far less.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Underwear is wayyyyyy worse. Between hot sweaty crotch, swamp asparagus, and secretions, that shiitake is nasty. My feet, on the other hand, are not often that sweaty. If it's hot enough out to cause sweaty feet, I'm most likely wearing (sockless) flip flops or Tevas anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Plus your socks are usually further away from other people's noses than your underwear so if there are any odour issues you're more likely to get away with it! (And I think people cope better with / forgive smelly feet as sometimes that just happens to us all even when we start the day with fresh socks and clean feet!)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

i wear socks several times if they are fine the next day, especially if they re "grannie socks".. and I dont really sweat much.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm not the cleanest person in the world but I think both are pretty gross. Dirty underwear is just eww, and dirty socks, well... Once my luggage was lost and I had to wear socks two days in a row to my new job and it poured rain so I was sitting at a desk all day with dirty/soaked socks and I got Athlete's Foot. That was nasty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

y'all nasty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Dirty underwear is definitely more gross, for all the reasons people have mentioned. I will wear socks two days if I absolutely have to, but knickers? No way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 am 
Married to the wolfman

I had a friend in college who couldn't believe that I didn't rewear my socks. She believed they were one of the only garments that it's okay to wear twice before washing. My feelings are quite the opposite!

Underwear's worse, though. Lepalaar nailed it with the secretions.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:51 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Dirty socks. I didn't even need to think about this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:21 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i recognize that underwear is probably actually dirtier, but my socks feel dirty after about half a day, and it really bothers me. i'll sleep in the underwear i put on that day, but if i want to wear socks to bed i'll put on a clean pair. i'd go without socks before i'd wear dirty socks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:39 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I feel like some people's feet get dirtier than others. My boyfriends dirty socks are positively disgusting - dirty looking and smelling and feeling. With mine I can't normally tell if they're dirty or clean unless they're in the dirty clothes hamper. My feet don't sweat easily because every other part of my body does. So he can get away with rewearing boxers and I can get away with rewearing socks*

*neither one of us can get away with rewearing anything, but we go rogue and do it anyway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mars wrote:
Which is worse? Dirty meanin your average wear for a day kind of dirty, not 'soiled'.

If it's just worn and it's not soiled, I don't see what the problem is! I wouldn't even call that dirty honestly. Dirty is when I need to wash it, which to me means detectable odor or visible stains.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:05 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yeah, i think the answers to this poll would likely skew along lines of concave vs. convex genitalia. (especially since it's easier for us with concave genitalia to get UTIs than those with convex.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:12 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I have concave genitalia and I am firmly in the dirty underwear before dirty socks camp. I don't reuse either and I don't have nasty/smelly feet but just ... eugh. Socks are gross. I walk around in my socks all the time, I sometimes walk around in my garden with my socks, or barefeet that then get put into socks.

My logic is that if I had a boyfriend right now I would be much less upset about dirty underwear being thrown at me than dirty socks. I don't know what this says about me or my relationships.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

supercarrot wrote:
yeah, i think the answers to this poll would likely skew along lines of concave vs. convex genitalia. (especially since it's easier for us with concave genitalia to get UTIs than those with convex.)

Elegantly put, Supercarrot.

Dirty underwear is way grosser. Reading this thread actually makes me realize I go through 3 pair a day on most days. Fresh pair in the AM to work out, fresh pair when I get dressed, fresh pair when I get home from work. Is that going too far? Whatever. I like clean undies and I live in the desert so there's sweat.

That said, I wouldn't re-wear socks either. I'd go sockless first. I have tile floors and 2 dogs so that even when the floors are clean, socks seem to get dirty fast. If I was a guy I think I'd vote dirty socks are grosser.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Hmmm... I never wear socks around the house (except for house socks which are kind of like slippers). I only put them on when I'm about to leave the house, and shoes go right over them. The minute I get home, shoes and socks come off. I wonder if that's what makes the difference?

Or, maybe some of you just have gross feet and the rest of us have gross crotches.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lepelaar wrote:

Or, maybe some of you just have gross feet and the rest of us have gross crotches.

yeah. this has to be it! it's unimaginable for me to think of wearing underwear a second time, but i wear socks multiple times before washing. In the winter I usually just leave my socks on all night and then keep them on when i'm getting dressed the next day. I would feel so dirty if I did that with underwear. My feet don't sweat, but everything else does, especially at night.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:25 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

undies, definitely. i don't enjoy wearing dirty socks, but generally do for a day or two in laundry-limbo. dirty undies though? ack!

(in full disclosure, a couple times in my life i have worn dirty undies inside-out when i absolutely couldn't do laundry. but i hated every second of it.)

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:41 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Ugh wearing the same pair of socks too long just makes my whole body feel gross. Sweaty feets! And even after they've dried out in the laundry hamper they just dont feel right. Loose all thier fluff and bounce. But I so rarely get swamp-ass so I think the rule of 'some people have gross feet and some have gross crotches' is true. Heh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i wonder if it's also partly due to people wearing their socks around the house without any sort of protection? (i always have either my shoes on or my house shoes, so they never get a chance to get "dirt" on them.) i started doing this when i would get dog hairs stuck in my soles. damn that hurts! (husband hairs too. maybe i should vacuum more often?)

also, i'm pretty much always cold, so my feet rarely have a chance to sweat. (i also don't wear generic white terry cloth socks. mine are all flat weave colorful socks, so i guess they're less absorbant?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 am 
Chip Strong

Underwear for sure. Nobody wants old crusty vaginal fluid rubbing up on your bits.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 am 
Dead by dawn

Dirty underwear is grosser, but once either socks or pantaloons have come off, they don't go back on. Except if I've spent the night at biker boy's and I have to put 'em back on long enough to get home.