| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 19 Signs You've Been Vegan Too Long
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

couroupita wrote:
Fee wrote:
This is just a little taste of what it's like living with my level of social anxiety. That I'm able to actually order food at all sometimes feels like a miracle.

Oh man, I relate to this so much. I know it's not a big deal but it's so hard for me to even ask for them to switch out the red sauce for green sauce, and leave off the cheese. I have to rehearse the request in my head multiple times while I'm waiting in line because I'm so stressed out. Asking for potatoes and guac will probably make me stroke out. Le sigh.

I thought I was a freak for rehearsing my order over and over again in my head! I get sweaty palms and have to psych myself up. It's ridiculous. Not just at Taco Bell, whenever I want to make a "complicated" order with subs.

I suppose at least I'm not alone!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Sometimes I order a different drink than what I really want at Starbucks because I'm afraid that if I have too many adjectives they'll just screw it up.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm 
Dead by dawn

Adam Crisis wrote:
Being an ex Taco Bell drive through worker person I can say as long as youre not being a cocksword, I didnt care what the orders and substitutions were...youd be amazed at how many people didnt want onions on their bean burritos...which always was funny because the onions are cut almost molecule thin and have barely any taste on their own

For some of us, chewing raw onion is a nails-on-chalkboard kind of experience. *shudder*

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Adam Crisis wrote:
Being an ex Taco Bell drive through worker person I can say as long as youre not being a cocksword, I didnt care what the orders and substitutions were...

As another former Taco Bell employee who got stuck at the register far more than she wanted, adding and subbing ingredients is SUPER easy and never bothered me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

annak wrote:
Sometimes I order a different drink than what I really want at Starbucks because I'm afraid that if I have too many adjectives they'll just screw it up.

And now, after reading that snarky Starbucks blog, I worry that they will decaf me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I also get super anxious about ordering food in general! Even if I'm not requesting a million subs. I was raised to think I'm a colossal pain in the butt for wanting anything switched around, though. When I was little my dad wouldn't let me order burgers without cheese from McDonalds.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

LisaPunk wrote:
you guys that eat raw plain tofu straight out of the package are too vegan for me!!
is this the future of my veganess?!?!?!

Hahahaha actually I did that even before I went veg! Tofu and I have been BFFs for a looooooooong time.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

GraciaKai wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
On the east coast we have Twin Oaks tofu which also defies the need to press.

YES, this is the best tofu ever. I can't believe I went all those years with wet soft tofu.

I've actually seen their factory in person, so it makes me all the more excited to eat their tofu! I used to have a friend who lived at Twin Oaks so I got to visit and got a grand tour of the factory and everything :D

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Well now THERE'S a good alternative field trip for when it's petting zoo day at preschool.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

kilgore trout wrote:
I also get super anxious about ordering food in general! Even if I'm not requesting a million subs. I was raised to think I'm a colossal pain in the butt for wanting anything switched around, though. When I was little my dad wouldn't let me order burgers without cheese from McDonalds.

you mean hamburgers? what was up with your dad?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 pm 
Nooch of Earl

My sister went through a phase where all she would eat was a plain burger on a bun (no catsup/pickles/etc) and they would NOT make that for her at McDo. It just couldn't be done, apparently. Thus the whole Burger King have it your way thing, I guess, but it still boggles my mind that they couldn't put a damned burger on a bun.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I wouldn't eat meat as a kid, so my parents would always order a plain bun with cheese for me at McDonald's. They almost NEVER got it right. It almost always ended up being a cheeseburger, which would then have to be sent back.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 am 

annak wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
im sorry, i love tofu but #1 is just gross!

#2 speaks to me on a very deep level

Yeah, the only people I know who eat plain tofu out of the container (it isn't actually "raw," so..) are omnis who want to prove to themselves that vegetarianism is gross. I may or may not eat sticks of baked tofu out of the fridge, though. I'm not on trial here.

Nope. My partner and I both eat plain tofu as a snack. He has the decency to take off a slice. I just bite into the block. Sometimes, I squeeze a little mustard on it.

I mean, I know you were trying to un-know these things...but the plain-tofu world is not so scary a place. really.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

When I'm dicing tofu for a stir fry or baking I will sometimes eat a cube, and then immediately grimace, but usually I'm doing that because I'm so damn hungry that I don't care anymore. I'm not proud.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:00 am 
Dead by dawn

annak wrote:
My sister went through a phase where all she would eat was a plain burger on a bun (no catsup/pickles/etc) and they would NOT make that for her at McDo. It just couldn't be done, apparently. Thus the whole Burger King have it your way thing, I guess, but it still boggles my mind that they couldn't put a damned burger on a bun.

I was a total noncondimentarian until I was 12 or 13 and I used to get plain hamburgers at McDonald's any time we went there. I had to wait because they had the prepped ones stacked up under the heat lamp and had to make mine special, but I always got it. Until they invented chicken mcnuggets and I never ate a fast food burger ever again.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 am 
Smuggling Raisins

kilgore trout wrote:

Odd coincidence!! On a sort of related note, my grandparents would always take us to McDonalds when my brother and I were little. They never let me have the chicken nuggets and refused to let me order a hamburger plain, even though I despised ketchup, mustard, onions and pickles :/ I've never quite understood that one.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 am 
Inflexitarian

annak wrote:

Aaaahhh. I usually go for simple things... Coffee frap with soy! No whip! But then I noticed even when I forgot to say no whip, they didn't put whip on, so I figured they were smart enough to know I didn't want whip if I wasn't getting dairy, or maybe the coffee fraps just don't get whip. Or maybe whip was an extra you had to ask for, I dunno how the system works. But then I had a frap appear with whip, and I was like "Whoa! I didn't want whip!" and she just took it off with a spoon, and I felt bad so I drank it even though her spoon removal efforts were kinda lackluster. Then I got food poisoning symptoms later in the day and was bedridden for a couple of days. I don't know if the two events are related or not.

Anyway, the point is I no longer go to Starbucks because it scares me.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

choirqueer wrote:
LisaPunk wrote:
you guys that eat raw plain tofu straight out of the package are too vegan for me!!
is this the future of my veganess?!?!?!

Hahahaha actually I did that even before I went veg! Tofu and I have been BFFs for a looooooooong time.

Same here, I've been eating plain cold tofu since I was 3 and I didn't go veg till my teens. I like to eat the shelf stable Trader Joe's tofu out of the carton with a spoon. It's like custard (not the filter.)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

kilgore trout wrote:

I don't understand this. They have burgers without cheese on the menu. You just order a hamburger instead of a cheeseburger. Did your dad own stock in cheese?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:19 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
It's like custard (not the filter.)

HA!

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I like to eat the shelf stable Trader Joe's tofu out of the carton with a spoon. It's like custard (not the filter.)

Now I kinda want to try this.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

DarthCupcake wrote:
I like to eat the shelf stable Trader Joe's tofu out of the carton with a spoon. It's like custard (not the filter.)

Now I kinda want to try this.

Me too! I love custard!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Tea wrote:
annak wrote:

Aaaahhh. I usually go for simple things... Coffee frap with soy! No whip! But then I noticed even when I forgot to say no whip, they didn't put whip on, so I figured they were smart enough to know I didn't want whip if I wasn't getting dairy, or maybe the coffee fraps just don't get whip. Or maybe whip was an extra you had to ask for, I dunno how the system works. But then I had a frap appear with whip, and I was like "Whoa! I didn't want whip!" and she just took it off with a spoon, and I felt bad so I drank it even though her spoon removal efforts were kinda lackluster. Then I got food poisoning symptoms later in the day and was bedridden for a couple of days. I don't know if the two events are related or not.

Anyway, the point is I no longer go to Starbucks because it scares me.

They're not smart enough to know that. The real answer, of course, is that they should have yummy nondairy whip for us.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:45 pm 

I admit that I don't go through the drive thru at Starbucks because I have to SEE the box of soymilk involved in making my coffee.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:06 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

erynne936 wrote:
I admit that I don't go through the drive thru at Starbucks because I have to SEE the box of soymilk involved in making my coffee.

Me too- I'm always afraid that my order isn't being taken correctly or that the employees are only half listening to what I say, so I have to watch them make my order like a hawk, even though nothing has ever been screwed up to my knowledge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next