| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 19 Signs You've Been Vegan Too Long
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

TexTroosers wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
I admit that I don't go through the drive thru at Starbucks because I have to SEE the box of soymilk involved in making my coffee.

Me too- I'm always afraid that my order isn't being taken correctly or that the employees are only half listening to what I say, so I have to watch them make my order like a hawk, even though nothing has ever been screwed up to my knowledge.

Same! Every coffee shop. Too many horror stories from my roommate, who works in coffee.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:59 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

monkeytoes wrote:
annak wrote:
My sister went through a phase where all she would eat was a plain burger on a bun (no catsup/pickles/etc) and they would NOT make that for her at McDo. It just couldn't be done, apparently. Thus the whole Burger King have it your way thing, I guess, but it still boggles my mind that they couldn't put a damned burger on a bun.

I was a total noncondimentarian until I was 12 or 13 and I used to get plain hamburgers at McDonald's any time we went there. I had to wait because they had the prepped ones stacked up under the heat lamp and had to make mine special, but I always got it. Until they invented chicken mcnuggets and I never ate a fast food burger ever again.

I think we may have been the same 12/13 year old!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

missdelaney wrote:
TexTroosers wrote:
erynne936 wrote:
I admit that I don't go through the drive thru at Starbucks because I have to SEE the box of soymilk involved in making my coffee.

Me too- I'm always afraid that my order isn't being taken correctly or that the employees are only half listening to what I say, so I have to watch them make my order like a hawk, even though nothing has ever been screwed up to my knowledge.

Same! Every coffee shop. Too many horror stories from my roommate, who works in coffee.

I prefer to watch them too, I watch them pour the soy and then follow that cup as it's steamed, on the counter, whatever. At the kiosk in the mall you can't see because of the way the counter is, and sure enough they must have given me dairy milk the last time I was there because I had a big stomachache.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

crowderpea wrote:
Taco Bell is usually petty cool about multiple substitutions. I always end up having about three things I change on each food.

I wish that was true in the Southwest. Before frecso style, a been burrito with no cheese got me a cheese burrito 50% of the time!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

When I used to get fast food in my past life, normal orders straight from the menu came out correctly about half the time. I can't imagine if I tried to change something.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:05 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Taco Bell has always gotten my order right, aside from the stray fleck of cheese here or there. I don't order meaty things with subs, though, and I still check before I dig in.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

annak wrote:
Tea wrote:
annak wrote:
Sometimes I order a different drink than what I really want at Starbucks because I'm afraid that if I have too many adjectives they'll just screw it up.

Aaaahhh. I usually go for simple things... Coffee frap with soy! No whip! But then I noticed even when I forgot to say no whip, they didn't put whip on, so I figured they were smart enough to know I didn't want whip if I wasn't getting dairy, or maybe the coffee fraps just don't get whip. Or maybe whip was an extra you had to ask for, I dunno how the system works. But then I had a frap appear with whip, and I was like "Whoa! I didn't want whip!" and she just took it off with a spoon, and I felt bad so I drank it even though her spoon removal efforts were kinda lackluster. Then I got food poisoning symptoms later in the day and was bedridden for a couple of days. I don't know if the two events are related or not.

Anyway, the point is I no longer go to Starbucks because it scares me.

They're not smart enough to know that. The real answer, of course, is that they should have yummy nondairy whip for us.

I'm really offended by this. Just because someone works for Starbucks doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. Maybe they have bigger things on their mind then trying to divine what your entire diet may be from one frappaccino order.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

Spinach wrote:
annak wrote:
Tea wrote:
Aaaahhh. I usually go for simple things... Coffee frap with soy! No whip! But then I noticed even when I forgot to say no whip, they didn't put whip on, so I figured they were smart enough to know I didn't want whip if I wasn't getting dairy, or maybe the coffee fraps just don't get whip. Or maybe whip was an extra you had to ask for, I dunno how the system works. But then I had a frap appear with whip, and I was like "Whoa! I didn't want whip!" and she just took it off with a spoon, and I felt bad so I drank it even though her spoon removal efforts were kinda lackluster. Then I got food poisoning symptoms later in the day and was bedridden for a couple of days. I don't know if the two events are related or not.

Anyway, the point is I no longer go to Starbucks because it scares me.

They're not smart enough to know that. The real answer, of course, is that they should have yummy nondairy whip for us.

I'm really offended by this. Just because someone works for Starbucks doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. Maybe they have bigger things on their mind then trying to divine what your entire diet may be from one frappaccino order.

As a former Starbucks manager, I understand how that "not smart enough" comment could be offensive. I consider myself to be an intelligent individual, and I used to work there. The truth is, there are Frappuccinos that come with whip as part of the recipe, and then there are Frappuccinos that do not come with whip unless the customer adds whip when they order it. At least, that's how it worked when I was still employed there. Additionally, people omit the whip in their orders for a variety of reasons, so the employees there do not always just assume that a person cannot eat dairy when they omit the whip. I agree that it can be implied that if a person orders a drink with soy, it's safe to assume that they'll want no whip. However, I think the employee should always ask, just in case.

And yes, it would be awesome if they had nondairy whip. Alas, maybe someday.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In my experience, I don't have to say "no whip" when I order soy. Occasionally the barista will ask me when she is getting ready to put the lid on if I wanted whip, just to make sure, but the assumption always seems to be that I don't. I like it that way because I usually forget to say.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yeah, and there are definitely people who order soy and then want whip. Just be polite and specific, and you'll be fine. Of course I'm pretty spoiled by my Starbucks experiences. Most know my drink and my name. I feel a little like Norm.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

jojo wrote:
I was just reading this. I laughed at the ingredient list one after honing in on Gelatin in about 0.3 seconds!

I had the Cream right away... and didn't give up until I found Gelatin as well!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:12 am 
Inflexitarian

Spinach wrote:

It seems like a reasonable assumption that if someone requests non-dairy, they don't want you to shove more dairy on top. Maybe some folks ask for soy and then whip but I don't understand at all why that would be your default assumption.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

emmalv wrote:
When I used to get fast food in my past life, normal orders straight from the menu came out correctly about half the time. I can't imagine if I tried to change something.

Me too. My entire life, I have had horrible luck ordering food anywhere. It's part of the reason why I stopped eating fast food in the first place, and why I am now so picky about where I do eat- I've had some incredibly frustrating experiences!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 am 

Tea wrote:
Spinach wrote:

It seems like a reasonable assumption that if someone requests non-dairy, they don't want you to shove more dairy on top. Maybe some folks ask for soy and then whip but I don't understand at all why that would be your default assumption.

I think it might be that people request such odd things that the baristas generally don't have assumptions? Or don't rely on them as they're probably surprised/proven wrong often enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am 
Mediocre Tart

ndpittman wrote:
Tea wrote:
Spinach wrote:

I think it might be that people request such odd things that the baristas generally don't have assumptions? Or don't rely on them as they're probably surprised/proven wrong often enough.

Yeah, I got sucked into that ihatestarbucks forum that was posted a while back (by you, ndp, yeah?) and people always seem to be requesting random shiitake like half soy half dairy for whatever reason. I would imagine in a job such as barista at Sbux you would be well-placed to only make exactly what the customer orders and not assume anything incase they flip the fork out. If that's the drink, that's the drink- if the customer orders a drink that comes with 'whip' (what is that? squirty cream?) then you put whip on it unless they say otherwise. It's not about lacking smarts or whatever.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 am 

Yes, yes, and yes interrobang?!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:19 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I say no whip for every drink I order at sbux unless it's just a plain soy latte. They look at me like I'm crazy, but I've been surprised by whipped cream so many times and I can't keep track of what they put it on and don't.

My ex used to get fancy coffee drinks with soy milk and with whipped cream. He was vegetarian and that was how he liked it.

My 2 favorite sbux locations each have a vegan working at them!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:10 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Bagelyo wrote:
I'm actually dying to know what product that is an ingredient list for.

my guess would be pop-tarts

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Ok I do snack on tofu straight from the package, and open it with a steak knife. And I don't live on Oreos. I also don't understand how Oreos are vegan because last time I looked at a package it had whey in it, but maybe that was a long time ago and they changed it?
I don't like Boca burgers and I don't know what meat tastes like.
And I hate mayonaisse, and veganaisse and all kinds of aisses!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Yeah, at Starbucks and I tell them "no whip". I'm sure every barista has enough horror stories of people yelling at them for assuming whip/nowhip/drizzle/nodrizzle/whateverthefuck and then being wrong, so to be kind to them I tell them exactly what I want. Generally, they'll give you whatever it is you ask for, and that includes whip if you don't specify if you don't want it. They may ask if you're sure you want that, but they wouldn't just omit it on their own.

Tall soy half-sweet no whip hot chocolate is my jam.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

paprikapapaya wrote:

Too much work. Grande green tea lemonade. But didn't occur to me that their hot chocolate could be made vegan. That could change things considerably.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Alaina wrote:
Ok I do snack on tofu straight from the package, and open it with a steak knife. And I don't live on Oreos. I also don't understand how Oreos are vegan because last time I looked at a package it had whey in it, but maybe that was a long time ago and they changed it?

I'm fairly certain they've been vegan in the US for a very long time. However, Oreo's aren't vegan in the UK. They definitely don't have whey in them.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm 
Dead by dawn

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Alaina wrote:

I'm fairly certain they've been vegan in the US for a very long time. However, Oreo's aren't vegan in the UK. They definitely don't have whey in them.

Back in the Dark Ages when I first went vegetarian, US Oreos has lard in them. They may have also had whey in them back then (late 80s) but I wouldn't have cared because pig fat...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:01 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Moon wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:

Too much work. Grande green tea lemonade. But didn't occur to me that their hot chocolate could be made vegan. That could change things considerably.

Oh yeah, and it is good. I don't do coffee or tea, but I'm all up on that hot chocolate.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 pm 

+1 yummy to hot chocolate! I get it with just soy and a couple of pumps of mocha though. I don't think it needs vanilla syrup. Is that what half sweet means paprikapapaya?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next