| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 19 Signs You've Been Vegan Too Long
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Alaina wrote:
Ok I do snack on tofu straight from the package, and open it with a steak knife. And I don't live on Oreos. I also don't understand how Oreos are vegan because last time I looked at a package it had whey in it, but maybe that was a long time ago and they changed it?

I'm fairly certain they've been vegan in the US for a very long time. However, Oreo's aren't vegan in the UK. They definitely don't have whey in them.

No, they're vegan now. I'm pretty sure. They're vegan now in Germany (as of this year) and its same production for the UK/Northern Europe/etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:06 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Alaina wrote:
Ok I do snack on tofu straight from the package, and open it with a steak knife. And I don't live on Oreos. I also don't understand how Oreos are vegan because last time I looked at a package it had whey in it, but maybe that was a long time ago and they changed it?

I'm fairly certain they've been vegan in the US for a very long time. However, Oreo's aren't vegan in the UK. They definitely don't have whey in them.

No, they're vegan now. I'm pretty sure. They're vegan now in Germany (as of this year) and its same production for the UK/Northern Europe/etc.

Yep! A new and awesome development in the world of cookie goodness!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 am 
Ninja Master

Mr. Shankly wrote:
However, Oreo's aren't vegan in the UK.

They are they are!! They changed recently and removed the whey. Hence a lot of happy UK vegans!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:38 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

ndpittman wrote:
+1 yummy to hot chocolate! I get it with just soy and a couple of pumps of mocha though. I don't think it needs vanilla syrup. Is that what half sweet means paprikapapaya?

Hey, that's my drink too! Or, if I'm feeling very luxurious, I swap the vanilla for a pump of toffee nut. So good!

Tea wrote:
Spinach wrote:
I'm really offended by this. Just because someone works for Starbucks doesn't mean they aren't intelligent. Maybe they have bigger things on their mind then trying to divine what your entire diet may be from one frappaccino order.

It seems like a reasonable assumption that if someone requests non-dairy, they don't want you to shove more dairy on top. Maybe some folks ask for soy and then whip but I don't understand at all why that would be your default assumption.

The thing is, Starbucks employees are not supposed to assume anything. There are standard recipes and, unless stated otherwise, that is how they make them every time. The default is with whip unless specified otherwise. And you'd be surprised by the number of people who want soy + whip or non-fat +whip.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

j-dub wrote:
The thing is, Starbucks employees are not supposed to assume anything. There are standard recipes and, unless stated otherwise, that is how they make them every time. The default is with whip unless specified otherwise. And you'd be surprised by the number of people who want soy + whip or non-fat +whip.

I usually get light or skinny drinks, and have taken to redundantly specifying "no whip" because otherwise I either get asked or get whipped cream.

And for the record, in response to the person I seem to have offended, way back there I said "They're not smart enough to know [that you don't want whipped cream]," not "Starbucks employees are unintelligent." I don't know anyone who works at Starbucks beyond a 30 second coffee interaction, so I couldn't comment on the latter even if I did have any opinion on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

VeganinBerlin wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:
Alaina wrote:

oh ok, I haven't bought Oreos in like 10 plus years. I guess between now and then the whey came out. But on the other hand it doesn't matter to me cause even if their vegan their still full of chemical crepe I don't want to eat.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am 
WELFARIST!

More Oreos for me and everyone in the UK!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 am 
Tofu Pup

I haven't been vegan long enough... took me two tries to figure out the "earth balance knife" thing. I was like when tf did earth balance come out with a line of knives? And I had to google "nooch", cause never heard it called that before. Haha, I'll catch up eventually. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:23 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

annak wrote:

And for the record, in response to the person I seem to have offended, way back there I said "They're not smart enough to know [that you don't want whipped cream]," not "Starbucks employees are unintelligent." I don't know anyone who works at Starbucks beyond a 30 second coffee interaction, so I couldn't comment on the latter even if I did have any opinion on it.

As someone who wasn't offended at all by the comment but did definitely read it as saying 'Starbucks employees'... Then what did you mean?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mars wrote:
annak wrote:

As someone who wasn't offended at all by the comment but did definitely read it as saying 'Starbucks employees'... Then what did you mean?

I can't speak for annak, but I read it as mirroring my word choice. I meant it in regards to the specific person who gave me whipped cream. Other people have pointed out really good reasons why I shouldn't expect people to divine my desire for no whip, and even if that weren't the case that really isn't a justifiable reason to imply bad things about them on the internet. I'm admittedly bitter about getting food poisoning but I ate out at like 3 places in the 48 hours beforehand and the Starbucks is the least likely source so that isn't an excuse either. I was being a dick. Sorry!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm 

I got the "tofu is bad for you and you eat a lot of tofu" thing today. I was like too much of anything is bad for you, that is such a non-argument. And then I pointed out that people who eat lots of processed, fast, and prepared foods can eat more soy then vegetarians and vegans who don't eat processed foods, because it's in everything. And what I kept to myself but won't here is :Why the fork does every mongoloid on the planet think that as I vegan I eat nothing but tofu and soy??

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm 

I just realized I had windows open and meant to post that in the Pet Peeves thread. Oops.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Alaina wrote:
I got the "tofu is bad for you and you eat a lot of tofu" thing today. I was like too much of anything is bad for you, that is such a non-argument. And then I pointed out that people who eat lots of processed, fast, and prepared foods can eat more soy then vegetarians and vegans who don't eat processed foods, because it's in everything. And what I kept to myself but won't here is :Why the fork does every mongoloid on the planet think that as I vegan I eat nothing but tofu and soy??

did you mean to use this word? i'm sorta hoping this was a "damn you autocorrect" moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:40 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Bumping to say that Crunchwrap thing was an awesome dinner last night at 10:30 on my way home from work. Brilliant. Could probably even be improved with guacamole. Cashier did not even blink, order came out perfect.

ETA kind of feeling like I shouldn't have bumped now that I am rereading the end, oh well

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:17 am 
WELFARIST!

Ariann wrote:
Bumping to say that Crunchwrap thing was an awesome dinner last night at 10:30 on my way home from work. Brilliant. Could probably even be improved with guacamole. Cashier did not even blink, order came out perfect.

ETA kind of feeling like I shouldn't have bumped now that I am rereading the end, oh well

I appreciate the bump. it gives me new confidence to try it now.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:40 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Alaina wrote:
Why the fork does every mongoloid on the planet think that as I vegan I eat nothing but tofu and soy??

http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.co ... n-coulter/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 am 
Nailed to the V

I just looked at this and did laugh out loud at the 'this is what you actually eat' ... ah but I sling lots of cooked veg into my beans ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

teacup wrote:
I just looked at this and did laugh out loud at the 'this is what you actually eat' ... ah but I sling lots of cooked veg into my beans ...

I just looked at this and got confused about what I was talking about. Then I realized it wasn't me! Hello name friend:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7