| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rest In Power calcuhater
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I am so so so crushed to say that Amy Sims, who you know as calcuhater, passed away on Thursday, very suddenly, from a pulmonary embolism.

Amy was an amazing high school math teacher (calc wasn't hating for nothing.) Her students absolutely loved her because she was so forking smart and so forking cool. She was like a real life Edward James Olmos. This is a message one student wrote that I want to share:
Quote:
Im thankful i got to tell you in person that you were the best teacher / math teacher i ever had . Even though i got kicked out the school building i made sure to see you before i was forced out .still got your math notebook with all your corrections and comments that ill appreciate 1000x more today . R.i.p ill move forward in life and remember that a teacher made a difference.

She was a dog lover and leaves behind a beautiful pitbull named Georgia, who she rescued in her Washington Heights neighborhood last year. (Georgia is being cared for now, in case you are curious.) She loved taking Georgia on walks in Inwood Park, through rain, snow or shine.

She was my friend of 20 years, my soul sister and partner in crime. She was a total bisque, she could make you laugh, she was a great listener and just an all around irreplaceable human being who cared a lot. She will be SO missed every single day by so many people. My heart goes out to her beautiful mother, her niece who she adored and her loving boyfriend.

People have been asking if there's somewhere to donate $$ in her name. I believe this is happening, so I will let you know when it does.

ETA: For people who would like to help, in lieu of flowers or food, we are asking that people send cold hard cash to help Amy's mom Liz with the cost of everything. They are collecting cards at the memorial on Wednesday, but I know that most of you can't make it. So if you'd like to help out, you can paypal the money to me and I will make one huge asparagus card to give to her mom. Leave a message in the paypal comments (twitter length, if possible) and I will include all of the messages in the card. I think her mom would LOVE to read the messages as well.

OK, paypal any amount to ppkshop@gmail.com with "Amy's mom" as the subject. I will post a pic of the card when it's finished. Thank you!!!

Post subject: Re: Rest In Power calcuhater
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

So very sad... Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Oh no, this is so sad. My condolences to everyone here who knew her. I never had the pleasure of meeting her outside of the boards, but things wont be the same around here without her.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

heartbroken. :( thanks for posting, isa, i was wondering what on earth had happened. soooo many hugs and so much love. <3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:38 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That was a beautiful post, Isa. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is so shocking.

All my best to her family and friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm so sorry for your loss, Isa. I only ever knew Amy as a board moderator, in all her fierceness and quick-wittedness. The boards will not be the same without her. This is so shocking and sad.

RIP, Amy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 am 
Chip Strong

This is shocking news. I am new and won't pretend I knew her, but just wanted to express my deepest sympathies for you Isa and all who knew her. Thank you very much for posting a bit about Amy- she sounds like someone who I very much would have like to have known.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

This is so sad. Like many others, I only knew her through these boards, but my sincere condolences to all her friends and family.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:49 am 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I am so sorry, Isa.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 am 
WELFARIST!

So sad...I'm sorry for your loss, Isa.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm so sorry everyone! This is shocking and really heartbreaking. I loved Amy's PPK presence and that's all I really saw of her, so I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is for those of you who were her friends in person. She will be missed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm so so sorry. This is the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:58 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Oh Calcuhater. :(
such a loss - for her family, the PPK, her friends, her students... so many beings.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:00 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I never met Amy, but all of the stuff Isa said was easy to tell from interacting with her online. She posted pictures of her students on instagram and tagged them, so it was clear that she was really involved in their lives. She wasn't afraid to tell you if she thought you were wrong about something, because she was truly a good friend. I'm sure plenty of people here met Amy's bisque-y side, but she wouldn't bother tell you that you were being a dumb crasshole if she didn't care at least a little bit. I'm going to miss her, and stories about Georgia, and talking about nail polish. Also all of the spider bites because people got really grossed out and it was hilarious.

And remember guys, when you get your Dr. Pepper to cheer to Amy, we agreed that gas station DP is the best (we may have differed on the clear fact that cans are second best, but I don't remember for sure).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Oh my! So sad, what a loss :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:09 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

mrsbadmouth wrote:
She wasn't afraid to tell you if she thought you were wrong about something, because she was truly a good friend.

fixed wrote:
She wasn't afraid to tell you if she thought you were wrong about EVERYTHING, because she was truly a good friend.

Fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:10 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i'm so sorry, everyone. all my condolences and love and hugs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

When I finally meet Amy in person, it didn't seem like a first meeting. I felt like I'd known her for years and had to remind myself that I'd never actually met her before. I always felt a strong kinship with her and if I had a problem, she'd be the first and usually only one I'd annoy with it. She never failed to help make me feel better. Our mutual friend Aesop has known her since he was 13 and we've often sung her praises over a beer thousands of miles away. I was hoping to get to new york this year and hanging out with Amy was at the top of my list of reasons to go. At one time I thought I had her nearly convinced to move out here. I'm going to miss her. Dog fishead and mike watt tonight.

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:14 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Amy is the second person I have known to have died suddenly this month, and the second person who was taken, far too soon, in the midst of doing incredible work and living a beautiful life filled with compassion for and service of others. Although I feel that Amy deserved a longer life, I take comfort in knowing that what short time she had with us she dedicated to making the world a better place. I know she took great pride in those who benefited from her love and compassion- most of what I remember from her social media accounts were not selfish boasting but pictures of Georgia, the beautiful scenery on their long daily walks, and the many accomplishments of her students. I know her legacy will be the remarkable lives her students are living. In that way, her own life was short, but she lives on in so many others' lives.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Amy in person once, but she was exactly as I had hoped she would be: funny, quick-witted, intelligent, and friendly. I often caught myself wishing she would come to visit again, or that I could make it out to New York and visit her. I'm really, really sorry that won't happen now. I am thankful for the brief time I did get to spend with her, and thankful that I can say I knew such a wonderful person. I just really wish I had more time to know her. I will miss you dearly, Amy. Thanks for being awesome. <3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:15 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

So, so sad. I'm sorry for your loss.

I didn't know Amy off of the PPK but her presence here will be missed, we totally had the same taste in nail polish and I was just telling someone about that spider bite thread the day before yesterday.

Last edited by jojo on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:16 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Also all of the spider bites because people got really grossed out and it was hilarious.

Ha ha! I am laughing with tears in my eyes. I had forgotten about the gnarly spider bites.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm so sorry to hear this. I didn't know Amy, but she sounds like a cool person and a kick-ass friend. It also sounds like she leaves behind a bunch of people who are better for knowing her and will miss her like mad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:23 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Too forking sad. RIP calcuhater.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This is so shocking and terrible. My condolences to those who knew her.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm so, so sorry to hear this.