| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: first xanax of thanksgiving! post your stress here too!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

family. ughh!!!! in short, my dad is a hoarder and my grandma is on the mean side. I stopped talking to that side for 2 years for no reason in particular, its just too stressful to me. I decided to give family another shot this summer and agreed to visit for thanksgiving. I leave Tuesday and my grandma just called hysterical that my dad wanted to get a hotel for us and that hes not taking off work bla bla I should stay with her. This is exactly how every other trip used to go down and I end up feeling shuffled around, like I'm imposing, and having to constantly defend my father who I really barely know. so heres to stressful thanksgiving, family obligations, and the first of the many xanax I will be taking this week. join me in my anxiety!

Post subject: Re: first xanax of thanksgiving! post your stress here too!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey! Been there, done that! I feel your pain!

The title of your post made me laugh out loud. My xanax refill is all ready to be picked up tomorrow!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:03 pm 
Tofu Pup

BTW, my hometown is Syracuse! Any snow yet?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mine is totally tame, but: We're going to my sister's this year. Typically my mom, my sister and I all collaborate on the menu and divvy up who's going to make what. I hadn't heard anything from either of them about it, so I asked my mom today and apparently my sister has everything "taken care of." Meaning she bought a Tofurky meal for my husband and I and all I'm expected to bring is my husband's birthday cake (his birthday is Friday). I'm sure she's just trying to be thoughtful, but I want to make my regular (homemade) holiday food! I don't want a damn Tofurky! So now I get to be the princess-y bisque who's too good for the special vegan meal my sister bought. UGH.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:12 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

The most stressful thing about Thanksgiving for me is that it doesn't seem stressful for anyone else at all. One side of my family just cannot let go of the vegan thing, they either fight with me or question me to death and then insult food that they're not even eating. It's totally no win in the food area. And my grandma always makes a big production about how she doesn't know what to feed me. One year my mom left a bunch of recipes at her house for vegan things and she still complained and didn't make anything vegan. So pointless.

And on the other family side my grandpa is really old and he touches all the food before selecting his part. It's hard to watch and..you know..it's gross. And he makes a constant hum. And he can't hear well at all and it peas my grandma off, everything he says - which is inevitably a question that's already been answered - is answered with "GODDAMN IT MAURICE, YOU CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING" but he finds joy in pissing her off. I like that side more though, so I'm going to eat with them this time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:17 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Fee wrote:
And he can't hear well at all and it peas my grandma off, everything he says - which is inevitably a question that's already been answered - is answered with "GODDAMN IT MAURICE, YOU CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING" but he finds joy in pissing her off.

Ha! This reminds me of my grandparents. My grandpa used to breath sort of loudly through his mouth and my grandma would shout at him, "Harry! Stop breathing!"

Then they both stopped breathing and now I miss them (insert sad trombone noise).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:07 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

We're doing thanksgiving with the bf's family at a private club his grandparents are members of. The building is gorgeous and from the early 1900's, but the food situation is... abysmal. I was there for some other holiday and it was buffet style and all I could eat was fruit. I anticipate there being a grand total of zero food options, which is fine by me but will be massively awkward when we all sit back down at the table!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:18 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

i live with my parents and i'm not allowed to use the kitchen at all because my mom needs it.

eta: my xanax expired a year ago because i rarely take it, seems to still work okay!

Last edited by dakini on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

Hahaha. The best family get-together we had was many years ago and each family member had their respective benzo as a place setting of sorts. Mom- xanax, brother- Klonopin, and father- Valium. A joyous time was had by all.

Thanksgiving these days: dad is in AZ, I just get weird looks from family members, but they pretty much back off. The only really, really annoying thing is "well that looks good... what is it really?" or "that actually looks pretty good." Remove the "actually," please. It is forking good, thanks.

I can't wait for them to try the smlove, fall in love with it, then hit 'em with "IT'S TOFU, bisques!"

It was more fun/stressful when the grandparents were alive. More like what Fee is going to be going through on Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Pinko wrote:
Fee wrote:
And he can't hear well at all and it peas my grandma off, everything he says - which is inevitably a question that's already been answered - is answered with "GODDAMN IT MAURICE, YOU CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING" but he finds joy in pissing her off.

Ha! This reminds me of my grandparents. My grandpa used to breath sort of loudly through his mouth and my grandma would shout at him, "Harry! Stop breathing!"

Then they both stopped breathing and now I miss them (insert sad trombone noise).

Bwahahaha! I needed this.

Condolences, also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:36 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Is anyone on the ppk a pharmacist? I'd love to know what sort of spike in xanax prescriptions pharmacies see starting around the middle of November and lasting until the end of December. I bet it's noticeable.
Fortunately, we are going to my family's this year. My siblings (and their so's), and parents are awesome and fun and great. I'm just stressing a little about what to say to my uncle this year if he says something stupid. Last year he was saying to my newly vegetarian brother "the turkey tastes good to me!" to which my brother said "uh, ok." Uncle replied "well, you aren't eating it, so you must think it's no good, but it tastes good to me." Brother just responded "ok.". I know, that's the no-drama way to handle it, but I thought my uncle was totally out of line. It's not like my brother was going "iew, you have dead bird on your plate" or saying anything else to provoke him. So I've been wasting way too much of my november coming up with retorts in case something like this happens again this year:
"I haven't eaten turkey in over 15 years. Are you picking on your nephew because a man not eating meat somehow makes you more uncomfortable in your own dietary choices than a woman not eating meat does?"
or
"I don't see anyone goading you about not having a drink. Please show the same respect that is being shown to you."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:38 pm 
Dildo Queen

i'm kind of glad that i'm not in contact with any family members outside of my immediate ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:40 pm 
Dildo Queen

i'm kind of glad that i'm not in contact with any family members outside of my immediate ones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:34 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

No Xanax here, but my mom mentioned she is thinking about getting a medical marijuana card and I was like "OH MY GOD PLEASE DO." She is a total freakball when it comes to spending time with her family. She's a lot better recently since her dad is senile (and therefore nice) and she's clinging to the hope that very soon, once he passes, she can tell her sisters to FOAD. Her family is insanely cheerful and sings together, but it's this bizarre veneer covering huge dysfunction, enormous wealth discrepancies, substance abuse problems, and more. If they were at the very least upfront about being forked up like everyone else I could respect and enjoy that, but no, it's happy! Happy! HAPPY! All the time!

She gets really wound up about a week before any holiday we have to spend with the family, and on the day of, she is pulled tighter than a rubber band, and of course it all comes out in screaming fights with my dad and I, so we're all just totally stoked when we finally get to her uncle's house, and I didn't inherit her family's ability to smile and pretend nothing's wrong, so my dad and I are the scowly ones in the corner drinking wine. If I could smoke my mom out before she goes over there that would be so much better.

That said, we're spending Thanksgiving with my parents (and our dogs) only. It will be vegan, low-key, and there will be lots of cussing and television. And no singing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:14 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ah so many fond memories being recounted in this thread already! nice work ppkers. respective benzos as place settings seems like a genius idea. for my dinner my g.ma remembered what I ate at the last family meal four years ago--raw veggies with hummus. what she seems to have forgotten is that she took my plate away from me and served my "dinner" as an appetizer!!! honestly the thing I'm most upset about is that I planned a great trip to Vinnies for donuts (see the square) and that seems to be off the table now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:27 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My brother and S.i.l live next door to me....the last time I spoke to them was July. I am going to their daughters house with my mom for thanksgiving. I think my mom has realized I stopped eating meat but she is in denial. This will be the "coming out" to the family and they will be complete idiots about it. I really don't want to have to explain any of it to them and I don't want to insult their food-but I'm not eating it.
My nieces mother in law is the gold standard of Wackadoo and she will be there with an over priced designer dog(or 3). She will once again hint that I should spend some time with their *cough* bachelor for life *cough* son then wonder why we don't hit it off....They don't wonder they actually say something is wrong with me...
Don't get me started on Maggie the Maltese who never stops barking!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i'm spending it alone and i'm forking pissed about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:31 am 
Ignore this!

I've traded holiday stress for holiday guilt, by not going to my mom's for T'giving like my other siblings. Staying home w/ Mr. Nummers to eat, watch DVD's, and lie around. Totally worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:12 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I'm tired of explaining to the same relatives (specifically one aunt) that I haven't eaten meat in 12 years, and then further trying to explain the vegan thing. Last year was my first vegan Thanksgiving, but I spent it here, working and made dinner with the boy after.

Last Christmas, I was able to go home at the last second. All I ate the night of our family's big to-do was cookies I'd made and carrots. I think my aunt made a salad, because she usually does. That will not be happening again. I will have a real meal, dammit!

I'm mostly stressed this year about prepping an entire meal for myself here, figuring out a way for to survive a 4 hour train ride, cooking everything while my parents are asleep so I'm not in the way, and then driving all of that another 1.5 hours to my aunt's house. We're making a seitan en croute. I don't even know how to go about explaining what that is.

Oh. And the boy has never met most of my family. He's in for an entertaining evening.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 am 
Saggy Butt

Just a warning: dead animal rant to follow.

I already had one thanksgiving this weekend. It's deer hunting season, so I was surrounded by family members who either killed a deer or regaled everyone with tales of all the animals they killed while waiting for a deer to cross their path (I'll spare you all the details). One of the few high points was meeting an awesome little dog who was the friendliest thing, but that high was quickly removed when, based on the dog's behavior, I would guess he was abused by his owner.

Oh, and I nearly forgot the conversation in which it was discussed that pitbulls are dangerous and will turn on their owners with zero warning or provocation.

I couldn't fit in any less with my family if I tried. *sigh*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

rocklobster wrote:
family. ughh!!!! in short, my dad is a hoarder and my grandma is on the mean side. I stopped talking to that side for 2 years for no reason in particular, its just too stressful to me. I decided to give family another shot this summer and agreed to visit for thanksgiving. I leave Tuesday and my grandma just called hysterical that my dad wanted to get a hotel for us and that hes not taking off work bla bla I should stay with her. This is exactly how every other trip used to go down and I end up feeling shuffled around, like I'm imposing, and having to constantly defend my father who I really barely know. so heres to stressful thanksgiving, family obligations, and the first of the many xanax I will be taking this week. join me in my anxiety!

Hotels are so worth it! It finally dawned on us that we were tired of sleeping in basements, on floors and bringing or own sleep mats. You're also guaranteed some peace and quiet time away from everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:00 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have no idea what I'm doing for Thanksgiving. I got an e-mail from my mother last week saying that she hadn't decided whether or not to travel to New York, and I received a text from her on Friday saying that she was in North Carolina.

So, I have no idea what's up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coffeemckee wrote:
BTW, my hometown is Syracuse! Any snow yet?

ive seen flakes once or twice, nothing sticking yet. Wanna talk about Alto Cincos delicious bbq tofu burrito?
Karyn--let us know if your mom decides to make thanksgiving or not! itll be like a surprise ending!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:39 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Is anyone on the ppk a pharmacist? I'd love to know what sort of spike in xanax prescriptions pharmacies see starting around the middle of November and lasting until the end of December. I bet it's noticeable.
Fortunately, we are going to my family's this year. My siblings (and their so's), and parents are awesome and fun and great. I'm just stressing a little about what to say to my uncle this year if he says something stupid. Last year he was saying to my newly vegetarian brother "the turkey tastes good to me!" to which my brother said "uh, ok." Uncle replied "well, you aren't eating it, so you must think it's no good, but it tastes good to me." Brother just responded "ok.". I know, that's the no-drama way to handle it, but I thought my uncle was totally out of line. It's not like my brother was going "iew, you have dead bird on your plate" or saying anything else to provoke him. So I've been wasting way too much of my november coming up with retorts in case something like this happens again this year:
"I haven't eaten turkey in over 15 years. Are you picking on your nephew because a man not eating meat somehow makes you more uncomfortable in your own dietary choices than a woman not eating meat does?"
or
"I don't see anyone goading you about not having a drink. Please show the same respect that is being shown to you."

I'm pretty sure either of these will start a row which will end up making you look the baddie. I would tend to stay along the lines of "Are you ok, you seem to be very critical today?" or just a straight "Does someone not eating meat upset you?". Then you're leaving him with having to answer a perfectly civil question while also drawing attention to his behaviour without being too critical.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

fezza wrote:
I'm pretty sure either of these will start a row which will end up making you look the baddie. I would tend to stay along the lines of "Are you ok, you seem to be very critical today?" or just a straight "Does someone not eating meat upset you?". Then you're leaving him with having to answer a perfectly civil question while also drawing attention to his behaviour without being too critical.

Don't worry fezza. Those are just the imaginary things I've been thinking up that I would never have the courage to actually say even if I did want to. I'm not one for making a scene. If he pulls the same shiitake this year he'll probably just get another perplexed and awkward "um? ok then.." followed by turning away from him and starting or continuing a conversation with someone else. But thanks for your more restrained responses. I will keep them in mind, especially the second suggestion, in case I feel I have to say something.