| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: meeting bf's parents for the first time
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

(formerly katieud)

hello folks. my parents won't be in town for thanksgiving, so my boyfriend's parents invited me to spend thanksgiving with them. this of course brings up crippling social anxiety and fear that they'll hate me or I'll do something ridiculous and they'll wonder why the hell their son is dating me. I've never met them before and his entire extended family will be there as well. I already went out and bought a nice shirt to wear (he said it is extremely casual, but his and my ideas of casual are very different). besides a double dose of prozac, does anyone have any advice to make this bearable?

Post subject: Re: meeting bf's parents for the first time
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Don't sweat it.

Just enjoy the hospitality and spending thanksgiving with yer feller.

Are you having tofurkey? Take tofurkey!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It can't be worse than the first Thanksgiving with my husband's family. I think I had met them once prior, in passing. In addition to me, they also invited his EXgf! And she brought her bf. It was so awkward. I just wanted to run away all night. I know I brought myself food, and brought a dessert, and his parents were nice to me and ate what I brought and didn't go "eww vegan" or anything but the fact that his ex was there was just a nightmare. I don't think I talked all night aside from formalities.

And now we're married and I win!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Bring a delicious, fancy dessert and win them over right away!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Be yourself, you're awesome! And the yummy dessert contribution can't hurt. <3 <3 <3

Rabidchild, that is hilarious and awful. I would have spent the whole evening assuming I was being Punk'd...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Just try to relax and not spaz out. Taking food is always good. I'm also going to my bf's parents house for Tday and staying there a few days. I've met them over a weekend before in the summer when they visited, but I'll also be meeting a sister and random family members. I plan on taking some extra food things even though his mum says she'll be making most everything vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:52 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Everybody else has fabulous advice. I just popped in to say that your new screen name is the best one on this board. You're all like, "ahh, I have too much superoxidedismutase! Initiate programmed cell death!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:38 am 
Shopped till she dropped

Heh. The first time I met my BF's mom was for his dad's funeral. Yep. I flew from Chicago to Anchorage for that. I was nervous as hell. I also met his entire extended family, all of his friends and his best friend since the age of 3 all in one go. It was intense and surreal, but ultimately, a pretty good time considering the circumstances.

Tofulish wrote:
Be yourself, you're awesome! And the yummy dessert contribution can't hurt. <3 <3 <3

This. And be gracious and polite, but relax and enjoy yourself. They know you're nervous.

This reminds me that Fred is meeting my extended family for the first time this Thanksgiving. He's already met my parents, sister and brother-in-law, but my family is very different from his. I've been giving him the low-down: generally conservative, down-home Central Illinois Catholics. His family is primarily Liberal West Coasters with a penchant for good food and wine. Both families are a lot of fun, in their own bizarre ways.

Have you asked your boyfriend much about his family? He would be the best person to ask for advice. He can tell you what their general interests are, so you have a little preparation. Or at least he can give you an idea of what to avoid. Families are weird. There are always little quirks and idiosyncrasies that you have to dance around.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:37 am 
Saggy Butt

I guess I am lucky that I met my husband's father the day before our wedding and the rest of his family 2 months later :shy:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:33 am 
Seagull of the PPK

blueheart wrote:
I guess I am lucky that I met my husband's father the day before our wedding and the rest of his family 2 months later :shy:

HA! I met a brother in law a few months before we got married but everyone else much, much later. It's the best way to do it.

This is a little out of left field but I used to do a lot of fundraising for my university that involved formal dinners with rich eccentric folks, and my job was to be the pleasant undergrad and embody why said eccentric should donate lots and lots of money. Usually the dinners were as awkward as you can imagine, and the people weird, but I learned pretty quickly how to do it and how to be graceful. Especially since I came from a nonfunctional family that not only didn't know which fork to use for the salad, our thanksgiving dinners implied "hey you, give me the motherforking stuffing already!"

My tactic was to become an actor, imagine these people were dear, dear friends from childhood (I had an old italian couple who spoiled me as a kid, so I always imagined Mr and Mrs Campoli) and regardless of what they said or did, these were old friends from the past that I could feel comfortable around, talk to openly, and completely squelch any negative thoughts until after the dinner was over (usually i'd go out dancing after and thrash around a lot).
It worked pretty well, maybe you can just "pretend you're someone else" through the dinner and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

(I went to a Thanx at a boyfriend's house with his separated and very embattled parents, and the first thing I heard, after "another white girl? when are you going to bring home a good girl who can read arabic?" was "Sharon has decided to cook the turkey at 250 for twelve hours, so I hope you have health insurance, since by next week we'll all be swimming in salmonella." That was even worse than a thanksgiving with my own family. Let's hope yours is better.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:30 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Open your heart to them, don't assume that they're the type of people who would think such mean thoughts, they haven't done anything to deserve that. They could be nervous about meeting you too. Try to remember it's their thanksgiving, they're opening their family to you but it's not all about you.

If you're polite and make him happy they'll love you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 am 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

Yep just be yourself. I get so nervous that I go mute or act all stupid but the people that are genuine will see that you are a nervous and not making an asparagus of yourself (not that you are going to do that!).
On my DW side of the family I just play stupid, it's easier that way. I like to be underestimated.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm bad at advice because this would freak me out some too. But I find that all of this is true and helpful (and I think someone posted it on the old boards, too):
http://www.viruscomix.com/monstrepancies.jpg

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sra. Nooch wrote:
Everybody else has fabulous advice. I just popped in to say that your new screen name is the best one on this board. You're all like, "ahh, I have too much superoxidedismutase! Initiate programmed cell death!"

this is what I was coming in to say! Everyone's advice is spot on too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:43 pm 

It could be much worse. You could be meeting them for the fist time pregnant, like I was when I met my partner's parents. I am sure you will be fine! It's probably much easier to meet them at a large gathering than if it was just the two of you and his parents.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My GF just met part of my family (dad, sister) earlier this month and she was real nervous, too. If they see that you make him happy (which I'm sure you do) they'll be happy, too. Just be yourself! And if you're really that concerned make a bailout plan like a way you can signal your BF that you want to leave.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:23 pm 

Sra. Nooch wrote:

ha! new signature!

thanks for the advice everybody. I suck at social situations and in the back of my head I know I'm blowing it out of proportion. I just really, really like him and don't want to fork this up.