| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting piece in re: how loving animals is pathologized
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

"Within our philosophy and within our culture, we cannot take seriously our love and dependence on animals without turning them into medicine and making ourselves sick. We can accept our dependence upon animals only if sanctioned by the medical or legal establishment, circumscribed by the regulations of these institutions, through which we subject ourselves to pathologization and further objectify our animal friends and family."

The author makes some good points about how our culture insists on measuring animals against human standards in order to "justify" the granting (or withholding) of subjectivity to them. The older and smarter I get, the more I try to be mindful of anthropocentrism, and to push back against it. Making the human the benchmark against which everyone and everything else is measured is so deeply ingrained that it takes conscious and concerted effort to put pressure on and interrogate it. What does it matter if animals are "capable of many of the same intellectual feats as humans"? The subjectivity of non-humans is valid because it EXISTS, not because any human uses their putatively "superior" capacities to declare its validity, or to confer it on them.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... mals/?_r=1

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Post subject: Re: Interesting piece in re: how loving animals is pathologi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Interesting piece, thanks for posting. It reminds me if a discussion I recently had with my teenage niece. I was about to let her pet sit while I am vacationing this fall, and while discussing one of my cats medical needs, she made a comment about it only being a cat. I told her that I loved him the same as any of my human friends and family and that he was just as important to me. She responded back that he should not be loved that much since he could not possibly do anything that could better mankind. It shocked me since I would not base anyone's value on how much they could do for me or anyone else. Their value is simply their own and because they exist.

I'm looking for a pet sitting agency now.

Post subject: Re: Interesting piece in re: how loving animals is pathologi
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks for the link. I always enjoy your thoughts as well, Desdemona.