| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone read blogs anymore?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

This has been on my mind for a while.

I started my blog a long time ago (8 years?), and back in the day there was such a joyful sense of community... I made lots of friends (hi Kittee! Hi bazu!) just from reading each others blogs and commenting on them.

I still really love writing my humble little blog posts, so I'll keep at it... But I get so few comments (thanks Panda!). I get about ten spam comments for every actual comment. It seems like most of the blogs these days are all just semi-pro, super slick, almost professional sites that produce lots of recipes. That's cool, but it feels more business-y and less personal to me. Also, I'm just no good at coming up with recipes, alas.

Maybe there are just a bunch of cool blogs out there that I need to discover? What are your favorites these days?

Also, it seems like a lot of the action is actually on Instagram, which is fun... But I like reading people's stories and thoughts. I am imagining all this? Maybe my blog is just a stinker and that's why I don't get many comments! Ha ha. Also, I'll admit I haven't posted much since my dad was so ill last year, so maybe some people just gave up on my little blog and I will have to win them back!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Does anyone read blogs anymore?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 am 
Chip Strong

I check out blogs if I get the reminders on FB/email that a new post goes up!

I rarely get comments either. A moderate amount of views, but noboy says much even when I try to spark conversation.

Then again, I find it a real pain to comment on blogs on my iPod, so I rarely say anything myself.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:32 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

After the demise of Google Reader, I lost track of a lot of the blogs I used to only remember to check on if they popped up in my Google Reader. I'm so glad you posted this, because I love your blog, and now I will remember to look at it because I've subscribed to get email updates!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:27 am 
Chard Martyr

If you stopped writing your blog, Amey, I would never read a blog ever again. <3

I only read a handful of my favourite blogs now. Some I've been reading for years, and others are written by my friends, and a few are friends I've met through them having blogs and me loving them on the PPK. I don't use a reader anymore and I'll be honest, MoFo is way too overwhelming and soured me on feeds because it is really tough to make time to weed through blogs that don't interest me at all.

I'm going to stop there because I've totally been accused of shiitake talking blogs and it's not my intent.

Amey don't stop blogging and especially don't stop doodling!!

I like instagram but I can never keep up, which is why I could never get into twitter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:02 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I hear what you are saying and I made many similar experiences. I am so glad your blog is still there! I love the way you write, the positivity, and of course your drawings.

I miss that kind of community too. Many of my favourite blogs aren't updated any longer and those who are popular right now are mostly shiny lifestyle blogs. I feel that I have to spend so much energy into promoting my blog. And I just don't want and cannot do that. Besides it seems that it's not enough being vegan any longer. So many people think veganism is all about health and weight loss these days. It's hard to fight against this.

Every year I am really looking forward to Vegan MoFo because then the spirit and community returns and it is just amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have four blogs I read regularly ... they are all very active with regular updates ... two of them are blogs about books but lots of their real life creeps in which does help with understanding why they are drawn to certain books ... I do make comments on their postings every now & then ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Your blog is one of my favorites, Amey! I'm not super up to date on what's up with blogs but I try to avoid the really slick ones that look like people angling for a book deal or are selling stuff. I love your positivity and genuineness.

I'm not sure about other folks because I discovered blogging only a few years ago, but I just kind of forget to read them. There's too much stuff on the internet!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I used to read a TON of blogs but I could never really find a reader I liked when Google Reader shut down. There are a handful of blogs I liked on Facebook (your's is one of them Amey!) so I read new posts when they are linked in my FB feed. I'm not a huge commenter, but if there was something I wanted to say I would probably just say it on FB rather than the blog post because it's 1000x easier on my phone.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:12 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes to reading blogs, though I find Wordpress ones easier to add to the list, so I don't check the Blogger ones so often, but I do really enjoy yours, and jojo's and some other PPKers' when I remember to check. I tend not to comment on ones where there are already a few comments unless I feel I really have something to add. Maybe I should make more of an effort, but the captcha thing is a bit fiddly on this 7" tablet I'm having to use since my laptop went kaput.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'll echo everyone else: don't stop blogging, Amey! I've never been one for commenting on blogs, but I do read and enjoy them. Yours is one I particularly like and I will often go back and look at old post just because they are so lovely and also because they give me ideas for things to try.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:20 am 
Ninja Master

I'm the same I hardly ever get comments but my sitemeter tells me people are reading it.

I just discovered bloglovin which I like for reading blogs. I am guilty of not always commenting though.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

As to favourites, a lot I follow are local interest or UK focussed. For blogs you don't already have in your roll I enjoy http://alonghappylife.com/ who posts pretty often. She's (mostly?) vegan, married to an omni, and writes about her family, friends, business trips, a few recipes, just gives a nice overview really.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:21 am 
Cranky

I love your blog, Amey! I read a lot of blogs through my reader, and I hate clicking through for comments. My introversion inclines me to lurker mode anyway, but I'm usually reading at work, which means it's a short break between other things I'm doing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:08 am 
Chard Martyr

I think a lot of the lack of commenting might have to do with smart phones and tablets. I don't like typing on my phone, but I usually end up reading blogs on the bus on my phone or on the couch on my phone if I'm lazy, so I don't comment. Amey, your blog is one of the few that I read, and I love it! So colorful and fun and delicious and your drawings are amazing. Since the loss of google reader, it does help me to remember about blogs when they are linked to on facebook or twitter. so if there are some blogs that i don't read as much, it's because i just don't know when there's a new post.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:36 am 
WRETCHED

I am one who has never got into blogs. I'll read a blog if I am searching for something and find it on a blog but I've never commented on a blog. I didn't know comments were something that were expected?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

linanil wrote:
I am one who has never got into blogs. I'll read a blog if I am searching for something and find it on a blog but I've never commented on a blog. I didn't know comments were something that were expected?

Yeah, me either. I check a couple of literary blogs semi-regularly but that's more to keep in touch and current about writing stuff, submission theme calls, announcements, contests and events and not idle time where I'm just sort of looking for an intriguing blog to read. I just sort of check for any new announcements and see if there's anything of interest to me to mark on my calendar and move on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm with Linanil and SV. I will look up blog posts for recipes or projects or whatever, but I've never gotten very wrapped up in a single blog. I know there are some really great blogs out there (yours is definitely one of those, Amey!), but apparently being a regular reader just isn't my thing.

I think I've been checking out even less now, though, thanks to the super, super annoying trend of posting literally 25 or 30 pictures of a recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:54 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I feel you, Amey. I started blogging in 2011, and I was reading blogs for much longer than that, and it just seemed like everyone was so active and there was a lot of community around vegan blogging. Now, not so much! I am totally guilty of pretty much giving up my blog and doing Instagram posts instead, but I actually hate it because, like you said, there's no room for dialogue, story telling and so forth. I'd love so much to blog again but I'm not sure if I'd just be doing it for no one, like maybe no one actually would read it? Also, I'm not a big recipe writer, so a lot of what I post is linking to other people's recipes and so forth. But back when I was blogging, I was doing it to show a realistic portrait of what a vegan eats.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am 
Married to the wolfman

Yours is one of the only ones I read, because it shows up on my Facebook feed which reminds me to read it! Otherwise I think I just... Forget... About blogs.

And, well, you're right that the nature of the blog has changed a lot, and most of what it's changed to, I just don't like that much. I liked when people wrote long posts with like, personal content in them (another part of why I like your blog!). Now it seems like most blogs are like hey look at this shiny picture and here is a sentence to go with it and if it's a food blog maybe you'll get a recipe to go with it. Which is fine and all, but I can get that same experience from Instagram without having to remember to visit individual sites.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:05 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm a big blog reader, but I'm always too shy to comment. I start over at Vegan Crunk then read all the new posts on Bianca's blog roll, then hop over to Shen and do the same there, etc. etc. Hours can pass before I even look up from the computer! And Amey, I really love your blog :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:06 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wow, I was unaware that people reading blogs was going out of style. I guess its cause I never used a blog reader until a few months ago. I just subscribed to feedly, so I've been reading a lot of blogs as of late. I've never followed people's blogs before, though there were some I read regularly. Normally when I was reading vegan blogs i'd just go to one I liked, and then start clicking the links of the other ones I wanted to read on the side to open new tabs. Then I'd read through a few months back, and next time choose other ones and read the past few months back.

But yeah, the big budget looking professional style blogs don't catch me. I like to read blogs of people who are ppkers so I know kind of where they are coming from, that they are real people rather than companies. I also don't like it when the professinal type blogs are doing product reviews, cause its like, really? They dont need to try to sell me things I cant afford that they got for free.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

wow, you guys, I'm so glad I asked about this. So many interesting responses!

Yeah, I definitely think that moving towards tablets and smart phones results in both less blog production, and less blog commenting. I'm really happy to hear that a lot of you still read blogs! I always do a FB reminder when I publish a new post, just to remind people to check it out... and, like CQ said, I added a "subscribe by email" button, so people can get an email every time I do a new post.

I didn't realize how many people used Google Reader and what a change that has been. how interesting!!

And, Thank you all for such sweet words about my little blog!!! <3 I wasn't fishing for compliments, but I'll take 'em! ha ha! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

butterbobbin wrote:
Then again, I find it a real pain to comment on blogs on my iPod, so I rarely say anything myself.

this is so true... I usually use either our desktop or my husband's Chromebook if I want to be able to read and comment (like during MoFo).

It's so interesting to think that Blogger/Wordpress failing to quickly make commenting tablet-friendly might just be the beginning of their downfall.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mihl wrote:
Every year I am really looking forward to Vegan MoFo because then the spirit and community returns and it is just amazing.

me too, Mihl. <3

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lobsteriffic wrote:
...if there was something I wanted to say I would probably just say it on FB rather than the blog post because it's 1000x easier on my phone.

yes! I have noticed this - sometimes people on my FB post, and I like that too. :)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next