| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Did you do your homework?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:03 am 
***LIES!!!***

lavawitch wrote:
That's a lot of the rationale for flipping the classroom strategies where kids go home and watch lecture videos or do reading, then do the "homework" in class.

Conceptual physics isn't the same as general physics. General physics is algebra based. Conceptual physics is usually only taught in self-contained special education classes to act as a science requirement in modified diplomas. At least in this state it isn't considered a valid science course otherwise although some districts may offer it as an elective (but I don't think very many do these days).

The schools that run until 5 hopefully do not start at 7am.

We don't have anything called general physics here afaik. There's college prep physics (textbook is called conceptual physics, only math problems are plug and chug, i guess you could call that algebra), honors (includes trig), and ap. Special Ed kids don't usually take anything called physics because the state only requires 2.5 years of science. Requirements for science at the state level may have changed since I was teaching, though.

Some of the schools that end at 5 start at 7:30, but they include a breakfast period (and prayer).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:27 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I did what felt like the bare minimum, and yet my grades were still always pretty good.

seitanicverses wrote:
And when I say I went "rebellious" I think I was actually very depressed and it went unrecognized for what it was.

Me too. I skipped A LOT of school. My friends thought I was cool for getting away with it, and I led them to believe I was having fun, but half the time I would just drive around and cry.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I am really interested in this discussion. Essentially I really do believe that kids should have to do homework because it prepares them for jobs where they'll need to achieve balance in terms of taking work home. If I'm not feeling like I have completed my workday in however many hours I'm allotted, I'll definitely take it home. I don't think the world is against me when I do that no matter how disgruntled I might feel, and I've never quite understood the feeling that we should never work past a certain amount of hours. But I guess I like working?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:41 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I was one of those annoying people who didn't do much, but still got good grades. I went to school about half to two-thirds of the time, because I didn't really like it. I still enjoyed reading and learning, just not in a school environment. I still did any homework I was assigned, but if I was away when it was assigned I didn't do it. I did all my coursework (which is what we Brits call homework that actually counts towards your final grades) and I passed everything, most things with As and Bs.

Once I got to college (sixth form college, which is ages 16 to 18), I actually worked hard, because it was a really different environment and you got treated with more respect and such.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mars wrote:
It's pretty interesting to me, to read the stories from those of you who who... while being children(!), were motivated to want to do homework! Wow. I often wish I had been like that. I have felt so much apathy all my life... and now as an adult I still feel that same apathy, but I wish I didn't! But I guess that's just who I am. It's who I was then, and it's who I am now, and I guess I just have to learn ways to work with it!

Oh, the shiitake hit the fan for me in college! Turns out I could handle the really structured, read-the-textbook-and-answer-questions type of classes, but any kind of class where I was responsible for managing the workload on my own, no way. I barely passed the classes for my major until my senior year, when I flunked out of the program. I was depressed and didn't yet know that I have ADD. Being a "perfect" student doesn't automatically mean being successful at life!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:24 am 
Nooch of Earl

Around 5th grade or so, I would calculate how much homework I could not do and still squeak by with a B (the lowest grade that wouldn't have raised any parental red flags), and pitch the rest - it tended to be pretty pointless. At my second high school I would try, but honestly I just wasn't willing to spend more than about an hour a day on it. I much prefer to learn in my own direction and at my own pace, reading books or doing projects on my own.

Through jr. high, my biggest homework pet peeve was when we'd have to read a short YA novel - <200 pages usually - and do this idiotic craft project of a little booklet, where we'd be expected to write summaries of every. single. chapter. to prove that we'd read it. My problem was never not reading the book - I'd do that in an hour - it was that I just completely forgot to stop and write the summaries, and rather than go back and do it later I'd usually just blow it off.

The thing I thought was interesting was that when I got to (Dutch) graduate school, homework was just really not a thing. Sometimes professors would give some, but it was usually not graded and if it was it could only be used to improve our grade. Either our grade could be entirely based on the final exam or the homework would be considered for 20% or something if it helped to pull the grade up. This seems like it would be easier but it was actually WAY harder because you were expected to really know the material, and know it well, rather than being rewarded for effort. Oral exams were the toughest - a professor would just ask you stuff until you ran out of knowledge. I feel like my American elementary through university education left me wildly unprepared for this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

At Shae's middle school, homework amounts to about 30 minutes a night and maybe only 3 nights a week, except during the 2 major projects (science & history), but if kids managed their time, it could be done a little at a time too. I don't think they ask too much homework wise at all.

I remember in high school working until 9, and coming right home to do homework until midnight most nights, then being up at 5:30 to catch the 6:30 bus in the morning. I keep trying to prepare Shae for when actual school stress starts!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You know, I was always self motivated. My parents would have helped me with homework if I had asked or if I wasn't doing it, but I think my biggest motivation of doing what I was supposed to was so I wouldn't have to be looked after extra. I remember getting super annoyed when I was going to college and adults saying things to me like "your mom won't be there to wake you up in the morning!" And being super offended that they thought my mom woke me up for school ever. I got an alarm clock in second grade and used it every morning to wake up, get ready, eat breakfast and get out for the bus. I didn't want help. I would have hated help. Don't try to help me!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:26 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Disappearing Ink wrote:
I did all my coursework (which is what we Brits call homework that actually counts towards your final grades)
We call it homework here, not coursework. Coursework is what it's called by people who do GSCEs and A-Levels. We have a completely different system of education and qualifications in Scotland, a country in which many people consider themselves to be, and are regarded as, 'Brits'. /peeve

Anyhoo.

I'm sure I read somewhere that homework is supposed to be about 2 hours a night here in highschool? Maybe I just dreamed that though. I don't remember much of my homework in school (read a bit of Shakespeare? Learn something about the Yorkshire Dales? Use that fancy calculator in some way?) and when I got to be 16 we were allowed to write our own sick-notes so I pretty much just phoned it in, so to speak, from there on out. We generally leave highschool here at the latest at age 17 (and a lot of people have already qualified to go on to uni the year before), and I'm pretty sure my mum just resorted to bribing me to hand my essays in in the end.

Somewhat tangentially, I recently found some of my last year of high school exam papers (for Geography and English) and I have this vague recollection of a thread on here a while back where people were saying it was nuts to have teenagers sit in an exam for three hours... I found that weird at the time of the thread as I was pretty sure all of our exams aged 15-17 were 3 or so hours long, and yep, the papers confirm it.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Not only am I still doing homework, but it looks like I'll be doing it forever. (At least these days I'm getting paid...well, a bit.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:05 am 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I was obsessive about it in junior high and the first half of high school: color-coded post-its and highlighters, all my notes complete and organized in the exact same way or they were "useless", etc. But I didn't actually care too deeply about the grades, just the process. Then when it became overwhelming, I realized I could put less (or no) effort into everything and still get good grades. Dropped some AP classes, declined an invite to National Honor Society, and I still turned out okay.

Nowadays I have a dedicated, but realistic work ethic. When I commit to something by a certain date, I'll have it done, or communicate any changes. Simple.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I got to high school I had to pick and choose homework. I did it for the classes where it counted for a lot of my grade, or where I really needed it to learn the stuff. Like I always did the homework that consisted of reading the book in English class or History. But I was in all honors and AP classes and just didn't have time to complete every assignment and hold down the part time job I had. So since I spoke fluent Spanish already, I just didn't do the homework for Spanish class. I got a lower grade, but the 100% on all in class assignments, tests, and participation pretty much guaranteed a B.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i went to a school for nerds, and i don't remember doing a lot of homework. (it's possible we weren't assigned much? i even remember we were allotted time in english class to just sit and read the books.) we came from all over the city, so it's possible the school designed it that way. leave your books in your lockers, and just transport yourself to and fro. (at least that's what i did.)

i remember they left the doors to the auditorium unlocked so you could go in there and do any work you wanted to. i remember in my earlier years (when lunch wasn't the last period, so i had to stay the whole day) that i'd sit in the hallway with friends and possibly do some homework? but honestly, i don't remember. (it was *so* long ago)

this seemed to disadvantage me in college. i was expecting to be able to learn everything in class, but that wasn't how it was designed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I did homework and attended classes religiously up until 9th grade. Then I realized I could do the homework instead of attending classes, making more time available for playing pool, hanging out at the park, or reading. I went to the hands-on classes (band and art) regularly, but the rest were irregular and I spent much of the time I was in them reading or drawing.

I was a straight-A student in highschool, but I sold homework sets to the footballers who had to keep up their GPA (I'd do it so they would get a B or a C, they just had to copy it down since they couldn't turn in my photocopy) and I paid people to mark me present in classes (students filled out the attendance sheets, not teachers). Somehow, it worked out okay. My teachers mostly liked me even though I didn't show up more than 2-3 days out of 5 for most of their classes.

Unfortunately, I had trouble implementing the "I'll do my work, but don't need to have my asparagus in your chair 40 hours a week" thing at my office job. So many hours wasted sitting in that chair! I've since quit and am doing consulting/freelance work now which fits much better with the life lessons from high school about work/effort/time/attendance.