It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which hand do you use?
Left 39%  39%  [ 14 ]
Ambidextrous 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Right 50%  50%  [ 18 ]
Other 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: Are you lefthanded? What's annoying?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:41 am 
Discovered unobtainium

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos ... ded-people

12, 14, and 18 made me laugh.

1 and 2 are silly to whine about: just flip that shiitake over and use it with rings on the right. I did have middle school teacher crassholes who complained about "non standard" notebook paper though.

12 mostly made me cry though. My back pain first started after a night class 3 hours a week contorted into a desk too small for me because I was also fat. After about two months, I started having severe back spasms. I know that didn't cause all my current problems, but I'm convinced it helped accelerate it because I haven't been pain free since.

I would add water fountains to that list. In high school, those had the handle on the left, so you had to move all your books or backpack to use it.

So, how many PPKers are on the sinister side of things?

Post subject: Re: Are you lefthanded? What's annoying?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am 
Discovered unobtainium

(Molly usually eats with her left claw; I'm so proud.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

5,6,7,13 & 17 are the only things to have ever bothered me on this. Oh, well 2 was annoying too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

SUPER LEFTY!

Link to standard handedness questionnaire, in case you want to know how dominant (or not) your dominant hand is: http://www.brainmapping.org/shared/Edinburgh.php

5, 6, 7 (usually ended hilarious, buuut), OMG 12 and 13, 14, 17. THere are more, obvs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Neat! I got a -86.67 for all 15. I can't use scissors in my left hand at all; school never had them. I drink with both hands, I mean you have to if you ever drink while driving.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 am 

So, in my job I make bouquets a lot. And I make them and hold them the whole time in my left hand. Well I also have to write price forms for the customer so they can pay, and often customers will come up and get one for something else while I'm currently making a bouquet for someone else. So I've got this technique down where I write with my right hand to do so. It looks totally sketch and like I'm a child, and is quite slow. So customers look at me with this 'hmm...' judging look to them, and sometimes I've said 'oh, I'm writing with my right hand', which I think just makes it worse because they can see that and it seems normal. But it feels so useless and silly to explain so I usually just let them think whatever about my skills as a functioning adult.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't get how 1 and 2 are only annoying for left-handed people. Are the list-makers just incapable of writing on both sides of the paper? Writing on the reverse side of a page is exactly as annoying for right-handers.

Car cup holders are on the left here, though! It's never bothered me but I guess I'm usually too busy driving to worry excessively about beverages or the plight that they bring to my driving experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:28 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I scored a zero on the test... There are things I always do with my right hand (like writing, I can write with my left but it's slow) and things I always do with my left hand (I can't put on a bottle screw cap with my right hand). I'm so glad #12 desks don't exist here because that has to be the dumbest design ever. I've never seen #16 as we use PIN over here. Card slots on the right side can be annoying, though. My old job used locks like that. The worst were the ones where the keypad was on the right side of the door, talk about awkward. Also unnecessarily right handed touchscreens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:07 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm totally left handed, my right hand is terrible. I remember at school I wasn't allowed to do things like javelin and shotput etc as they judged that left handed people were "dangerous" doing those things. What I find annoying is operating my camera with my right hand. I could be much more precise if I used my left but nope!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 am 

vixki wrote:
I'm totally left handed, my right hand is terrible. I remember at school I wasn't allowed to do things like javelin and shotput etc as they judged that left handed people were "dangerous" doing those things. What I find annoying is operating my camera with my right hand. I could be much more precise if I used my left but nope!

Agreed! Even swiping on my i-products and, I don't know, general one-handed tech interaction/button stuff would be so much easier if there flopped options for lefties.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lutin wrote:
vixki wrote:

Agreed! Even swiping on my i-products and, I don't know, general one-handed tech interaction/button stuff would be so much easier if there flopped options for lefties.

Yeah. The other day my leftie friend posted an apology on facebook - "Sorry if I 'like' inappropriate statuses, but as a lefty, it's so easy to click "like" when scrolling down" - which is so true! So many times I've just been scrolling away with my thumb...and bang I just liked the status about their grandma going into hospital *blush*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

These are awesome! I always wondered why I was so picky about ballpoint pens--and to me, gel shiitake is even worse.

Also, yes to the electronics/i-stuff!

Another annoying thing is that whenever I use a broom, mop, fancy tools or something like that that has parts that screw on together, I'm ALWAYS unscrewing them as I use them. So I'll be in mid-mop of the kitchen floor and the damn thing falls apart in my hands! Grrr... lesson learned: I should NOT be the one doing the cleaning...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:29 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I'm now curious about how other people use measuring cups. I'm right-handed, but I always hold the cup with my left hand and pour with my right hand. Which leaves me annoyed that I have to set it down and turn it around to look at the U.S. measurements.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:35 pm 

hopshackgirl wrote:
So I'll be in mid-mop of the kitchen floor and the damn thing falls apart in my hands!

Yes!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm 

mollyjade wrote:
I'm now curious about how other people use measuring cups. I'm right-handed, but I always hold the cup with my left hand and pour with my right hand. Which leaves me annoyed that I have to set it down and turn it around to look at the U.S. measurements.

Depends on what I'm measuring and if I want US or metric measurements (also mine shows cups if I hold it in my left hand)! What does annoy me is that my kettle only has a water gauge on the side you see if you hold the kettle in your right hand, which I never do (especially not while filling it with cold tap water).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:52 pm 

fruitbat wrote:
hopshackgirl wrote:
So I'll be in mid-mop of the kitchen floor and the damn thing falls apart in my hands!

Yes!

Huh, this doesn't happen to right-handed people? I always just thought keeping those screwed tight was just something you had to do as you went, for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I can't even use a lighter with my right hand. Last year, I sprained my left wrist bad enough that I had to wear a wrist brace, and when I had to work I had to take phone messages in a spreadsheet on my computer because I couldn't write at all.

I actually went to Walmart for the second time in about five years to get an electric can opener because Target only had manual ones, and my response to this is 'nope nope nope nope'.

I never thought about the measuring cup thing and I didn't know that about ball point pens, no wonder I hate them so much!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:15 pm 

Mars wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
hopshackgirl wrote:

Yes!

Huh, this doesn't happen to right-handed people? I always just thought keeping those screwed tight was just something you had to do as you went, for everyone.

The More You Know™.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

Mars wrote:
fruitbat wrote:
hopshackgirl wrote:

Yes!

I'm right-handed and my broom and rake come unscrewed every time I use them.

mollyjade wrote:

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Husband's sinister, I'm not. For us an annoying thing is having to keep two of everything like scissors and knives. And all the leftie stuff has to be ordered online becauase stores don't carry it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:19 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I can't even use a lighter with my right hand.

I will almost always use my right hand with lighters, but my left hand for striking matches. I could do either, I just don't. I also always use my left hand for eating with a spoon, but will use either for a fork. My typical response to the question "are you lefthanded or righthanded?" is "not really, but sort of righthanded".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's like my right hand belongs to another body. I can type with it and carry stuff but anything that really requires fine motor skills makes me feel like i'm using an alien zombie hand.

Also I hate that I can't hang my left arm out of the window while I drive without feeling like i'm not in control of the car.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:00 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My (also left-handed) brother told me about the ballpoint pen thing a while back and it blew my mind. I absolutely hate writing with them because they make my handwriting look bad, but I love drawing with them. Probably because drawing you can still pull instead of push the pen, even if you're a lefty.

For notebooks and binders, I have a whole system. First, I write with my paper almost entirely sideways, with the left edge toward the bottom. Second, I take my looseleaf paper out of the binder to take notes and use the binder as a writing surfaces. This way I avoid the spine of a notebook on my wrist and having to negotiate binder rings.

THOSE DESKS THOUGH.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

My mom is a leftie, and 5,6, and 7 are her biggest peeves (or at least, the ones she's the most vocal about). I'm right-handed and can do basically nothing at all with my left hand, but I do drive with my left hand on the steering wheel more than my right.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

vixki wrote:
lutin wrote:
vixki wrote:

Yeah. The other day my leftie friend posted an apology on facebook - "Sorry if I 'like' inappropriate statuses, but as a lefty, it's so easy to click "like" when scrolling down" - which is so true! So many times I've just been scrolling away with my thumb...and bang I just liked the status about their grandma going into hospital *blush*

Huh. Reading this just made me notice that although I'm pretty much dominantly a righty, I scroll with my left hand, especially on my Ipad when both hands are free. (On my phone I scroll righty because I hold the phone with my left hand.) This is particularly frustrating when I'm reading comments on something and end up repeatedly clicking on commenters' profiles by accident.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona