| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

We didn't do any vacuuming again for a whole month, so I caved in and bought the cheapest roomba model. We just let it do it's thing in the living room and I can already tell I'm gonna love this gizmo a lot. Watching it vacuum the house without me gives a deep feeling of satisfaction, even though I know it's far from perfect and I'll still have to clean beast after it's done its job. It will also motivate me to keep the place tidy, because the roomba can't do its job very well if there is random junk everywhere. This might end up to be our best purchase of the year!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I envisage lots of roomba riding kitty videos in your future, Cornelie.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

What do you guys do for pet hair? One of my cats LOVES one of our chairs, which is great, except that it's always covered in cat fur. I have a brush mitt thing that gets it mostly off, but I'd love to find a vacuum or something that will do a more thorough job. Something hand-held would be ideal, since we don't have carpet in the rest of our place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I use colorful fleece blankets/other pretty but easily washable throws for pet fur, because then you can just wash them. Although I really don't have too much of a problem with fur on furniture (Harley + our carpet is a nightmare, though) because Gozer's preferred napping place is either my lap, my desk, or Chester's old dog bed next to my desk (which is flat so I actually just vacuum it).

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

lepelaar wrote:
I envisage lots of roomba riding kitty videos in your future, Cornelie.

I think so too. She was already tracking it around the room this afternoon. Not quite brave enough to get up close, but she'll want to investigate more soon. David and I were laughing our heads off. It was almost like she thought the roomba is some kind of weird electronic kitty.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:43 am 
Dead by dawn

Finally some progress at my house! Biker boy's house is just about ready to put on the market so we've been able to spend a little time over here getting stuff organized. Seven of the eight bikes are up on the wall in the garage, with the newest addition still in the box:

At at the front of the garage we are getting my tv (which is the smaller of our two) and his dvd player (which is the crappier of our two) set up so that we can ride the trainers in the garage with entertainment. No more bike-on-trainer permanently in the space between my living and dining room!

Now that the garage is 95% done (we still have to organize the stuff that's occupying all the shelving units to maximize the use of that space... right now stuff is just crammed in willy-nilly) we can turn our attention to the inside. Biker boy still has some stuff in boxes and the downstairs bedroom is stuffed with stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Right, I'm about to get back on track. Today I bagged all of my aunts stuff ready for moving. There was some fairly disgusting things in there that I don't think I should post photos of!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:26 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Everythings gone mouldy!! Chest of drawers and bedside table have suddenly turned to being huge mould things and it's got on a load of clothes. Wardrobe is starting to go bad too, and I noticed today the bookshelf and a few of my books have mould on them too. This is not through lack of cleaning,I keep things clean enough, but the house is SO damp...literally puddles from condensation sometimes. I dont' know what to do. Going to have to buy new chest of drawers etc, get rid of some books - poss clothes if they don't wash ok, I've cleaned a lot of mould but it's everywhere, in bathroom, under fridge, etc etc etc. Freaking out!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have a very damp house in a very damp city. I have also lived in cities with monsoons. Several things have helped:

- not hanging the laundry indoors to dry, or if I have no choice, opening a window and creating lots of drafts to get that moisture out asap. This was a huge contributor. Consider getting larger loads (like sheets and towels) washed and dried at a launderette.
- keeping the bedroom windows open on a crack at night for as long as the weather allows, and airing well in the morning;
- chemical dehumidifiers in closets. I got mine at a random DYI store;
- charcoal in closets (in old dehumidifier boxes, but any mesh container should work) for odor absorption;
- keeping the bathroom ventilation fully functional, cleaning the inlet regularly (pet hair is a killer), and running that fan for longer than it seems necessary.

Good luck. I hate mold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Cheers. It's starting to get too rainy to hang stuff out here and I think that's coincided with the mould problems forming, hanging things inside. Our bathroom has no ventilation except a small window which I think is a big problem, it gets so damp in there. No fan or anything. This is the first autumn/winter we've spent in this house and so not used to all these problems! I'm going to start opening the windows a little to try and let some air in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 am 
Seagull of the PPK

we also have huge mold problems in the winter. we open windows as often as we can, try to dry clothes outside if at all possible (or, lacking that, on a rack in the part of the house where mold is the least problematic, like my kitchen, where mold can't grow on the tiles), and tend to have to use bleach or vinegar and peroxide to clean off the mold from walls and other things every few weeks. try to keep cabinets and such closed most of the time, with the moisture absorbing pots (or clothes sealed in airtight bags). Iam seeing if i can bring back a SMALL mechanical dehumidifier with me, since the machines are nonexistent at home for some reason.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:29 pm 
Cranky

If you can't change the humidity with dehumidifiers, focus on airflow. It's hard to mold to grow if the air is constantly circulating. Fans are your friend! (Says an archivist who works in a building with RH of about 80% in the summer.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 pm 

I'm glad you posted about the mold, because soon after I read it, I was cleaning the bathroom we shower in and found little mold spots around the underside of the toilet seat! That's the first time i've seen them since we've moved, I take pretty steamy showers and we haven't been able to have the window open in there as much as we normally would because it's been either too hot or too cold. I feel less gross knowing that this is a thing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

monkeytoes wrote:
Finally some progress at my house! Biker boy's house is just about ready to put on the market so we've been able to spend a little time over here getting stuff organized. Seven of the eight bikes are up on the wall in the garage, with the newest addition still in the box:

At at the front of the garage we are getting my tv (which is the smaller of our two) and his dvd player (which is the crappier of our two) set up so that we can ride the trainers in the garage with entertainment. No more bike-on-trainer permanently in the space between my living and dining room!

Now that the garage is 95% done (we still have to organize the stuff that's occupying all the shelving units to maximize the use of that space... right now stuff is just crammed in willy-nilly) we can turn our attention to the inside. Biker boy still has some stuff in boxes and the downstairs bedroom is stuffed with stuff.

I am flailing in envy over your EIGHT combined bikes. Wow!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm moving into a new place at the end of the month (was supposed to be the beginning of the month, and I'm already out of my old place, but the move-in date keeps getting pushed back). I'm really good at concrete things that need to be done - dishes don't sit, bathroom stays clean, clean clothes get put away immediately. I'm *terrible* at the more abstract/periodic stuff. Vacuuming? I just did that like...a while ago. Dusting? Well, there's not a lot of dust, really....ok, now there's too much dust, and it would be a big production. Papers? Well, I don't really have a place to put them all, so it would just be moving the stacks around..... I also don't so much with the decorating. In the 3.5 years I was in my last place, I managed to put up 1 piece of art. Except I really didn't even do that, my boyfriend got tired of seeing it leaning against the wall, so he hung it.

I'm so nervous and excited for the new place. It's a clean slate, a chance to keep things organized, to decorate it, to stay on top of the cleaning, vacumming, dusting, etc. I'm nervous that it's going to be the same ish all over again. That I'll wake up in 3.5 years (or however long I'm there), and have rain spots on the windowsills, cobwebs on the walls, etc. etc. I'm gonna ask my ex (who is great at organization and decorating) to help me get a system in place, and maybe make use of the checklists here: http://www.aslobcomesclean.com/2012/01/printable-household-cleaning-checklists/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm 

I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have pets I would never vacuum. And if we didn't have Harley I would vacuum like...once a month. MAYBE. In our house in Tennessee, I remembered to clean the baseboards when I was thinking in the bathroom and staring right at a wall.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 am 
Saggy Butt

has anyone posted this dehumidifier yet: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0 ... UTF8&psc=1
(sorry, i'm too exhausted to read back all the pages again.) it's the eva-dry petite dehumidifier

I have a tiny bathroom and it fits on the counter (by the only outlet, but I don't keep a ton of stuff in there anyway). it's easy to empty and clean. it's pretty quiet, but i also run the fan constantly, because i live in a basement, in DC, and my shower is currently leaking and i'm waiting to get it fixed. (once it gets fixed I won't be running the fan all the time.)

what I did in the summer, because even with a not leaky shower it's like 500% humidity is to have a small oscillating fan propped up on a box that I would run after a shower to help dry everything off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just learned that it's pretty common not to regularly do those "sometimes" tasks. (My partner recently informed me that I have pretty high standards for "clean".) Between having hardwood floors and little kids, I have to sweep all the time, so I notice the cupboards and baseboards and wipe them somewhat regularly. I try to take care of all the loose papers at least once a month - I just really hate clutter! It stresses me out to have stacks of things everywhere. Definitely not as tidy in my home as I'd like it, but I have two kids five and younger, so that's a bit of an unrealistic expectation for now.

Anyway, I have made some slight progress! I need to take some after pictures and post! I still need to organize and tidy some desk-y type stuff, but I'm still without a desk. I do have some shelves that I think could mostly take care of that stuff for now though. I cleaned out all my files, disassembled our broken futon (which is now waiting for a ride to the dump, which can only happen on a Saturday, when the dump is open, we're not working, and our pal with a truck is around, agh!), tidied the kids' items a bit, replaced all the knobs on my son's dresser, hung up some pictures, and relocated a shelf. Weeeeeee!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I seem to have somewhat stagnated in the unpacking. This is partly due to the fact that I still need to get some furniture and storage units. I am pleased at the level of relative tidiness I'm managing to keep, making sure everything has a home and putting things where they belong. (This is a major triumph for me!) Some areas still need better organization (like within the bathroom drawers and in the utility room) but I'm working on getting organizational systems in place where that's the case. (Dog bless Ikea!)

I haven't been keeping up with actual cleaning as much as I'd like (except in the kitchen where I'm making up for having the world's grossest kitchen in my old place). But having said that, just the fact that things are tidy makes the idea of cleaning not feel overwhelming. Like I could easily dust/vacuum/mop whenever the mood strikes or when I know I'm having visitors, and it wouldn't be too huge of a deal.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am amazed how you are willing to live somewhere with mould problems! Also that you have fans, outlets and windows in your bathrooms... OK windows I've had too, in maybe 20% of the flats I've lived in (bathroom windows that is, I have not been living in bunkers).

I really need to clear off my coffee table. Currently it's a ginomous mess of books, paperwork, nail polish, random cords/chargers, an almost burned down candle, a pack of painkillers, body lotion, an online banking thingie... in other words: it's a clutter magnet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Update on our junk room. I sold the tables. We moved the giant saw into the garage/workshop. Last weekend we went through all our books (currently in the guest room) and got rid of six paper grocery bags full of books. This weekend we're going to move my elliptical in. And then we're buying new bookshelves and moving the books into that room.

And I've scheduled someone to come look at the roof leak in that room.

ETA thank you for the small dehumidifier recommendation. We have two bathrooms and neither one has either an exhaust fan or a window. That's something I know to look for now for our next house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Although I mostly live at my partner's place, I still have a small apartment that I rented out to a cousin for a while. I want to sell that apartment now, which means it has to be cleaned, painted white (apparently people don't like yellow walls...) and all my stuff that is still there either has to be crammed into our shared house or gotten rid off. We don't have a car, so I'm very grateful that my parents came over this weekend to help us move some of the stuff and paint. The whole place is painted now and most of my stuff apart from the furniture has been moved. We're almost ready for potential buyers.

As a result there is a huge pile of boxes and bags in the living room of our shared apartment. It's only 180 square feet, so not a lot of space for two people and their possessions. It won't all fit, so I'm planning to let go of at least a third of my clothes/books/knickknacks and give them to the thrift store. It's not too hard, since I haven't used most of this stuff in over two years, but the 'I might still need this' voice in my head is pretty strong. Trying to go trough one or two boxes every night, so this pile in the middle of the house will hopefully be gone somewhere next week.

Here's to hoping someone will want to buy my old place soon!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Rock on, Cornelie! Three cheers for having prepped the other place for potential buyers + for being so dedicated about getting rid of stuff (and boxes) in the new place. Can you take pictures of the furniture for markplatz, or is that earmarked for thrift shops as well? (In any case, I'm sure those shops will be thrilled at your delivery!)

You, too, lepelaar! I'm thrilled to pieces that you have an organizational system that works + are largely undaunted by future cleanings. Organizing a house of stuff takes work, especially if you have to do a culture swap for space use. (Danish spaces make intuitive sense to me. When I moved to NL, it took me about 6 months to figure out where and how to keep stuff, the place was so awkward. So even though Belgium and NL are "close", I'd still give yourself some slack for having to deal with that.) (I am also secretly thrilled that your good habits are slowly rubbing off on your partner.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

My awesome story is that I've been at NatureBoy's for 10 days, cleaning things up as I go. That means that when I make a mess, anywhere, I immediately clean it up once I'm "done", as I would if I were at home, not that I clean up his stuff. Anyway, cleaning-by-example must work because he's started to pick up the habit, and even cleaned all of the windows last night (on the outside!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

lutin wrote:
Rock on, Cornelie! Three cheers for having prepped the other place for potential buyers + for being so dedicated about getting rid of stuff (and boxes) in the new place. Can you take pictures of the furniture for markplatz, or is that earmarked for thrift shops as well? (In any case, I'm sure those shops will be thrilled at your delivery!)

The furniture has to stay in my old apartment for a bit so it is still sort of 'dressed up' when potential buyers want to have a look. I'm offering all of it for sale along with the apartment because that would be the easiest way to get rid of it. It's mostly IKEA stuff, so low emotional attachment and price. If the buyers don't want it, some of it can go to our shared house and some can go to my parents and other family/friends. The rest will probably go to the thrift store, since it's not worth a whole lot.

Also I like giving back to the system this way. A lot of my stuff is from second hand markets, thrift stores, 'garbage' clusters on the streets of Amsterdam or gifted to me by people who didn't need it anymore. I am not an always-strapped-for-cash student anymore, so I can be the person who gives her nice but superfluous stuff to other people now.

And Yay for NatureBoy picking up your tidyness habits! Good for him, and good for you being a successful role model :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next