| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar wrote:
I need a couch and coffee table/end tables. The plan is to get ones with shelves underneath that I can put storage baskets in.

I have a few of those wicker storage basket/cube things from Ikea and they're pretty great. There's one in the laundry where I throw all our miscellaneous screwdrivers and stuff, and a couple in the bottom of my bookcases (also Ikea, the Hemnes ones) and they're great for storing things like dog toys and throw blankets. It's nice to have them close by but also out of sight.

I also have a ton of books (two big Hemnes bookcases full of novels, and an Expedit case that's mostly full of cookbooks) and I organise them by colour. You can kind of see some of them here. It seems weird but I think it makes the books look neater and more decorative, rather than cluttered and distracting. I'm also one of those people that remembers what each book I buy looks like so I find it really easy to find stuff. And people always comment on it!

This afternoon I'm planning on actually taking my piles of 'for donation' clothes out of the house and to their respective donation places. The nice work stuff that doesn't fit is going to an organisation near my office that provides outfits for refugee women for job interviews, and the rest will go to the charity op shop. I also have a pile of vintage and other stuff that's still in good condition, but just doesn't fit anymore, which I've been meaning to take photos of to sell online. I think this weekend I'll attempt to get over my 'but that's boring and annoying' mindset and just do it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

This morning I cleaned/tidied the utility room (before photos upthread). It took me about two hours in twenty minute bursts (probably would have been less time if it hadn't been so disgustingly filthy under all the junk).

I threw out two huge bags of rubbish (most of it was beyond recycling) and found homes for almost everything else.

This was the most horrible junk filled room, so I feel optimistic about the rest of the house now, which mainly just needs decluttering then basic housework.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Way to go, jogirl! Sounds like you tackled a tough room.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:02 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Erinnerung, those were exactly the storage baskets I was thinking of. And I've got my eye on the Expedit series of bookcases.

Jogirl, that looks great!! I know what you mean about feeling optimistic after tackling the worst area. The spare bedroom in my old place was an absolute pit and it was one of the first areas I tackled in anticipation of the move. Getting that done in a few hours gave me hope for getting the rest done.

RE: parents and habits, I love my (neat-freak) mom, and I am incredibly grateful for the help she gave me in decluttering and packing for the move (seriously, she came over day after day and helped me take stuff to trash and recycling, and was really good at packing boxes efficiently) but it came at a price. Shaming. Like every day, she repeatedly made comments along the lines of "How can you live like this?" and "I don't understand why you have so much stuff" and when I got rid of stuff she'd say "You still have too much stuff". I'd hear "How did you let it get this bad?" and "You're not going to let it get this messy/dirty in your new place, are you?" I told her repeatedly that I didn't appreciate the comments and even that they made me feel bad about myself, but she just can't seem to help herself. Still, like I said, she helped me a shiitake load and I don't think I could have done it without her.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Your books in colour collections look really great Erinnerung. If I did that I'd never find anything though!

Well done to everyone who's managed to tackle a room or made a start. The photos are lovely to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:47 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Jogirl, there's something calming about a tidy workspace.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:03 am 

mollyjade wrote:
Jogirl, there's something calming about a tidy workspace.

There is! I've just put the clean curtain back up (it's really hot today so it dried very quickly) and I stood there for a minute just absorbing the serenity of it all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:47 pm 
Dead by dawn

I am a reformed slob. We had a thread like this on the old boards, before I bought my house and what I think it came down to a lot of the time was that I just didn't "see" the mess. Besides that, my biggest problems were procrastination and owning too much stuff. When I bought my house, I did a major purge while packing for the move, so that helped. But the biggest help, by far, has been regularly having people over. I love my house and I knew moving in that I wanted to keep it nicer than I'd ever been able to keep a place before, but didn't know if I could. I had my family over for dinner regularly and just made sure to invite people over often. Now I do see the mess because I think, over time, I have started seeing what my space looks like to someone else walking in. Keeping it so that it's (usually, anyway) 15-30 minutes away from being guest-ready means never getting too overwhelmed by what needs to be done. Now that biker boy has moved in temporarily, I'm realizing that I still own way, way too much stuff. If we are going to live together permanently both of us will need to pare down. My house is 1360 square feet and his is even smaller so either place we live in the short term will be a challenge. So, that's my focus now, I guess: How to maximize storage space and minimize excess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well done Jogirl! That looks great now.

I didn't do anything today because I was away from home for 13hours between work and visiting my cousins. I'm taking tomorrow evening off from visiting so I will have time for some cooking and cleaning.
I might pack the electrical items and empty paint containers into my car for disposal on Friday at lunchtime. If I do that then that will be a massive load of junk gone..... 1 TV, 2 laptops, a lawnmower, a lamp, numerous phone chargers and 5 paint containers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:05 pm 

Monkeytoes I totally have that blind spot thing going on most of the time! But actually it's making cleaning exciting because I'm finding things I'd forgotten about owning! E.g. someone gave me a 'cherry chomper' which is this cute little anthropomorphized thing, you put cherries in what I suppose is its neck and push its head down and the stones go in its belly. Pretty useless but cute - I've decided to put it on my partially cleared kitchen windowsill as it makes me smile. It was hiding among my recycling, I probably caught a glimpse of a section of it every day for possibly over a year but because I was scared of/ignoring the pile I didn't consciously see any of that stuff.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moving to another country allowed me to purge more than I ever would have had I stayed in the U.S., but it was a struggle settling into my boyfriend's place when I first arrive in The Netherlands. He had a ton of stuff and also had a "I might need that one day" mentality. It's still very much a work in progress, but we regularly donate things to the thrift stores and get rid of things we don't need. I'm still a kitchen supply hoarder. Unlike Isa, I am still holding onto the dream that I WILL use my ravioli press one day. I'm also a clothes/t-shirt hoarder like MBM. For me I always think "well, that could be a night shirt or something to work out in," and so I keep it. I bought a lot of new clothes here in the U.S. - things I feel more comfortable in and that actually fits me well - so I'm determined to get rid of the things I do not wear. My closet is step number one next month.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
I really like the Apartment Therapy home cure they do every year. I don't follow the challenge per se,but there are a lot of great ideas for dealing with the stuff of a home. One idea I'm using is to take a tub or box and put the stuff I'm unsure about getting rid of in it. You tape it up and put a date six months from now on it. If you haven't needed any of that stuff in six months, get rid of it. We did that with all of the cables and wires my bf had laying around.

Also, I just saw this article from AT: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/crazy-i ... ner-173474

I like the deploy-all-trash-bags-at-once idea, and I'm doing a version of the change jar with all the money I'm finding round the house. When I'm close to done I'm going to break it open and get a treat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:52 pm 

dropscone wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
I really like the Apartment Therapy home cure they do every year. I don't follow the challenge per se,but there are a lot of great ideas for dealing with the stuff of a home. One idea I'm using is to take a tub or box and put the stuff I'm unsure about getting rid of in it. You tape it up and put a date six months from now on it. If you haven't needed any of that stuff in six months, get rid of it. We did that with all of the cables and wires my bf had laying around.

Also, I just saw this article from AT: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/crazy-i ... ner-173474

I like the deploy-all-trash-bags-at-once idea, and I'm doing a version of the change jar with all the money I'm finding round the house. When I'm close to done I'm going to break it open and get a treat.

My husband makes fun of me because I'm always following him around the house and putting the change he leaves everywhere (EVERYWHERE) in a jar. But we now have a fun tradition of taking the jar to a change machine and using all the money for dates. Whoever guesses closest to the total gets to pick the first date.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Slow but steady progress. I've been listening to audio books while I work, and that keeps me from getting too bored. I also made a cleaning/uncluttering checklist with very small steps that I can check off as I go along. I don't know why, but I love being able to cross things off lists.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

http://www.chorewars.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm 

fruitbat wrote:
http://www.chorewars.com/

Oh yes, I am liking this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My parents are kind of hoarders, and so is my father-in-law in his own weird way. He keeps every box his electronics comes in 'just in case', even after he is no long using said device. This influences my 'get rid of this shiitake now' spurts a LOT.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:35 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

lepelaar wrote:
Yay, daisychain!

I decided to tackle the boxes of books today.

Before:

After:

I wasn't able to unpack all of them, because I don't have enough bookcases yet, but the ones I can't put away now have been sorted. The ones for my office have been put upstairs in boxes, and the rest of the boxes have been put aside so they're not in the way. The two boxes that are still visible in the pictures are DVDs. Still haven't decided how I want to store/display those.

Yay! You're an inspiration!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

jogirl wrote:
This morning I cleaned/tidied the utility room (before photos upthread). It took me about two hours in twenty minute bursts (probably would have been less time if it hadn't been so disgustingly filthy under all the junk).

I threw out two huge bags of rubbish (most of it was beyond recycling) and found homes for almost everything else.

This was the most horrible junk filled room, so I feel optimistic about the rest of the house now, which mainly just needs decluttering then basic housework.

Looks great! Your before photos aren't showing up, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:16 am 

IsaChandra wrote:
Looks great! Your before photos aren't showing up, though.

Gah! I thought I'd fixed that. Here is one of the "before" photos (hope this one shows):

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Awesome thread! I've been lurking here for a bit, so it's time I post something.

Our small apartment is relatively tidy, but there is definitely room for improvement. I used to leave the unwashed dishes on the counter until all the clean ones were gone and it took at least an hour to get get everything clean again. For the past week and a half, I've been doing dishes at least once, often twice a day. I thought I'd find it very tedious to do dishes all the time, but it's done before you know it since it's only a few plates and a pot and not all dried and crusty like they used to be. I feel very accomplished and there is so much more space on my counter now!

I also went trough some of my books, magazines and clothes and filled one bag for recycling and four bags for the thrift store. Most of it was pregan vegetarian cookbooks, woolen sweaters and some shoes that I don't really need or want to wear anymore, but I wasn't ready to get rid of them before because 'what if I might need them in the future'. I have plenty of vegan cookbooks, sweaters and shoes now, so that stuff can go live with other people. My partner also agreed to let go of a few books, dress shirts, shoes and old computer. Our local thrift store actually has an awesome service where you can register online to have them pick up your stuff, so we will be a little lighter in a few days.

If I could only find a fix for our vacuuming issues. Mr Cornelie can't really vacuum cause it hurts his back, and I hate doing it, so it usually gets done about once a month, when the kitty hair tumbleweeds really start to take over and/or we are having visitors. Anybody have magic words of inspiration for that? What are the benefits of vacuuming more often, other than not having massive amounts of dust and cat hair catching on your socks?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:13 am 

Instead of vacuuming more, what if you brushed the cats more?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mollyjade wrote:

Oops, you caught me! We have only one short haired kitty, but she does not like to be brushed. Maybe I should try harder, but she walks away from me as soon as I take her brush out. It's weird cause she loves to be petted. I guess she prefers cleaning herself.

The tumbleweeds are not just her hair though, it's also my own long hair and dust from the bed and laundry, what you'd expect in a house that's only vacuumed once a month. It helps that the weather is nice now, so I can dry the laundry outside. I've been thinking, maybe I should get a swiffer type of gadget to do 'maintenance' sweeps. It's easier to get out of the closet and is not as heavy to lug around the house as a vacuum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:09 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Maybe consider a robotic vacuum cleaner for maintenance? Keeping the vacuum in an easily accessible spot probably helps too. For me the biggest hurdle was the noise so getting an ultrasilencer vacuum helped a lot. I no longer hate vacuuming!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:21 pm 

Cornelie wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

Oops, you caught me! We have only one short haired kitty, but she does not like to be brushed. Maybe I should try harder, but she walks away from me as soon as I take her brush out. It's weird cause she loves to be petted. I guess she prefers cleaning herself.

The tumbleweeds are not just her hair though, it's also my own long hair and dust from the bed and laundry, what you'd expect in a house that's only vacuumed once a month. It helps that the weather is nice now, so I can dry the laundry outside. I've been thinking, maybe I should get a swiffer type of gadget to do 'maintenance' sweeps. It's easier to get out of the closet and is not as heavy to lug around the house as a vacuum.

Or a carpet sweeper? I just found a really inexpensive one with great reviews and I'm going to get it tomorrow. I seem to shed a lot of hair!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 570 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next