| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm caught up on laundry and dishes! Woo hoo!

I've discovered that I have just enough time to come home for lunch, do a load of laundry, and hang it on the line. Then it's dry by the time I get home from work. Gone are the days of laundry being a big weekend project. I'm excited.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:06 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i miss my small, easily tidied house with no storage space.
now, staying at my mother's huge house with 4 rooms for each resident, and years of disorder, my mother has asked for help organizing the garage, the basement, and a few rooms.
every cleaning effort ends with "but we can still use that." An attempt to give a literally broken-in-half golf cart to the neighbor is "but the wheels turn! we can use it!".
anything we actually need, and i go find in the basement, merits an immediate "but i'm using that!" not in the basement you weren't.
the garage, i basically just moved everything, swept, and put it all back, which i suppose was a small improvement at least.

i am starting to feel we are only about three months from a hoarding TV show. luckily there was a flood a few years ago and everything in the basement had to be tossed. even so, this week i came across a box of canary seed. my mother stopped keeping canaries when my sister was born (*30 years ago* and 5 moves ago). this was from that time. i jokingly showed her and said "you know, this should go" (it was unsealed). But no, we can still use that. le sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

In case anyone else is ever in the same predicament, dry erase board cleaner will remove permanent marker from plastic. What I expected to take me hours of scrubbing only ended up taking two minutes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mollyjade wrote:
In case anyone else is ever in the same predicament, dry erase board cleaner will remove permanent marker from plastic. What I expected to take me hours of scrubbing only ended up taking two minutes.

My mythology teacher taught me that in high school. When I tell people it blows their minds!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

mollyjade wrote:

So will hand sanitizer - I learned this at work. Kind of scary when you realize we use this on our skin. So maybe just rubbing alcohol would work, or there's something else in hand sanitizer that makes it work so well ......it may have even been an alcohol free one I used, I can't remember, but it worked frighteningly well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

torque wrote:
this week i came across a box of canary seed. my mother stopped keeping canaries when my sister was born (*30 years ago* and 5 moves ago). this was from that time. i jokingly showed her and said "you know, this should go" (it was unsealed). But no, we can still use that. le sigh.

but... but... it's 100% likely that it's gone rancid. the birds would most definitely not eat it, and if they did, dare i say they might croak? (it would however be fine on the compost heap.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My husband and I cleaned and did laundry today! Only because we were having friends over for dinner, thoughh. Guess that means we should have more dinner parties!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:06 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So does it count if instead of unpacking more today, I just sit in a lazy chair and read this book?

Yeah, didn't think so.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

lepelaar wrote:
So does it count if instead of unpacking more today, I just sit in a lazy chair and read this book?

Yeah, didn't think so.

NO, NO ... you are wrong ... reading that book WILL assist ... otherwise without the knowledge it will give you may
make WRONG decisions about organizing things ... reading that book will SAVE you time!

Anne (enabler)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm in the midst of an allergy attack, so I'm only gonna be doing short bursts of easy cleaning today. I'm currently running the dishwasher empty because it has a smell*. Then I'll actually do a load of dishes and maybe finish dealing with the recycling. I won't be painting or doing anything that requires concentration/attention. But something is better than nothing, right?

*I suspect the smell is originating from the sink and that I need to run some of that drain de-stinking stuff down it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 am 
Naked Under Apron

our sink gets kinda stinky too. usually i'll start boiling water, and while it's coming to a boil i'll dump a little baking soda + a peeled lemon into the food disposal (but don't run it yet). then i'll pour the boiling water into the sink and run the disposal. seems to work pretty well most of the time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I did the soda crystals followed by vinegar trick when my sink niffed, that seemed to do the trick pretty well too.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:28 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

This thread inspired me to start cleaning our bathtub. We keep the apartment pretty clean and tidy generally, but there are a few things that still need organized or cleaned since I've moved in. I deep cleaned the kitchen when I moved in and most of the bathroom, but the bathtub has been collecting scum for I'm not sure how long (at least 1.5 years, my dude "cleans" it but it's never been white like it should be). We only shower, he doesn't take baths and there's no way I'm sitting in that grossness.

I used up all my baking soda and vinegar and got 1/3 of it close to white and the other 2/3 cleaner! And I got a hell of a workout scrubbing. I'll continue daily this week until the forker is clean. Then it will be easy to keep clean with twice monthly quick scrubs! I'm excited to have a tub that I'll be able to take a bath in instead of just showering!

I'll worry about the pile of laundry behind our bedroom door (bedding and towels) and the last of the organizing after I get the tub clean.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 am 
Seagull of the PPK

supercarrot wrote:
torque wrote:
this week i came across a box of canary seed.

but... but... it's 100% likely that it's gone rancid.

i agree with you 100%. but there is no place for logic here!! luckily there are no canaries here to be croaked.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i'm curious what she thinks she can still use it for. i'm pretty bad with holding on to random things that i might use some day, but i have no problem getting rid of dead seeds. at this point, she might actually be in need of professional help. :-(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, dear supercarrot. in terms of professional help, this is just the small stuff. sadly, it's never going to happen, not even for the big issues.
however, your response makes me realize just how lucky we are, because with an attitude like that it's amazing we are actually getting (some) magazines into the recycling and having a navigable floor....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

ah, dear supercarrot. in terms of professional help, this is just the small stuff. sadly, it's never going to happen, not even for the big issues.
however, your response makes me realize just how lucky we are, because with an attitude like that it's amazing we are actually getting (some) magazines into the recycling and having a navigable floor....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oops. i apologize if i offended.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So I'm moving out again next week and I got no where on going through my stuff in boxes to try to size down.... In my defense I did go through all my clothes though haha. Most of what I have in storage now are special trinkets that I'll put up again once I have my own place, but there is some other stuff that definitely could go to Goodwill... Christmas break project!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We thought we'd have parents in the flat today, so we did a bit of tidying. I finally put away the bedding from when we had a guest a few weeks ago and did a load of laundry. I cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen worktops, Mike hoovered, and we sorted and took out some recycling. Said parents ended up not coming over (or haven't yet), but at least we got it done.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I scrubbed my bathtub last night, but it still doesn't look clean. The internet recommended dish soap, which I tried, but that didn't work very well. Then I sprayed it with a bleach spray and it didn't seem to help any. I guess I'll try baking soda and vinegar next.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Our bathtub is really, really old (like, probably original to the flat, which was built in 1966) and has yellow stains in it. Nothing will get those out. But it's perfectly useable and would actually be more costly and inconvenient to replace, so we're just gonna get it resurfaced when we have the money to redo the bathroom.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

rachell37 wrote:
Our bathtub is really, really old (like, probably original to the flat, which was built in 1966) and has yellow stains in it. Nothing will get those out. But it's perfectly useable and would actually be more costly and inconvenient to replace, so we're just gonna get it resurfaced when we have the money to redo the bathroom.

Have you tried filling it with hot water and a lot of washing-powder (laundry detergent), then leaving it for a couple of hours before scrubbing? I know it sounds weird but we did that on my flatmate's old bath (when we were cleaning his flat prior to renting it) and it did work! (And his bath was disgusting)

(edited for grammar)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Today I've taken 4 big bags of clothes that had been languishing under my kitchen table to the thrift store (and bought a pair of jeans while I was at it - kind of defeating the point), mailed 2 totally dead jackets back to Patagonia for recycling, took all the recycling out, tweezed the stuck paper out of the shredder so it would work again and tossed all of the dog toys that were more than half gnawed away. I also bought a nice dog leash/treats/misc holder for the kitchen so we can eat on the table rather than using all the space for dog stuff storage. Laundry and vacuuming are also being done, but not by me!

Still up: cleaning the kitchen and bathroom and dealing with all of the accumulated mail.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

aiee wrote:
Today I've taken 4 big bags of clothes that had been languishing under my kitchen table to the thrift store (and bought a pair of jeans while I was at it - kind of defeating the point), mailed 2 totally dead jackets back to Patagonia for recycling, took all the recycling out, tweezed the stuck paper out of the shredder so it would work again and tossed all of the dog toys that were more than half gnawed away. I also bought a nice dog leash/treats/misc holder for the kitchen so we can eat on the table rather than using all the space for dog stuff storage. Laundry and vacuuming are also being done, but not by me!

Still up: cleaning the kitchen and bathroom and dealing with all of the accumulated mail.

Wow aiee, that is a fantastic burst of productivity, I'm in awe.

Despite two weeks of chipping away at the debris on our dining table and filing all assorted papers, we still eat dinner on the couch in front of the tv. One of our cats however, loves stretching out on the newly bare table - so it was worth the work just for that.

Now if I can just tackle the mess on the dining area floor. My unforking has really stalled in the past couple of weeks. This week I'm going to take a bunch of before photos, that way when I tackle something randomly I'll already have the before pic.

Reply to topic  [ 501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next