| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mandycoot wrote:

Agreed! I am so glad I found Magic Erasers for cleaning the tub. You can also buy melamine foam at Home Depot. It's cheaper in the long run but you have to buy a big sheet (I think it's sold for soundproofing or insulation?).

Thank you so much for this tip! I've been dreading cleaning the tub knowing that Mr. Clean is not something I should buy (I was really in denial about the number of companies that still test on animals pregan) but its seriously the only thing that works in my tub with how badly my water stains things.

Can't wait to try this out!

Hubby uses them all the time on boats and stuff in the garage so a big sheet is not a problem for us.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:40 pm 
Chip Strong

I finally tackled one of the bigger projects yesterday - rearranging the bedroom furniture and giving the room a good tidy and vacuum. It only took a couple of hours and a good sweat - moving the furniture, but boy it felt good to accomplish something. Now we can get around the bed more easily so hopefully it will be easier to keep the room clean. I still need to purge some worn out clothes, give the drawers a good cleaning out, wipe down the night tables, but I've a got a good start.

Next projects are the dining room floor, re caulking the bath tub (this will be the most difficult, but most needed) The oven - ugh, I think this has gone well beyond an eco-friendly method of cleaning though. Probably I'll end of cleaning out the hall closet because that is the most inviting to me, but it's hidden cleaning.

I sort of abandoned doing the dishes to completion each day, so I need to get on top of that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lepelaar wrote:
Daisychain, that looks like a lot of progress! Congrats!

Thanks. Haven't done anymore the past 2 nights because of getting home so late but tomorrow it's the weekend so I will get it done then.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:20 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I had a really productive, but still super lazy day!

I've been avoiding doing the laundry for about 2 weeks (there's something very creepy about the basement in this building and I won't go down there if it's dark). Now all the clothes that are not currently on our bodies are clean. There's also a load of towels in the dryer and our sheets are in the washer. While marathoning old Simpsons eps, I've managed to fold half of them and am damn determined to get to the rest as soon as I finish this post. And I actually PUT THEM AWAY. Huge, huge step for me lately.

I also cleared out a bunch of old clothes from my dresser that I don't ever wear. Fred has decided that he wants to make a T-shirt quilt (have fun with that, dude), so we're keeping most of the Ts for whenever he decides to get around to it. The rest are going in a bag for donation. Admittedly, they'll probably sit on the landing for a while before they go to Goodwill, but at least they're out of the way when I'm trying to get dressed in morning.

The dirty dishes i the sink were beginning to overflow onto the counter. I put on some music and had everything loaded within a couple of songs. Why do I make dishes into this giant task when it really only takes less than 20 minutes?

I also have black eyed peas soaking and tofu pressing for dinner. I've been really bad about cooking at home lately, so this is quite the accomplishment. Hottie Black Eyed Peas, Ginger Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples and Basic Baked Tofu, all from AFR. Mmmmmmm. Comfort food. /Homer voice

I also cleaned off my desk a few weeks ago, including clearing old shiitake out of the drawers. I'm proud to say it's stayed pretty damn clean (aside from my yoga mat and straps which apparently live there now). Yes!

If I can sweep the floor and replace the shower curtain tonight, I'll have finished everything on my list. Woo-hoo!

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:06 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Potluck at my house tomorrow night. Guess what I'll be doing all day tomorrow? Though I'm way ahead of the usual game. The dishes are all done. The tables and counters are clear of junk. My husband even picked his clothes off the floor. (Granted, he just put them in a pile on the couch, but I'll take it.)

I might actually have time to deal with superficial things like weeding the vegetable garden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I keep putting off getting things like a coffee table and rug and lamps for my place. I'm very good at keeping my place tidy, but I'm a procrastinator and a cheapskate when it comes to furnishing it, apparently! I keep looking at craigslist, getting frustrated, and then saying fork it. I resolve to get a coffee table and at least one lamp in the coming month!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Got my dyson today. Only got around to hoovering the two armchairs though because roommate had a visitor around. Total bummer. Can't wait to tackle the stairs and landing because they have gotten dusty and hairy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:51 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
I keep putting off getting things like a coffee table and rug and lamps for my place. I'm very good at keeping my place tidy, but I'm a procrastinator and a cheapskate when it comes to furnishing it, apparently! I keep looking at craigslist, getting frustrated, and then saying fork it. I resolve to get a coffee table and at least one lamp in the coming month!

I've been trying to sell a coffee table and two side tables on Craigslist for weeks. Flakey, flakey people!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Are they wood? I'm so lazy I'd almost pay the shipping from Texas just so I can be done with it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:48 pm 

They are. With glass tops. I have no idea how one would ship furniture.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

jordanpattern wrote:

This is why my dining room is empty and the only furniture in our bedroom is the bed. I want to buy second-hand/antiques, I definitely don't want cheap put-together furniture, but I spend five minutes on Craigslist and then remember that we have no way to transport stuff anyway!

I get rugs/towels/other small stuff just by trolling the clearance endcaps at Target twice a month and seeing if anything we actually need pops up. There are no Goodwills or even Salvation Army's here so thrifting itself is kind of sucky.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

a lot of our tables came from trash picking. (we did get an awesome one from a yard sale that is half table and half trunk. it's such a great concept, and it hardly looks like it has all that room under the lid.) anyway, take a ride around the neighborhood on trash day. you might see gems.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:22 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have been really slack the last couple of weeks. Today I am going to tackle the kitchen table, which has so much shiitake piled up on it that you can barely see the surface. I'm not even sure what's lying under the surface of all the crepe.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:48 am 
And you never will.

How did I only just see this thread? I NEED this thread. Nothing like mopping your floors at 4:30 in the morning to really put your life choices into perspective.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:22 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

90% of my stuff was obtained second-hand, but I think I've only bought a couple of items on Craigslist because I find it to be such a pain in the asparagus. I have dealt with so many flakes that I've decided it's not even worth it.

My coffee table is from Craigslist though and I love it. I got it from some sketchy guy and had to drive waaaay out of my way for it, but it was cheap and I've never seen another table quite like it.

It also helps a lot of you're willing to paint/refinish cheap furniture. I've started buying paint samples from Lowe's (the little Valspar containers are $1-3 each and normally enough to cover a small piece of furniture) and painting stuff on the weekends. It's actually relaxing and I like the instant gratification of seeing a piece go immediately from butt ugly to beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It has been a busy week and we had people over last night. Today has involved dishes (machine and handwash), putting away said dishes and doing 6 loads of washing. I also got my shiitake together and put some leftovers in the freezer instead of chucking them out on Tuesday..

Tomorrow I start going through my wardrobe and getting stuff ready for recycling/goodwill. Scary, grown-up stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:27 pm 

I bought one of those eraser things today. I'm going to try it tomorrow on the tub. If it works I'm going to be so excited.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Myself and hubs tore through wardrobes and drawers today. Two large bin bags of clothes, belts, shoes and accessories ready for the charity shop next weekend, one is ready for a friend to chop up and sacrifice to her sewing machine and two more went to textile recycling this afternoon. Huzzah!!

Mount Washmore has, however, reached critical levels due to a previously undiscovered seam of rare stinktonium found under the bed.
Wet clothes hanging on racks all over the damn house. Half of it won't even fit in the wardrobe or drawers so will have to be recycled or donated as well.

Did more dishes, cleaned down the gas hob (which was beyond disgusting thanks to a major pot boil over) and put out all the rubbish and recycling.
Tired now. Taking tomorrow off cleaning, apart from sticking dishes in the machine and doing another load of washing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am very tidy and organized, generally. However, my outdoor storage area has been the exception to that rule. It isn't air tight and this area is very dusty. Every time I peaked in there every single thing was covered in inches (literal inches!) of fine red sand. It was an overwhelming cleaning task, so I put it off for a year. Well, today was the day! I completely emptied the space and threw out some stuff I was never going to use again. I swept for over an hour, then rinsed down the whole space with water to get the dust off the walls. Then I washed every single item in there. Dozens (hundreds?) of spiders went running from the cleaned items. Including black widows. I like spiders, but...

So I went back in and cleaned the space again, more aggressively. Then I sprayed the whole thing with insect/spider repellent/killer. I don't like having to do that, but I can not have spiders like that taking up such an invasive presence in my storage space. It was totally out of control.

Now that the space is cleaned, I'll be doing a quarterly check-in on it. It shouldn't get overwhelmingly dirty in that time again, and regular cleanings will discourage 8-legged visitors.

I am EXHAUSTED now.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also, I keep feeling phantom spiders on myself now.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:18 am 
Chip Strong

Invictus wrote:
Also, I keep feeling phantom spiders on myself now.

I would be too. Well done you for tackling your storage space, sounds like it was a big but satisfying job.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 pm 

The magic eraser suggestion was brilliant. Thank you!!! My tub looks good and it took very little effort. Magic indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I bought a coffee table! I found a nice, mission style (I think?) solid wood thing on CL, and the lady was a teensy bit weird, but totally nice. Now I need a lamp.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:38 am 
Dead by dawn

My house is in complete chaos, but biker boy is almost done bringing stuff over so I am trying to remind myself that a month from now, when there's a place for everything and everything is in its place, the chaos will be long forgotten. But right now it's really stressful. I can't just put it all away for him because this is his home now too and decisions have to work for both of us. And I can't pressure him to put stuff away quicker because he's stretched so thin between work and all that has to be done at his house to get it ready for sale. He's been sick so he hasn't been riding and his stress level is through the roof. But. He bought some pieces to what will ultimately become our bike racking system in the garage and yesterday we tested them and figured out what configuration will work best. Once he gets the rest of the pieces alll 8 bikes will be racked on the garage wall and we can finish the organizing that needs to be done out there. It doesn't look like we did much, but I can arrange it all in my mind's eye now and that makes me feel better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Dead by dawn

I got home last night to find that biker boy had put up all the track for our bike storage in the garage and had three bikes up. Unfortunately Lowe's only had three of the hooks we need so we'll need to order the other five online. But it looks super slick and he gets an A for effort as he'd have had the whole thing put together if the hooks were available. I don't have a before pic of the garage, but you can imagine 8 bikes propped up willy-nilly in a small one-car garage! I will post a pic once we have all the bikes and wheels racked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 26  Next