| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:50 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Today I'm doing laundry for the first time in 3 weeks. It was really piling up and getting dressed for work started getting difficult. Everything is going to take forever to line dry in the cold, but I'm already feeling less stressed out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Today I also did laundry for the first time in weeks! And I cleaned up "Tissue Mountain" next to my bed. I've been sick the past few weeks and everything had gone to hell. I'm still getting caught up, but it's nice to be able to walk next to my bed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:29 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Later I think I'll finish cleaning out my closet and take some stuff to Goodwill. I have so much crepe I know I will never wear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going to be picking up a big wardrobe closet in IKEA in january, and i hope that it will help us keep the apartment clutter free! i'm a pretty tidy person by nature, but my boyfriend is definitely not. And we mostly have clothes, bed linens, random boxes with stuff like tools, my drawing equipment and other pretty small things that desperately need storage. Right now we have almost no closet space, so that's making it hard to stay organized!
I'm be buying a dresser as soon as I find a cute vintage one as well, because that seems like the best way to store drawing equipment, paper, school stuff etc.

I really hope that I can afford to get both the wardrobe and the dresser in January, as I am pretty sick of living in a 645 sq.ft. apartment without any storage!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:43 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My sister-in-law and I started having a conversation about cleaning and organizing, just a generic conversation that she started. I offered to come clean her house (she does my hair for free all the time) and she was really enthusiastic about it and said she really needed some organizing so she would love help with that, but when I started showing her the UFYH app and telling her some of the stuff I do to keep my house cleanish and semi-organized, she slowly started getting offended. Like, I never said 'you need to clean your house' (we were in her house at the time, and she is a slob but it's a lot better than when she was married and her d-bag ex did less than nothing) but I think she was drawing that conclusion? Basically, she said that she doesn't have the time or desire to do five minute a day cleanups, she'd rather clean for six hours on her day off, and that's just the way she is, yada yada.

So I don't know what to do, because I want to be encouraging but I don't want to like, organize her house if she's just going to ignore it and I certainly don't want to come off like a judgy crasshole either.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

That sounds difficult Mrs Badmouth. It can be difficult to change your habits and all to easy to feel judged and defensive. I don't know what you should do for the best, but thread carefully. Or just avoid the subject!

I really need to do some cleaning but I'm ridiculously tired. If I stay in bed for half an hour, , with a hot water bottle and radio show, maybe I can get a productive hour done, with some veg roasting in the oven, before I need to go to bed for real.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:15 pm 

I'm going to go with avoid, initially I said 'maybe santa will put an 'IOU two hours of house cleaning' coupon in your stocking' and she was like 'hellz yeah', but I don't know now. I find it hard to do a favor for someone that they've blatantly told me is beneath them. It's like when I make things for family holidays or friends houses and someone has to go on a five minute spiel about how they don't have time to make anything ever and make it sound like cooking is for peons. It's like, 1. I'm right here and 2. You're basically bragging about not being an adult.

Brian and I skipped our 15 minutes in the basement last week so we could do 30 minutes this week and really dump out some boxes. I'm talking like old homework and shiitake. We put 5-6 empty boxes in the recycling and a whole trashbag into the trash!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:44 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

YOU GUISE. I bought a handheld steamer last week and gave it a go this weekend. It is the best! I steamed my entire mattress (both sides) and all my pillows with the fabric attachment. Topped with sheets straight out of the dryer. SO NICE. My boyfriend has a sensitive nose and always complains about dog smells in my house, and he was very happy with the results.

I also used the concentrated jet attachment to blast a few stains my older dog left as 'presents' for me on the couch. They came right out with a few rubs from a cloth and didn't discolor the upholstery! OMG this is the best thing ever.

I can't wait to use it in my kitchen and bathroom, too. Then I'm going to steam my curtains. And the dog beds. I AM A STEAM MANIAC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I am super jealous of your steam cleaner! And it made me watch cleaning tutorials for an hour. I didn't learn anything new, but it was strangely relaxing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:16 pm 

I did laundry and washing up today! And stuck back on the fragment of wood which had fallen off my front door. Also, the most scary and grown up thing, I phoned my landlord to ask for help to deal with the mould.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I so badly need to get my butt back in gear. I totally went to a halt the past few months on the big clear up which is such a pity because I made so much progress.

To ease myself into it I got a big black sack and went to the small spare room. At present I can't get in there because of the sheer amount of clutter and junk. I filled a sack with clothes that are in such bad condition that they aren't fit to be put anywhere except the bin. I also found about a wash basket full of clothes that are still wearable so I will wash them tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am going to take a box out of there of old college stuff to see what can go into the recycling. Hopefully the entire box of stuff will be heading to the bin. I also have a pile of empty bottles and jars built up that need to be brought to the bottle bank.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I reorganized my knitting so that it fits in 2 boxes and an open bin instead of the numbers small (mostly pretty) boxes they were in before. That enabled me to move my plastic storage bins into the attic with some things that could go into the attic and make my room slightly less crowded/cluttered feeling. I also re-did my pantry shelves a little bit to better hold the dry beans. Not super productive but hey, I got through season four of white collar at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yesterday, I tidied the outside area around our front door. The potted plants were starting to look very wintery and sad, so I cut them back. I also scraped the moss from between the tiles. Somehow we have a lot of algae growth on the pavement and when it's wet, it gets slippery to the point that it is dangerous to walk on. I scrubbed the pavement with vinegar, so I hope that takes care of the slippery algae problem.

Today, I'm going to try and tackle some of the backlog indoors. There is paperwork all over my work table (which is actually the dining room table, we haven't eaten dinner there in ages) and in the last two boxes from moving my stuff into this house that need to be unpacked. But I also need to keep up with the regular housework, so I folded yesterday's laundry, put a second load in the machine, and I'm going to do the dishes in a minute. I don't feel like doing all that stuff, but I know I'll feel awesome when it is finally done.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:25 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got a new bookcase a couple of months back but it's still empty. If I say in this thread that I'm going to sort my books out today hopefully that will mean by tomorrow I won't still have piles of books cluttering the bannisters by my bedroom.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:52 pm 

Didn't get into the spare room as planned. My back is quite sore today so I only got the basics done like hoovering the stairs and all the upstairs, the ironing, a couple of loads of washing and steamed the living room floor. I found a plastic basket in my bathroom so I've decided that everyday I am going to fill it with things that need recycling. It is a small enough basket that it will only take 5-10minutes a day to get it filled but if I do that every single day then I will eventually get a handle on things.

I managed to fill it with empty shower gel, shampoo and facial product containers today.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:41 pm 

Brian had a bunch of 'use it or lose it' vacation days so he's been off since Christmas, and we haven't really done anything major but today I told him we're going on operation 'hang everything', because we have not hung a single picture or painting since we've moved. I have one unicorn painting up, but only because we removed a lamp from a wall and I hung it over one of the screws to cover them up.

I really want a handheld steamer. I have a carpet cleaner and a mini one for small spots and upholstery but they're...actually not great for upholstery.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm trying to organize things in preparation for the start of the new semester/my internship. My goal for the next two days is to organize my papers from this last semester.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:48 pm 

dropscone wrote:
I got a new bookcase a couple of months back but it's still empty. If I say in this thread that I'm going to sort my books out today hopefully that will mean by tomorrow I won't still have piles of books cluttering the bannisters by my bedroom.

Hey, Dropscone! How are your books? (Even if you didn't put them away yesterday, you can still do it.)

I'm weirdly tired- I think maybe I ate too much- but I need to get some cleaning done before bed. If I just do a good amount of washing up, and hang up my laundry when it's done, and put away my groceries, that would make the next few busy days so much better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:11 am 

I was so lazy this week. I didn't keep to my basket full of recycling a day thing at all. I did empty nearly an entire box load of stuff into the recycling today though. It was a tall box and had 4 folders and loads of loose research articles in it. The only things I kept out of it are 2 books. Everything else and the box is going into the recycling. Only a little bit done but I'm proud.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:40 pm 

I did enough cleaning to actually see a difference! My rugs still look disgusting- I think I need to find a rubber bristled brush like my mum used to have because the vacuum cleaner does NOT get up all the long hair. But I have a table! And a desk! And clear, clean surfaces (including floor. Not that I use that as a food preparation surface, but it is lovely and clean.) in the kitchen.

I need to at least do all the day's washing-up after work tomorrow and do a decent amount on Friday.

Oh, and I remembered to put the recycling out. Which is good- it is collected every two weeks, I missed it last time as I was away and a LOT of stuff had piled up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:38 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've been trying to stay on top of keeping things picked up after we clean. It helps so much if you don't let things turn into a huge mess. Also, I bought glass doors for my ikea bookcases. Now i don't have to dust shelves!

I've been pretty tidy lately in an effort to head off the winter blues. Organized my crafts, clutter is packed away, tidied up my garden and potted plants, and washed anything washable in the house. Now I need to tackle the bedroom. It's full of office supplies and a printer, and we have nowhere good to put them.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever hired a company to clean their house? I looked into it and it's like over $150 for a 2 hour visit from companies with terrible yelp ratings and they do weird things like change your sheets. 1) we can't afford that, and 2) stay away from my bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Being home a bit more the last two weeks has allowed me to get some stuff done again. I've not made headway in the bedroom but nothing else has fallen terribly by the wayside either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Having been so busy (working too much + studying + social life), I finally managed to almost properly clean my apartment last night. Did all the dishes, cleaned the counters, cooked a big pot of pasta for lunches/dinners this week, scrubbed my bathroom, did all my laundry + sheets and blankets, aired out my house, swept all the wood. All that's left is to vacuum the rug and sofas. Oof.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:38 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm so good about cleaning in the warm months, but I need to wash all my stone floors, and it is so cold lately (and no heat in my apartment) So I just can't bring myself to bring out the bucket of water and mop, knowing I'll then be confined to one spot for hours while the floors attempt to dry with no sun....the kitchen is so splattered though, just sweeping is not enough!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
I'm so good about cleaning in the warm months, but I need to wash all my stone floors, and it is so cold lately (and no heat in my apartment) So I just can't bring myself to bring out the bucket of water and mop, knowing I'll then be confined to one spot for hours while the floors attempt to dry with no sun....the kitchen is so splattered though, just sweeping is not enough!

You have a fan? I aim my little fan at patches of floor to help speed drying time so the dogs don't have to be locked up for so long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next