| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I can't believe I'm just finding this thread. I am one of the neat-challenged individuals as well. I also grew up with a super-perfectionist, neat-aholic mother who worked us to death as kids. I never felt like I had playtime, so from the moment I moved out, it's been playtime ever since. I hate to clean - but, like everyone else has said, I love a clean house.
I try to do a load of dishes daily - don't always succeed, but do try. And I do manage to wash, fold, hang and put away my laundry once a week. But as for dusting/sweeping/vacuuming/scrubbing bathrooms, etc, I'm lucky if that gets done once a year.
I need help. Mainly, what I need help with is not seeing housework as a punishment. I've experimented with various cleaning methods that didn't exist in my childhood (like the new steam cleaning systems) to see if I could find one that doesn't trigger the PTSD of housecleaning. Somehow, 35 years removed from the home I grew up in, I am still acting like a child! I know the problem is in my head.
*whimper* help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks for all the great ideas so far, and good luck to all challenge participants!

Today I'm concentrating on recycling as tomorow is collection day, but I hope to make inroads on my challenge room as part of the process.

Also doing more laundry while the sun is shining (no dryer, so it needs to go on the line outside).

Monidew the thread only started a little while ago, you should be able to catch up no worries.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

MoniDew, it seems like that is a really common theme on UFYH, so you're not alone. I know one thing the author suggests is starting with a part of your house that's meaningful to you and working on cleaning it a little at a time as a nice thing to do for yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I grew up in a very cluttered home with chests of drawers on top of cupboards with more cupboards on top til they reached the ceiling. I shared a bedroom with my sister who was always moaning about my mess but once I moved out she became a real horder and I think is now one of those people who has walkways through the clutter in her home - no one has been in there for years (before she left home there were walkways through our bedroom through knee high piles of magazines, newspapers and boxes so she could reach the bed, the dressing table and the window). So I'm not as bad as I fear she is, but I have loads of clutter and feel paralysed about tackling it and finding homes for all the things. Since we had built in shelves built in our home office things havent been put back and I have clutter piled up in two other rooms. I'm very lucky that I have a cleaner but she could do her job much better if the place was tidy.

There is also a small amount of clutter in every other room, on surfaces and tucked into corners. It's depresses me but as a major procrastinator there is always something more interesting, more pressing or more important for me to do - and even if, due to procrastination, I end up not doing those things they stop me tackling the other things. I annoys and depresses my partner too and there is definitely the expectation that I should deal with this because I am at home all at and it is mostly my clutter.

This might be a useful page for some people. If you sign up she sends out regular motivational stuff. http://mygreenandtidylife.co.uk Having said that I haven't actually signed up though, maybe I should.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:04 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

rentaghost wrote:

This might be a useful page for some people. If you sign up she sends out regular motivational stuff. http://mygreenandtidylife.co.uk Having said that I haven't actually signed up though, maybe I should.

Totally unrelated to the topic of this thread, but the woman who runs that website actually contacted me once on my blog asking for advice about a fledgling bird in her yard! (I used to do wildlife rescue and posted about it.) Small world!

ETA: I took some pictures of the area I want to tackle first and will post them when I get them uploaded.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

One thing that really helps me keep clutter down is when I have something that needs to be done, put away, or otherwise dealt with, if it will take less than 5 minutes, I force myself to do it immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I'm a mess too! It's totally genetic though, and I'm almost always better off than my parents at least. The kiddo has a bazillion toys. I hate cleaning my kitchen, even though it isn't very big. Also, I'm pretty sure I have some depressive issues going on right now, so that doesn't really help. Also, I have this weird thing where I feel like I can't clean in my regular clothes so I have to put on my messy clothes/pajamas to clean. Right now, I'm wearing a shirt I wear out, so I totally can't clean in this or I'm bound to wear a mess.

I want to hire a maid just to clean my teeny kitchen.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had to suck up my pride and paid someone to help me clean for a few hours a couple weeks ago. She helped me get the main floor to base-level clean so I have been able to just barely keep on top of things.

My main areas that need cleaning are the office, my bedroom at the downstairs junk closet. Need to get some of this done soon so hopefully this thread will help?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

IsaChandra wrote:
Such a cute room! I like the wall color and it looks like there is lots of greenery outside. I can't wait to see the transformation.

Thanks. I painted it about 2 years ago myself. Fairly proud of it. As for the greenery.... that would be the neighbours beautiful garden and then the farm next to them. My garden has some lovely big weeds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Moon wrote:
I had to suck up my pride and paid someone to help me clean for a few hours a couple weeks ago. She helped me get the main floor to base-level clean so I have been able to just barely keep on top of things.

Sometimes Groupons come up for cleaning services and I wonder about doing this, but then I get all anxious about it. What do I do while a cleaning person is in my apartment cleaning? Do I just hang out? Am I supposed to talk to him/her? Aside from the social anxiety, I'd also feel embarrassed about how messy my shower tiles are and stuff. I have a 1 bedroom apartment so it's not like I can be very far away from where he/she is cleaning.

But I really, really hate cleaning things like bathtubs, and I do a pretty shitty job of it. So maybe the awkwardness is worth it.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys want to help motivate me to unpack? It's like 1000000 degrees in here but I can't live out of boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My biggest problem room is actually my walk-in closet, aka the place I throw stuff when I don't want to deal with it. Usually I clean it all out every few years and trash or donate stuff, but I have let it go for WAY too long at this point.

The biggest issue is the bureau, which you can kind of see in the above pic (the blonde wood). It's old (it's seriously a bureau/changing table that my mom bought for me before I was born). One drawer doesn't work, so I decided to swap it out for a functioning dresser that was in the closet and just use the old one to store winter clothes in the summer, and vice versa. Only I really overestimated my ability to move large heavy pieces of furniture. I got the new dresser out okay, but I only got the old bureau a couple feet into the closet before it got stuck and I said "fork it." So all the winter clothes that were supposed to go in are dumped on the floor in front of the bureau. And all the stuff I stacked up to make way for it is still stacked up, and I have added more piles besides.

The second issue is the stacks and stacks of magazines and books. I know I need to go through them and decide what to keep/donate/recycle, but I also know that will take ages, and I just get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff.

So! I think I'm going to spend a small amount of time every day (maybe 15 minutes) fixing this. Working on a small section so I don't get overwhelmed. I think taking a box of stuff out of the closet and going through it elsewhere will be the best, because every time I step into the closet, I'm just "omg this is too much I can't do it bye". It doesn't need to turn out pretty or anything, but it would be nice if I could actually walk into my walk-in closet! (True story: when I moved here at age 10, I was so impressed with the size of the closet (I hadn't ever seen a walk-in one before) that I decided it was a magical land called Closetoria, and that I was the Princess of Closetoria. I kept a diary of all my adventures there, and it is still on one of the shelves in the closet.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:25 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
Sometimes Groupons come up for cleaning services and I wonder about doing this, but then I get all anxious about it. What do I do while a cleaning person is in my apartment cleaning? Do I just hang out? Am I supposed to talk to him/her? Aside from the social anxiety, I'd also feel embarrassed about how messy my shower tiles are and stuff. I have a 1 bedroom apartment so it's not like I can be very far away from where he/she is cleaning.

I've hired someone a couple of times for stuff like end of lease cleans, and I've always had them turn up before I leave for work and then I just leave them to it. I've never had an issue with leaving a cleaner in my house, but I've also only hired cleaners through registered organisations so that there's someone I can call if there's an issue (but there never has been). I think the only time I've been home was when I hired someone to clean the carpets in my old house, and when they turned up I just asked where I should hang out that would be out of the way. I just sat in an area that didn't need to be cleaned and tried to look very busy and important on my laptop for a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
protein lump

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I need an unpacking challenge.

that's like tidying! that's what i'm going to do anyway. the smallest room i have is the bathroom. it's not messy, but i do need to come up with a better system for towels and magazines/books.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Erinnerung wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I've hired someone a couple of times for stuff like end of lease cleans, and I've always had them turn up before I leave for work and then I just leave them to it. I've never had an issue with leaving a cleaner in my house, but I've also only hired cleaners through registered organisations so that there's someone I can call if there's an issue (but there never has been). I think the only time I've been home was when I hired someone to clean the carpets in my old house, and when they turned up I just asked where I should hang out that would be out of the way. I just sat in an area that didn't need to be cleaned and tried to look very busy and important on my laptop for a couple of hours.

That's a good idea! I should just plan to leave after they get there. The Groupon is through a registered service and I'm sure I could look up online reviews, too. Thanks Erinnerung!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm 

Four bags of recycling out, and made some progress on the living room (able to sit on one sofa out of two, up from none).

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:35 pm 

I live in a tiny apartment with a 19 month old and my partner, who god bless him, has no organization skills. So we have a clutter problem.

Yesterday I decluttered on the areas in my kitchen that have random crepe on them: the windowsill, back of stove, and utensil bins/another shelf. That made me feel so much better! No one needs three wisks! Well, maybe someone does, but not me.

Today I scrubbed all the weird smoothie and baby eating splatters from the walls (gross, I know). I also emptied this giant bowl on my dresser that has become a catch all for junk. I tidied my knitting basket and picked up a million toys. I'm going to keep tackling little areas like this each day and see if that helps.

I'm going to try that getting rid of five things each day rule and my partner agreed to it as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I found having a cleaner very awkward at first too and used to make sure I was out at work that day. I think an alternative to that is to be cleaning or tidying at the same time, so you're working as hard as your cleaner - no reason to feel awkward then, plus it forces you to spend a chunk of time doing that and when you're both finished you'll enjoy twice the results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
Yesterday I decluttered on the areas in my kitchen that have random crepe on them: the windowsill, back of stove, and utensil bins/another shelf. That made me feel so much better! No one needs three wisks! Well, maybe someone does, but not me.

Today I scrubbed all the weird smoothie and baby eating splatters from the walls (gross, I know). I also emptied this giant bowl on my dresser that has become a catch all for junk. I tidied my knitting basket and picked up a million toys. I'm going to keep tackling little areas like this each day and see if that helps.

I'm going to try that getting rid of five things each day rule and my partner agreed to it as well.

sounds like you've got a lot going on and not a lot of space - and my spouse is terrible when it comes to organization (you should see his parent's house - it's borderline hoarder stuff.). there's always smoothie splatter and soup purée on our walls - i'm glad we're not the only ones. :)

tackling little areas helps keep our home pretty clutter-free & i think it's awesome your spouse is up for the 5 things a day challenge. good luck and keep at it, Butternut!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I should join in.. I am trying to give myself a weight loss challenge. Loss of STUFF, that is. My goal is to lose at least 5 lb a day until we move, because we're overweight and we're going to start getting charged with moves!! There's a good chance we won't find another house this big easily, and things must go. Part of the challenge is that Husband does not like to throw anything away. Y'all, we still have OS/2 Warp install discs. He refuses to get rid of them.. because WHAT IF WE NEED THEM SOMEDAY?

But I can do my part, there's plenty of crepe that's my responsibility. There's a "Collier Ave" in my neighborhood and every time I walk past it I think I should be living there instead!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:46 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Progress not perfection!

I got everything dusted and clean and got rid of those pillows and blankets. For tomorrow: organize the books! I also found my stash of art that I keep meaning to frame, so perhaps this week I will visit a frame shop. It was kind of like shopping!

Still left to do:
Break down boxes
Put up curtains
Paint?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 am 

Glad to see progress being made! Here is my utility room:

It's the smallest room in the flat, so I figured if I get it done it will give me a sense of accomplishment that will help carry me through the rest. There's not a lot of space, so some stuff will need to remain on the counters, but a lot of it I think I can just chuck -for example, one of those irons hasn't worked for years!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Jogirl, I can't see your photos. I don't know if that's an ipad/safari issue or if you've got them set to private, though.

For me this is going to be an unpacking challenge. I'm starting with the living room because right now it's the coolest room in the house, excepting the kitchen. I moved in on July 2nd and this is what it looked like then and what it still looks like now. (I should note that my bf lives next door, so it's been too easy to just spend time at his place rather than live with the consequences of not unpacking.) Also, as I mentioned in an earlier post, clutter was a serious problem in my old place and I'm kind of paralyzed by wanting to do things right this time so that it doesn't take over again.

Anyway, boxes and boxes of books:

I need to get to Ikea and get some bookcases so that I can unpack these. I've got one large Billy and one half Billy, so once I decide where to put them, I'll be able to put up some of the books (cookbooks first!), but I definitely need more cases. Also, the roll shutter on the window broke days before I moved in and I need to get that fixed so I can open it and get more light in here, but that can't happen while all the books are in the way.

Seating area: Borrowed coffee table and Kimsta chairs. I need a couch and coffee table/end tables. The plan is to get ones with shelves underneath that I can put storage baskets in. The chair with the plaid upholstery (and monkey) is mine but the seat is ripping and the stuffing is coming out. I want to get it reupholstered but that's not number one on the list right now.

The only already organized thing is my stereo/CDs. The dining room table/chairs came with the house and the table is already covered with stuff from me grabbing things out of boxes/bags.

Crates/suitcases full of who knows what. (Through the door is my for-once-in-my-life clean and tidy kitchen!)

It's kind of hard to unpack not having places to put things yet, but I can't keep living out of boxes wondering where this is or that is. I have to start somewhere.

Oh, and just to give some perspective on how out of control it got in my old place and what I'm trying to avoid, here's a picture I took when I was already halfway through cleaning off my old dining room (current kitchen table):

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 am 
Nailed to the V

lobsteriffic wrote:
I like the idea of having a chore every weekday so the weekends are free. I resent cleaning because I feel like between running errands, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping, my weekend is gone!

I forgot to mention that I do most of the marketing on the way home ... stopping at a market stall on Wednesday (late night shopping here) ... with some quick dashes into Waitrose for non-fruit / veg items ... sometimes we wander into town EARLY on Saturday morning as the stalls are open, grab the local offerings, then off for coffee then a wander around the bookshops ... I do my utmost to avoid shopping in chain stores.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

mollyjade wrote:
MoniDew, it seems like that is a really common theme on UFYH, so you're not alone. I know one thing the author suggests is starting with a part of your house that's meaningful to you and working on cleaning it a little at a time as a nice thing to do for yourself.

UFYH?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next