| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:31 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We're having friends over for dinner tonight! This is the first time in three months that I've dared to invite anybody. We spent a couple of hours this afternoon tidying and cleaning, and the apartment is finally in a more or less presentable state. Only three unpacked boxes are left from moving in my stuff. All the flours have been vacuumed (thank you Roomba) and most surfaces have been wiped (thank you Mr. Cornelie).

Now to get the last groceries and make IDI nacho night preparations!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My partner and I are moving into a new place in about a month and I am really determined to keep it presentable at least 90% of the time. The place is bigger and we're going to have a lot of useful outdoor space, so I I would really like to be able to invite people over at a moments notice, instead of having to have a marathon cleaning session before anyone is allowed to enter our home. And since we're buying I'm also hoping that keeping our place clean will help me stay on top of all the really important home maintenance stuff.

So my mini-challenge until we start packing is to keep our tiny studio clean. It seriously should not be that hard, but I know it can all go to hell in just one day. I've got the Unfuck Your Habitat app and I'm ready to go!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

A couple of things that have helped us

1. We sold all of our extra stuff / furniture/ art that we don't use, and anything that's collecting dust. We surprisingly had a ton of stuff we didn't care much about, and we made almost 2k selling our crepe! Cleaning is overall much easier with less furniture and clutter on every surface.

2. Before, if we were too tired to clean the dishes, we'd just ignore the pile of dishes in the sink and keep using more clean dishes, adding to the mess. We have a ton of dishes so the mess kept growing! Our solution: we put 4 plates, 4 bowls, 2 glasses, 2 coffee cups in the cupboard and everything else is stored away in another cupboard. When the 2 glasses are dirty, we have to clean them if we need a glass. Even if we dirty every dish, I can fit everything in 1 load in the dishwasher and the mess can't get any worse than that.

"One day you'll see, when tofu takes over the world because tofu can be anything it wants to be!" -bekki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Ctate, the dishes idea is so good! I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:51 am 
So Totally Yiffy

ctate wrote:
A couple of things that have helped us

1. We sold all of our extra stuff / furniture/ art that we don't use, and anything that's collecting dust. We surprisingly had a ton of stuff we didn't care much about, and we made almost 2k selling our crepe! Cleaning is overall much easier with less furniture and clutter on every surface.

2. Before, if we were too tired to clean the dishes, we'd just ignore the pile of dishes in the sink and keep using more clean dishes, adding to the mess. We have a ton of dishes so the mess kept growing! Our solution: we put 4 plates, 4 bowls, 2 glasses, 2 coffee cups in the cupboard and everything else is stored away in another cupboard. When the 2 glasses are dirty, we have to clean them if we need a glass. Even if we dirty every dish, I can fit everything in 1 load in the dishwasher and the mess can't get any worse than that.

What a great idea! If i had the storage room i would do that to! For now i'm busy to keep a rithm (?) to do the dishes every other day. For now it's working :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

When we moved into this apartment, the landlord had left a rather large carpet (maybe 1,5m in diameter?) in the rather large bathroom. It looks surprisingly clean, but I'd still like the option to clean it, because bathroom. How the hell does one wash a carpet?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 am 
Chard Martyr

We have a rug by the door that the cats keep puking on and (after I scrubbed it), I just threw it in the washing machine and hung it outside to dry. I'm not sure if that would work for your carpet but I'm always surprised by how much stuff I can just toss in the washer!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 am 
So Totally Yiffy

mayby the drycleaner?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:40 am 
Chard Martyr

I can't keep my kitchen clean! Between two humans and two cats we are ridiculous, as it constantly looks like a family of 12 has stormed our kitchen for three days. Sigh! I am fine with doing dishes (by hand as our dishwasher is not very efficient), but my (human) energy taps off after 1+ hour of dishes after a long day at work and I have no patience/desire to scrub appliances/counters or even consider that the fridge might be getting a bit gross. Help! We decided that the kitchen is my responsibility because my neat freak husband is always cleaning our house (part of the problem is that we moved from a fairly small apartment to a three level house and as FWP as it sounds I have no idea how people keep their homes free of dust, dirt, debris, cat damage, etc....) and I am a messy cook, but I love to cook, and I'm good at it, so I need to clean my own messes! I'm aware that I will never want anyone walking in on my home unannounced because there are some messes I leave for too long.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:59 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

how about soaking the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher? or is it possible the dishwasher itself needs a cleaning?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:14 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Some dishwashers just suck because they are old or of poor quality. I know I have had a couple duds myself. A couple things you can try to get it working better are buying one of those dishwasher cleaner tab things. They cost about $10 but I think it's worth it, then try cleaning out the filter at the bottom. You may be surprised by how much "stuff" is stuck lurking down there. Next check the little holes where the water comes out on the spinning bar. Sometimes these get plugged up and clearing them out with a toothpick helps. Lastly use a rinse agent. I never use to bother but it really does help especially with getting glasses clean. I have been able to bring a poorly functioning dishwasher back to life by following all thee steps. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 am 
Saggy Butt

I am a semi-slob who is trying to change her ways. It's just kind of a mess that develops over time. I always clean up after myself as I go, but I never take a day to do a big, thorough cleaning, so while I do my dishes, I never actually clean the dish drainer dealy. I sweep, but I almost never mop.

I just rearranged my living room and put everything in a designated place and vacuumed and it's just such a nice place to BE now. I want to make my whole house that way and keep it that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, every so often I do a good clean of my dishwasher (taking it apart, rinsing the filter, digging out gunk with a wooden skewer, wiping it all down, etc) and then I run it on a heavy load cycle, empty, with vinegar in the detergent and rinse agent wells. That seems to do the job.

I'm badly in need of doing a dishwasher clean, as well as a fridge clean and reorganizing the cabinets.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:48 am 
Saggy Butt

If I had a dishwasher, I'd be king of the world!

...though I used to say that about if I had a washer & dryer and now I do, and I'm still not king of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yeah, i can always tell when the vinegar in the rinse agent section has run out. my plastic storage containers get an icky film. (i mean over time they'll develop a film anyway, but without the vinegar, it's instantaneous and super gross.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I just got back from a trip and unpacked within 24 hours.

WINNING.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:05 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Damnit I didn't know I was supposed to be cleaning my dishwasher. I've even worse off than I thought.

There's so much I wash by hand (pots and pans, measuring spoons and cups, travel mugs, spatulas, etc), that even with a dishwasher I can't keep up with the kitchen mess. I definitely have a limited amount of cleaning energy on weeknights and sometimes I'm just DONE. I'll leave one little thing in the sink because I've reached my limit.

I'm trying to buy only dishwasher safe things from now on, and to get used to loading it up and running it more often. Right now I run it maybe once a week, which is definitely not taking advantage!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Amy, could you put everything dishwasher-safe into the dishwasher as soon as you've used it, then it won't be sitting around taking up space or looking untidy, and you won't hand wash it without thinking?
I don't know if that is workable for you or if things would go mouldy before you build up a full load, or there are things you need to use frequently that you only have one of.

I'm quite proud of myself at the moment because I tidied up in preparation for a gas safety check and my space does feel more pleasant to be in now. Although I noticed after the plumbers had gone that there are a LOT of spider webs on the kitchen windowsill, which they would have seen. Oh well. I'm still going to enjoy the relative tidiness.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 am 
Saggy Butt

aelle wrote:
When we moved into this apartment, the landlord had left a rather large carpet (maybe 1,5m in diameter?) in the rather large bathroom. It looks surprisingly clean, but I'd still like the option to clean it, because bathroom. How the hell does one wash a carpet?

Could you hire a rug doctor or borrow a carpet washer from someone? I have one for my carpet, because dogs, and it's pretty good at getting things clean.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21