| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

aww, vijita, don't beat yourself up. you already answered your question. you work 6 days a week and have freelance projects and cook a lot. chances are the other people work much less and potentially throw frozen dinners in. (or don't work at all.)

also, some people prefer working outside. if you had looked at my garden and made an assumption about the state of my house inside, you'd be sorely mistaken. :-p (but i'm also unemployed. so i have the time. i remember how little i would garden when i had a job. it made me really sad.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

+1. the only way the house thing works well is because we have a tiny house, and my garden/yard is able to survive without much attention for a week at a time. i used to be the person who did it all and now enjoy being able to relax on occasion. As my favorite garden person says, if too much looks like it needs your attention, just take off your glasses and have a glass of iced tea.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 am 
Inflexitarian

Vijita, it's impossible to move from a small apartment to a sprawling multi-bedroom house (with yard!) and keep things clean and organized at the same rate. Five years ago I moved from a one bedroom apartment to a three bedroom house (provided by my new job), and it was a cleaning nightmare, especially given that I worked nonstop. Two years ago I moved back into a one bedroom apartment and feel (slightly and occasionally) more on top of things.

Can you hire a teenager from your neighbourhood to mow your lawn? Or get some other help with any of your cleaning/tidying? Taking care of a house is really so different than an apartment; I had no idea how much more work it would be.

On a related note, I'm really enjoying Jezebel's "Year of the Clean Person" monthly series. I've reorganized/cleaned my desk, about half of my bookshelves, my office at work, and purged a large number of bags of clothes. Getting rid of stuff feels so good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Yard work is a never ending monster. We have to keep up on the mowing because that's where the dogs poop/bugs, and since it's been so cool the grass has been growing more than it would normally at this point in the summer. Brian and I have an electric mower, and everyone laughs at us but we've had it for 7 years and it still cuts fine, we never have to buy gas, and you get used to stepping over the cord. They're fairly affordable:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ... wn%20mower

And then there's the constant weed struggle, and the tree in the back yard is right behind the house so it's constantly dropping branches on the deck.

I agree that if you can spare the cash and would rather not buy a lawn mower, hire someone to mow your yard every two weeks. You could also hire someone to come and clean like, once a month? If you and your husband both work and you aren't able to keep the house as clean as you would like to, there's nothing wrong with hiring someone else to do it. If I could afford to have someone come over once a month and deep clean, I totally would because I always forget stuff like dusting up above, baseboards, etc. and I hate mopping and scrubbing the shower aggravates my shoulder.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:02 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Is an electric mower not the standard? My parents always had electric mowers.

I need to clean NOW because I have a flat inspection sometime tomorrow and I'll be leaving for work at 06.35 tomorrow morning. It's 18.02 now. Blech.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm 

ours is electric, but it charges a battery instead of being corded it works fine. (i think people are making fun of her because of the "inconvenience" of a cord) meh. haters gonna hate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I think they think it's some weird hippie thing, my father-in-law actually bought it for me when we lived on the army base when Brian was deployed, because I was complaining about having to walk down to the housing office every week and push a lawnmower home and back, and pulling the cord on mowers and things like that really bother my shoulder. Obviously it would be easier to mow if we had a self-propelled mower, but I like that you can turn the mower off just by letting go of the switch and not have to pull a cord to get it started all over again.

Whenever we do yardwork, we always do it together because neither of us really likes it and obviously two people doing it gets things done faster. I pick up the poop and Brian mows the grass, and while he's mowing i'll pull weeds or gather up yard waste to put in the bin. Or if we don't mow on the weekend (like Saturday it rained and yesterday I was in no position to be upright), i'll pick up the poop and mow the back yard during the day and then leave the mower out and Brian will do the front when he gets home. Our back yard is pretty big, we could actually justify another riding mower if we had the money for one, but the front yard is a pretty manageable size. I swear Brian mows faster than I do though, it takes me a good hour to do the back by myself.

I wish i'd know about that Year of the Clean Person challenge earlier, I would've done most of that stuff!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I've successfully kept my place tidy for a few weeks now! There have been no dish or laundry mountains, I'm vacuuming a few times a week to keep the cat hair at bay, and surface cleaning almost every day. I'm not going to bother doing any deep cleaning/organizing projects since we're moving in a few weeks.

It really doesn't take all that long to keep things presentable, though I am nervous about moving into a bigger place to keep clean.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I was meant to mow the lawn out front this evening but I totally forgot. It would have been too awkward anyway because that weird neighbour is out and he just creeps me out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:00 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I put out a bag of recyclable stuff that has been hanging round between weeks and months. Got together a sack of rubbish to go out tomorrow morning when I don't have to drag a wheelie bin around in the dark. I washed, dried and put away a sink-full of dishes, and I folded and put away some of my laundry mountain. It's only scratching the surface but it's better than nothing.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

haha! on saturday i finally got the recycling out- it had been MONTHS. like 3 and a half. our recycling only comes early early saturday morning, and our trash comes late on Friday night, and you can't put them out at the same time or the trash guys throw the recycling away, so i've missed it forever. trashcomplishments!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Thanks for the support and advice guys! I will look into an electric mower, but the suggestion to hire a neighbourhood kid sounds good, especially in the summer. I never think about stuff like that because apartment living was so uncomplicated!

I am going to be monstrously fit come winter for all the shovelling we will need to be doing. I actually don't mind shovelling snow, but I have a feeling I'm going to burn out when I'm still doing the workload I have right now!

Our garbage/recycling pick-up is AWESOME (we can recycle/compost almost everything), but every person on the road putting out compost on the same day means bears. I haven't yet seen all these bears everyone keeps talking about, but when I drive to work on pick-up day I see their wrath! It sucks because everything has to go in clear bags, which I understand, but it's not exactly bear proof and feeding bears is really bad AND the pick-up definitely does not clean up the litter box crepe scattered all over the road. Yet another thing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:42 am 

could you maybe suggest to the town that they build lockable compost dumpsters on every block?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:51 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my mother lives in bear country and this was an ongoing problem while I was there. you could potentially build something at the top of your driveway, or shared bins, as Supercarrot suggests, to contain your trash, or you could consider things like bungee cording the lids onto your trash cans, which sometimes works (or sometimes peas off the trash company so much that they stop doing pickup at your house). I would contact your town or trash company and ask what they suggest in terms of bear containment, they may even have some sort of container they prefer you use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:40 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, Vijita, definitely contact the council about providing bear proof bins. Someone I know recently wrote to their council because all the residents in their building had to put their rubbish in on large, outside bin. It had no lid so seagulls would rip open the bin bags and scatter waste everywhere which was disgusting, a health hazard and lowered the tone of the area. Lidded bins were installed!
I'm sure bears make even more of a mess, quite apart from the other problems involved with attracting them, and it's not as though this will be a temporary problem, so they really ought to do something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:42 am 

Vijita, I would hire someone to mow for the time being, and depending on the size of your driveway, start saving for a lawn tractor that is big enough to put a plow attachment on for the winter. It would be a large initial investment, but would last you years with minimal maintenance. With that comment I'm assuming you have a yard big enough to justify a riding mower.

Also, I bet one of your neighbours will have a truck with a plow on the front come winter, and you could pay them a few bucks to take care of your driveway too - failing that, if you see another neighbour using a plow service, talk to the company about getting a cheaper rate for both of you if you sign on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 pm 

and a cheaper option for the time being (but only if you don't have a gravel drive, i suppose) is to get a snowblower.

or a heat gun? i imagine the water would freeze pretty quickly, though. :-/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:42 am 

Thanks for the advice everyone! SC, I do have a gravel drive. I think we just might have to budget for contracted snow removal.

Unfortunately, the garbage/recycling programs is not open to any bear-proof solutions (it's been in the paper, and instead they suggest those "worried" about bears to just bring their stuff to the two centres but that's a 25 minute drive for us).

So, my neighbours across the street (who I haven't introduced myself to but probably should, right? Is that what people who buy houses do? I have no neighbours to the left and right on my side for quite a while) have every outdoor equipment known to man and they have two houses on their property and are obviously retired or have a lot of money because all they do is perfect their veggie farm and make their property look beautiful--anyway--would it be weird to ask them for help or to rent their equipment when I go introduce myself? We were told by the guy we bought our house from that they are really nice, and I really think we need that neighbourly connection because when we had the hurricane we were crazy unprepared (and it wasn't even that bad).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 am 
Seagull of the PPK

you need to make the neighbors something delicious and bring it over, covered with a cloth napkin, when you introduce yourself. i`ve found being the nice neighbor who likes to share a lot of fun (though heaven knows it doesn`t come naturally to me)- and a good way to make sure people are keeping an eye out for my house when someone is stealing mail, breaking in, etc etc. (we've had the neighbor call Mr T at work to say the dog looked ill, someone was fooling around with my water hookup, etc).
I wouldn`t ask them about the equipment the first time you meet them, but go bring them some homemade berry lemonade or something and get to know them. Ask about their veggie farm. Wave at them when you go by. You still have about fifteen minutes before the snow starts up there, after you know them a bit you can ask about the plowing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:08 am 

Good advice! I don't know what is stopping me from going over there, I'm just so shy when it comes to actually approaching a person's home! Plus they've probably seen me crying on the porch and running around like a crazy person the two times Puddy got out and I was running around yelling for her, and that one time we had 5 huge bags of cider bottles (not from our own consumption, but from an event we worked that wouldn't recycle for us) out for recycling pickup. BUT I am making a massive batch of barbecue sauce tonight that I sell at our farm market at work, so at least that's something kind of cool?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there you go, perfect. you may find out they have kitties or something too, and if Puddy gets out again, then they can be enlisted to help.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 am 

We've got a good sized closet in our den that I've been planning on turning into a pantry. This closet has been pretty full with stuff since we moved in over 4.5 years ago. Some of it is junk the previous owners left behind and the rest was mostly boxes that we put in there on moving day and never looked at again.

Now the closet is almost totally empty and I can get to work pantry-ifying. There's a bottle of Frank's and some oatmeal in there already so we are off to a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh man. I've let my room go to pot. And it's not live I've been particularly busy or anything! Just a lazy sod. Even sitting here on my bed typing this, I don't feel is enough to actually get me up and cleaning. Meh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:24 pm 
And you never will.

You guys, my house has one of those rotating corner cabinet things for spices and stuff, and I loaded it up when we moved in over three years ago, and I've never ever cleaned it since. It's gotten kind of gross, but the thought of taking out and organizing ALL of my spices and stuff is sort of overwhelming. I should probably take care of that, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:27 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

poopiebitch wrote:
You guys, my house has one of those rotating corner cabinet things for spices and stuff, and I loaded it up when we moved in over three years ago, and I've never ever cleaned it since. It's gotten kind of gross, but the thought of taking out and organizing ALL of my spices and stuff is sort of overwhelming. I should probably take care of that, right?

This is the perfect kind of task for 20/10s. Work on it for twenty minutes, then do something enjoyable for ten minutes. Repeat until done. And it'll probably end up taking much less time to do than you think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 578 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next