| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: the clean/tidy home support thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

MoniDew wrote:
mollyjade wrote:
MoniDew, it seems like that is a really common theme on UFYH, so you're not alone. I know one thing the author suggests is starting with a part of your house that's meaningful to you and working on cleaning it a little at a time as a nice thing to do for yourself.

UFYH?

Unfuck Your Habitat

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Thank you! I joined tumblr just to follow this! :D I hope it helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

MoniDew wrote:

If you have an ipad/iphone there's an UFYH app with lots of unf@#%ing challenges. I also follow them on Facebook and they'll post great inspirations/challenges!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:
Jogirl, I can't see your photos. I don't know if that's an ipad/safari issue or if you've got them set to private, though.

Thanks, I changed the settings, hopefully they show up now!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Isa, that's a lot of progress! Looking so good!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:15 am 
WRETCHED

lepelaar wrote:
MoniDew wrote:

If you have an ipad/iphone there's an UFYH app with lots of unf@#%ing challenges. I also follow them on Facebook and they'll post great inspirations/challenges!

That sounds good. I looked at the Tumblr and it looked like a things we already generally do? We make our bed and do some general cleanup. Things that are often forgotten are putting laundry away after it is clean, mostly because we do laundry while doing other things on the weekend.

This past weekend, my husband and I did a cleanup for 2-3 hours each, vacuuming and just focusing on our main floor. I also cleaned the bathrooms.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I am hoping Chore Wars will help my roommate and I get our new place under control.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think I need in on this thread. My home is not too bad. We just moved into this apartment at the start of June, and we got about 90% unpacked basically right away. There's still a bit of my partner's stuff that he needs to find places for, a few pieces of furniture that need to go into our storage, and a broken futon that needs to be dumped. We're custom-making a desk, which means a lot of our desk/office type things are in temporary homes, so once we complete it, that will make things much tidier.

Also, I have two kids who love to spread their toys across the house. We mostly keep it contained to their room and the play area in the corner of the living room, but our newly-walking child likes to carry then drop things as he wanders the apartment. It gets messy everyday, but it's not too bad if we do a daily or twice-daily pick up. Same with the kitchen - if I empty the dishes in the morning and tidy up as I pack lunch/make breakfast, it stays pretty clean. We try to follow the "clean as you go" rule. It makes big clean ups fewer and further between.

I do want to sort and organize my desk stuff in advance of actually finishing the desk/workspace so I know what's going in there, so I might take some before/after pictures for this thread! Maybe it will get me a bit more motivated!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Right, my challenge room is either the hardest or the easiest room to start with, depending on how you look at it. This is our guest room/cat's room.

View from the door - not too bad. But then...

The right side of the room, where we've just piled a bunch of crepe.

Another angle on the crepe pile.

Nearly all of the boxes are empty; we've just been too lazy to take them to the recycling point. Only one of the vacuum cleaners works, but afaik, everything else works. It's basically just a matter of getting rid of a few things that need to be binned and finding places to put the stuff we want to keep. I just need to clear it all out before I can paint, and then I'll actually have one room decorated. It's mostly just a matter of getting started, but there's also the problem of getting the big junk items to the dump. Since we don't have a car, that's something that'll have to wait for one of Mike's parents to come down.

I'm setting myself the goal of getting this room as done as possible (clearout-wise) by the weekend, then starting on a harder room. This'll be my warm-up room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Managed to get enough energy together to clear out a small box that's been hanging around since I moved in 7 years ago. Pretty much all of the contents ended up in the bin. The only things I kept from it was some of my mortgage documents and some CDs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

daisychain wrote:
Managed to get enough energy together to clear out a small box that's been hanging around since I moved in 7 years ago. Pretty much all of the contents ended up in the bin. The only things I kept from it was some of my mortgage documents and some CDs.

Go you!

I think it's telling that many of our junk rooms contain vacuum cleaners.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yay, daisychain!

I decided to tackle the boxes of books today.

Before:

After:

I wasn't able to unpack all of them, because I don't have enough bookcases yet, but the ones I can't put away now have been sorted. The ones for my office have been put upstairs in boxes, and the rest of the boxes have been put aside so they're not in the way. The two boxes that are still visible in the pictures are DVDs. Still haven't decided how I want to store/display those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

One of my few major peeves about our house is that there is only one downstairs closet, and I can fit the vacuum in there but that's it. So I have to keep the carpet cleaner and the steam mop in the sunroom bathroom, which there's totally room for it but it just. Bugs me.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

rachell37 wrote:
... It's mostly just a matter of getting started, but there's also the problem of getting the big junk items to the dump. Since we don't have a car, that's something that'll have to wait for one of Mike's parents to come down.

I'm setting myself the goal of getting this room as done as possible (clearout-wise) by the weekend, then starting on a harder room. This'll be my warm-up room.

Does you local council offer a bulk waste collection service? Ours will pick up up to five bulky items every couple of months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

daisychain wrote:

Result!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:15 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Looks great, lepelaar!

I only just got in from work but it'll be onwards for me once I've had my dinner (inspired by the bowls thread!). Hopefully I'll be able to post some photos soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Well done lepelaar! That looks great so far!

Forgot to say that box emptying happened last night after I read through this thread. In there again now pulling my hair out not knowing where to blooming start!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lepelaar, that looks great!

Well done, daisychain!

dropscone wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
... It's mostly just a matter of getting started, but there's also the problem of getting the big junk items to the dump. Since we don't have a car, that's something that'll have to wait for one of Mike's parents to come down.

Does you local council offer a bulk waste collection service? Ours will pick up up to five bulky items every couple of months.

I thought they did, but the only thing I can find on bulk item pick-up says there's a charge. Boo-urns.

I managed to get the recycling taken out (also did some from the kitchen). It's a small difference, but at least something is done. I also did a load of laundry, and now all the rest of my laundry fits in the hamper! OK, this doesn't include Mike's stuff, but the point is that it hasn't all fit in the hamper since we moved in, so that's pretty damn good. I'm really close to getting that done!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Done a few minutes of clear-up in the end. I took out a suitcase that was full of junk and dumped most of it and held on to the sentimental stuff. Also took out a heap of recycling, a broken laptop, broken fan heater and moved the 3 suitcases to the other room for now. They will be going into the attic when I can borrow a ladder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Lots of progress shared so far!

My apartment is completely clean right now, thanks to the fact that I pay someone to come every two weeks, and she just a left.

That still leaves all these weird cluttered areas. Maybe if I list them it will help me tackle more:
Bathroom closet drawers are overflowing
Two bedside tables with drawers completely filled with junk
Crusty spots on the sectional that need scrubbing
Crusty spots on the doors and wall in baby's room
Baby's closet is out of control
Need system to organize baby toys: shelves? Bins?
Kitchen drawers
Dresser drawers

I guess I have a problem with drawers. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm so glad this thread is here, because of course I forgot about my pledge to clean about 10 minutes after posting it. But then I saw this thread and it reminded me!

I decided to work on clearing out the old magazines first. I'm always convinced that I'll want to go back and reference old magazine articles, but of course I almost never do. I avoided looking at anything else in the closet, because I knew it would seem like an insurmountable task if I saw everything in there. So I went right to the magazine corner and pulled out a stack, and dumped them on my bed to go through (figuring I couldn't ignore them if they were covering my bed). I put aside a few I wanted to keep and put some of the most recent vegetarian and animal related ones in a bag to leave at the animal shelter for the public to take. If no one takes those after a few weeks, I'll recycle them. The rest went into paper bags to be put out with the recycling tomorrow morning. There's tons more still in there, but it's difficult to get them out of the closet because of all the clutter I have to climb over and I was getting tired. So I'll do more tomorrow. This was a small start, but at least it's a start!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lobsteriffic wrote:
I like the idea of having a chore every weekday so the weekends are free. I resent cleaning because I feel like between running errands, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping, my weekend is gone!

Yep. I hate that feeling. My bf and I are trying to start a few small habits when I get back home in August. We want to go for a walk before dinner (to avoid the current habit of gorging on food in front of the tv and letting the rest of the day waste away) and we also want to get our house chores in order.

This is really embarrassing, but my bf had to have a "house meeting" with me about my messiness and about doing some of the chores. I have trouble with this stuff because it all seems like so much! I think my bf and I need to work out a chore list of things we want done every day and stuff we would like done.

Between a serious depression and grad school, everything went to hell and the guilt of not doing my housework made it all worse. But I am so ready to turn over a new leaf! Got the UFYH app to game things a little. I won't be home until after the first week of August, but trying to mentally prepare myself and helping my mom clean her place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mandycoot wrote:
One thing that really helps me keep clutter down is when I have something that needs to be done, put away, or otherwise dealt with, if it will take less than 5 minutes, I force myself to do it immediately.

This is similar to the GTD method of productivity. David Allen talks about breaking projects down into individual actions, but if something takes less the two minutes, do it. I'm trying to apply the gtd method in my work and can see if working in household stuff, too. He also talks about finding time in between certain tasks...so wash up some dishes while the rice cooks or clean out the cat box while backing up my computer. And so on. Usually I use this time for goofing off...reading online or watching tv. I need to rethink some of that time as opportunities for doing some chores.

My biggest hurdle is not seeing housework as one big thing to do. I'm trying to go the gtd route of breaking things down by mini actions that can slowly work me toward something. It's a big mental shift, though, and I still haven't figured it out. That goes for work,too.

Thinking in terms like "i need to clean the house" and "I need to grade papers" leads to crazy procrastination because they are huge and vague.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lobsteriffic wrote:
Moon wrote:
I had to suck up my pride and paid someone to help me clean for a few hours a couple weeks ago. She helped me get the main floor to base-level clean so I have been able to just barely keep on top of things.

Sometimes Groupons come up for cleaning services and I wonder about doing this, but then I get all anxious about it. What do I do while a cleaning person is in my apartment cleaning? Do I just hang out? Am I supposed to talk to him/her? Aside from the social anxiety, I'd also feel embarrassed about how messy my shower tiles are and stuff. I have a 1 bedroom apartment so it's not like I can be very far away from where he/she is cleaning.

But I really, really hate cleaning things like bathtubs, and I do a pretty shitty job of it. So maybe the awkwardness is worth it.

I've thought about it, too. To be honest, if I do it I'm going to ask if I can clean with him/her just to learn and also to help. I think a deep clean by a professional would be really worth it once in a while if the price is right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:14 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Today, I started on a big problem both Brian and I have: all of the t-shirts! I hate giving up clothes, it's not like I buy a lot but they accumulate when you refuse to give them up. I didn't have much of a problem before everyone was putting funny things on t-shirts. Anyway, none of the bedroom closets are very big so when we moved in I simply hung up the stuff I wear regularly in our bedroom and put the other stuff in other bedrooms and sight unseen and all that. Well, we keep running out of hangers when we're actually completely caught up on laundry. We have room for more hangers in our main closet, but it's a little ridic so here's what I did:

Took a pile of wire hangers left by the former owners and pulled things out of our main closet that I absolutely will not wear unless all of my other clothes are dirty. I've been rotating my clothes by season for years, so all of my sweaters and shiitake are already out of there and I managed to free up seven hangers without sacrificing a single t-shirt. When Brian came home, I had him do the same and we freed up 13 hangers total, and only three of those were trash shirts. The rest, I hung on the wire hangers and put in a spare closet so when it's time to donate, I can take them hangers and all down to the thrift store. If I just fold stuff and put it in a box the cats will sleep in it before it gets out of the door.

I'm going to try and pull out the plastic tubs tomorrow and do the same thing. I know I have a whole pile of pants that don't fit, and a ton of work clothes that I wouldn't wear ever again, so i'm hoping my goal of 50 pieces of clothing out the door will be easy to meet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next