| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do I have to go to the office Christmas party?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:46 pm 
Hip Goiter

I know, I know, I have to. But I am really uncomfortable just thinking about it! I have absolutely no one to talk to at this place, no one my age; the people I work closely with are 30-50 years older than me; I get really anxious in uncomfortable social situations; it's at a freaking bowling alley; I will have no one to talk to; it's like 5 hours of discomfort. K now I'm just complaining but dayum I really don't want to go. But obviously I have to bc guess what - it's on a weekday afternoon. So it's not like I can have other plans, bc the other plans for that day would be working in the office! Ughhhh.

Laughfrodisiac

Post subject: Re: Do I have to go to the office Christmas party?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

RandiJM wrote:
I know, I know, I have to. But I am really uncomfortable just thinking about it! I have absolutely no one to talk to at this place, no one my age; the people I work closely with are 30-50 years older than me; I get really anxious in uncomfortable social situations; it's at a freaking bowling alley; I will have no one to talk to; it's like 5 hours of discomfort. K now I'm just complaining but dayum I really don't want to go. But obviously I have to bc guess what - it's on a weekday afternoon. So it's not like I can have other plans, bc the other plans for that day would be working in the office! Ughhhh.

I just hate when I get those all-of-a-sudden paralyzing migraines when I need to be somewhere important ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

can't you just go for an hour or two then go home? I assume no one's going back to the office so they won't know if you're there or at the party probably. Office parties suck though, I feel your pain.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:59 pm 
Chard Martyr

No, you don't have to go. Be a rebel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Do you drink? Is it open bar? From what I can recall of bowling alley bartenders, they are usually heavy-handed, so a few drinks like that and you'll be everyone's friend. Assuming they don't keep you all holed up in the banquet room or whatever, maybe you can tell some folks to show up and "accidentally" run into you while you're there.

The last place I worked at stopped having off site parties two years before I started working there. The best we would get was a buffet lunch in the space between the office/factory and the warehouse. I know it's better than nothing, but I am actually kind of jealous of your bowling alley shindig. Try and have a good time, even if you only stay for an hour or so.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh and just to make you feel better, I am bugging because I have to go on a forking teambuilding retreat for 4 whole days with my department and I can't stand the thought of it. Right now I would gladly trade a 5 hour party for that...but yeah it's all relative.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'd call in sick that day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:04 pm 
Chard Martyr

Quarantined wrote:
oh and just to make you feel better, I am bugging because I have to go on a forking teambuilding retreat for 4 whole days with my department and I can't stand the thought of it. Right now I would gladly trade a 5 hour party for that...but yeah it's all relative.

Now that is misery.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Maybe you just realized you had a dentist appointment the day of and canceling has a 50 dollar fee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

:( You don't have to go but it might be good to help you with your akwardness or anxiety if you have it. I am having the same dillema. (been off work for 2 mths and the boss really wanst me to go, not to mention my bf works there and he needs a date)

Have fun with whatever you decide to do. ((((hugs))))

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugh. I totally feel your pain. I hate hate hate Christmas parties, even when they're really amazing, at great places, with fantastic vegan food. Because I hate interacting with my colleagues.

Sadly a huge part of being successful at lawfirms is interacting socially with the people who decide whether to staff you on deals and ultimately whether to make you partner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:30 pm 
Hip Goiter

Meggs wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Now that is misery.

Oh man that is terrible! Good luck with that. Do you get to stay at a nice place at least?

Darn it Tofulish, you always have to be the voice of reason that I know is right. :P

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I think you should skip the party and come have dinner with me in the city. Especially if you want to become the kind of cranky old lady who spends all day on the PPK cackling at the screen like a lunatic.

Last edited by Tofulish on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

RandiJM wrote:
Meggs wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

Now that is misery.

Oh man that is terrible! Good luck with that. Do you get to stay at a nice place at least?

I dunno yet, they haven't told us where we're going, it all seems so ominous. FML

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

Quarantined wrote:
I dunno yet, they haven't told us where we're going, it all seems so ominous. FML

Ominous and scary. Magical mystery hell teambuilding tour.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm 
Semen Strong

We did one at the Mohonk Mountain House which was superawesome. http://www.mohonk.com/ I skipped out on almost all the teamy stuff and enjoyed my superawesome room and lots of superawesome hiking. I'm basically a hermit.

I hope yours is fun.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The thing is I heard you have to share rooms, which seems super awkward to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:00 pm 
Semen Strong

Ugggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I feel your pain. I can't think of anything worse than having to share a hotel room with a colleague.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I know right? I'm doomed.

Anyway sorry to derail your thread RandiJM, but you should feel a lot better now that you know the hell that awaits me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

Derail away! I want to know how yours goes!

Mine isn't until the 16th so I have time to figure out how to handle it, I guess. The thing is, the place is in North Philly, in an area that everyone needs to drive to, so we're carpooling from the office. Meaning, how the f*** do I get out of there before it's over?? I CAN'T! That's what is scary, ughh.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:28 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Actually, though, having the bowling (I am assuming, with the venue) gives you something to focus on besides staring at colleagues or whatever. Could that be fun? Maybe?

I work from home so I am terribly uncomfortable with on-campus events, they always feel so awkward for me; everyone else has friends but me, it feels like. That said, I had an all-day thing last Friday (with vegan food!!!) and I just started talking with some folks I had never met before. It was enjoyable after awhile. I hated the part where I was standing around all by myself between sessions, so I do feel your pain, but in the end I was glad I was there and it was probably good for me to be seen at a campus event, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Make yourself feel better by calling in sick the next day and having a mental health day. <3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

~Sz wrote:
Actually, though, having the bowling (I am assuming, with the venue) gives you something to focus on besides staring at colleagues or whatever. Could that be fun? Maybe?

I was dreading a similar team-building event a few months ago. The bowling actually wasn't bad, everyone spent most of the time cheering for the bowler, so we didn't have to talk much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

at a bowling alley? I'm so sorry. Maybe you can make an appearance and then slip out rather quickly?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 pm 
Married to the wolfman

What everyone else said, go and make a cameo appearance, bowl a frame or two, and go home!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!