| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448 ... 593  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

The ex-landlords are lying about the damage to the old house. Claiming there was cat pee everywhere. Not even. They are also saying that we didn't vent the bathroom. Nope... only ran the fan 24-7 and still mold.
I am so glad I will never have to deal with them again. My lawyer will. And they will not enjoy that.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kfad wrote:
The ex-landlords are lying about the damage to the old house. Claiming there was cat pee everywhere. Not even. They are also saying that we didn't vent the bathroom. Nope... only ran the fan 24-7 and still mold.
I am so glad I will never have to deal with them again. My lawyer will. And they will not enjoy that.

I went through the same thing last year (only no cats!). It was an old house and the landlord claimed all wear and tear as 'damage' caused by our dogs, even though the house hadn't been painted or upgraded since the 80s. Right, it was our tiny dogs that caused the paint to peel from the window frames that they could never hope to reach. She hired a gardener to come around (because our weeding 'wasn't good enough') and she took him through the house complaining about all the damage we'd caused- and he told her she was a forking idiot. We ended up only getting half of our deposit back on the place, but at that point we just wanted her to go away forever so we didn't fight too hard. Anyway, my sympathies! Some people just have no idea what a regular, lived-in house looks like.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:55 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Erinnerung wrote:
kfad wrote:

I went through the same thing last year (only no cats!). It was an old house and the landlord claimed all wear and tear as 'damage' caused by our dogs, even though the house hadn't been painted or upgraded since the 80s. Right, it was our tiny dogs that caused the paint to peel from the window frames that they could never hope to reach. She hired a gardener to come around (because our weeding 'wasn't good enough') and she took him through the house complaining about all the damage we'd caused- and he told her she was a forking idiot. We ended up only getting half of our deposit back on the place, but at that point we just wanted her to go away forever so we didn't fight too hard. Anyway, my sympathies! Some people just have no idea what a regular, lived-in house looks like.

Yeah, these guys have no kids and no idea what real life if like. They were furious that it would costs $1500 to have the tree removed, like we toppled it to make them mad.

Have fun with my lawyer, idiots. (The beer is helping a bit)

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

My mom, while saying she wanted to come visit me, tacked on "before I die, because you know, that probably won't be many years from now." she's 51, which makes me feel like it's kind of ridiculous, but also not in great health so. Still. Why would you say that to me?! It made my whole day kind of sad.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So yeah - you may not believe it, but another friend died today. This time an unbelievably selfless woman who nursed her mother through her long last illness and has been looking after a seriously ill older brother, in addition to raising a son with autism while coping with Lupus and fibromyalgia. So guess what she died of? Sleep apnea during a bout of the flu. She went to bed on the sofa so as not to keep her husband awake, and when he got up at 6am there she was, dead, with her beloved complete works of Jane Austen at her side. She was 50 years old, left a husband of 29 years, a 21 year old son, and a 16 year old Westie (Benny) who is wandering around the house looking for his Mama. I can't stop crying at the random cruelty of the universe.

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Oh Desdemona. That is really miserably sad. :[ I'm so sorry for your loss.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona, that is beyond sad. She was far too young and sounds far too lovely to leave already. Im so sorry. But I can't help but think she had such a peaceful passing, may we all be so lucky.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:48 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm visiting the town I grew up in and it's really changed... it's like all the fun has been sapped out of the air. No one is smiling! Anywhere! At home-home, people are all friendly, but it's like someone has pissed in the coffee here and everyone knows about it. My favourite shops are gone and lots of other shops are empty. I'm hoping Brighton will sort me out. I might go to WaiKikaMuKau and try one of jojo's cupcakes to cheer me up.

That said, I'm meeting up with a... frenemy? Former friend I'm giving a second chance? He's certainly not making it easy as he is only contactable by email and only seems to check it once a week. I'm trying to meet up for a light lunch but I have an eking suspicion that he will refuse to even get out of bed before one o'clock. After that, I'm meeting my biffle, so all be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:21 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

One of the people working under me on a project just ragequit on me, and from the tirade I got, it seems like the main problem she had was my management. I had no idea anything was even wrong, except that she was a bit stressed, until she ragequit. Now I'm a) having a crisis of confidence, and b) picking up all her duties on top of my own, and on top of working a seven-day week this week at my "real" job.

Oh, and this was a friend, too. fork.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am 
Ninja Master

Desdemona wrote:
So yeah - you may not believe it, but another friend died today. This time an unbelievably selfless woman who nursed her mother through her long last illness and has been looking after a seriously ill older brother, in addition to raising a son with autism while coping with Lupus and fibromyalgia. So guess what she died of? Sleep apnea during a bout of the flu. She went to bed on the sofa so as not to keep her husband awake, and when he got up at 6am there she was, dead, with her beloved complete works of Jane Austen at her side. She was 50 years old, left a husband of 29 years, a 21 year old son, and a 16 year old Westie (Benny) who is wandering around the house looking for his Mama. I can't stop crying at the random cruelty of the universe.

Oh this is so horribly sad, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Huge hugs, Desdemona. I can't even imagine how hard that must be for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Thanks, you guys. I am a huge forking mess today; I have a stack of papers to grade (sorry, kids!) and all the reading in the universe to do, but I can't seem to even get in the shower, and there's not enough tea or aspirin in the world. Here I am at 11:08am, still in my nightgown, puffy, exhausted, stunned...and every time I think of her doggie I burst into tears.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

:( Desdemona, that's completely awful. That shouldn't be something that happens.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I am so sorry Desdemona.

I am inordinately irritated with everyone today. Which is the worst. I don't know why, but every little thing is irking me. To the point where I am having troubles even being polite and civil. I nearly snapped at a friend who tried to schedule something with me last minute today.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One of my toenails has been in an unfortunate state for a couple of months. From running, it got bruised underneath. But it hadn't fallen off so I assumed that I just had to wait for it to grow out and regain its former structural integrity.

Anyway, it started falling off this morning. It's still attached at the root so I don't think I should just yank it off, so I wrapped it up to protect it from socks and shoes. It hurt (less now that it is protected, but I imagine it will hurt again later), and I was really cranky this morning because of it, and I was unkind to my girlfriend while cranky, and now I feel like a jerk :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Desdemona, that is unbelievably sad. I am so sorry for your loss.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Had to find and reread a bunch of docs from my (former!) PTSD-inducing PhD supervisor in preparation for a sure-to-be-stressful meeting with the research institute director on the 25th. Had to do the same for some other ridiculous documents I had to file with the institute from that time, which my current (lovely) supervisor requested, so that he can use them to defend me against the former supervisor ........ even though everyone pretty admits that those documents are bullshiitake. Ugh.

Also, desdemona? Hugs. Lots and lots of hugs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
Married to the wolfman

For one of the first times pretty much ever, I forgot that Valentine's Day is the birthday of someone who was really abusive and hurtful to me as a child. And then I remembered, was just jolted out of the blue by it. Oh, yeah.

I discussed this with a friend recently, but I'm so far past even being angry about it anymore. I remember how big of a thing it was to be able to feel angry about it the first time, how amazing that felt and how i thought i would always feel angry about it, and now there's no anger left. Just sadness for the child that I was, and just a lot of sadness for all the small stupid sad and horrible things humans do over and over again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:55 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

coldandsleepy wrote:
For one of the first times pretty much ever, I forgot that Valentine's Day is the birthday of someone who was really abusive and hurtful to me as a child. And then I remembered, was just jolted out of the blue by it. Oh, yeah.

I discussed this with a friend recently, but I'm so far past even being angry about it anymore. I remember how big of a thing it was to be able to feel angry about it the first time, how amazing that felt and how i thought i would always feel angry about it, and now there's no anger left. Just sadness for the child that I was, and just a lot of sadness for all the small stupid sad and horrible things humans do over and over again.

Oh man, lots of hugs to you, c&s. I'm getting the the "not angry just exhausted" point for someone like that in my life and it's just sad.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona wrote:

Jesus. I just saw this. I'm so sorry, Desdemona.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:33 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm so sorry Desdemona.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Lots of hugs, D. That little dog is such a haunting image.

I'm so , so sorry for you and your friend's family. Life really isn't fair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Big hugs to everyone in this thread. Worst thing for me was getting the letter saying my apartment's back on the market since I didn't sign the lease renewal (I hadn't decided as I've only been living here for under 6 months and was super angry that they were making me decide now). I really don't feel like moving again but also do not wish to live here anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lavawitch wrote:
Lots of hugs, D. That little dog is such a haunting image.
I know - I just can't shake it; it's...I can't articulate it properly. Thanks again to all of you for being so kind; I'm not going to pretend I'm not having a very difficult time right now. I don't know if I mentioned in my initial post that this week is the 6th anniversary of when my father went into the hospital and never came out, so the bad associations were there before all this stuff started happening. The random unkindness and/or indifference of the universe is weighing heavily on me just now, and I truly appreciate being able to come here and lay some of it down. The compassion and generosity of this community in times of need is one of the many things I love about the PPK. xoxo

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:48 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Can you shift some load to another TA? Or, at least, post a notice saying grades will be delayed. The students can suck it up and all but that one crasshole kid we all have will understand.

Just breathe and take care of yourself.

Reply to topic  [ 14801 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 442, 443, 444, 445, 446, 447, 448 ... 593  Next