| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452 ... 625  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:23 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

biorobotics wrote:
i found out we don't qualify for social assistance because the amount in our combined bank accounts is over $1000; my mom had just given me $1000 because i couldn't afford to pay for anything.
real life sucks.

Once you've gone down through the $1000 you should be able to reapply.

The other thing I've encountered (this is in a BC context, so I can't promise it'll be the same) is that if you already have x amount earmarked for necessities (I believe you're pregnant and soon to be due?) like winter clothes, diapers, crib, etc. they may let you keep a little over the cut-off. I'd recommend connecting with an agency that does social assistance advocacy, they can help you navigate the system.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Sra. Nooch wrote:
What the...

I guess my boyfriend and I breaking up isn't that bad. God, people.

hey what!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't know what right I have to be so forking miserable. I have two homeless students who are probably not going to graduate because they are failing all their classes. I can't help them. Kids shouldn't have such a raw deal. These are good, sweet kids who deserve better. Well, fork, all kids deserve better, but I know these two personally.

I don't know how to help them. I can give them snacks and modify their school work, but what else can I do? One girl cried on my shoulder yesterday because she is scared. She needs her parttime job at a supermarket, but the hours conflict with the after school program she needs to graduate. The other kids family are forking jackasses who refuse to accept any help or services. At least this girl is in a stable place right now. But what kind of parent would make their kid live in a car and starve instead of going to shelter and food bank? If you have a kid in tis situation, I don't feel that you have the right to your personal pride or whatever the fork. His mother refused the food gift cards from the school as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Mars wrote:
zwingtip wrote:
My parents. I was really looking forward to them visiting, this was not supposed to end with them storming out of my apartment because I was "snapping at them" and me crying in the bath tub. One of the first things they said to me was they hated my earring. They were upset that I picked a restaurant I wanted to go to instead of a fancy one to celebrate. I was sharing Middle English Prof's email with them because I was really excited at being treated like an adult with research interests and my dad seemed to think this was invitation to share why he thought my interest in medieval studies isn't real ("you're just running away because you're burnt out on physics"). And my mom doesn't seem to realise why "This doesn't come naturally to you why are you doing it" translates to "dude, you suck at humanities" in my brain. And also doesn't seem to understand that they're the only people in the world that I don't want to agree with me when I say I'm objectively bad at it. For some inexplicable reason I always really need their approval and for once in my life I don't have it. Happy forking birthday.

Dude, I love you and know you can do anything you set your mind to! And your ear piercings look lovely! Huggggg!

YEAH, WHAT MARS SAID. You are awesome and your earring is awesome and you're awesome at medieval studies and fork anyone who says anything different! (Want me to poo on their doorstep?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

after being "supportive" for 1-day short of six months, my hubby says "I figured you'd be back on meat by now, but it looks like you're serious about this vegan thing"... can't decide whether to punch the wall or cry... so I'll just get drunk instead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:
I don't know what right I have to be so forking miserable. I have two homeless students who are probably not going to graduate because they are failing all their classes. I can't help them. Kids shouldn't have such a raw deal. These are good, sweet kids who deserve better. Well, fork, all kids deserve better, but I know these two personally.

I don't know how to help them. I can give them snacks and modify their school work, but what else can I do? One girl cried on my shoulder yesterday because she is scared. She needs her parttime job at a supermarket, but the hours conflict with the after school program she needs to graduate. The other kids family are forking jackasses who refuse to accept any help or services. At least this girl is in a stable place right now. But what kind of parent would make their kid live in a car and starve instead of going to shelter and food bank? If you have a kid in tis situation, I don't feel that you have the right to your personal pride or whatever the fork. His mother refused the food gift cards from the school as well.

I don't understand how this is possible. I guess I'm realizing how ignorant I am about this stuff, that the state will let kids fall through the cracks like this. Isn't there a way she can receive some kind of financial assistance so she can graduate and not have to choose between her job and class time?? Isn't what the other parents are doing considered neglect, and aren't there some legal repercussions for that? This just breaks my heart.

And also, you aren't forbidden from being sad or unhappy just because someone else is having a rough time too. We all deserve to be happy! I always beat myself up for being depressed or whatever because I know other people have it worse. But really, it just points out how messed up this country is that we still have to worry about kids going hungry, having abusive parents, not receiving the education they're entitled to, and other really crappy situations that happen to people instead of focusing on other problems. We should be mad at the system, and not put it on ourselves. (This is something my school counselor said to me the other day when I was expressing similar sentiments, and it is changing my life.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:25 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

couroupita wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I don't understand how this is possible. I guess I'm realizing how ignorant I am about this stuff, that the state will let kids fall through the cracks like this. Isn't there a way she can receive some kind of financial assistance so she can graduate and not have to choose between her job and class time?? Isn't what the other parents are doing considered neglect, and aren't there some legal repercussions for that? This just breaks my heart.

And also, you aren't forbidden from being sad or unhappy just because someone else is having a rough time too. We all deserve to be happy! I always beat myself up for being depressed or whatever because I know other people have it worse. But really, it just points out how messed up this country is that we still have to worry about kids going hungry, having abusive parents, not receiving the education they're entitled to, and other really crappy situations that happen to people instead of focusing on other problems. We should be mad at the system, and not put it on ourselves. (This is something my school counselor said to me the other day when I was expressing similar sentiments, and it is changing my life.)

^everything that couroupita said! Also, LW...does your state not have mandatory reporting for teachers? Like aren't you required to report it if you have reason to believe there is child abuse or neglect occurring?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

_rootVeg wrote:
after being "supportive" for 1-day short of six months, my hubby says "I figured you'd be back on meat by now, but it looks like you're serious about this vegan thing"... can't decide whether to punch the wall or cry... so I'll just get drunk instead.

Hey, good for you! Going strong for 6 months is not easy! Maybe he was hoping it was a phase, but the longer you go, the more and more he'll see how committed you are! Sometimes we have to remind our family how important their support really is to our well being. And who knows, maybe after a while you'll rub off on him :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm not responsible for reporting directly. It varies by state. My duties as a mandated reporter require me to submit a report in writing to the official school reporter. It goes me, counselor or other school official and then report. Anyway, reports filed but it takes time and if they lie and use a relatives address all we can do is report again.

I know the school social worker is involved but Im not in that loop so Ill learn only what the kid chooses to tell me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 am 

I am moving tomorrow. I had lined six people to help, figuring someone would flake and I would still be fine numberswise. At this point all but my mom have flaked. And all for good reasons (work, forgotten volunteer shift, skating lesson, last-minute houseguests) but it really forking sucks. Because my health is still pretty crappy and my mom is 60 and not in the best shape so I don't want to ask her to lift heavy things. And we have the van for a limited time. Gah!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That is awful, Dubs. Is there anyone you can have come over even for and hour to help you move the heavy stuff into the van?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

j-dub wrote:
(I believe you're pregnant and soon to be due?) like winter clothes, diapers, crib, etc. they may let you keep a little over the cut-off. I'd recommend connecting with an agency that does social assistance advocacy, they can help you navigate the system.

hold on, i'm a guy, sorry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

That would be me having a breakdown and bawling my eyes out, while simultaneously feeling helpless about the panic attacks I've been having and not being completely happy with our bathroom reno...and blaming myself for it. I feel so incredibly lost.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 pm 

biorobotics wrote:
j-dub wrote:
(I believe you're pregnant and soon to be due?) like winter clothes, diapers, crib, etc. they may let you keep a little over the cut-off. I'd recommend connecting with an agency that does social assistance advocacy, they can help you navigate the system.

hold on, i'm a guy, sorry.

Okay...probably not pregnant then! Sorry, I was definitely thinking of someone else!

The rest of my post may be applicable, though...if you have the money ear-marked for something they deem "necessary" they might let it go. Otherwise you'll have to spend down. Unfortunately, in BC at least (I assume it's similar) they want you to spend absolutely everything you can, even if it puts you in a bad place (e.g. maxing out any and every credit card, line of credit, etc).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 pm 
Dead by dawn

(biodancer is pregnant)

(Which is, by no means, the worst thing about my day!)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:12 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
(biodancer is pregnant)

(Which is, by no means, the worst thing about my day!)

Thank you! I was starting to wonder if I'd imagined a pregnant bio-somebody.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
Semen Strong

paprikapapaya wrote:
That would be me having a breakdown and bawling my eyes out, while simultaneously feeling helpless about the panic attacks I've been having and not being completely happy with our bathroom reno...and blaming myself for it. I feel so incredibly lost.

((((((hugs)))))) So many hugs. I am sorry you are feeling lost and low. <3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 pm 
Impressive boner

May be coming down with the flu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

lavawitch wrote:

That just made me cry. I hate that kids have to go through this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just had huge, nasty argument with my flatmate. I hate it when we fight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

Just was making the bed, thought I stepped on a cat toy underneath. Nope. Dead mouse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Worrying when I found out that my best friend was going in for a c-section after 30 hours of labour. Luckily it was short lived and I will visit tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:53 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

joshua wrote:
Sra. Nooch wrote:
What the...

hey what!

... yep. We are cool but my heart feels like it just got a cavity drilled at the dentist. I can fill you in when it makes more sense to me. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

ah hugs :( that empty feeling is the worst :(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Sra. Nooch wrote:
joshua wrote:
Sra. Nooch wrote:
What the...

hey what!

... yep. We are cool but my heart feels like it just got a cavity drilled at the dentist. I can fill you in when it makes more sense to me. Ugh.

I'm so sorry! (((hugs)))

Also, so many (((hugs))) to so many people... LW, you are doing so much for your students, and I'm sure that they know and appreciate that you care.

This thread is extra sad today. I'm sorry, everyone.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451, 452 ... 625  Next