| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457 ... 647  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hearing the news about Valerie Harper. I'm such a fan of hers, this is just really sad :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Discovering several minutes into eating it that my white bean hummus was moldy.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Semen Strong

Trying to have a conversation with my father who then got confused and upset. He is losing his cognitive abilities so fast...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Someone wrote a horrible transphobic biphobic ableist (with bonus racism) blog article about my boyfriend. I am torn between shaking with murderous rage and wanting to fly to London and give him all the hugs in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Worked on a catering proposal most of last night, polished it up this morning, sent it off, waited all day for a response, only to realize....I HAD SENT IT TO THE WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS.

(I rectified the situation hours later, but still feel like an idiot.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I think I might have strep throat.

Also, I'm going to have to start looking at our budget again with the possibility that my husband, myself or both of us could be laid off soon. I think I am more likely but I rather be prepared than not. And even if we don't, I'm guessing a lot of people we know will be laid off if lay offs happen.

I will keep me fingers crossed for you. Planning and anticipating the worst is the best plan. I will hope for the best, however!
<3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

when my nephew left for school this morning, he somehow didn't shut the front door. the dog got out and was running around by the busy country road in front of the house. luckily, somebody saw this and called the cops. also, luckily, these cops weren't intimidated by him since he's a smaller dog, even though he was a little aggressive towards them. i was inside sleeping with earplugs in, so of course i didn't even hear the cops come in the house until they walked into my room and yelled at me. nobody in the house took it all that seriously, which kind of sucks because one) their dog could have been killed in a couple different ways and two) anybody could have walked into the house while i was sleeping.

i also have a problem with checking doors over and over again to make sure they're locked, which i hadn't done in a while. i've been checking that door all goddamn day. uugh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:22 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

zwingtip wrote:
Someone wrote a horrible transphobic biphobic ableist (with bonus racism) blog article about my boyfriend. I am torn between shaking with murderous rage and wanting to fly to London and give him all the hugs in the world.

This is awful. I don't know what to say but I feel for you and I hope your boyfriend is feeling okay.

My worst thing: today I caught three of my second graders playing a make-believe game involving a character called "the rhubarb," which was exactly as offensive as you'd think. Obviously I spoke to them about it and made it very clear that that's not okay and why, but holy shiitake. Kids being mean :( :(

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kilgore trout wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

This is awful. I don't know what to say but I feel for you and I hope your boyfriend is feeling okay.

My worst thing: today I caught three of my second graders playing a make-believe game involving a character called "the rhubarb," which was exactly as offensive as you'd think. Obviously I spoke to them about it and made it very clear that that's not okay and why, but holy shiitake. Kids being mean :( :(

Second grade is still really, really young. I would wager a guess that someone heard that word from someone older and was copying them. We had an issue with a different terrible word in school when Toby was in second grade. Turns out the kid heard it from an older brother.

But the good thing is that you taught them why it was not good to use the word and why it was offensive!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:30 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Vantine wrote:
But the good thing is that you taught them why it was not good to use the word and why it was offensive!

yes, DEFINITELY. i could think of times when someone has been kind enough to tell me why i shouldn't use certain phrases that i had never thought about.
as for kids, they hear so much (not faulting parents, but the environment- if it's OK for tv talking heads and adults in general to use certain phrases why shouldn't they, i imagine must be the thought process) that they need a bit of gentle guidance. good for you KC in setting them on the right path.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm 

Vantine wrote:
kilgore trout wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Second grade is still really, really young. I would wager a guess that someone heard that word from someone older and was copying them. We had an issue with a different terrible word in school when Toby was in second grade. Turns out the kid heard it from an older brother.

Oh yeah, I think that's definitely how they learned the word. It just really got to me because it was obvious that their schema for "rhubarb" was "stupid person you should make fun of," based on the way the kid playing that particular role was behaving. I don't think they're bad or mean kids, it just bummed me out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

couroupita wrote:
My therapist has suggested my mother has borderline personality disorder, and boy does that seem to fit her every behavior. I try to keep that in mind when dealing with her but holy hell, people have to be held accountable for some of their shiitake behavior.

Yeah, I have a relative who's never been formally diagnosed with this, but she's self-diagnosed herself with this, however. I think she fits the criteria (from what I've read on Wikipedia) and yeah, it's super frustrating. However, for me, the most fascinating aspect of my particular relative's behavior is that as soon as some one she wants to impress is around, her behavior becomes normal and civil and people are treated appropriately. It's remarkable, really. The cure, for her, seems to be to be surrounded by strangers because I have diagnosed her with familiarity-breeds-contemptitis because that seems to be the true nature of her disorder. I have suggested that she reverse her behavior to treat strangers like garbage and show her loved ones the same kindness she reserves for strangers, but so far, no luck. <3 My relative takes accountability for her behavior, acknowledges it and says she's sorry but it doesn't change so I throw up my hands and make the best of it. Sorry, sorry, sorry. It's a hollow word.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:42 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Stayed home from work yesterday because I was feeling so damn low. It's just been a whole lot in the last 6 months to set me off and reignite these childhood feelings of instability and fear. And feeling angry at myself for feeling that way.

And then finding out a co-worker's daughter was found in the woods, dead - she had been hiking and died of hypothermia. She was 37 and leaves behind two children, 1 and 3.

And then having recently dealt with my mother and the lingering affects of her immense negativity on me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dear God, paprikapapaya! All of the hugs are coming your way!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, a lot of kids just need to be corrected. I remember when my mum explained how "indians" is derogatory when referring to First Nations people where I grew up, and I had no idea why at the time, but I definitely felt bad and never used the term again. It was confusing as a kid though--I had many native friends and they referred to themselves as indians, so I just assumed as a naive kid that it was how we referenced their particular heritage. My native friends would also refer to me as a "white-y" which I totally didn't care about because it was kind of an affectionate acceptance from them, but it's all problematic, I guess. But that shiitake is confusing when you're a kid!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:13 pm 
Semen Strong

(((((Hugs)))) PPPP, that is terrible and I am so sorry you're feeling so low.

And gosh, SV, I so hear you that at some point "sorry" becomes really hollow if it isn't ever accompanied by change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Absolutely bombed an interview. It's not the end of the world, I already had an offer for a job I wanted more anyway. But this was just... Awful. 45 minutes of technical questions, of which I got maybe 50% correct, and the interviewer kept cutting me off and he just seemed so bored and irritated to be having to speak with me. The questions were on a subject I have spent something like 5 years rigorously studying in an academic setting and... Yeah. I went in feeling ok and came out feeling like the stupidest person ever.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

coldandsleepy wrote:
Absolutely bombed an interview. It's not the end of the world, I already had an offer for a job I wanted more anyway. But this was just... Awful. 45 minutes of technical questions, of which I got maybe 50% correct, and the interviewer kept cutting me off and he just seemed so bored and irritated to be having to speak with me. The questions were on a subject I have spent something like 5 years rigorously studying in an academic setting and... Yeah. I went in feeling ok and came out feeling like the stupidest person ever.

It happens! Sorry that it did, but it does tend to happen to the best of us. I once went to an interview where I couldn't speak. I was so nervous (for some reason! I didn't even really want the job), that my body sucked all the moisture out of me so I had no saliva and no brain power. It was awfully embarrassing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Oh man, all the worst things today are pretty crummy. Hugs to everyone.

My worst thing is that I ate way, way too much candy today. It is entirely my fault and I so shouldn't be complaining, but my tummy hurts!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm 
And you never will.

I had so many things to do today, and I have been so sick all day that I haven't been able to do any of it. And if I'm not better tomorrow, then I won't be able to go to my friend's birthday party - but way worse than that, I'll have to call her the day of her party to tell her that I can't make her cake. And I will feel like the worst person in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Suddenly felt very, very sick while watching TV earlier this evening. I was happily catching up on The Big Bang Theory when halfway through I felt intensely tired and nauseous. I got myself to bed straight away and took a 4-ish hour nap, and so far I'm feeling a bit better, but still off. Hopefully it's just something I ate and not the flu.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My brother has started showing symptoms of my mother's neurological problems. About eight years ago she basically collapsed, jerking and twitching and was out of action for about three years, really.

My brother started jerking a in the last couple of days, and had a big episode while he was at the doctor's and he's seeing a neurologist this week. We think it's related to the immune system somehow, as both his and my mother's muscle jerks/complete collapse were triggered by long periods of illness. No one really seems to know what it is and my mother still never really had a diagnosis, just a list of horrifying-sounding symptoms like plaque on the brain, which is linked to dementia, and your body producing too much adrenaline, which leads to nightmarish panic attacks, as well as chronic fatigue syndrome, which can make it hard to hold down a job where you have to keep certain hours because you need to rest for two hours in the middle of the day or you can't move.

So, I'm a bit worried about him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've spent the past 7 weeks working on a project for one of my classes that's worth a huge chunk of the grade (20 or 25%, I can't remember). The project is due in a week and a half. Today I thought I was on the cusp of finally completing it and was so relieved... I've been working on it SO much (something like 50 hours over the course of the past 7 weeks) and was terrified I wasn't going to finish it by the due date. I did a 9 hour push yesterday, then 3 more hours today, and then I got a perplexing result and discovered...

I've been working on the wrong problem the whole time.

Without getting into the technical details, just think of it like this: I had to do something to a file A. File A was in a zip file with two other files, file B and file C. There's a method for doing this thing to a file that would make it make a lot of sense to have a file B and file C. So this whole time, I've been writing something that relies on the relationship between file B and file C to work, to do this thing to file B.

File B and file C are irrelevant files used to show how something else in the zip file works. File A is the important file. The method I've been using to do the thing to the file doesn't work if you don't have a second file; like I said, it relies on the relationship between the two files.

So now I have a week and a half left to finish this two month long project, and I now am on equal footing with someone who waited til this point to start. I've poured so much thought and work into it, and it turns out I am a dumb asparagus who can't read. This in and of itself would be enough to make it onto my worst thing of the day list.

But because I really don't know what to do now and I can hear the forking seconds ticking down on the clock, I had to write an email to my professor tonight to say "hey, guess who is a dumb asparagus, what the fork do I do now." I think the feeling of embarrassment I have regarding having to tell a professor I really like and admire that I failed to read what are actually pretty clear instructions and now I don't know how to get myself out of the hole I dug... is actually on par with the situation for awfulness.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm 

Yikes coldandsleepy, that sucks. I know how hard it is to send that kind of e-mail, and I hope your professor is understanding. Don't be too hard on yourself--even if you're on the same ground as a person who waited until now to start, you didn't, and that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Talking on the phone with my soontobe-ex and feeling so sad that his decisions and addictions have put him in such an awful place both emotionally and financially.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 451, 452, 453, 454, 455, 456, 457 ... 647  Next