| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495 ... 627  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 pm 
Married to the wolfman

We've gone about three miles since I posted last. There's an accident up ahead I guess, and it's graduation weekend for UC Santa Cruz, compounding the problem. The good news is the traffic is supposed to get a lot better after the accident. The bad news is the accident site is another five miles away.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am 
Nailed to the V

an exam on monday

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:45 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm heartbroken for all who knew Calcy. I was just re-reading her thread about bringing Georgia home and I'm so shocked and saddened. I didn't even know her other than through the boards, but the community here is so strong that you really get a sense for who people are. I've been here 5 years, and she's been here for all that and much longer, keeping us all in line and reminding us when we're being stupid. I'm not exaggerating when I say folks like Isa and Calcy have been real inspirations to me, teaching me that being no-bullshit-no-apologies, vegan and awesome all in one package is something that I can aspire to. It's just not fair.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I think my partner and I are in the process of amicably, mutually-supportively breaking up. It's strange but I think we're breaking up because we agree that we want different things from life and we both want what's best for the other. I think, at the moment, of him as family and it will be hard to stay "family" if we break up, but we both agree that a lot of the passion has gone and we never were phenomenally sexually compatible. We were joking about it (like saying I'd write him a reference saying he was a good boyfriend, and holding a party to share the news with all our friends), but it's still a little heartbreaking. Nothing has been decided, but it feels inevitable now.

I might be losing my job at the end of the week. I love my job; it has basically pulled me out of depression. My manager has applied for me to be kept on after my fixed-term contract ends, but HR haven't yayed or nayed it yet and not knowing isn't very nice. My employer is fairly notorious for messing people around with contracts and doing things at the last minute, but that's the public sector for you. It would be good to feel secure, you know?

My grandmother died in the night. It was due, but it is still sad. In another life we would have been very good friends, but we were grand-relatives and that was lovely. I know saying this is awful, but at least if I do lose my job, she's left me some money so I won't lose the house.

So it's not been a good week. In fact, I feel very frightened and uncertain about things.

EDIT: I just checked my work email and I am losing my job. They just don't have the funding. I've been told that it's in no way a reflection on me, but that's just the nature of the contract and that if I like I can be informed when they know about enrolment and funding and they know if they can take people on again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:00 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh Gulliver, that's such a lot to be going through in one day. Hope everything sorts itself out for you and you get the outcomes you want personally and professionally.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:30 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Oh my gosh. Gulliver. We love you so much. A million hugs to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm sorry Gulliver, that's a lot to deal with. Big hugs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:54 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Oh Gulliver, that is a hell of a week. Thinking of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Aaaand we've decided to break up. He's going away in three weeks for a month, so he's going to "live" here (but will not actually be here) until he comes back and then find a place. That's the plan, anyway. It will be awkward but it's his home too. He's basically said I should keep the cats and the house and more or less all "our" stuff, which does not seem fair, but he's the one who wants to travel and move around so it seems logical at the same time. It's all very strange. I still love him like a brother, but there's a rift between us now. What's done is done.

Later this week, I'll probably have a total breakdown, but for now I'm just kind of meep.

Thanks for your kind words, guys and gals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:41 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Adding my hugs to the rest, Gulliver.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:43 am 
Nailed to the V

The worst thing about today? June 16th ... Father's Day here in the U.K. but also the anniversary of the day my father died ... that was many years ago but I still miss him ... so I guess feeling my loss today was the worst thing ... I was just 19 when he died and I still needed him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Father's Day when your dad is dead and you have a stepfather is the most awkward. I appreciate everything my stepdad has done (he and my mom got married when I was in 8th grade and I'm 23 now) but...you're not my dad. ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:59 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh, Gulliver, that's an awful lot of suckage at one time. I'm so sorry about all that you're going through.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Gulliver, I'm so, so sorry. Big hugs.

Peeps with father's day bad feelings, I hope the day isn't too weird/sad for you.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, I feel about Father's Day the way PP feels about Mother's Day. I have a pretty bad relationship with my dad because he was (and still is) a pretty shiitake father, so all the stuff about thanking wonderful dads is making me grumpy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Wow, Gulliver, what a week; I'm so sorry you've had to be dealing so much hard stuff at one time. I really hope things turn a corner for you soon!

Today is Father's Day, and tomorrow is my mother's birthday; my dad passed away in 2007, and my mom in 2010. Add to this that the anniversary of her death comes up on the 25th, and this time of year has me feeling particularly parentless. I generally don't dwell on being an "orphan" (it sounds like I'm Oliver Twist or something, but you take my point), but today I'm feeling sort of fragile. I may take a long bath and allow myself a bit of a cry.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Gulliver, I'm sorry about the shitstorm of awfulness that hit you this week. That really sucks.

The worst part of my day? Facebook. I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I'm in a weird funk from seeing photos of an event involving a lot of people I know to which I was not invited. I'm not jealous per se--these aren't personal friends and I can imagine why they made the delineation they did--but I guess I just feel isolated. And then there are all those times when people are posting about getting emails, calls, whatever from their husbands and I haven't heard anything. I'm starting to feel like Facebook is just a vehicle for making people feel shitty about themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:22 pm 

I have a better relationship with my father than with my mother, but it is far far far far far from perfect. That is to say, it's not completely broken like my relationship with my mother is. I hate days like this, where folks with loving parents get to celebrate all that they have in their parents. It makes me feel really bad and that scared child in me emerges in a big way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:23 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Desdemona, it's no wonder you're feeling fragile this time of year. Sending you hugs, lady. Take extra special gentle care of yourself right now.

ETA: Hugs for everyone having bad father's-day associated feelings.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Stuck at work from 9-9 when pretty much my entire extended family is at the hospital sort of epic blows. Not that I could be of assistance or do anything but I feel like a bad person for not being there.

Maybe can visit after work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My sister and I were supposed to be en route to 3 days of nature-ventures before I go, but I am tired and headachey and want to sleep all the time, she's tired and grumpy from having survived 3 weeks of finals, aaaaand her car went to the shop today for a regular check up (or something; I'm not a car person) and they told her she needs new tires stat and to forget our trip to Mendocino until she gets them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

rachell37 wrote:
Yeah, I feel about Father's Day the way PP feels about Mother's Day. I have a pretty bad relationship with my dad because he was (and still is) a pretty shiitake father, so all the stuff about thanking wonderful dads is making me grumpy.

Yeah, that. I visited my grandfather's grave instead. He was a good grandfather. I haven't spoken to the man who spent the most time raising me in about eight years. I am trying to focus on how awesome my partner is at fathering and how I really have learned from the mistakes of our parents.

Gulliver, I am so sorry for all of that. What a shitstorm. I hope you have some close friends to lean on now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:16 am 

And I'm losing my forking job. I never thought I would have to utter those words. This is my dream job. I thought I would work there until retirement. I am alternating between crying hysterically and being frozen with panic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh no! I'm so sorry paprika.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh no Paprika! I'm so sorry.

Dropped my little man Migo off at the vet this morning. He's just in for a dental (with probably one extraction) and I know they will take good care of him but I can't help but worry. Plus he's such a stress bag and he's not used to being separated from Quita so he's probably super scared right now.

He'll be fine. It will be fine. But I want to cry and all them to check in even though I know his procedure won't start for a few hours yet. Sigh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 489, 490, 491, 492, 493, 494, 495 ... 627  Next