| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499 ... 632  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:58 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so impressed by your ability to draw and enforce boundaries! I would have just kept him as a friend while secretly seething in resentment. I find drawing boundaries at work really hard, and think you are awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

acr wrote:
either way, it's making me feel squirmy and uncomfortable, so the blergh factor must have been off the charts for you.

Yeah, he makes me feel squirmy and uncomfortable in general. He kind of sees himself as a ladies' man, whereas that self-styled ladies' man facade makes my bullshiitake alarms go crazy and my skin crawl. My continued indifference/barely suppressed disgust at his suaveness apparently hurts his feelings? Who knew.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Tofulish wrote:
I am so impressed by your ability to draw and enforce boundaries! I would have just kept him as a friend while secretly seething in resentment. I find drawing boundaries at work really hard, and think you are awesome.

It's something I still struggle with, to be honest! But I think it really helps that, besides this and a couple of other really minor exceptions, my workplace is an incredible environment with supportive, radically liberal folks who tend to buck the traditional office politics to begin with. They've really made me feel that I can be supported in whatever I do, because they value me as a person and a worker. It shouldn't be amazing and rare to find a work environment like this, but sadly I think we all know from personal experience that it is!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:43 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Things are crazy around here right now, there's serious flooding all over Southern Alberta and it keeps spreading throughout Calgary. So many people have been evacuated, sections of the highway has washed away and there's no signs of it slowing yet, both shocked and scared right now since this all happened in less then a day! On a positive note, the city's response has been amazing.

That sounds very scary! Good that the authorities are responding well, keep safe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
He kicked things off by asking if he'd ever been "anything but kind and generous" to me.

This sounds like a classic manipulator and I'm glad you could stand firm! What a forking creep.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

So, I'm screwed, I guess. Prof is cool with me finishing the incompletes this summer. But I need access to certain journal articles and books available online through the library. I don't have library access and can't get it. They *might* give me a 30 day login if I didn't owe $3000, but since I owe $3000, I can't get my diploma or anything from the school. If I finish these classes, I can get my student aid reinstated that would wipe the $3000, but I can't finish these classes without the materials. I can't buy the books needed because it is 1-2 chapters from a bunch of $100 books.

No, the public library will not have these. I could pay $100 for a year access to the university library (3 hr rt drive, but whatever) but that would not allow access to journals or online sources. Also, since they don't have an education school, they aren't likely to have all the books.

I could go to the library of Congress except that they don't get things in circulation quickly enough and are only up to 2008 or 2009 as far as cataloging these journals.

fork. I just give up on life. There is just no point in trying to do anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lavawitch wrote:
So, I'm screwed, I guess. Prof is cool with me finishing the incompletes this summer. But I need access to certain journal articles and books available online through the library. I don't have library access and can't get it. They *might* give me a 30 day login if I didn't owe $3000, but since I owe $3000, I can't get my diploma or anything from the school. If I finish these classes, I can get my student aid reinstated that would wipe the $3000, but I can't finish these classes without the materials. I can't buy the books needed because it is 1-2 chapters from a bunch of $100 books.

No, the public library will not have these. I could pay $100 for a year access to the university library (3 hr rt drive, but whatever) but that would not allow access to journals or online sources. Also, since they don't have an education school, they aren't likely to have all the books.

I could go to the library of Congress except that they don't get things in circulation quickly enough and are only up to 2008 or 2009 as far as cataloging these journals.

fork. I just give up on life. There is just no point in trying to do anything.

Does your public library do ILL's? If so, they should be able to get you copies of the articles through ILL. That's what we would do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No. My public library has no funding for anything. It is very tiny and they cut hours, closed branches, and put a stop to any and all new purchases back in 2010.

ETA: I guess they didn't close, they just cut hours, but its only one main and two satellite branches anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:13 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I feel kind of dumb now. Clearly my first path of action should be to a) start these courses and turn in the introductory stuff and b) ask the PROFESSOR for help. He knows my situation and may have some advice or alternate sources. c) resume rant if that doesn't work.

(these classes really suck--they are so boring and I can't even figure out what they are about! they are elearning courses, but its all about systems science and weird terminology and I don't even know. Here is one of the books: http://www.amazon.com/Systems-Architect ... 067&sr=1-1

That one I can rent for kindle, I guess. I think I only need 3 chapters out of it though. Blech.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is there a college or university near you that would have some of the books? You won't be able to check them out but you could use them on-site. The professor is a good place to start especially for an elearning class.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

LW, sent a PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I learned that there was a warrant out for my arrest over unpaid harboring a vicious dog violation. The thing is that the city attorney had dragged her butt on this case regarding my dog since the very beginning. I was given a slip of paper that instructed me to pay pay this staring in June. Since May was the month my property taxes were due this was great. Went in today to make a payment and was baffled that it took so long.

It turned out that the clerk was waiting for the police to inform me that I had to pay the entire bill. Granted this pales in comparison to other peoples interations with the police. For me it was a reminder of how unfairly my dog was treated. How I tried to be proactive since the mrning after the incident. And how a lazy, incompetent, and bigoted lawyer that the taxes I pay for her employment could have been avoided had she just answered my phone calls 7months ago.

On top of all of this I am reminded that my dog is no longer with us.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lavawitch wrote:
No. My public library has no funding for anything. It is very tiny and they cut hours, closed branches, and put a stop to any and all new purchases back in 2010.

ETA: I guess they didn't close, they just cut hours, but its only one main and two satellite branches anyway.

LW, let me know if you need help finding some of these articles. I still have access through my school. If you give me all the info I can probably find them for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks! I'll go through this weekend and make a list of all the resources I need for the first two classes so I can see where I'm at. I read through the first three lessons, got frustrated, and threw a constructive hissy fit.

I have so much anxiety about these classes it is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Work was the worst thing about my day yesterday. It was my first evening shift being the solo assistant nurse for eight patients, and the care they got yesterday was definitely not good enough. The ones who are mobile did well enough, but the ones who need help getting out of bed? Didn't get out of bed. There just wasn't time to help them. A couple of patients wanted to get up to go to the bathroom, and I had to tell them "No time, you'll have to go in your diapers." It hurts to have to do that to someone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:32 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

the little fur-beast-feline is in the hospital for the weekend. she's not going to need surgery, but it was just sad and distressing seeing her in so much discomfort. poor little thing :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:09 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ijustdiedinside wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

LW, let me know if you need help finding some of these articles. I still have access through my school. If you give me all the info I can probably find them for you.

*puts librarian and copyright fingers in ears and didn't read that*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:43 am 
Nailed to the V

weird headache with stuffs moving as if I had had not officially edible mushrooms

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I am in bed with a nasty kidney infection and feeling very sorry for myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:21 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ouch, feel better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:

I am so sorry love!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:

Ugh, sucks. Hope it clears up quickly!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hugs to everyone LW, Efcliz, joshua, amonik, toddx & Erika.

Maggie Muggins, I really hope you're ok and staying safe. Definitely lots of talk about the floods out here. Does seem like city response has been good and people are mostly being taken care of. Saw interviews with families that are making assloads of sandwiches to distribute to shelters and people camped out in their cars, and it made me sniffly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 pm 
Impressive boner

Mina is passing blood in her urine. She doesn't appear to be in any pain and she's had a dose of antibiotics and Cystaid. I'm sad that the little soot ball is sick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Efcliz wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

*puts librarian and copyright fingers in ears and didn't read that*

hahaha! don't make me tell you what i did for johnp that time...

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15779 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498, 499 ... 632  Next