| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 ... 625  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:57 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My parents showed up yesterday for a surprise visit. It's amazing how terrible they can make me feel about myself in just a few hours.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:05 am 
Bathes in Braggs

cq, I hope you were able to get back to normal quickly after they left. It's hearing things like that that make me glad my parents live halfway across the country.

I was supposed to go to a seminar/class this morning. I'm SO bad at mornings and I woke up in time (6:30am), but then felt yucky so went back to bed. I couldn't bring myself to get dressed, eat 3 hours before I normally eat, and then walk 45 minutes to the class. I really wanted to go and went to bed earlier last night, but ugh, mornings! I am annoyed with myself... why am I incapable of getting out of bed before 7:30am (really, before 8:30 is a stretch).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 am 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
My granny just got diagnosed with multiple myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells).

She had surgery for lung cancer four years ago, is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's, and is 87 years old. I feel really guilty for wishing she could just pass on, but right now she is miserable and her mind is gone, and it's been so hard for my mom to take care of her (my parents built her a house next to theirs a few years ago). She's my mom's only living family member, but in a way my granny is already gone and taking care of her in her current state is almost worse than being able to just get on and grieve the loss.

This just sucks.
That does suck. I'm so sorry.
choirqueer wrote:
My parents showed up yesterday for a surprise visit. It's amazing how terrible they can make me feel about myself in just a few hours.
Ugh. That's their special superpower; too bad it's such a lousy one.

{{{HUGS}}} to everyone.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
My granny just got diagnosed with multiple myeloma (cancer of the plasma cells).

She had surgery for lung cancer four years ago, is in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's, and is 87 years old. I feel really guilty for wishing she could just pass on, but right now she is miserable and her mind is gone, and it's been so hard for my mom to take care of her (my parents built her a house next to theirs a few years ago). She's my mom's only living family member, but in a way my granny is already gone and taking care of her in her current state is almost worse than being able to just get on and grieve the loss.

This just sucks.

I'm so sorry. I actually work at a myeloma charity, so if you need any info let me know and I'll send it out. There's also the International Myeloma Foundation in the US, who would have more info about treatments available there. They also have info for carers and such.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:51 am 
And you never will.

Thank you so much you guys. The doctors recommended my parents move her into hospice care, and that's what they've decided to do. Her body is starting to just stop working so they feel the kindest thing they can do is to just make her as comfortable as possible until she passes.

Thanks for the support <3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 pm 
Impressive boner

I haven't had a crappy day health-wise in around three or four weeks but had one today. I think I slept badly, which led to tiredness all day and an increasingly bad headache, so came home and went to sleep. Hope this doesn't affect the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Nebraskalaska wrote:
daisychain - I'm really sorry you lost something so important to you. When I lost a necklace my mother gave me I cried so hard and was basically irreconcilable for 24 hours. Do you think there's any chance you still might find them?

jogirl wrote:
(((hugs))) daisychain. You might still find them?

Thanks guys. No sign of them. I think one of the patients has them but won't admit it. All the others have said the second they see them they will be returned to me. Not holding out much hope though.

Sorry to hear about your Granny pb xxxx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh, I went to the walk-in clinic today before work (I had my husband drop me off on his way to work), because I've had really painful unexplained stomach bloating over the past few days. I waited forever, which is fine, but when the doctor saw me he was really worried about my other symptoms, and he gave me some sort of crazy gastrointestinal med and sent me off to the hospital for blood work, which I had to walk to in the rain because I didn't have my car. As soon as I started walking I felt strong nausea and other awful, awful, awful pains in my intestines. I managed to go through with the blood test and get on a bus to go home, and I held my puking as long as I could (until I got to my front door) where I realized I had not brought my keys (I was planning on walking to work after the appointment and get a ride home with my husband). My husband was able to come help me about half an hour later, but he got a stern talking to about it and I have spent the rest of the day in the worst pain ever. What the hell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:33 pm 

Holy cow, vijita! That sounds irritating and scary. I hope you are able to get some relief.

I'm also sorry about your grandma, pb. Hopefully they are able to help her be comfortable.

I feel bad even posting here, but today was so weird. I can't decide if the worst part is the insecurity I feel, worrying about Wilson re-acclimating and like, am I enough for him to want to live in this country? Will he decide it's not worth it and move back? (Very unfounded fears, and I can see it's stemming from my insecurity, but I'm still feeling it even if I can see that it isn't rational. He's feeling very strange with being back, and rightly so, and I think I need to realize that and give him some time. Like if he refers to his apartment in Brazil as 'home' it doesn't mean that he loves me less. Or if thw worst part was the fact that his brother came over to visit and was passed out (drunk) within two hours. I went out for a run, and while I was gone he'd manage to fall and had some kind of cut or something on his chin. He slept for a couple of hours, then got up to get another beer, and Wilson had to ask him to leave (well, Wilson told him he was cut off, and he got mad and said he was leaving, and Wilson said, ok). We have no idea how to help his brother, because he doesn't want help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm sorry poopiebitch. Don't feel guilty for feeling that way. You don't want her or your mother to suffer anymore. When my mother reached end stage liver cancer her mind was gone from toxins building up from her liver failure and I felt the same way. She was already gone and seeing her like that was awful. And I didn't even have to care for her at home, I can't imagine how much harder that would be.

Eta - I didn't see your second post. I hope she is comfortable in the hospice and you aren't hard on yourself if you feel like that again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:07 am 
Ninja Master

Sorry Poopie, that's horrible news.

My worst thing is that last night we found out my cousin's fiancé was killed in a car crash, the night before last. I'm just in shock, he was my age and I only saw him 2 weeks ago today at my brother's wedding. Which was the most perfect day and now he's gone. I didn't know him all that well but my heart breaks for my cousin and their 2.5 your old son and for his parents. I can't even imagine what she is going through right now. It's so unfair.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was admitted to the hospital and I have to cancel my SF trip. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh no! Hope you recover quickly vijita!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:34 am 

vijita wrote:
I was admitted to the hospital and I have to cancel my SF trip. :(

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope they are able to diagnose and treat you quickly and accurately.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:36 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

poopiebitch wrote:
Thank you so much you guys. The doctors recommended my parents move her into hospice care, and that's what they've decided to do. Her body is starting to just stop working so they feel the kindest thing they can do is to just make her as comfortable as possible until she passes.

Thanks for the support <3

We just went (slash, are still going through) that process with my mom's mom, who is receiving hospice care at home. Every aspect of it sucks. I wish much strength and etc. to all of you. (Also, HUGS.) (Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about more detail-y details? I found that talking with people who were just going through that process or were in the thick of it helped me a lot.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 am 

Big hugs to everyone in this thread!

Vijita I hope you are okay!
Ndpittman, as someone who has also been separated from their SO due to visa issues, I totally get what you are saying.
Baps I'm sorry for you and your cousin.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:28 pm 

shiitake. One of my sister's best friends (from elementary school!) died in a car crash Sunday. I can't quite wrap my head around that, or the fact that the report called her 'woman'. (She was 27, 'woman' is the only appropriate noun to use. But still, she's my kid sister's friend! 'Woman' doesn't sound quite appropriate for any of us!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 pm 
Chip Strong

The worst thing about today was helping my daughter select head wraps and scarves for her best friend who is getting chemo and her hair is starting to fall out. it sucks so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

Hoodwinked wrote:
The worst thing about today was helping my daughter select head wraps and scarves for her best friend who is getting chemo and her hair is starting to fall out. it sucks so bad.

Man, that's heartbreaking. I'm sure your daughter's friend and her family appreciate the support.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:52 pm 
Semen Strong

The Kisha Curtis verdict is making me sad.

She will get 18 months probation, a $2000 fine and no jail time for starving Patrick the Pitbull nearly to death and then throwing his skeletal body down the trash, because as the judge reasoned "On a scale of 10, with 10 being the most serious, Ms. Curtis' case, from where I sit, is around a three or a four," he said. "In this case, fortunately, no one was killed; Patrick survived and is thriving. We have to put things in perspective."

Yes, Patrick survived and wasn't killed, but that wasn't thanks to Kisha Curtis. It was thanks to the people who found him in black garbage bag at the bottom of the trash and took him to get help instead of letting him die and all those who donated to his care. If this is a 3 to 4, what would be a 10?

And the $2,000 fine just covers the reward that was paid to the people who turned her in. The good news for Patrick today is that he gets to stay with the Scavelli family from GSVS

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 37868.html

For pictures on how bad it was, click here - but please be warned that the photos are disturbing: http://www.ahscares.org/showarchive.asp?id=772

I am glad she did court mandated drug and alcohol counseling, and on some level, I am happy her children aren't going to lose their mother for a long period of time, but I wish there had been a sentence like community service working with animals for a year and a ban on owning animals for 10 years, that would have sent a stronger message to the community that animal abuse isn't going to be tolerated. The judge saying "keep this in perspective" really meant "well this was just a dog so its not a big deal." So few animal cruelty cases even get prosecuted (the Essex County prosecutors only charge Kisha Curtis after public demands that they do so), and when a high profile one gets just a slap on the wrist, its just disheartening.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:39 pm 

Pretty sure those pictures broke my heart, T'lish. Agreed 1000% that the judge should have ruled more strongly, and ordered more animal-friendly 'rehab' for Curtis (at the least).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Vijita, gee, I hope you're going to be okay, your symptoms sounded a bit alarming when I read them last night. * fingers crossed for you.

NDP, I disappointed on your behalf that your brother in law came with, be nice for you to have alone time only without having to deal with bil. I hope it all works out.

Tofulish, Poor Patrick, that is a terrible injustice. I'm glad he's found a good home (foster home?....can't remember now) but yes, the "let's keep this in perspective"...in other words -' he's only a dog', really upsets me too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 pm 
Impressive boner

My sister was burgled at 10am while she was in the house. Nothing was damaged and nobody was hurt. All they took was a 3 year old, password protected laptop that they probably won't get £20 for, but she now has to deal with sorting out the situation with the police and insurers as well as the emotional impact the intrusion has on her. I hope she can get it dealt with quickly. I don't want her to be unhappy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

My grandmother is in the hospital with pneumonia. I totally lost it at work when I got the news and cried in front of everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:18 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Nebraskalaska, it's hard to get news like that at work. When my granny was very ill I was on the edge of tears a lot of the time including at work. I hope people were nice to you? And best wishes for your grandmother.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15601 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 ... 625  Next