| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 625  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Lutin I am so sorry about your grandmother, that is shocking news. *hugs.

Thanks Choirqueer, I'm always worried I've totally misunderstood everyone, and have somehow inadvertently offended - glad all was kosher.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:28 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
From a 41 year old woman:

Put me in charge.

TO all you executives drawing down million dollar paychecks.

1. Pay your people a living wage if you are going to benefit from our subsidies and our tax breaks. You can't live in America and not give back.

2. Keep your jobs here and don't ship them to other countries to save a few cents, while costing America jobs.

3. Stop spending millions of dollars to lobby against the interests of your workers. If you can spend $10 million on lobbyists, you can spend that to improve worker safety and pay higher salaries. Also, end the influence peddling and the revolving door between government and private industry.

4. To the military-industrial complex. Stop overpaying for stuff from private industry that you have connections to. Start having open bid contracts and add transparency to the process.

You don't have to comply. But if you don't, we will just give that money to teachers, infrastructure improvement and making this country better for the vast majority of Americans whose incomes have stagnated for decades as yours as skyrocketed. This isn't the 80s. Greed is no longer good. Our country can't continue to prosper if the 1% keeps siphoning off the money that should properly be shared.

We could all definitely add more and send it around instead of all the poor-shaming, racist crepe :)
I love you.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:39 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Desdemona wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Put me in charge.

1. Pay your people a living wage if you are going to benefit from our subsidies and our tax breaks. You can't live in America and not give back.

2. Keep your jobs here and don't ship them to other countries to save a few cents, while costing America jobs.

3. Stop spending millions of dollars to lobby against the interests of your workers. If you can spend $10 million on lobbyists, you can spend that to improve worker safety and pay higher salaries. Also, end the influence peddling and the revolving door between government and private industry.

4. To the military-industrial complex. Stop overpaying for stuff from private industry that you have connections to. Start having open bid contracts and add transparency to the process.

You don't have to comply. But if you don't, we will just give that money to teachers, infrastructure improvement and making this country better for the vast majority of Americans whose incomes have stagnated for decades as yours as skyrocketed. This isn't the 80s. Greed is no longer good. Our country can't continue to prosper if the 1% keeps siphoning off the money that should properly be shared.

We could all definitely add more and send it around instead of all the poor-shaming, racist crepe :)
I love you.

Tofulish 4 President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:43 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

choirqueer wrote:

Tofulish 4 President

I second this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Desdemona, you've been remarkably mature about your relative's facebook bullshiitake, I think now is the appropriate time to sink down (just a little!) and remind him that he has also taken handouts and that he still hasn't paid his back. BUT BUT BUT IT'S DIFFERENT I'm sure he'll say, but it will be a nice little seed to plant nonetheless.

Jigglypuff wrote:
Wowww. Today my professor thought it would be cool to tell a story that involved him catcalling at a woman and referring to another woman as a bisque. He also described himself as currently being less sexist than he used to be and went on a rant about how feminists are trying to destroy everything that is feminine. I walked out of the room and straight to the department office when he asked the class who is going to raise our (society's) children. It was hard enough just to get into enough units to be a full-time student. Now I might have to drop this class because I feel so unsafe being around someone who is a self-admitted misogynist. This blows.

That's disgusting. I was gonna say something snarky like "doesn't he realize he's in California?" but then realized it should be more like "doesn't he realize it's the year 2013?" I really hope your school is supportive of you in this, and that you have fellow students (of all genders!) who are equally unwilling to stand for this kind of disgusting, misogynist crepe. If they're not, go to the media. This is totally unacceptable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:19 pm 
Ninja Master

Went to my cousin's fiance's funeral today and it was heart breaking. i officially never want to hear bagpipes again as long as I live.

I am grateful my cousin has such a wonderful support network around her. Life can be so unfair.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was so hoping I was on the mend when I heard nothing about my blood work I had done on Wednesday, but I just got the call to go over it in the doctor's office next week. I am going to spend all weekend freaking out about it. I'm so scared. Scared that they finally know what's wrong with me, and scared that they still don't know what's wrong with me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Vijita, hang in there. I'm so sorry to hear you are still not out of the woods yet and UGH about the doctor calls. Hopefully they call you in for something that's not a big deal.
I hope that whatever the outcome is, that you can rest a little this weekend, take one moment at a time, and that they call you in the office just to say that they don't know what the hell is the matter with you so they're referring you to a certain doctor house, who will stagger in, look at your knees and tell you that you have some sort of exotic cat parasite that can be cured with a simple pill. take care of yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

Desdemona wrote:
[...]
21 YEAR-OLD FEMALE wrote:
In addition, you will either present a check stub from a job each week or you will report to a "government" job. It may be cleaning the roadways of trash, painting and repairing public housing, whatever we find for you. We will sell your 22 inch rims and low profile tires and your blasting stereo and speakers and put that money toward the "common good.."

[...]

And how exactly are people supposed to put their money toward the common good? I mean, I assume by the time we've elected this 21 year old head of everything, Ted Cruz will have successfully abolished the IRS.

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this sort of stuff from your nephew, Desdemona. That's so hateful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:02 pm 

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Wowww. Today my professor thought it would be cool to tell a story that involved him catcalling at a woman and referring to another woman as a bisque. He also described himself as currently being less sexist than he used to be and went on a rant about how feminists are trying to destroy everything that is feminine. I walked out of the room and straight to the department office when he asked the class who is going to raise our (society's) children. It was hard enough just to get into enough units to be a full-time student. Now I might have to drop this class because I feel so unsafe being around someone who is a self-admitted misogynist. This blows.

That's disgusting. I was gonna say something snarky like "doesn't he realize he's in California?" but then realized it should be more like "doesn't he realize it's the year 2013?" I really hope your school is supportive of you in this, and that you have fellow students (of all genders!) who are equally unwilling to stand for this kind of disgusting, misogynist crepe. If they're not, go to the media. This is totally unacceptable.

This. Or something if you're up to it. Reading that made me sick to my stomach. I just cannot imagine someone is an authority position speaking like that (or someone at all really, but the fact that it's a professor makes it worse for me somehow).

Lutin, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma's continuing health issues. I hope she gets good news back on this account, and is able to gain some comfort after the draining.

Baps, that is utterly heartbreaking. That's on my list of things that I don't know if I could survive. Many many good thoughts to your cousin and your family in this time.

Vijita, I really hope they are able to give you some answers, and that you are able to rest this weekend and take care of yourself, eat some nourishing food, snuggle with kitties, etc.

Desdemona, ugh. That sounds like the setting for many a dystopian novel. I really hope that your nephew has some kind of epiphany moment where he realizes that that kind of thing is abhorrent, but I'm also not holding out hope, and I'm sorry for that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Tofulish wrote:

Put me in charge.

I am a "21 YEAR OLD FEMALE," and I approve this message.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:41 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I hate those anti welfare diatribes. Many people on SNAP and Medicaid do work. (Not that I think people who aren't should be treated the way that shiitake says!) which renders many of her points invalid. Seriously, that shiitake makes me so mad. fork that noise.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Jigglypuff wrote:

This is completely unacceptable behaviour! If you haven't already done so, I seriously advise making an official complaint (it helps if you can get others who were present to verify your complaint if possible), speaking to your personal tutor and/or other members of staff you feel comfortable with about it, and trying to switch course if at all possible. You don't have to put up with this shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

jordanpattern wrote:
worldrunner79 wrote:
kfad wrote:
Not to mention that the man doing the pushing is married and ashley has already said no. The idea that anyone needs to say no more than once is playing into rape culture.

My fault on that... I did not see that he was married, sorry to all...

I'm not sure the fact that he's married is very relevant. The relevant thing is that Ashley had already said no.

+1 to this!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Lutin, how freaky and scary about your grandma. It seems so weird that HIV via blood transfusions is even still a thing.

Speaking of which, Jigglypuff, holy shiitake. That guy sounds unbelievably awful, and like he shouldn't be teaching.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:30 am 
Impressive boner

I think Spike may have had a stroke.

I went to check on the guinea pigs a couple of hours ago and he had trouble getting his back legs to work. Its usually tough to catch him as he's so fast at running away, but I caught him really easily and he was lethargic and shivery. I've put him in a warm box of hay and blankets in a quiet, dark bedroom and have been giving him Dialoryte by syringe. His bowels seem to be working and he is a little brighter now. I really hope he pulls through.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:43 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lutin wrote:
this email from mom: grandma's on the way to er to have her fluid drained. her dr's office just called to say that when she had a blood transfusion in 2011 they just found out that the donor was HIV positive~OMG, that is so bad, i'm furious with Kaiser. they're going to do an hiv test at er....

Good news, guys! This is no longer a worst thing since she tested HIV-.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:00 am 
Semen Strong

Great news!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 am 
Flounceiad 2011

That IS great news; I'm glad to hear it!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:49 am 
Ninja Master

Yay Lutin, great news.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lutin wrote:
lutin wrote:
this email from mom: grandma's on the way to er to have her fluid drained. her dr's office just called to say that when she had a blood transfusion in 2011 they just found out that the donor was HIV positive~OMG, that is so bad, i'm furious with Kaiser. they're going to do an hiv test at er....

That's great news! I actually breathed a sigh of relief!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 am 

rachell37 wrote:
lutin wrote:
lutin wrote:

That's great news! I actually breathed a sigh of relief!

Me too! I hope the draining helps with her comfort.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Thanks for the loves, everyone. I hope so, too.
(Also, thanks for letting me derail the worst things thread.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been feeling so weird lately. Really... down. And this weird shame thing has been happening. I've been so sensitive lately to comments (complimentary) about my 'look' or fashion. Or about my body. I get lots of people saying things that I used to LOVE to hear, and things I still love to hear from people I know and love, but now when strangers or coworkers I don't know well say these things it makes me feel like punching them right in the face. It's so silly to complain about being called cute or stylish I feel like, but lately it's felt like it's taken a turn to creepy. Like people will say 'oh Tyler, you're so cute' and it used to be something that was said with little anime half-circles for eyes, but now it's said with a creepy lowering of the head-looking over the tops of their glasses kind of way. I guess it actually does kind of make sense, about a week ago, this coworker of mine came up behind me when I was chatting with someone and like... Tickled my thighs? And she's always creeped me out, like two months ago she hugged me really... Lewdly... And then said she wished she was a gay man. And at that time I didn't even know what her name was. Ugh is this what sexual harassment feels like? Honestly I'm not too upset by these particular instances themselves but since that leg thing I've been super grumpy about comments that might be taken as sexual at all. And I have thought back to that instance more than I should be and feeling really annoyed by it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 pm 
And you never will.

Mars wrote:
Ugh is this what sexual harassment feels like?

I'm really sorry, but yes. I would definitely consider that behavior "unwelcome verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature". It's a really shitty situation, but since it is affecting you in such a negative way I would definitely either talk to her about it (if that's something you feel comfortable doing), or talk to a superior about it.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15625 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 625  Next