| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532 ... 630  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm paranoid that the dentist didn't do my root canal properly (which took 2 days !) because the amount of pain I'm still in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:30 pm 
Semen Strong

I went to a pick your own farm that had a little petting zoo. A few vegan friends had said that it was easy to avoid the animals, so we went with our friends. Turns out there are little paddocks in the parking lot and then you have to walk past little paddocks to go to the bathrooms and the corn maze, orchards etc. And of course Leela loved seeing the animals, but it was such a harsh contrast to the way the animals are treated at the sanctuary we go to. When we go to for the Animals sanctuary, you really see each animal's personality and they are in such good health. Here I could see a few animals who were limping or had other issues, and it was just sad to see them in such tight spaces without a proper way to express their animal natures. There were about 15 gooses and ducks in a tiny enclosure with a little kiddie pool which was sad. And then I saw a few turkeys who happened to peck at the little fingers pushed through the gate at them, thinking they were food, and then the little boys started to kick at them through the fence, and their father, standing right next to them did nothing.

And then I was sitting by the pigs, and the little piglet came over and lay in front of me so I could pet his belly. I didn't motion to him or anything, he just came over. And my friends (who aren't vegan) were joking that animals love me because they know I'm vegan and I'm the only person there who doesn't smell like hotdogs (which are sold right next to the animal area). It was just sad and I wished I could take the piggies home and give them a nice life. I hate petting zoos and really anything where animals are used as entertainment.

We had an awesome time once we got into the orchards and started goofing off and collecting fruit.

This is such a vegan complaint - there were thousands of people there, and people seemed to be having such a great time, and I know I've read so many comments that the animals seem really well treated etc, so its nice to have a place to vent that I thought that it was horrible and it made me sad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

poor animals, petting zoos make me so sad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jdfunks wrote:
I'm paranoid that the dentist didn't do my root canal properly (which took 2 days !) because the amount of pain I'm still in.

<3 I hope you feel better soon!

I just had a bride call me at 1:37 AM regarding her wedding tomorrow (I'm her event coordinator), yelling at me for the fourth time today regarding something far beyond my control. That is the last time I am ever giving my cell phone number to work clients. I do not get paid even close to enough for that shiitake. I only answered because I think it is sad that she is up and angry at this time the morning of her wedding, and well, because I'M up trying to decompress from the wedding I ran tonight. This bride personal assistant BS isn't even my job--I'm just stepping up and taking it on because the person who is supposed to do it has mono, and I'm the only sucker willing to take on five or six peoples' jobs because I have stupid integrity and hate seeing things ignored/executed poorly at work.

At least tonight's (well, last night's at this point) wedding went gorgeously. The bridge and groom were the sweetest and they both gave me many hugs, a bottle of their top shelf wine, and some homemade applesauce.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:37 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Tofulish wrote:
I hate petting zoos and really anything where animals are used as entertainment. We had an awesome time once we got into the orchards and started goofing off and collecting fruit.

Petting zoos upset me beyond words, too. I find that it's hard to explain to people --- even why I avoid most of Stadspark (the biggest park in town) because it has a petting zoo and "ride tiny ponies" center for kids. It sucks to be confronted with that kind of stuff so directly and unexpectedly. I'm happy you could enjoy the rest of the day, t'lish, and I hope those animals get even better treatment.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I went to a concert at a festival this spring and they had a unexpected (by me at least) petting zoo and pony rides. Poor animals. I think they were also farm animals destined to eventually be killed. They were all babies. It was terrible and ruined the day for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 am 
Semen Strong

I knew I'd find commiseration here! Its hard to explain that to other people, because I don't think people realize how much space or other support animals need, because if you only ever see animals in zoos etc, you think this is normal. Some of the other omni parents I know who are really kind people had said that they like this petting zoo because the animals have space and are clearly well treated. But I know that for the Animals, our local sanctuary is very short on space and they have designed their fields to give the most amount of animals the amount of space that their species would require, which means that the animals have enough space to wander around, they have places to retreat to, they have very different entertainments, the pigs have watering holes, scratching posts etc, and everyone gets so much love and care. This farm had so many animals lumped into one enclosure that it was clearly stressing them out, and they had nowhere to go to just be animals. Just another reminder of why we need to support for the Animals! And we are so lucky to have a sanctuary close by so L can see how animals should be treated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:36 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

We did a flea market today.We were told when we signed up that it would be great for crafters. They really wanted us there because we were what they wanted for this season. I sold nothing. Not one thing. My partner sold enough and only enough to cover our table fee.
It was abysmal. We really need a way to figure this out.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:00 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My teenage brother had a ten hour asthma attack on Saturday and he and his dad spent sixteen hours in hospital and turned up here at ten last night having been awake for about 40 hours (because they were at a wedding and my house is nearer than their house). Poor fella.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am 
Lime and a Coconut

This is a total FWP, but my co-worker's only kid just got engaged and she cannot stop talking about it. On the spectrum of people who get excited about weddings, I am far down on the "couldn't give less of a shiitake" end. I guess they're talking about doing a destination wedding in Mexico, to which they downgraded after deciding that maybe not all their guests could afford to attend a destination wedding in Thailand. Destination weddings are atrocious- unless it's a really small group of very close friends and immediate family who are excited to attend, you're basically forcing all your friends to use their vacation time on work and their savings to attend your special day. I'm sorry, but if I can't escape after 3 hours and be at home on my own couch at the end of the night, I'm not going. I'm not letting someone else plan my vacation for me!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

A friend sent me a couple racist emails today.

Worse, they were all really manipulatively worded. Top paraphrase: "This entire group of people are the worst! So tell me if you don't want to talk to me again."

I don't really know how that's related at all, aside from it's something that would anger me and ordinarily make me respond. I'm working on boundaries with this person right now though. So that's fun.

I am having issues with my insurance so I haven't been able to get my migraine preventives. I've been miserable all week and just trying to stay on top of school work and my job search stuff. It would be SO COOL to have friends who respected that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am 
ugh

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
This is a total FWP, but my co-worker's only kid just got engaged and she cannot stop talking about it. On the spectrum of people who get excited about weddings, I am far down on the "couldn't give less of a shiitake" end. I guess they're talking about doing a destination wedding in Mexico, to which they downgraded after deciding that maybe not all their guests could afford to attend a destination wedding in Thailand. Destination weddings are atrocious- unless it's a really small group of very close friends and immediate family who are excited to attend, you're basically forcing all your friends to use their vacation time on work and their savings to attend your special day. I'm sorry, but if I can't escape after 3 hours and be at home on my own couch at the end of the night, I'm not going. I'm not letting someone else plan my vacation for me!

What do you mean by "forcing"? Is your friend the type that thinks you are the WORST FRIEND EVER if you don't go? That is a thing that happens and I hate when people are like that. (Honestly that kind of entitlement irks me for any wedding, even ones that don't require a lot of travel. Buying fancy clothes/gifts/etc. isn't something everyone can do!) But I don't think destination weddings are necessarily bad if the hosts are understanding towards guests who can't attend.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 am 
ugh

paperweight wrote:
A friend sent me a couple racist emails today.

Worse, they were all really manipulatively worded. Top paraphrase: "This entire group of people are the worst! So tell me if you don't want to talk to me again."

I don't really know how that's related at all, aside from it's something that would anger me and ordinarily make me respond. I'm working on boundaries with this person right now though. So that's fun.

You're not on Facebook, right? Your friend sounds like the sort that posts those "97% of people will ignore this, let's see which 3% are my TRUE FRIENDS!!!11!1" things. I am sorry that kind of awfulness made its way into your email.

(I'm assuming it's the mass-email-forward kind of thing? If it's just, like, a personal email to you with a bunch of racist stuff that's even worse. Good luck with your boundary enforcement.)

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Feeling like I've alienated former coworkers and don't know why. I'm thinking about returning to my former job and have reached out to a couple of them via Facebook messages and they haven't responded. I was a good coworker, got along with others, and never had any complaints. I'm not sure why they're not replying but it's making me feel like the worst person ever, and I don't know what I've done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:49 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm having a really really really bad ethical dilemma at work and I don't know what to do. I feel sick over it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ScooterDiva wrote:
Feeling like I've alienated former coworkers and don't know why. I'm thinking about returning to my former job and have reached out to a couple of them via Facebook messages and they haven't responded. I was a good coworker, got along with others, and never had any complaints. I'm not sure why they're not replying but it's making me feel like the worst person ever, and I don't know what I've done.

I had the same problem. I had no option but to return to that workplace in the end. The way I see it, it just reinforced that I need to be careful with who I consider a friend. Even though I now keep my distance with those people I have made new friends in the workplace and work wise I am the happiest I have been in years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Hey SD, are you thinking about going back to Colorado? I hope you're doing okay. I know you were having a really difficult time with your ex for a while. <3 Sending lots of good thoughts <3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm 
We So Excited

Tripped on a kid's skateboard (who I've told to store it away and not leave it by his desk) and fell into the row of students, where a boy grabbed my forearms so I didn't fall entirely. Hurt my already sore back. Was so mad and shook up I walked off before saying anything stupid and left skateboard kid freaked out, later was able to graciously accept his apology and his promise not to bring skateboard back to class.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:49 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My doctor's office totally screwed up my physical therapy referral so I couldn't start today and my hand is losing ground plus it hurts.

And one of our foster cats was diagnosed with cancer today. If they take more tissue out and do radiation he might have a normal lifespan (he's five).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My aunt died on Monday. I know that now she is no longer suffering, but gosh it's just so hard to deal with. I took the day off yesterday, got some doughnuts, and caught up on schoolwork that i didn't do Monday. I need to go to school today but i keep having random bursts of sadness. I guess i will e-mail my teachers and tell them if i get up randomly and leave the classroom, that's why.
I feel sick to my stomach and don't wanna eat. I made a smoothie but i know that will only last me an hour or so. Usually when i am sad i can still eat sweet things really easily, but that is not the case right now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

annabazoo wrote:
My aunt died on Monday. I know that now she is no longer suffering, but gosh it's just so hard to deal with. I took the day off yesterday, got some doughnuts, and caught up on schoolwork that i didn't do Monday. I need to go to school today but i keep having random bursts of sadness. I guess i will e-mail my teachers and tell them if i get up randomly and leave the classroom, that's why.
I feel sick to my stomach and don't wanna eat. I made a smoothie but i know that will only last me an hour or so. Usually when i am sad i can still eat sweet things really easily, but that is not the case right now.

Oh, annabazoo! Huge hugs! I am so sorry for your loss. I think your teachers will definitely understand if you clue them in. In my experience, teachers are incredible kind if they know what's going on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yes, i e-mailed my teachers yesterday and everyone was supporting. I know i could stay home again today, but i feel like it would be better for me to get out of the house. Otherwise i will just stay home and mope, and then have a bunch of make-up work to do later. But it's so much easier for me to sit on the couch and snuggle with my cat and cry than it is to get dressed and try to learn German. Everything i had to do was carefully scheduled, but now it's all been flipped around and on top of that i don't feel like i can do anything productive. It's especially hard because i am far away from my family. At least my cat is here, so i am not entirely alone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:23 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Got yet another rejection letter from a job I applied for. Feeling very down and incredibly lonely the last few days. I switched to working nights at my job so now I feel like I'm stuck at home all day with nothing to do, not fun at all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm having a bad day. First I went for coffee with an old colleague who unfriended me on Facebook back when I lost my job. I could never figure out why, well today she told me it was because my post(s) (about 3 in total) about losing my job were unprofessional. All of my entries were friends-only and she was one of only a handful of trusted colleagues on my friends list, but I'm trying to take her point. It still stings to be criticized, though.

Then I had a phone interview that I sounded like a total idiot during. I've lost all my confidence when it comes to my skills, and I am having a very hard time trying to sell myself as a winning candidate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:57 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

My boss pulled everyone into this office individually to tell us he is eliminating benefits. I have 6 more weeks of health insurance.

Just whatever with this place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531, 532 ... 630  Next