| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547 ... 619  Next
 Post subject: Re: What was the worst thing about your day?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Going to get new phone turned into a nightmare. Who knew a mall had two different Macys? Had to walk far looking for car that was moved and my dad had no phone so I had to get a new SIM card. Everybody pissed off. I feel like a horrible person for wanting to go. I fell while walking aeound the mall outside looking for the car and now my hand hurts and my back is at critical state again instead of a little better from staying in bed since yesterday afternoon.

Things I've learned this week: I need to go to work, come straight home and not try to leave the house.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:07 am 
Saggy Butt

yikes, i'm so sorry, lavawitch. that sounds really painful. i hope you have some time to recover this weekend. :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:
that's really interesting to think about. i've been doing volunteer work for most of my life and can only think of one single group i worked with that had no agenda whatsoever except to serve. isn't that remarkable, so many years and only one example.
i used to volunteer with this guy http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/0 ... n1rePmko0M
he was connected to, if i recall, the male equivalent of mother teresa's religious service group and developed his own homeless outreach, clinic, day shelter, and hospice. while there i volunteered with several guys, i don't want to call them monks, but they were catholic men dedicated to service, i guess.
but i never ever would have known that if i hadn't had a long talk with one of my coworkers the last day before i left, their beliefs were irrelevant to the work we did. these guys taught me a lot about what service really was and how to really, truly walk the walk.
while in tokyo and other places i also volunteered with other homeless outreach and they were all alterior-motive types, blatantly so.

ETA: i am embarrassed to say that most of the quaker work i've been involved with meant really well but didn't come close to simple, plain service without any hope of changing the recipients of the service. as quakers i think we sometimes get tangled up in our own desires for others without being willing to accept the recipients the way they are. i can only speak for my experience, hopefully someone else has better things to say about quakers.

ETA yet again to apologize that the Japan times has cut out all the profile stories of the guy and that was the only one i could find. the NGO is called Sanyukai and it specifically supports the housing, food, and medical needs of homeless, addicted, low-caste people living in the day laborer district of Tokyo (Sanya, which has mostly wiped off the map and renamed in Tokyo's endless attempts to hide the homeless.)

My experience with Quakers (at least the ones I roll with) is that while we do a lot of work with the intent of changing the recipients of the service, the ways in which we want to motivate people to change are things like "don't shoot people" and "examine your race privilege", not so much things like "come to Jesus". I have an obvious bias in that I am a Quaker and I do want people to change in ways that make them not shoot people, examine their race privilege, etc. But I don't think it's wrong for a component of service to be to try to inspire people to be better. Quakers are certainly not perfect in any way, but we don't tend to try to push people to change their religion. I've done a lot of Quaker service work and I've never experienced or witnessed anyone trying to convert or proselytize under the guise of Quaker service. I'd be interested to hear more about your experience though, as it sounds different from mine!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My dad's in the hospital recovering from kidney removal and now my grandma is in a (different) hospital with crazy high blood sugar and who knows what else. My mom is the one nearby and so she's running back and forth and always visiting someone in the hospital. I'm worried about her most of all. I'm far away and can't be there to help and I feel awful about it.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

hope things calm a bit and your folks heal up, lobster.

CQ, I thought you'd have something to add. Getting people to change in a way that involves not shooting people is indeed a good thing! ha.
i guess maybe it depends on the type of work you're doing as well- so much of the homeless stuff, which was what i always have worked with, not mediation or non-violence (where your goal is change), involves direct "come to jesus" or "you need to stop using crack" or other such things, and it was very remarkable that so few people just approached it like, guy living on the street is cold and hungry, what can we do to make his day better? I understand there are financial barriers to this approach, if your money is coming from a charity, but i wish it didn't have to be.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 pm 
Chip Strong

ND lost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:10 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

monkeytoes wrote:
Oh, and my douchey sort of boss is doing his level best to make me cry one last time before I leave, accusing me of not having done any work all week long. Funny given that it was HIS client that called me up the other day to tell me how much my hard work was appreciated. Biker boy pointed out that he's just scared of me leaving and how shitty it will be for him after I leave and is making the separation easier on himself be being mad at me. He's right but understanding that does not make it any easier to put up with.

Can you call in sick on the last day of work?

Is it an option to tell your boss he sucks (in the last week) cause you're getting fired anyway?

I mean, you're losing your job anyway, so you might as well stand up against what he's saying?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yes, do what veg_eric said!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

a lymph node is so swollen that it actually hurts, and I have(/had) no other symptom of any illness. others seem okay(ish), but I'd be lying if I said it didn't pretty much ruin my Saturday. buhhhhhhhfuckit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Veg_Eric wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:
Oh, and my douchey sort of boss is doing his level best to make me cry one last time before I leave, accusing me of not having done any work all week long. Funny given that it was HIS client that called me up the other day to tell me how much my hard work was appreciated. Biker boy pointed out that he's just scared of me leaving and how shitty it will be for him after I leave and is making the separation easier on himself be being mad at me. He's right but understanding that does not make it any easier to put up with.

Can you call in sick on the last day of work?

Is it an option to tell your boss he sucks (in the last week) cause you're getting fired anyway?

I mean, you're losing your job anyway, so you might as well stand up against what he's saying?

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Yes, do what veg_eric said!

Oh, I do stand up to him. And I have told him that he sucks. In those words and a lot of similar ones. But I have to make nice a little bit because of a stupid complicated pay issue with my commission and how I have to go back in on the 22nd to get my share of October commissions and I am afraid I am going to get screwed. I'd call in sick but sick time and vacation all come out of the same PTO bank and I will get paid out for my unused PTO when I leave so I don't want to waste it. I'd rather suffer than give up the money, I guess.

Today's worst thing is my horrible run/post-run experience. I have had three late nights in a row so I wasn't feeling great and I dragged my feet all day about going running. I almost turned around 20 minutes in and went home, which would have been cutting my workout about in half. I probably should have. Instead, around the hour point I got some really painful reflux symptoms and suffered through it for awhile before I ended up walking the last 10 minutes or so. Then I realized that I am teetering on the brink of a gigantic canker sore. Then I barely made it home and upstairs before throwing up. I took some tums and between that and throwing up, the reflux pain is a little better but not a lot. Then I took a shower and when I got out my torso and neck were all red and blotchy and itchy, like big red blotches and small bug-bite sized bumps. I took some benadryl and it's a calming down some. But man, I am a wreck. :/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Oh nooo monkeytoes, that's awful! I hope you feel better soon.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 pm 

A complete stranger called me a "forking fat baguette" and tried to beat me up at the train station today. Fortunately she was too drunk to actually do anything besides yell at me while I ran away. I'm still kind of in shock, so the whole thing seems slightly hilarious to me right now...she was yelling stuff like "look at your stupid rainbow scarf" and "I bet you love to [insert list of sexual activities here]", it was so absurd! but eventually I'm going to kinda realize what happened and I'm not really sure how I'm going to feel or react when that sets in.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm 

choirqueer wrote:
A complete stranger called me a "forking fat baguette" and tried to beat me up at the train station today. Fortunately she was too drunk to actually do anything besides yell at me while I ran away. I'm still kind of in shock, so the whole thing seems slightly hilarious to me right now...she was yelling stuff like "look at your stupid rainbow scarf" and "I bet you love to [insert list of sexual activities here]", it was so absurd! but eventually I'm going to kinda realize what happened and I'm not really sure how I'm going to feel or react when that sets in.

The filters made this even more absurd. Believe me, she did not call me a loaf of bread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

choirqueer wrote:

Jesus, I'm sorry, CQ. I hope you have people in your life you can talk to when it does start to set in.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:47 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm so sorry, CQ. Are you going to file a police report?

Why are people such crassholes?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:19 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Look at you, wearing things that you make that are warm and look nice. Menace to society right there.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Urgh, that's so horrible, choirqueer. I'm jealous of you being able to pull off purple hair, and only very misguided people can't tell that rainbow scarfs are the best kind. I hope she wakes up with a terrible hangover, realises what a horrible thing she did and feels really ashamed and tries to do some good deeds to atone. And I hope you are fully aware of how awesome you are.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

choirqueer wrote:

My God, CQ, I am so sorry. I'm glad you are ok.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:23 am 

aelle wrote:
choirqueer wrote:

My God, CQ, I am so sorry. I'm glad you are ok.

This. I just audibly gasped. What a cruel, compassionless jerk wad. I am so, so sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:02 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm so sorry CQ. I'm thankful you were able to get away and horrified that it happened in the first place. Sending you many good thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 am 
ugh

So sorry (and angry!) about what happened to you CQ. I hope you're doing okay today.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm glad you are physically ok CQ, and so sorry something so awful and scary happened to you. Little did she know she chose one of the most creative, kind, and generally awesome members of society to harass. (Not that boring people deserve to be harassed either!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:51 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Glad you're ok, CQ. That seems like a scary experience, even if it's totally absurd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:56 am 
Dead by dawn

kilgore trout wrote:
Oh nooo monkeytoes, that's awful! I hope you feel better soon.

Appears to have been nothing a couple doses of bendryl and 12+ hours of sleep couldn't fix. Even the canker sore didn't manifest - is it possible to get hives inside your mouth, I wonder?

I'm so sad and angry over what happened to you, cq! What the hell is wrong with people? I don't suppose it makes it any easier to deal with people like that knowing that they must be deeply miserable with themselves to turn it outward like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:12 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Jesus CQ, I'm so sorry. I saw that on FB this morning. I hope you're doing okay and taking care of yourself. <3

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 541, 542, 543, 544, 545, 546, 547 ... 619  Next